Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Second Season of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
The Second Season of Haruhi Suzumiya
Author
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brother Forta wrote:
Also, btw, did anyone who bought it notice the jacket folder in the disc? It has a large, medium and small .avi file containing what looks to be what would have been on each disc's dvd case if they weren't released in a slim pack. What's up with that?

The jacket folder is in the DVD standard. It's used by some DVD players to display an image when the DVD is paused or stopped, I believe.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
[..]

Well the closest you'll probably ever get is the Japanese BD set coming later this month that's apparently got both the sub and the dub included... Plus the first season was only animated in SD.

Only 3 weeks away... Although my wallet will hate me.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that season 1 is an SD production. I would still prefer a chronological season 1 and 2 on BD even with season 1's SD content but I guess if that ever were to happen it won't be any time soon.
I'm holding off till next year anyway for this one.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first season is upscaled on the Japanese box set, so it's closer in appearance to season 2, and so it doesn't jump between resolutions.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know how good an upscale can be but I'd sure like to have a look at this.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of upscales*. If it's a choice between DVD and BD upscaled from an SD format, I'll go DVD. If it's a mixture, such as this or Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, I'll accept a bit of upscale.

*This is a purely personal opinion, but I feel it defeats, or at the very least, goes against the purpose of the high-def capability of Blu-ray, to prevent the highest quality sound and image possible. I would be more comfortable with uncompressed SD on Blu-ray (approrprietly marked as such) than faux-HD upscale. Having upscaled material on BD trains the consumer to accept less than the best. Again, this is all just my own opinion. Yours may vary.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I appreciate your view and as you say it's a personal choice. I wasn't impressed with the first colour conversions from B&W originals and even though that process has improved a hell of a lot, it's still not perfect. At least you can wind out the chroma if you don't like it and some releases have included both coloured and B&W versions.
I have the Claymore BD. When I bought it I didn't know it was an upscale. I also would prefer the original SD vision because the upscale is not great but (and here is my personal choice) had I known I still would have chosen the BD (over the DVD); for the scratch resistance qualities and the True HD audio.
Perhaps as BD production costs improve, home entertainment companies like Madman could include both an upscalled and SD version on the same disk on releases that cannot be true & full HD.
I hope Madman will follow the Japanese Haruhi BD release.I'd get that.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Well the closest you'll probably ever get is the Japanese BD set coming later this month that's apparently got both the sub and the dub included...

Actually everything I've been able to find on that set is that it includes the Japanese audio and English audio version but no English subtitles. Which is real bummer.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CD Japan says it has English subtitles.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
[..]

Actually everything I've been able to find on that set is that it includes the Japanese audio and English audio version but no English subtitles. Which is real bummer.

The official product page mentions both the sub and the dub.
It'll be a great set with all 28 episodes in order. Smile
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
CD Japan says it has English subtitles.

Huh... The last time I checked the CD Japan listing there was no subtitle information listed. Seeing as I just picked up the DVD version of Season 2 I'll probably wait before I think of picking up a BD version (be it released in the US, Australia or Japan).
Brother Forta
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice... Would really like it if Madman were to release either the whole collection (of both seasons) on either DVD or BD too.

Would also be cool if they would release it in a nice art box like season one. By the way, anyone know if BD releases in the future wil have art box releases too? That'd be cool when the transition from DVD to BD happens eventually.

*EDIT* Holy moly, $460 bucks?! D: That's terrifying!
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brother Forta wrote:

Would also be cool if they would release it in a nice art box like season one. By the way, anyone know if BD releases in the future wil have art box releases too? That'd be cool when the transition from DVD to BD happens eventually.

It would depend on the series. Due to series often not being released as single any more, the opportunity for art boxes has dropped. However, Sly recently announced that series that have three (or four?) or more collections will get artboxes. The first series to get one will be Fullmetal Alchemit: Brotherhood, which will have a collection 5+box release (DVD and Blu-ray versions). Due to Blu-ray releases being either complete series or collections, there will be fewer BD boxes.

As for transition... I don't see it happening. DVD is generally good enough for SD material, and there has been enough investment in the format for it to continue for a long time to come.
Brother Forta
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, that's cool then.

About BD's, I'm not so sure whether there will or won't be a transition. I mean, I found a New Scientist mag from 1999 a couple weeks back, and they had an article and DVD's; about how nobody saw DVD replacing VHS anytime soon. That didn't work out too well.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brother Forta wrote:
Nice... Would really like it if Madman were to release either the whole collection (of both seasons) on either DVD or BD too.

*EDIT* Holy moly, $460 bucks?! D: That's terrifying!

It's not that much, if you preorder from Amazon Japan it'll be about $80 less. Razz
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brother Forta wrote:
I found a New Scientist mag from 1999 a couple weeks back, and they had an article and DVD's; about how nobody saw DVD replacing VHS anytime soon. That didn't work out too well.

Yes but VHS wears out pretty quickly and I think DVDs and Blu-Ray discs last the same length (with proper care of course)
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
madchild wrote:
[..]

Yes but VHS wears out pretty quickly and I think DVDs and Blu-Ray discs last the same length (with proper care of course)

Blu-Ray are much more scratch resistant, however once they take less scratches to make them unusable.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, thanks to the dub, I am now watching Endless Eight all over again.

This clearly makes me the very best, like no one ever was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Blu-Ray are much more scratch resistant, however once they take less scratches to make them unusable.

I think then the pertinent question is how easy are those scratches to repair? Because my local JB does scratch repair on DVDs for $3 a disc (and once for free since one disc in a box set had come loose in the box and gotten scratched while still sealed).
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I once took a disk back to JB because it was lose in the box and lightly scratched, they made it worse then offered me a refund.
So far I've got zero scratches on my BDs.
krysinello
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Checking my Haruhi season 2, I'm quite disappointed that there is no info on watching order. At the very least I would of liked some kind of print out, or maybe a list on the inside cover having what ep, disk and season to watch, since season 2 is meant to be watched in between season 1 and all.

Anyways going to start tackling all of Haruhi tonight, endless 8 will probably nearly drive me insane but ohwells.
Rafira
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the watching order is all of endless eight, constantly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is between The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya and Mysterique Sign. Everything else is between Remote Island Syndrome and The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina: Episode 00.

This clearly makes me the very best, like no one ever was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's the guide Smile
http://www.madman.com.au/news/the-marathon-of-haruhi-suzumiya/
krysinello
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Here's the guide Smile

Small suggestion, maybe modify the guide to include season and disk /ep, just to save some hunting. eg

01 “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1″ Season 1 disk 1 ep 01
02 “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2″ season 1 disk 1 ep 02

etc etc.

thanks for the guide though.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Here's the guide :)

That's very helpful Sly, thanks for putting this up. The suggestion of indicating the disks/eps would make it better and as I've already suggested to you, publish it in Anime Update, perhaps as a double sided print so people can cut it out and insert within the disk case.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI there are apparently issues with the R1 release in regards to the Japanese audio on Haruhi Season 2, as to whether it occurs on the R4 set as well I don't know. I have started a new thread in the technical forum here:

http://madboards.madman.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=28469&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem should not be on our release. Please don't post such threads unless there's proof of this happening on our releases.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I said in the other topic I didn't accuse Madman of anything, I simply asked if someone could confirm whether the same thing happens on the R4 release or not. Bandia have said they left the audio untouched from the masters so there was a chance Madman had received the same one's which is something worth investigating. Hence why I would like the input of someone who has the set on hand.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Endless Eight component of season 2 has been a consideration that has held me back from immediately placing an order. The producers could have effectively covered this story in 3 episodes so in my view this is really a 9 episode series as far as I think about the content. Those 9 episodes make the series worthwhile.
I've also thought about holding back a while for a potential Blu-ray Complete series announcement, which would be very appealing I think.
Meanwhile, I haven't actually seen season 2 on the shelves at all. Is it just my local stores that aren’t stocking it?
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can always politely request the store stock it in for you. It may just have sold out and they haven't replenished it.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, or order it direct from Madman. Truth be told if I had see it on the shelf I probably would have succumbed and bought it on the spot.

EDIT: Talk about succumbing!!! The 25% off Naughty or Nice voucher has done the trick. Season 2 will be on my order with who knows what else. Thank you Madman Very Happy

EDIT 29/01/11: After viewing my season 2 set I continue to be amazed at the producer's decision to do Endless Eight. But there's no question that this set is well worth buying for the other episodes. I look forward to seeing the movie and hopefully more seasons of this great series.
Hellion
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
meh idk if u could call it a second season its more like they just used up alot of left over parts from the 1st season. how many times did they play that 1 ep that was only slightly differnt each time omg that was so.. mean really they couldnt tell that story with a montarge?
its a good story and stuff but i think the biggest let down was how unreliable the series is for eg. in the 1st series the box set i got has the orginal disks and the tv edit? why did they need a tv edit? that just screwed up all the story and all the eps seemed out of place in the time line and the second series didnt help that much either because the eps in that were outa sync aswell maybe the movie will tie it all together but i think myabe Kyoto Animation should have just made it better lol
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The eight episode Endless Eight appears to have been repetitious to frustrate the viewer as a joke. It appears to have worked on you.
Hellion
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i payed for the collection i guess i was just expecting more i dont think it was a joke either i would say they probly just had a large amount of cells or somthing for that ep and thought they would strech it out witha few more and a throw together story then padded it with a few filler eps from season 1 and slaped a collection 2 sticker on it. its the sort of thing that happends when tv shows lose there edge but there is still a huge fan base that crave more like the "remakes" of starwars movies or the tie up loose ends movie serenity for the firefly series
dont be surprized if the movie finishes the story and for the next 10 years they do "platinum" editions just a hunch
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hellion wrote:
i payed for the collection i guess i was just expecting more i dont think it was a joke either i would say they probly just had a large amount of cells or somthing

Season One's catch when it aired is that it was aired out of order.

Season Two's catch was that next episode previews were removed and Endless Eight (originally a single chapter in the light novels) literally took eight episodes.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
UncaBou wrote:
EDIT 29/01/11: After viewing my season 2 set I continue to be amazed at the producer's decision to do Endless Eight. But there's no question that this set is well worth buying for the other episodes. I look forward to seeing the movie and hopefully more seasons of this great series.

Someeone has suggested that part of the reason for Endless Eight is that so by the time we saw the movie we could better understand Yuki's suffering.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
[..]

Someeone has suggested that part of the reason for Endless Eight is that so by the time we saw the movie we could better understand Yuki's suffering.

Yes, since my previous post I've also read this still dedicating eight out of Season Two's fourteen episodes due to some link to the move is way over the top. Season One made this one of my favorites, so I'll keep looking out for any new Haruhi anime.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read somewhere that Aya Hirano wanted to move away from voice work, so I don't know how likely more Haruhi anime is.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
I read somewhere that Aya Hirano wanted to move away from voice work, so I don't know how likely more Haruhi anime is.

It's not like voice actors dictate the production of an anime. Aya isn't exactly the most popular idol right now, so I wouldn't have been surprised if Haruhi were recast anyway (if a third season/second movie were to be produced).

Haruhi is much too popular to not be milked even further.

Page 5 of 5

Jump to: