Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)
Author
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah that model had a few problems with other wireless devices. I used the same keyboard when that model came out, except it kept interfering with my mouse so I changed. most microsoft keyboard have the same issue, you may want to go for a logitech keyboard instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
I like the way you think HB

So do I. Smile
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It just me, or does Vista take forever to update? It's downloaded 5GB, and is saying it's only 16% done. WTF?

On the plus side, aside from a lot of irritation installing the case-top firewire port, and the liquid cooling system (for a huge case, it's pretty cramped when you try to fit a pump in), the box looks awesome, and was fun to assemble. Got my TV tuner working in it with no problems, only problem is my Blu-Ray player still hasn't arrived, so I'm having to borrow a spare IDE DVD drive until it does.

Also, the case is a lot bigger in person than it looked on the website.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inniss 1428 wrote:
It just me, or does Vista take forever to update? It's downloaded 5GB, and is saying it's only 16% done. WTF?

Service Pack 1 got released officially today.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cripes, how big is it?
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:
Cripes, how big is it?

SP1? Not sure. I'm DLing 59 updates, a chunk of which are language compatabilities. Another chunk is prolly the two Ultimate extras I'm getting too. Only just installed Vista Ultimate last night, so I'm having to download every update since whenever it is the subscriber iso was updated last when my father made the disc.

EDIT: Also the % completion seems to have jumped considerably since with minimal increase to total DLed. I think it's counting the number of files, not file size. I hate it when it's done that way.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The update notification just popped up for me, it says 65-427MB. I'll probably wait until tomorrow night when I can afford to stay up late enough to use our off-peak download quota.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
GRAWR! Every time I close a window, of any sort, it's giving an APPCRASh error instead of just closing. It's getting very annoying, and I haven't been able to find a solution on the Microsoft site yet.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems my network issue may be caused by Vista's automatic wireless connector monitor service (WLAN AutoConfig), which scans for a better connection every 60 seconds, hence the lag spikes. I'm in the process of finding a workaround, since there apparently isn't a connection monitor provided by the maker of my network adapter.
Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's the score on formatting laptops? I don't have any of the disks with drivers or anything. Bad idea?

I've been given a laptop, so old it was for free.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometimes googling for drivers will get you what you need. Still, best to make sure and do that before formatting.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depending on who made the laptop you may even find a full set of drivers on the manufacturers website, I believe Dell are great for this (IIRC you enter the serial number and it brings up all the drivers), I'm not sure about other manufacturers but would imagine the bigger/better names are fairly similar.

I built my beast, but with only 4gb of ram for now (i'm actually still installing and copying files over to it), and so far it's very fast (not too surprising) and whisper quiet which surprised me a bit - although it's only got one of the 3 hard drives in it at the moment (the other 2 need to be moved from my older machine later).
The Sonata 550 case is very solid, and has some nice design features, like the hiding place for cables by the side of the hard drive bays - out of sight, and the pair of 92 fan mounts set to blow cool air from outside over the hard drives.
However it's got the one problem I always have with Antec cases - the lack of removable motherboard makes it very fiddly to fit a new motherboard and make all the connections (although the Asus easy connect things did help a bit).
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For those upgrading to SP1, it may work out better, bandwidth-wise, to use the standalone installer if you're upgrading multiple computers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
aye, it's about 400mb for the 32bit and 700mb for the 64 bit upgrade isn't it?

I spoke too soon with my previous post - I put the second memory module in, closed the case up and started to have problems, it's taken about 3 hours to (almost) definately rule the problem as being the second memory module.
I foolishly didn't check the memory first thing as I had tidied the cabling up at the same time and thought it was the power cable for the drive or something (what threw me was that it was crashing on entering windows after the second module was out - i didn't think about it having corrupted a windows file at first).

Lesson learned, check additional memory modules before booting into windows with them.

*mutters*
I guess i'll see how good Crucials' DOA RMA service is, hopefully I won't have to return both modules (it was bought a kit of two units).
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, replying to myself with a question for anyone who might be able to help Wink

In addition to my previous post, I booted up this morning to find i'm now having problems with the ram module that had worked fine yesterday.

