Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Second Season of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
The Second Season of Haruhi Suzumiya
Author
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it'd be 14 new episodes, as the current airing has been announced to be 28 episodes in total. I expect there'd be a "new stuff only" DVD release, I don't think anyone's daft enough to expect everyone to buy the original run again.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
This begs the question

No true scotsman would ever beg the question.

[it doesn't "beg the question"; "question-begging" is a subtle and complex form of logical fallacy involving circular reasoning.]
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So yeah, the second season actually aired this time. About damn time.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Jackal wrote:
So yeah, the second season actually aired this time. About damn time.

It's a very interesting episode too. It certainly keeps my expections high for the rest of the new stuff.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good, solid standalone episode. With regards to the new ED, I think it's a good thing that they didn't make it a dancing ED. Hare Hare Yukai was one of those things that can't really be duplicated
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Loved the new episode, it's been a long while since I read the novel translations, although it's great to see this story finally animated. Definately one of my favourite stand alones.

Although it does set up a major plot point for the Disappearance arc, which I noticed heavy reference to in the lyrics for the new ED. Man, I can't wait to see those episodes...

Considering that this episode didn't have an OP at all, I wonder if we'll get a new OP with the other new episodes?

This clearly makes me the very best, like no one ever was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Considering that this episode didn't have an OP at all, I wonder if we'll get a new OP with the other new episodes?

I'd say it's likely.
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So let me get this straight, someone please correct me if I get this wrong. Bold means something I am unclear of.

Essentially what is happening here with the new re-broadcasting of Haruhi, is that they are airing all 14 episodes of the first series, along with 14 new episodes of the second series, but in chronological order to the novels?. And the episode that just aired a few days ago, Episode 8, corresponding to the the novels, fits between The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya chapter, and what ever comes next, and that's how they they are running this 28 episode series?

If this is the case I too wonder about the DVD's, I know it's stupid to re-release something we already have, but upon DVD will everything just be in chronological order of the second series? Meaning would Episode 8, technically be Episode 1 of Series 2. I guess only time will tell.

This really has me baffled.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Renton7 wrote:
So let me get this straight, someone please correct me if I get this wrong. Bold means something I am unclear of.

Essentially what is happening here with the new re-broadcasting of Haruhi, is that they are airing all 14 episodes of the first series, along with 14 new episodes of the second series, but in chronological order to the novels?. And the episode that just aired a few days ago, Episode 8, corresponding to the the novels, fits between The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya chapter, and what ever comes next, and that's how they they are running this 28 episode series?

Basically correct.

Renton7 wrote:
If this is the case I too wonder about the DVD's, I know it's stupid to re-release something we already have, but upon DVD will everything just be in chronological order of the second series? Meaning would Episode 8, technically be Episode 1 of Series 2. I guess only time will tell.

All we have is speculation at the moment, but current speculation (by sensible people, at least) is that there will be a season 2 DVD release that contains only the new content, and yes that would mean that the overall episode 8 would be season 2 episode 1.
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok thanks HB, It really does makes more sense when you have someone verifying it for you. Very Happy

Despite Season 1 being something very unique in terms of it's original broadcast order, it kind of sucks that there is now Season 2's Episode 1 somewhere in the midst of it all. I mean Season 1 just gelled, and it although it was out of order it made sense in its own right. We will never find out where Season 2 episodes fit in with Season 1's broadcast release.

To put it simply, if one, especially me, where to ever sit down and want to watch the entire series in broadcast order, it would suck knowing you could only watch the first season, as season 2 cannot fit anywhere in that list as we don't know. It would annoy me lol. If that makes sense.

In hind sight but, watching it in broadcast order won't affect the content, just the experience. Seaosn1 was great, I can't really judge Season 2 yet.
fallenangelash
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't this story just a one shot in the novels? sure, it gives hints to future plot but it will still make sense if it gets put as the first episode of the second season.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Renton7 wrote:
Despite Season 1 being something very unique in terms of it's original broadcast order, it kind of sucks that there is now Season 2's Episode 1 somewhere in the midst of it all. I mean Season 1 just gelled, and it although it was out of order it made sense in its own right.

Actually not really. I can't remember if its the baseball episode or the first half of Remote Island Syndrome but Kyon's narration directly references the events of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

It also explains Haruhi's comment of Kyon looking familiar in Melancholy 1
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just watched the new episode and loved it. Gotta love a good paradox. Very Happy
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
Actually not really. I can't remember if its the baseball episode or the first half of Remote Island Syndrome but Kyon's narration directly references the events of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

I can't remember which episode, but you do also see the bamboo in the club room in one of the season 1 episodes.
Rafira
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yesss, I am loving this <3. You don't get the same thrill from watching new haruhi eps as you do from wewatching old ones, though it still is good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Loomis
Lin Minmay

Location: In the Twilight of My Youth (also Sydney, Australia)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It comforts me in strange ways to know that there are new bits of Haruhi out there. Of course, it will be a longish time before we can see these on any kind of home format...unless Madman brokers all kinds of crazy deals to stream more content.
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What are people's thoughts on eventual preferred episode viewing order? The options that come to mind are:

-Chronological, as the current broadcast is;
-Original premiere order, with the first season as originally broadcast and the season two episodes in the order they air;
-Whatever the DVD order is. Season one would be essentially chronological order except the Mikiru episode.

Does anyone know if there is any major story arc (a la The Melancholy of H.S. I-VI) in the second season?
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Does anyone know if there is any major story arc (a la The Melancholy of H.S. I-VI) in the second season?

By all reports it's going to be 'The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi,' also known as the fourth novel. I'm not entirely certain exactly when it's going to occur relative as far as episode count. If I remember correctly it will be after Live Alive and Day of Sagittarius but I'm not sure how many other new episodes will be in the intervening period.
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to know they're not just going to do one or two episode stories. Hopefully it'll be at the end, to close out with a bang.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
[..]

By all reports it's going to be 'The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi,' also known as the fourth novel. I'm not entirely certain exactly when it's going to occur relative as far as episode count. If I remember correctly it will be after Live Alive and Day of Sagittarius but I'm not sure how many other new episodes will be in the intervening period.

I think that is definitely the case, in earlier news regarding the new season there was a lot of hints alluding to the Disappearance of Haruhi being the next main arc. It's also alluded to in the new ep when Koizomi takes the chess piece away and hides it in his pocket.

The more I think about this new episode the more awesome I realise it is.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
What are people's thoughts on eventual preferred episode viewing order?

Chronological order.

The Tragic Man wrote:

All signs point to The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Dunno about you, but I'm looking forward to seeing Normal Girl Yuki.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm interested to see how MM will release the new eps in relation to DVD & BD. Personally I'd be happy to buy a full 28ep cronological set in Blu-ray, but I think a New Episodes Only set should be made available for DVD collectors.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another "new" episode aired last night. Will watch it when I get home, can't wait.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I liked the use of the old school comic effects in the new opening. Song is not that good though, Aya Hirano is not much of a singer.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Jackal wrote:
I liked the use of the old school comic effects in the new opening. Song is not that good though, Aya Hirano is not much of a singer.

The song "God Knows..." would like to have a word with you. There are better singers and this song may take a while to grow on me but she's not bad by any means.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
One good song does not make a great singer. She has only had one decent sounding one, everything else i have heard by her has been mediocre at best.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Jackal wrote:
One good song does not make a great singer. She has only had one decent sounding one, everything else i have heard by her has been mediocre at best.

Each to their own I guess.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I liked the new opening, and the new episode was fun, although it appeared to be missing certain key elements of the Endless Eight story? Like the fact that they're caught in an endless two week time loop? I suspect we may be getting more of the same next week...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
I liked the new opening, and the new episode was fun, although it appeared to be missing certain key elements of the Endless Eight story? Like the fact that they're caught in an endless two week time loop? I suspect we may be getting more of the same next week...

This episode was labelled "Part 1" so I would be expecting more interesting elements on next weeks episode.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
This episode was labelled "Part 1" so I would be expecting more interesting elements on next weeks episode.

Hm? I've pulled up the episode just now and the title simply says "エンドレスエイト", which is simply just "Endless Eight". Nothing about "Part 1" at all.

boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
[..]

Hm? I've pulled up the episode just now and the title simply says "エンドレスエイト", which is simply just "Endless Eight". Nothing about "Part 1" at all.

It's just what people were calling the episode on the AnimeOnDVD forums.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it's just what a bunch of fans on a forum are labelling it, and not what it's actually officially called, it doesn't count.

With that said, I do support the theory that it is effectively Endless Eight Part I, and that KyoAni are being non-obvious about it. I guess we'll find out for sure next week.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indeed, though it may not be "Part 1" in name, it is certainly part 1 in spirit. Or rather to say, it is part 1, despite the fact it's not in the name.

boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
If it's just what a bunch of fans on a forum are labelling it, and not what it's actually officially called, it doesn't count.

With that said, I do support the theory that it is effectively Endless Eight Part I, and that KyoAni are being non-obvious about it. I guess we'll find out for sure next week.

I know it's just members of a forum, but with how faithful the series has been to it's visual novel roots thus far it's almost unspeakable it'd start changing now. But as you said we'll find out for sure next week.
fallenangelash
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
[..]

I know it's just members of a forum, but with how faithful the series has been to it's visual novel roots thus far it's almost unspeakable it'd start changing now. But as you said we'll find out for sure next week.

It's not a visual novel. It's a light novel.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
fallenangelash wrote:
[..]

It's not a visual novel. It's a light novel.

*Slaps Himself*. Thanks, that's what I meant to say....
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I watched "Endless Eight" take 2, judging from how it ended, we'll probably be getting a 3rd one... The last one handled the summer events better, although I really liked the new parts regarding the endless 2 week time loop. Seeing Asahina in tears was adorable, and I loved her "I used the Classified Information to contact the Classified Information, but Classified Information was gone! So I tried Classified Information and... [etc]" explanation.

Once we finish the "Endless Eight" story, going by the timeline we should get some episodes about "The Sighs of Haruhi Suzumiya" (AKA. The making of "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina: Episode 00"), then the rest of the reruns from season 1 before finally getting into "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" arc.

FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had to double-check if I was watching the right episode! I could have sworn that I had already seen this episode, but at the same time, there was something... Different. Made me feel just what Kyon was feeling Razz Jolly well done, director!
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just watched Endless Eight III and I've got to say I'm surprised. I honestly thought it would have ended this time around. Three episodes is a bit much without any resolution. They'd better end it next week, if only to leave enough room to do other stories in addition to Dissapearance
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
God, they weren't kidding when they said Endless Eight. I was expecting it to wrap up this week too.

The current run is said to be 28 episodes, right? Endless Eight IV will be episode 15, and there's four old episodes which haven't reaired yet... So if Endless Eight finally ends next week, that brings us upto 19 episodes. That means we have 9 episodes left for Sighs and Disappearance. (And I doubt we'll get anything else as the current run has been chronological and Disappearance seems like the best way to go out on a bang like they did with season 1 by arranging the episodes so Melancholy part VI was the finale.)

fallenangelash
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you get to 29 eps?
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
fallenangelash wrote:
How did you get to 29 eps?

Check your math. 19 and 9 is 28
fallenangelash
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
[..]

Check your math. 19 and 9 is 28

Well, sorry. I swear I read in his spoiler text 29 somewhere. My bad.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well this new episode was a complete waste of my time. Maybe they just want to portray the frustration of watching the same events over and over but there's a fine line between that and keeping the show entertaining, and if things don't resolve next week they've crossed that line.
Semaj
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was kind of hoping that going to come to an end this episode and it's built the suspense to a greater degree, but also my frustration. Any way hopefully the 14500th time round they will solve this mystery, one can only hope Kyoto likes round numbers.
Kalgar
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is freaking ridiculous!

4 episodes of essentially the same thing, and still no resolution! It was hilarious the first time, now its just... filler. Though at least it feels somewhat closer to a solution this time (hints are thrown around, though exactly what the significance of the plane is I have no idea)

http://kalgar-ramblingsofageek.blogspot.com/ - my blog
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
God Tier Trolls.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't seen the new one yet(I'll watch it when I get home) but this is getting out of hand. There are now no redeeming qualities to what they are doing.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am now praying that they're not taking the title literallly
Kalgar
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
I am now praying that they're not taking the title literallly

That was exactly my thought >.<

Which raises itneresting concerns for its eventual DVD release. 4 episodes per DVD? So that makes... potentially 2 discs entirely of the same episode?!?

http://kalgar-ramblingsofageek.blogspot.com/ - my blog

Page 2 of 5

Jump to: