Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29
Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)
Author
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
I don't know if that's applicable or not. I make the MKVs myself in Handbrake.

From what source? Not everything can deal with DVD subtitles in MKV files.
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
It... works like any other headphone jack I've ever used.

The main issue is that, because of the shape of the iPad, a small part of the plug on the headphones will always be exposed.

It just needed a bit more force that what it usually takes, is all.

HimuraBattousai wrote:
From what source? Not everything can deal with DVD subtitles in MKV files.

From DVD. I suppose I'll have to see what other methods there are to get it working. Rip the subtitles seperately then add them back in, perhaps.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
From DVD. I suppose I'll have to see what other methods there are to get it working. Rip the subtitles seperately then add them back in, perhaps.

Actually, to overcome it you'd need to hardsub it ("burn in" the subtitles) when doing the encode in Handbrake.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe. But I like the convenience of dual language, so burnt-in subtitles could be distracting.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fair enough, though often you have to choose between one convenience and another.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set the default flag on the VOBSUB track in Handbrake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Set the default flag on the VOBSUB track in Handbrake.

I do.
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got a problem with kids pc. Everything works fine bar the keyboard. i've put in a few different ones and they don't work at all. On the rare occasion that it has, it shuts down the pc and reboots it.

Thoughts? Help?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dodgy USB connector?

The Tragic Man wrote:
I do.

Then you have broken player software.

VLCStreamer will handle VOBSUBs in MKVs, but it has some funny ideas about placement, and they often get cropped.

Best thing you can do is re-encode the MKVs to MP4s with hardsubbing, and just put them on the iPad that way. Until Apple adds native MKV support to Quicktime on iOS, MP4 is better because you get hardware-accelerated playback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Until Apple adds native MKV support to Quicktime on iOS,

Yeah, not holding my breath on that one.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kbz333 wrote:
Got a problem with kids pc. Everything works fine bar the keyboard. i've put in a few different ones and they don't work at all. On the rare occasion that it has, it shuts down the pc and reboots it.

Thoughts? Help?

I'd say that the USB socket's cooked. Though with the amount of ambient particle matter in the house, I'm actually really surprised that this hasn't happened sooner.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know javascript?

[I need to do some dynamic html and my xxx.innerhtml = xml_etc.responseText doesn't seem to work. At all.]
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorted it. Bastard.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
GIF is pronounced "jif". Who kknew.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
GIF is pronounced "jif". Who kknew.

Won't change how I say it.

Okay so I'm having an issue with my newish laptop, most of it's issues are based around the DVD drive.
My biggest problem shall be explained here:

Okay so at the moment I am watching a movie, every 7-10 minutes the drive starts making loud noises and the movie begins to... well- for want of a better word, "lag". It is almost like watching a short slideshow of every few frames and that lasts a while.
I have tried taking out the disc and restarting but it doesn't make a difference.
Sometimes it's worse than others.

Now this has only ever happened with Blu-Ray discs in the past (Every Blu-Ray disc I've tried, for the record), this has only happened with one DVD thus far but if I recall correctly this isn't how it works when the disc is damaged so I would opt to rule that possibility out.

If anyone knows anything about this or how to fix it I would appreciate it greatly.
Thank you.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe your 'player' itself needs updating for more optimal experience.
Eg. PowerDVD itself can be updated.

I haven't even updated my PowerDVD yet because I'm so far satisfied with it, but there is latest patch for your player then download it and install it.
But only update if your having trouble with playing.
Like if it's working then why try and fix it with more updates if your satisfied with it.
But so far your not satisfied with your outcome so your player might need updating.

Also your DVD/Blu-Ray drive might need a new firmware update aswell.
My LG Blu-Ray writer Drive software automatically scans for updated firmware and thus far I've done one firmware update for it.

But you've said it only happens on DVD's now and not on Blu-ray's like in the past.
It's possible that any new updates were only for Blu-Ray updates and not for any DVD updates.

Also your drive could possibly going on the way out.
Like it works on some certain media than others.
This happened to me once when my previous drive couldn't load certain disc media, but for some strange reason I could still load some Audio CD's but 90% of other media discs failed.
It was a sign the drive was faulty in some way and slowly dying.

I don't know what player your using, as your not mentioning anything you use to play DVD's and Blu-Ray, so it's hard to workout your problem with such little detail.

I'm an I.T guy and if you have a problem please put MORE DETAIL to the problem as it greatly helps.
eg.DVD Drive - what model, type, software your using, latest version of software, firmware version of drive...those are just some of the basic things that can help an I.T technician.

It could be the fact the drive may just getting old as I don't know how old your notebook is, and how often do you use it to play Discs?
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:

But you've said it only happens on DVD's now and not on Blu-ray's like in the past.
It's possible that any new updates were only for Blu-Ray updates and not for any DVD updates.

I must have worded it wrong- the Blu-Ray errors are not fixed, just that this is the first time it's happened with a DVD.

The player I use is Media Player Classic (though for the record PowerDVD is the only program that works with my Blu-Rays, I don't watch BDs often thankfully, I loathe the layout of the program)
And I believe my disc drive is "hp BD CMB UJ160" (in the drive properties it says Version 6.2.9200.16384. But it also says that it's from 2006, and I don't think that sounds right for a Blu-Ray drive on a new computer model), on an HP laptop I only received in January of this year. (I think I fruitlessly searched for an update for the drive back when I was trying to get BDs working on Media Player Classic so I could put fansubs to a BD I had ordered from Japan, beyond that it seems my drive also hates Region Free BDs -.-)
I have the latest version of the player (at least whatever came with the latest Combined Community Codec pack because I'm classy like that)

I don't suppose that is at all useful? (I plan to watch more DVDs tonight if I don't end up watching Hannibal so I can mention if the drive accepts other DVDs like it has previously if that helps too)
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok Thanks for the reply back.

Hmm..OK it's called stuttering playback problem.
A new update optimal support could fix this problem on some players, BUT depending on your player an update may or may NOT fix the problem but it's worth a try.
eg. Some players get updates to latest version to get more optimal and more Blu-ray support and such, but that doesn't mean they've fix every single problem for all drives.

As for firmware updates it doesn't matter what year or date as long as it's the latest one up from what's currently installed but sometimes you might NOT NEED a firmware update or they might not be anymore firmware updates available.
This 'Version 6.2.9200.16384' is NOT firmware of your drive its just the version of cdrom.sys which is a drive system file of windows.

To find your firmware version:
Go to Device manager => 'your drive' properties => detail tab and go to property device description selection and choose => 'Hardware Ids' and look at the last number AFTER your model number it should be the firmware version number.
As you can see Firmware model numbers are generally different to file versions.
eg. My drive is LG Blu-ray writer but the model would be: BH10LS30 and the firmware version is 1.01.
So your would be something similar to like Model HP BDCMBUJ160 with something like version 1.00 or similar.

There's also other ways of finding your firmware version like using 'discinfo' on Nero burning software would list your current drives version.

As for updating firmware I would be EXTREMELY careful when doing firmware update cause you can kill the drive if loading the wrong firmware.
But in some cases firmware can unlock the drive to RPC1 so that it's region free but I don't know if all drives today can do that since most drives today are RPC2.

Media player Classic...that program is a bit EWWW and that could be the cause of your stuttering problem as that program might NOT be a stable program for playback.
But if that's the only program you use for certain discs and regions, then it's really up to you really if you want to keep using it.
I myself have to use PowerDVD for Blu-ray's but even though I still kinda hate PowerDVD due to it's region locking on Blu-rays and DVD's, but I have heard it can be hacked it so that it doesn't ask for region selection but that's another story.

My advice is get a different player that allows region free or doesn't even ask for region selection.
One good program is VLC player as it can play all sorts of media and even streaming media and even has frequent software updates to their program and also it's absolutely Freeware.
But it' your choice as I don't necessarily use my PC for playing DVD any how, but VLC is good for streaming media and other media files.

As for firmware updates may not be necessary, but if it fixes the problem then go for it.
But it's your choice, so make sure you do your research before you make any changes.

But if stuttering is a hardware problem then that's something else entirely.
Your problem maybe hard to fix as it could be a number of things and also your running from a notebook.
I have to say I HATE notebooks as they can be dodgy when it comes to playing DVD's as sometimes there problematic.

But I hope this info helps you...good luck.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My old iPod has frozen up on me. I think it happened when I plugged it into my new PC. I already had iTunes on there and just plugged it in - the automatic device installation seemed to work fine.

So is there some way I can force it to reboot? Right now it is completely unresponsive.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can reset iPods. Not knowing which model you've got, all I can do is point you to Apple's page.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks - got it all sorted out. Cool
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reposted from the Blu-Ray discussion because I decided it's better off here.

I received a Blu-Ray today in my quest to get all my old favourites on BD to kick-start a good BD collection, and multiple sources have stated that the disc is region free as well as the box having no specified region on it but whenever I open the disc in PowerDVD (I hate that player but it's the only software that I have that will play Blu-Ray discs for me) it tells me there is a region coding mismatch. Any ideas? (I wasn't sure if this should go in computer help or Blu-Ray discussion Confused )

Blu-Ray : Brave Story (JP) - WBA-86856
Software : PowerDVD (Not sure which version as I can't find an "about" prompt, but it's either the latest or second to latest if one came out in the last few months)
Disc Drive/Player Model : hp BD CMB UJ160

For what it's worth I've had lots of trouble with region free Blu-Ray discs from Japan overall. I mean my Eva, Madoka and Eden of the East BDs from Japan play fine, and a region free I got from South Korea works fine too, but I've had extreme difficulty with my AKB0048 discs as well.
EDIT: In extension of all this- What player does everyone else use for Blu-Ray Discs on their computers, as I want to find a less bulky and more friendly alternative to PowerDVD
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if it's any help, but some BDs have country lockouts. They're seperate to region codes (RCs). For instance, some anime BDs (I think NISA have done it) have flags set that allow playback on any device in any country (RC permitting) except Japan. I just wonder if the reverse is happening here. Locking out all countries bar Japan?

I don't know how PowerDVD would handle it. It may be based on your computer's settings, rather than a setting in the player software.
chippy
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe try changing your windows region to US instead of AUS
I find that fixes some old issues with regions back in the windows xp days (havent needed to do anything like that for years)
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
PowerDVD itself has region locking unfortunately.
I have a Blu Ray burner myself in my PC and as soon as I inserted a region B disc for the first time it set PowerDVD to region B for Blu ray discs.

Windows operating system itself doesn't have region setting for BD but only for DVD.
SO don't need to worry about Windows settings for blu ray.
It's only DVD's you need to worry about.

I had the same trouble with an "All region" anime DVD that was of Region 1 origin.
Even though the disc is labelled "all region" your player such as PowerDVD or even windows will pick it up as Region 1 as the "country of origin" from where the disc came from.
So yeah even discs have country locking even though they are region free disc.

See that's the trouble with playing DVD's and BD on PC's is that both the OS and your player have region locking.
But when it comes to only BD, your player such as PowerDVD will pick up another region disc even if its labelled "all region".

But it really depends on who makes the disc too.
Some region free discs require you to have already set your drive or players setting to a specific region as your preferred country of origin region...such as Australia's region settings.
But as soon as you insert a American or Japanese disc that's region free your player may still pick it up as another country.

It's really no win situation with playing DVD's or BD on PC's as region locking is a nuisance with PC's.

First you have Windows own DVD region locking and then you have PowerDVD which has it's own region locking for both DVD and BD.

It's very hard to be completely region free on PC's unless you have a RPC I (region free drive), and also you'll have to have a hack program so that you can reset your region settings back and forth to unselected region setting as many times as you like.

Your problem is probably PowerDVD sensitivity to region settings even though the disc is region free.
I wouldn't be Windows since Windows doesn't have BD settings in your drive properties.

Page 29 of 29

Jump to: