Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Introvert's Random Thoughts on Haruhi Suzumiya

Introvert's Random Thoughts on Haruhi Suzumiya
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Introvert's Random Thoughts on Haruhi Suzumiya Reply with quote
My first post. Yay. Hello everyone.

I can finally inflict my random thoughts on you about volume one only days before volume two is released. But enough distraction...

Having watched V1 of Melancholy far too many times... actually that's noteworthy in it's own right. Usually I can watch something 2 maybe 3 times if it's good before it starts boring me spitless. Really good stuff I might be able to watch 3 or 4 times in a row... but this I've watch maybe a dozen times. And I still love it. That's unmatched for me. It is an excellent series.

Having watched it though I'm left with some questions, and have made some observations.

Such as why does Haruhi always lock the club room door? Or at least lock it when there is no chance of Kyon walking in and accidentily seeing Asahina with few cloths on. I wonder if this aspect of haruhi's character will ever get an explaination.

Having foolishly looked up information on the books the series is based on I've learnt a little about some of the things which should occur in the series future (provided it stays true to the books and gets continued) it was nice to see some foreshadowing occuring... although I am left curious if that was the result of the anime being made after the books so such things could be done easily, or if the author intended that from the beginning... If the books ever receive an official English translation and release I might have to look it up. (as for what the foreshadowing I noticed was... feel free to spoil yourself by looking up the wiki - then you too can spot these things)

Why did haruhi throw a ball onto the schools roof (when Kyon and co where hearing all about her middle school antics)?

I can't help thinking that the SOS Brigade is exactly what Haruhi wants. It has the alien, the time traveller and the esper. And what it also has is a real friend. It is made very clear in the first episode that Haruhi is fairly isolated. Direct references to her not being communicative, depictions of her spending her time alone, and then she sits symbolically isolated on the bench during the PE class scene (she sits at the far end of the bench as the only one on that bench, and as far from everyone else as possible) all suggests that Haruhi must be quite lonely. And then Kyon turns up and talks to her about things that interest her. So it's not that surprising that she latches onto him. And as much as she doesn't listen to Kyon, I can't help feeling that when it comes to important things he's pretty much the only one she listens to.

Actually I generally get the impression that the characters are well thought out, with their motives and actions likely to make sense and be consistant with what has gone before... of course I don't know if that will turn out to be the case in the long run. But it looks impressive so far. [hence my curiosity about whether haruhi's door locking habit will ever be explained]

Finally I really really hope the making of the student film is animated one day. The film is quite funny in it's own right, but the making of it must be hysterical.

I'm sure I've come across vague references to a subsequent season... but they are only vague, and not what I consider reliable. Does anyone here have the definitive word?
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Introvert's random thoughts Reply with quote
Introvert wrote:
Such as why does Haruhi always lock the club room door? Or at least lock it when there is no chance of Kyon walking in and accidentily seeing Asahina with few cloths on. I wonder if this aspect of haruhi's character will ever get an explaination.

That's one of the greatest pieces of evidence for the 'Man Behind the Curtain' hypothesis. It's not entirely incompatible with the 'Lock and Key' hypothesis either though. That or Haurhi's odder than most people think and actually wants Kyon to get an eyeful.

Introvert wrote:
I'm sure I've come across vague references to a subsequent season... but they are only vague, and not what I consider reliable. Does anyone here have the definitive word?

Well April next year is the earliest it could possibly be released. Kyoto Animation don't produce more than one series at a time and at the moment their working on Clannad and that's confirmed for 24 or 26 episodes.

And you seem to be missing the point a bit with your question about the anime being made after the books. The books weren't written with the intent of getting the anime made. The anime was made becuase the books were popular enough that it justified the financial risk of producing the anime (and their popularity sky-rocketed even further once the anime began). But the books were always intended to stand on their own merits like any original work.
Amy-chan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think Haruhi locks the door so that no one will run away because they don't like what's happening but why she leaves the key in the door is beyond me & I think it's not just that she wants Kyon to see her but that she knows there is still someone to come to the club room & if she locks the door they will think that the club is not on so they will miss out on what they are doing & to her that is bad & to them it is bad as well because they will get the death sentance but it is also good for them because they will not have to do the club that break which a lunch break without Haruhi to them would be heaven but to us it is hell cause we don't get to watch Kyon get torchered or other guys 'sexually harasing' Mikuru because Haruhi wants something it would be very embarassing but it is hilarious to watch
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amy-chan, your keyboard as a fullstop and a comma. Please use them.

RE: Haruhi; I think she locks the door to prevent anyone from escaping.
Amy-chan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phoenix85 wrote:
Amy-chan, your keyboard as a fullstop and a comma. Please use them.

yeah, but I was in a rush my mum was yelling at me cause I was meant to be in bed like an hour and a half before I wrote the message & I had school the next day.
Introvert
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Introvert's random thoughts Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
That's one of the greatest pieces of evidence for the 'Man Behind the Curtain' hypothesis. It's not entirely incompatible with the 'Lock and Key' hypothesis either though. That or Haurhi's odder than most people think and actually wants Kyon to get an eyeful.

Now that I've bothered counting, Haruhi only locks the door twice. It's still odd behaviour but if it doesn't continue it loses its significance. And Kyon only walks in and catches an eye full once when Haruhi is there...

Knight of L-sama wrote:
Well April next year is the earliest it could possibly be released. Kyoto Animation don't produce more than one series at a time and at the moment their working on Clannad and that's confirmed for 24 or 26 episodes.

I'll put that down as nothing definitive then. Just have to hope it's success leads to more seasons.

Knight of L-sama wrote:
And you seem to be missing the point a bit with your question about the anime being made after the books. The books weren't written with the intent of getting the anime made. The anime was made becuase the books were popular enough that it justified the financial risk of producing the anime (and their popularity sky-rocketed even further once the anime began). But the books were always intended to stand on their own merits like any original work.

Ummm... I was aware that this was the case. I'm wondering how I could have been so misinterpereted... Reviewing what I wrote, I just don't see it, but then I wrote it so that's not surprising. I was wondering if plots in some of the books which are much futher along in the plot, compared to where the anime is up to, were used to inform some of the early scenes in the anime... Being able to read the books would clear this up directly, but my sad lack of Japanese skills means I don't know. On reflection though I've concluded that what I spotted as possible forshadowing is such an obvious plot given the presence of a time traveller that it was probably in the original book... now I just have to hope an English translation turns up one day to see if I'm right. (well a good english translation)

Darn this getting dragged to Sydney for a cousin's wedding for the weekend! It's delayed me watching Volume 2! Random thoughts on that next week.

*looks at thread subject* ... ! hang on. That's not the subject I originally submitted! OMG!! The power of Haruhi is absolutely awesome!!!!
Introvert
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: thoughts on Volume 2 Reply with quote
Hey, I'm only a week later with this than I said I'd be. It's the result of extream slackness!

beware, there will be volume 2 spoilers in this post. You have been warned.

Well I'm still a very enthusiastic fan after this volume. We get to see each of the the three super-kids showig off their power in serious ways. And the completion of the Melancholy arc, which doesn't manage to actually resolve anything... oh sure it saves the world, but it's clear Kyon only kisses Haruhi because of the suggestions from Asahina and Nagato, and we soon see him refusing to consider the same tactic the next time the world is in danger.

One of the things I like about the show is that the characters aren't paragons of virtue, nor are they totally messed up. they are just normal teenages... well at least Kyon and Haruhi are. When they get upset they'll both become petulant and childish... the back of the taxi is an example of this for Kyon. He's going along for the ride, but Koizumi's explainations are ticking him off. Koizumi seems to notice this, and proceeds to ignore it which annoys Kyon even more, though he does still listen.

The more we see Kyon complain that Haruhi ignores those opinions she doesn't like the more I think that he can get her to listen to whatever opinion he has, if he pushes enough. But he's lazy, as shown by being sloppily dressed and always asking for explainations even though his internal monolog makes it clear he frequently understands, or could if he applied himself to it... smart but lazy. This laziness means he frequently won't challange Haruhi just because it would take an effort. Note that he makes an effort to stop Haruhi putting Asahina's pictures online, but totally caves when Haruhi drags him off to investigate Asakura's disappearance. Basically if he's suffiently motivated he can get Haruhi to change what she's doing.

Even though I don't know japanese I can't help thinking that the japanese voice acting improved a lot on this volume. I can't help thinking that the japanese cast started off fairly poorly, and improved as the series progressed... I also don't know what order the original cast recorded the episodes in, but I presume the first few eps at least were done in order (as they were shown in order). Certainly by the time they get to The Bordom of Haruhi Suzumiya I think the original voice actors have really got their parts and characters down pat. By contrast I think the English VA's started strong, and have maintained the quality through all that I've seen so far.

As to whether I find Haruhi more entertaining in Japanese or English... I can't say atm. The character is great in both.

We get much greater insite into Haruhi in this volume. She's not just an excentric nut as in volume 1. We see her being "normal" in the apartment building, and very down in a number of places, including her story about discovering that she was a very small unimportant person in a very big world. So she does have a good grasp of what is real in the world...

So she can't possibly miss that the SOS Brigade hitting 11 home runs in a row in the baseball game is not usual, or likely... and Nagato's throw to second at the end of the game is pretty weird too. All three of the super-kids insist that Haruhi has no idea what she can do. But you've really got to wonder about that sometimes. She's goes around in closed space with Kyon being so certain that things will change in that world, and that the sun will come up... if Haruhi isn't aware that there are some very weird things going on around her then she is simply being willfully ignorent.

Finally, when Haruhi and Kyon are looking out the window at the Shinjin (humongous blue glowy giant thingamajig) and Haruhi wonders if it could be some great ancient weapon built in the distant past and reactivated in the modern world... well I just think Kyon should turn to her and ask her to really think about if that would be such a good thing to have happen. Smile

*sigh* now I have to wait until January for volume 3... it's just not soon enough.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Introvert's random thoughts Reply with quote
Introvert wrote:
Now that I've bothered counting, Haruhi only locks the door twice. It's still odd behaviour but if it doesn't continue it loses its significance. And Kyon only walks in and catches an eye full once when Haruhi is there...

The phrases 'Man Behind the Curtain' and 'Lock and Key' were not referring to Haruhi actually physically locking the door. They're the name of two fan hypothesis to explain why a seemingly ordinary (if rather snarky) person is caught up in such bizzare events. To elaborate further upon them is to invoke massive spoilers though and much wild speculation.

Introvert wrote:
I'll put that down as nothing definitive then. Just have to hope it's success leads to more seasons.

No the second season has been confirmed for production. KyoAni has yet to annouce a date though. I was pointing out that given the fact they only make one show at a time the earliest possible point where the second series could premiere is April next year.

Introvert wrote:
Certainly by the time they get to The Bordom of Haruhi Suzumiya I think the original voice actors have really got their parts and characters down pat.

I should point out that The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi screened 4th in the broadcast order. Melancholy I, II, III screened 2nd, 3rd and 5th respectively Melancholy IV was the 10th episode while Melancholy V adn VI were the last two episodes screened.
It's rather meaningless to discusss progression of acting given that what you're describing happened in wildly different order in actual production.
Introvert
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Introvert's random thoughts Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:

The phrases 'Man Behind the Curtain' and 'Lock and Key' were not referring to Haruhi actually physically locking the door. They're the name of two fan hypothesis to explain why a seemingly ordinary (if rather snarky) person is caught up in such bizzare events. To elaborate further upon them is to invoke massive spoilers though and much wild speculation.

And I was ignoring those hypothesis and focusing on Haruhi's actions... mean while, having now seen the seaons major story arc, I'm willing to risk spoilage for the rest of the season. I've been looking at some other forums, but have been unable to find threads related to those hypothesis. Some things comming close and covering related speculation, but not those ideas themselves... if you could point me to such a thread or two I would... erm... say something nice! Smile

I've seen the light novel plot notes on wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruhi_Suzumiya_%28light_novels%29) so I'm already mildly spoiled about some of the story. Further spoilage is something I'm willing to risk and manage.

Knight of L-sama wrote:

No the second season has been confirmed for production. KyoAni has yet to annouce a date though. I was pointing out that given the fact they only make one show at a time the earliest possible point where the second series could premiere is April next year.

Well, in that case... I know no can see it... but I'm doing an excited happy dance on the inside. Smile

Knight of L-sama wrote:

I should point out that The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi screened 4th in the broadcast order. Melancholy I, II, III screened 2nd, 3rd and 5th respectively Melancholy IV was the 10th episode while Melancholy V adn VI were the last two episodes screened.
It's rather meaningless to discusss progression of acting given that what you're describing happened in wildly different order in actual production.

I wasn't trying to suggest that it took the VA's half the season to work their roles out. I was aware that the broadcast (and hence production order) was quite different from the chronolgical order presented on the DVD's. *sigh* never mind, this is not important.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Introvert's random thoughts Reply with quote
Introvert wrote:
I wasn't trying to suggest that it took the VA's half the season to work their roles out. I was aware that the broadcast (and hence production order) was quite different from the chronolgical order presented on the DVD's. *sigh* never mind, this is not important.

Your wording specifically implies a linear progression.

Introvert wrote:
Certainly by the time they get to The Bordom of Haruhi Suzumiya I think the original voice actors have really got their parts and characters down pat

You say 'by the time they get to Boredom yet the episode preceeding it (chronological) is the last episode in broadcast. If it's not what you meant then say what you mean.

Introvert wrote:
And I was ignoring those hypothesis and focusing on Haruhi's actions...

Then there is no need to quote me directly before such comments.

I'm not trying to be a joy kill but you're coming off rather incoherently and with a series like Haruhi clarity of communication is something to be greatly desired since so much potential confusion exists.
Introvert
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Introvert's random thoughts Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:

I'm not trying to be a joy kill but you're coming off rather incoherently and with a series like Haruhi clarity of communication is something to be greatly desired since so much potential confusion exists.

Reviewing what I wrote I see that... I'm going to have to strongly deny this accurate suggestion of incoherence. Can't go around admitting mistakes after all. Smile
Hellion
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i kinda got the impression after watchign a few eps of season 1, that its not actually suzumiya that is the god Smile its kyon... for 1 he makes a comment about not beleaving in epsers timer travelers and alens when he was a kid and that kinda ties into suzumiya's story.. so basicaly hes just imagined himself a girlfriend into existence. if she dose or dose not have the power to change reality is irrelevent. and the friends that rope him into the little group well.. what better way to keep a ignorant god under control then to pretend its actually suzumiya so hes both aware of the power but also being educated to how it could effect everyone he knows without him actually knowing at all.
just a thought i had really.. probly wont pan out though

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: