Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Mysterious Cities of Gold

Mysterious Cities of Gold
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Mysterious Cities of Gold Reply with quote
This series will be released in a complete collection from Shock on August 4th. I think it retails for around $100 but i'm not sure. Ezydvd has more details.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
August 4 for MCoG. I better tell my sister in the morning. Like me, she loved watching it on tv and was extremely happy when I told her that it was finally coming out on dvd. Wink

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Umbrella Entertainment are releasing the series on DVD on 1st August 2008, Shock are only the distributor in this case.

But it would still be cheaper to import the UK release, the postcards and poster seems to be exclusive to the HMV release.
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know about the soundtrack CD that JB Hi-Fi is including with the boxset? Its picture appears to have the Umbrella Entertainment logo on it.

While I had been wanting to get the UK version, I ended up ordering the Australian version, for less than $40. Yay Devoted DVD's discount vouchers!
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Does anyone know about the soundtrack CD that JB Hi-Fi is including with the boxset? Its picture appears to have the Umbrella Entertainment logo on it.

The soundtrack CD was previously only available, when buying via Play.com (which is UK specific). But I have been unable to locate a list of the tracks included.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah... Soon to no longer be confined as a memory of my childhood.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
you're not the only 1 waiting for it tallis..
Melbourne Mew Mew
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JB Hi-Fi in Melbourne (Elizabeth St store) has it in. I've snatched up a copy.
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are heaps at both the Melbourne stores (down there for work this week), plus they're only $80!

I know it's only $20 below the inital list price, but that officially brings it into consideration range... Very Happy
chibi_ric
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There were quite a few at the JB in Ringwood last night.

Will have to look into it, I was geeking out so much over the CLAMP double feature that I only gave everything else a cursoury glance! Wink
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone who's got the Australian version, what's the quality like?
klokwerk
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's a bit of shimmer to the video and a slight yellow tint. However, considering the history of this show (and the many different places it aired/versions it had) it looks alright.

Great selection of extras and nice packaging. Very Happy
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've watched the ep with the Golden Condor taking flight for the first time and have to say that if that ep is like all of them, then this is one superb remastering.

Done in 2.0 and full screen, I haven't noticed any artifacts on the screen and the colours are vibrant and clear and exactly as I remembered it as a kid. If anything, I think it looks better then what I remember seeing as a kid. It even has the live naration bit at the end of the ep on the Inca's that was also part of what was shown on ABC in the 80's. I'm very happy to see that part intact.

With the JB-Hifi release, it has the TMCoG OST. No case for it as it is an exclusive for them and it's in a plastic slip, similar to the paper ones that NTUSA used for their dvd's.

TCoG has come out as a digipack and boy what a lot of effort was done for this one. It's better than any MM digipack I've come across in terms of presentation. There's a booklet containing detailed synopsis's for each of the 39 eps as well as all the characters in it. As it's a digipack, the box that houses it isn't that thick, but you don't care that much for as I said, this is one spiffy 6 dvd release.

Do I recomend this one?. Damn right I do.

I'll take some pics tomorrow of the digipack.

I'll also have some screenshots uploaded as soon as photobucket stops screwing me around.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
waaaiiit a sec..... 40 eps... on 6 DVDs? That sounds a little squishy. Either that, or we have all been getting ripped off eps per disk for almost every other show ever. heh. Actually, I am not the slightest bit surprised. Not after trying to rent "dexter" a few days ago.. and finding out each disk has one (ONE!) episode per disk, and I would have to pay full rental for each disk.

Considering I can rent entire series for the exact same price, it seemed just a little extreme. Confused

What is the soundtrack like? Cos if its a decent extra I will get someone to buy it for me from Melbourne. I will pay her, of course. heh. If its just a bit of a freebie to make "exclusive to JB" look more impressive on the advertising, then I will just get it from FBO like normal. It will probably be cheaper from FBO anyway. Most stuff usually is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
waaaiiit a sec..... 40 eps... on 6 DVDs? That sounds a little squishy. Either that, or we have all been getting ripped off eps per disk for almost every other show ever. heh. Actually, I am not the slightest bit surprised. Not after trying to rent "dexter" a few days ago.. and finding out each disk has one (ONE!) episode per disk, and I would have to pay full rental for each disk.

39 episodes, spread over 6 discs, which is the usual 6 - 7 episodes per DVD, plus extras.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did forget to add that there's another booklet in with the boxset. The 2nd booklet contains info on the various sites like Machu Pichu that were featured in MCOG.

Photobucket is refusing to upload my pics for some reason. I'm upgrading some crap on it and hopefully that will fix the uploading problem. I have all the pics from screen shots to boxset pics ready to go. Unfortunitely, if this doesn't work, then I'll have to get my pc wiped tomorrow and try it out that way.

As for the OST, it appears that it's not that long. Maybe 20 - 30 minutes at the most. There are 12 tracks on it, but I know that a couple of tracks are repeated later on on the cd.

My neighbour upon seeing that I had MCOG will be going to buy his copy tomorrow. He also grew up on it and is wanting to show his daughter it as well. He didn't want to fork out $200 for old VHS copies that were being sold on ebay. He feels $80 for the local release is a great deal better. Wink

The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds good. My copy was already in the mail when I asked. I was just impatient. Hopefully I'll pick it up from the Post Office tomorrow.

Alas, the JB Hi-Hi Online price was $95 when I was checking online prices; on Friday I saw it had dropped to $80. Had I the chance, I'd have gotten it, instead.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Photobucket is finally working. It's taking me a good amount of time though because it doesn't like me still. The pics of the dvd boxset, I had to resize to fit on here and thus not quite as clear. Sorry.

That's basically it. The menu pics aren't static by the way which good to see.

I hope that helps. Wink

Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not too bad! Have to admit that was one big concern considering how many problems there were with getting the original eps together, and considering the age I'm actually quite impressed.

Box looks pretty clean and crisp too (hmm ... payday Friday ... and Show Holiday on Wednesday .... )
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice. Can't wait. Good to see them using the hubless DVD holders.
Sac
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn, can't afford to buy this at the moment, but I do wanna check this out.

Oh well, no rush.
For your greatness will
silence them all
-Warrior Wisdom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
FRENCH!? French credits? Other than that, though, it looks a great overall package. I much prefer the golden box than the box in the ezyDVD image, or on UK sites.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm glad my efforts didn't go to waste when I posted those pics. Looking at them reminds me of how much trouble photobucket caused me when I trying to upload them.

Another little bit of into is that because of the glare from the camera you couldn't see that the ep number and titles are listed underneath each dvd casing. When you take the dvd out of the case, you'll see what eps are actually on the disc.

Last edited by JESTER on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
as good as it looks i'm gonna have to hold back on getting it myself for a little bit...but i WILL be getting it
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of digipacks one bit, especially ones like this with a high disc count - so much unfolding & folding to do, its hard to fit the thing on the couch when you're trying to find the right disc to play!

That aside, the quality is right up there with anything similar madman have done so if anyone is hesitating then don't any longer.

The extras are superb! It was something else hearing Adrian Knights voice again all these years later (especially when the cast recreated a scene together). I think the ABC etched it into my brain during the mid 80's!

He was in Belle & Sebastian & all the talk of that utter classic in the extras makes me wish it too would come out in a DVD form like this. Many people don't know of or perhaps remember that show but surely now the calls for it's release can be resumed Wink

Heck maybe Umbrella will snap it up?
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
FRENCH!? French credits?

I vaguely recall the show having french credits on at least some eps when it was broadcast here. But more likely... it's a french show. It was probably remastered in france for the french market and we're just a sideeffect.
Elric of Grans
Spaurh Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Someone told me a couple of years ago that they saw the series available on DVD in French Canada. My bet is that there is a connection. Probably, as you suggested, it was remastered for French release, and it was this that they reapplied the old dub to for the English release.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:

I vaguely recall the show having french credits on at least some eps when it was broadcast here. But more likely... it's a french show. It was probably remastered in france for the french market and we're just a sideeffect.

Oh, certainly. The French/Canadian versions were the first released. I know the show's history. I'm just disappointed that the English credits weren't dug up and polished.

It may just be me (or the way it's intended), but at times the music sounds a little wonky. Perhaps the English dub wasn't remastered to as high a level.

Very Happy Took a few eps before the doco narrator says "goodbye, until next time".

EDIT - Elric's post wasn't there when I started mine. Or maybe it was, and I missed it.
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
I'm glad my efforts didn't go to waste when I posted those pics. Looking at them reminds me of how much trouble photobucket caused me when I trying to upload them.

Another little bit of into is that because of the glare from the camera you couldn't see that the ep number and titles are listed underneath each dvd casing. When you take the dvd out of the case, you'll see what eps are actually on the disc.

Convenient. Especially when trying to sort blindly through a single packs load of discs trying to figure out which &^(&! one has the ep you want!
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got my copy on Tuesday but haven't had a chance to put it on until today.

Major, major nostalgia trip. It was almost as if I had suddenly been transported back to 86. In a good way of course.

As for those who were asking about the track listing on the CD included with the JB Hi-Fi version.
01: Mysterious Cities of Gold Theme (with Narration)
02: Review
03: Barcelona
04: Morning Breaks
05: The Winged Serpent
06: Legends of the New World
07: The Mystery
08: St Elmo's Fire
09: Documentary
10: The Andes
11: End Titles
12: The Mysterious Cities of Gold Theme

Page 1 of 1