I've tried disconnecting the hard and optical drives so it's just
1 ram module (crucial ddr2 800 2gb)
Q6600
Asus P5K premium motherboard
Asus ATI 3870 videocard
Antec 550 PSU

The memory has been tried in 3 different slots, and when it's got the hard drive/optical drives connected it's either freezing as it loads windows, or when I try to run the memory test on the vista install disk.
To rule them out I've tried it without them connected.

It's freezing at times even in the bios - I was going to update the bios using the ez flash utility (which is able to flash from a usb pen drive), but as the machine is stalling/freezing in the bios i'm not going to risk that;)
I've even tried it with a different keyboard (i've known faulty PS2 keyboards/mice to freeze a computer).

I'm guessing it's got to be the motherboard, videocard or CPU as they and the PSU are the only constants, but i'm not sure.

Any ideas?
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah that has to be the MotherBoard. Your BIOS is screwed chances are that it wasn't soldered properly the motoherboard has a small amount of onboard memory incase the RAM fails. when this happenes you can still access the bios but there is not enough to run programs. The BIOS should never freeze.

When you start up the computer how many beeps do you get (long/short)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just the normal one when I get any.

I'm inclined to agree with it being a motherboard problem, it's like something is heating up and as it heats up (and expands a bit) failing, as i've ruled out just about everything else (the machines now been rebuilt twice, once out of the case, i also checked the videocard in another machine).

[edit]
I remembered my nephews machine was based on the same series of motherboard* (plain P5k rather than the P5K Premium), so borrowed that earlier.
It's showing the same problems as my machine when using my memory in it, and memtest is showing millions of errors or simply locking up.

So I've either got a motherboard that has killed two memory modules, the memory is incompatible with the P5K series of motherboards, or I've got two faulty memory modules.

I'm going to ring Crucial Monday morning to arrange an RMA and ask them to check their online advisor is correct in recommending them for P5K motherboards.

*It must be my own memory going faulty - I was the one who specced and built his machine for Christmas, so how i'd forgotten...
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok I just tryed a similar setup which worked

P5K Premium/WiFi-AP
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Diamond ATI HD 3870 X2 videocard

with the memory I tryed
GeIL 2GB Dual Channel Kit PC-5300 (2x1GB)

That configuration worked for me
I don't have any crucial on hand so I can't test that but I wouldn't expect there to be any problems with using a different brand of memory.

I'm pretty sure that your problem is a factory issue so I hope you have warranty on all your parts.
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm looking for a cheap External Hard Drive.

Needs to be fast to write video to it.

Got any ideas?
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks CreapC Smile
I meant to post yesterday, I received some replacement RAM through from Crucial which appears to work fine (about 12-15 hours use including a couple of hours of portal and HL2).

It looks like they currently have at least two variants of the kit I bought, with slightly different part numbers (the main part number was the same, but the 3 digits after it were different), the new ram also had a pair of stickers each rather than one, and were made in Singapore rather than the US Smile

I'm guessing there is a slight difference in the manufacturing quality of the two kits, as that is the only thing I can think of (I've had exactly one faulty RAM module prior to this in the past 10 years and about a dozen machines).

El^Presidente, what connections do you have available on your PC?
And what sort of video? (divx requires much slower speeds than HD video editing;))
If if you've just got USB2 then almost an enclosure with a drive of your choice would probably get you 20-30MB/s* (minimum) from memory, and a lot of newer kit, including the ready to use drives from Seagate/WD should be much faster I believe.

If you've got an ESATA port on the PC you can get pretty much the same sort of transfer speeds as if the drive was internal (IIRC it's basically an SATA connector with the power lines added) - and some of the modern drives are pushing something like 80MB/s or more read/write speeds (I think the latest Seagates reckon on around 100MB/s).

*From memory the cheap enclosures I got a couple of years back managed around 20-30MB/s with Samsung 120gb PATA drives in them.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
After looking at compatibility list on the iTel website i noted that the Siemens speedstream 4200 wasn't on there, though after checking with Bigpond's list, alot of the same modems are compatibile with iTel as well.

So would i still be able to use the current one that Bigpond gave us temporarily just until we get around to buying another modem if there is too much issues with the current one we have?

I've asked on Whirlpool but i'm just asking around other places with knowledgeable folk as well
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Werewolfforhire wrote:

If you've got an ESATA port on the PC you can get pretty much the same sort of transfer speeds as if the drive was internal (IIRC it's basically an SATA connector with the power lines added) - and some of the modern drives are pushing something like 80MB/s or more read/write speeds (I think the latest Seagates reckon on around 100MB/s).

The Best Seagate drive runs at 120MB/s on SATAII, with power. Currently it's still better to go with a USB 2.0 exernal HDD because the SATA and SATAII drives have compatability issues and will not run on vista x64. This is due to a driver issue.

I'm assuming that you are trying to use the HDD on multiple computers. Most computers don't have SATA connections so you will need to keep that in mind. An alternative to an external HDD is to just use an IPod since they are reasonably fast and can store reasonable amounts of data with no need for extra software (not even ITunes).
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Werewolfforhire wrote:

El^Presidente, what connections do you have available on your PC?
And what sort of video? (divx requires much slower speeds than HD video editing;))
If if you've just got USB2 then almost an enclosure with a drive of your choice would probably get you 20-30MB/s* (minimum) from memory, and a lot of newer kit, including the ready to use drives from Seagate/WD should be much faster I believe.

*From memory the cheap enclosures I got a couple of years back managed around 20-30MB/s with Samsung 120gb PATA drives in them.

I have USB, probably USB2. Video needs to be able to handle HD (even though I'm not doing HD, it should be able to do it Razz)

Unfortunately I don't have an ESATA that I know of, I will have to double check.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
El^Presidente wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have an ESATA that I know of, I will have to double check.

If you have spare SATA ports on your board, all you need is an eSATA rear mount.
At least on my board (which came with a rear mount), it just had the standard SATA ports, plus a 4pin power port.
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope, no ESATA Sad

And I don't think I have a spare SATA port...so USB it is!
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
as someone who does alot with external drives i'm really suggesting to get a good case with both esata and usb2.0 and optionally firewire, e-sata cards are around the 40$ mark for pci-e ones and you will notice the speed difference and will be able to use it for HD work, having the usb2.0 on it is simply a compatibility thing, only use it when you have to .

the icy docks we've been getting in have been nice and they are screwless which is a big hand when you are swapping things in and out.

http://www.bigbruin.com/2007/icydockm664_6
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
beardedgeek wrote:
as someone who does alot with external drives i'm really suggesting to get a good case with both esata and usb2.0 and optionally firewire, e-sata cards are around the 40$ mark for pci-e ones and you will notice the speed difference and will be able to use it for HD work, having the usb2.0 on it is simply a compatibility thing, only use it when you have to .

the icy docks we've been getting in have been nice and they are screwless which is a big hand when you are swapping things in and out.

http://www.bigbruin.com/2007/icydockm664_6

pci-e you say...my motherboard doesn't have pci-e Razz It's more about future proofing it, as I'm looking at HD stuff possibly in the near future.

Ok I'm sold. So where can I order one of these online?
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
no idea i think we get them from digiworld in the city, i can grab one when i'm back in the country if you want.

you can use usb2.0 till you get esata but if you are going to use it as a working drive then you'll find esata is the only way to go, usb2.0 is fine for backups or extra storage , but yea as a working drive they take a far 3rd place to firewire and then esata
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HELP ME PLZ

I need to buy a new laptop since my current one is breaking. I don't want to spend over $1000 on it because I'm just not that rich. I spotted the Compaq Presario C742TU laptop, going for $799. Look wise, great. Spec wise, not bad. But the one thing I want to avoid is a slow/laggy laptop. This is what my current laptop is, and I will spend to avoid it lagging when running a few programs.

The important specs were:
Pentium Dual Core 1.6ghz
1 gig ram

Now I was reading around the internet and apparently 1 gig is not enough to run Vista Premium Home version or whatever it's called comfortably. Is this right? Cos if so I'm gonna look got a laptop with 2 gig ram though. Are the dual core processors good? Pretty much all the core 2 duo laptop's are too expensive for me though. But yeah, I just don't want a laggy laptop.
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vista Premium x32 will run on 1Gb ram however it will limit your applications to about 3 documents at a time. SP1 seems to have fixed this though and you can run more now because they solved some of their memory leak problems.
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, thanks for that. Is it better to go on 2gig ram though?

At JB hifi they have an Asus laptop going for $998. It's got:

AMD TK57 1.8ghz
2gig ram
160gig hard drive

The Compaq laptop (the one I'm talking about in the post above) is $750 and has:

Pentium Dual Core 1.6ghz
1gig ram
120gig HDD

Both running on Vista Home Premium. Is it worth the extra $250 to get the asus? It is a pretty nifty laptop, but it's only real difference is the extra ram and hard drive space. Both laptops are pretty thin and lightweight. And I'm not sure - is Pentium better than AMD?
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
With Vista, the more ram you have the better as it really is a system hog
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
Okay, thanks for that. Is it better to go on 2gig ram though?

At JB hifi they have an Asus laptop going for $998. It's got:

AMD TK57 1.8ghz
2gig ram
160gig hard drive

The Compaq laptop (the one I'm talking about in the post above) is $750 and has:

Pentium Dual Core 1.6ghz
1gig ram
120gig HDD

Both running on Vista Home Premium. Is it worth the extra $250 to get the asus? It is a pretty nifty laptop, but it's only real difference is the extra ram and hard drive space. Both laptops are pretty thin and lightweight. And I'm not sure - is Pentium better than AMD?

It usually depends on the rest of the hadware (most notably the gfx card). I'm assuming both are using on board graphics so it makes no difference. AMD used to have a better allround CPU however I would say Intel has finally surpassed them.

I would suggest going for the asus since the most important thing in a vista computer is, being at minimum a dual core and having as much memory as possible. what is the computer used for and can you supply the full computer quote?

On a seperate note. I'm thinking of upgrading my router to this . My network cards are all Netgear, so does anyone else have any suggestions on something different or is this really the best solution?
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's just going to be a student laptop, plus downloading. But the problem with my laptop is having a few big programs on brought on too much lag, and I want to avoid that as much as possible. So I might get the Asus. Hopefully I can bargain the price a bit lower. As long as AMD processors are fine, it'll be good. Is the AMD 1.8ghz going to be faster than the Pentium Dual Core 1.6ghz?
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
It's just going to be a student laptop, plus downloading. But the problem with my laptop is having a few big programs on brought on too much lag, and I want to avoid that as much as possible. So I might get the Asus. Hopefully I can bargain the price a bit lower. As long as AMD processors are fine, it'll be good. Is the AMD 1.8ghz going to be faster than the Pentium Dual Core 1.6ghz?

All modern desktop or laptop processors [not embedded jobbies] provide ample power for any reasonable use short of running a render farm or running high-end video games [this being much the same thing]. Even Vista don't care.

Buy the cheap one.

EDIT: I just realised... my render machine [actually, it does compression] runs on about the cheapest processor money can buy. So even for video processing it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Nargun on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ended up getting the Asus. I got $60 bucks off and it had more features and the casing is sturdy so it won't break like my last crappy laptop.

Now it's just getting used to Vista...
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vista is a bit different to XP, some of it is pretty darn good, other bits are just annoying.

I ended up building my brother a similar PC to my one, except he had an Asus P5K-E Wifi, and an Nvidia card.
IT went well apart from a few minor problems (his case is awful), but it's developed a fault.

The HDD (a Seagate 500gb) is giving error messages intermittently, so it's got to be RMA'd monday.
However it reckons it's reached over 70c at some point, which I think must be an error, as it's sat behind the intake fan with space all around it, and the case sits at about 32c, with the room temp at about 24c.

One thing it did show however, is that unlike XP which logs SMART/Drive errors and hides them away "You don't really want to know your drive is failing, do you?", Vista pops up warning messages as it picks up the problem Very Happy
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those Vista warnings for everything are getting annoying. >__<
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats why you upgrade to SP1 AND install the hotfix. If you forget the hotfix it will just drive you insane. The whole uninformative error message thing is because they wanted to try and copy firefox however firefox removed that after version 1.4.0. Vista seems to be a little behind the times. Really the only things good about vista are the ability to have more than 3.25gb memory and the x64 / x86 versions have alot less errors than XP x64.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
Those Vista warnings for everything are getting annoying. >__<

Rule #1 when starting Vista for the first time:
Turn off User Account Control!!!
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, but how do I stop it whining that I turned it off?
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Golf club?
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
go back to XP

Anime News Network Australia
Shinji 3.141
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
go back to XP

Thatís good advice; Vista is no real improvement over XP and not worth upgrading to, in my opinion.

CruelGenesis wrote:
Golf club?

What is it with you and Golf clubs?

Play Star Trek Online or Star Citizen? The Ausmonauts!
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yesterday our internet connection was churned over to Beagle from Bigpond and so far speeds have been pretty average on the most part.

In IRC i'm generally getting speeds no faster than 10kbs from most connections though i may hit a lucky one and get to around 30 odd kbs. Torrent wise its not too bad, best ive seen is 41kbs on one torrent for a good connection one. HTTP downloads are mixed, generally around 15-39kbs but if i download off an aussie server i hit max (53kbs) as today i was downloading off gamearena.

Does anyone know if there is any settings in the modem i could change?

I have a siemens speedstream 4200.
I was looking on Beagle's site for setup for ADSL to see what they and whatnot and the only thing i couldnt find was the MTU setting on my modem, so i'm not sure if it needs to be changed or not (everything else according to their settings were fine, just had to change the username and password.)

I've emailed tech support so i'm just waiting to hear back from them, also asked on whingepool, the Beagle rep pretty much just said to contact tech support anyway.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
An important lesson was learned today by myself.

Do not let younger brothers carry hard drives down the stairs.

He slipped and ended up dropping 3 drives from about the second step from the top of the stairs.

Fortunately he is fine (apart from a sore back and bum), the drives however sound like the frog chorus, or a swarm of locusts.
Luckily he was bringing them downstairs to go into the spares box, as we'd just fitted a second 500gb drive into his machine, so had taken out his older drives (after moving the contents over).

*mourns the loss of a 250gb a160gb drive, and a venerable 80gb WD drive*
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shinji 3.141 wrote:
Thatís good advice; Vista is no real improvement over XP and not worth upgrading to, in my opinion

I disagree, while Vista was dodgy at first, with service pack 1, and the better driver and software support it has now, Vista is worth using. I've been using it for awhile now, there's lots of things, both major and minor that I love about Vista over XP.
Shinji 3.141
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see, Iím not familiar with the updates and Iím curious, despite how many things love about it how many things do you still prefer about XP?

Play Star Trek Online or Star Citizen? The Ausmonauts!

Last edited by Shinji 3.141 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shinji 3.141 wrote:
What is it with you and Golf clubs?

WHAT IS IT WITH YOU NOT TAKING MY ADVICE D=
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I did a dumb thing and flashed my BIOS. I couldn't have been more stupid? Sure I can! I used the wrong BIOS update!

So, now my Acer only half works.

It all started when I discovered my VGA drivers where from 2005, despite the fact I installed 2007 drivers. So, I thought I must need to uninstall the 2005 drivers. Now, it won't take any drivers. So, I did some investigating, what I found out was I needed new motherboard drivers, easy enough, then I discovered I needed a BIOS update to fix some VGA issues. All this I get from all the manufacture's websites. There were very little instructions with the BIOS flash update and I'm convinced I used the wrong one, then used the right one on top of that, now it's f%@#ed. So, everything I did made it worse.

So, now, I'm running with no graphic acceleration and I have to manually select which "ch:" I boot with.

I just want to get my BIOS back in proper working order. I read that you can remove the battery and use the "jumper" to discharge and that will restore the BIOS to its original settings.

Then there is the issue of my graphics card. I should explain that this is a low end Acer Aspire desktop PC. I had a Geforce 6200 sitting around. I put it in. It worked well but couldn't support OpenGL for some reason. That's actually why I tried to update the VGA drivers. And that's it.

So, after all this, I've made more work for myself. Everytime I boot up I can some "Missing <insert random letter> Restart CTRL+ALT+DEL" and sometimes a "Checksum Error".

Yes, I've done a real number on this. I've been up for two days trying to fix this sh1t!

Page 4 of 29

Jump to: