Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

What would you rather, fatpacks or collector's boxes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
What would you rather, fatpacks or collector's boxes?
Author
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm real picky with my boxsets. I found out that there was a little "rounded" corner on my Bleach box and I nearly cried. But I'm sure I'm not the only one Wink
Specky
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Specky on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShiningStar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lol don't worry Specky you still have one more art box compared to me (*hugs* my 3 precious art boxes ^^)

I'd probably choose art boxes too ^^ just because when I buy a fat pack i feel like im missing out on all the great pictures on the dvd covers and art boxes ^^
Though...I like how handy fatpacks are and they are cheaper, which means more anime for me Very Happy and I quite like my Kaleido Star and Princess Tutu collections.
BroKeN
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me go and count my boxsets.. BRB Wink I currently have 29 but I have 3 coming in the mail soon so that will bring my total to 32 Very Happy
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
27 myself, though that's not including the thinpack collections, a few of which take up the same space as 4 disc boxset
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have 8. I'm also contemplating whether I should see if I can get myself some packaging similar to fatpacks to store them in. That way I can use the artboxes to store other DVDs in to free up space in my DVD towers and stuff. Or I might just store the empty boxes somewhere 'cause I rather like them they're just hugely big.
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stuff space saving, anime DVD's specific to the box are the only DVD's that go in there. Meaning my Death Note DVD's only go in the Death Note Box, I don't put random DVD's in there. And as for a total I have 12 box art collections, that including the two FMA tins I have, they still count. Very Happy
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have roughly 120 boxsets, though I might have missed one or tow.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I gave up counting boxsets after the 1st 50...

Same with my fatpack and thinpack collections..
BroKeN
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate yet envy you Jester and yes you too Ops. I wish I had that many Sad. The thing with me is that I pretty much refuse to buy a fatpack unless I have no other option available. I wouldn't import either, I would rather my DVD's be from the same region I live in.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
BroKeN wrote:
I wouldn't import either, I would rather my DVD's be from the same region I live in.

Of course, we need someone to keep the local industry afloat Razz
Mr popo
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The R4 format is slightly clearer than the R1, it is because of this that I think we should only import DVDs that aren't going to be released here.
fallenangelash
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr popo wrote:
The R4 format is slightly clearer than the R1, it is because of this that I think we should only import DVDs that aren't going to be released here.

no offence, don't speak for everyone. i quite enjoy my R1s, although i do buy from here when i can.
Anyhow, I am going to buy Shuffle! from US rather than here to get the collectors box. since i have tonnes of space to put stuff i rather have the neat box than have 1 or 2 single disc cases with the whole series, even if its cheaper and space saving, i guess it depends on your preference.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Clearer? I don't think so, though don't have any of the same copies of R1 and R4 dvds anyhow to really compare.

Only issue i've come across is "Jaggies" in which the difference in resolution seem to produce, some are worse than others but overall its barely noticeable once you get used to it, though that issue really i've only come across on budget releases by Media Blasters and such, though R1 Haruhi Suzumiya did have that issue but only minor comparitevly.
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Renton7 wrote:
Stuff space saving, anime DVD's specific to the box are the only DVD's that go in there. Meaning my Death Note DVD's only go in the Death Note Box, I don't put random DVD's in there. And as for a total I have 12 box art collections, that including the two FMA tins I have, they still count. Very Happy

Actually, there's three tins, not two. Unless you're talking about the cardboard complete colelctions that were released later on.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Renton was talking about the two that he has
Mr popo
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
fallenangelash wrote:
[..]

no offence, don't speak for everyone. i quite enjoy my R1s, although i do buy from here when i can.
Anyhow, I am going to buy Shuffle! from US rather than here to get the collectors box. since i have tonnes of space to put stuff i rather have the neat box than have 1 or 2 single disc cases with the whole series, even if its cheaper and space saving, i guess it depends on your preference.

There are pros and cons for both regions. R1 isn't as clear as r4, but R1s come out first.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Clearer in what way though? Can you elaborate on that?
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
Clearer in what way though? Can you elaborate on that?

'cause the PAL format has a higher resolution everything will be slightly sharper and the colour depth is much better with PAL in comparison to NTSC. This is most likely what he's referring to.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CruelGenesis wrote:
[..]

'cause the PAL format has a higher resolution everything will be slightly sharper and the colour depth is much better with PAL in comparison to NTSC. This is most likely what he's referring to.

Depends on the source, as far as I know a lot of Madman stuff is re-encoded to PAL as they usually receive NTSC masters from the US. So we don't really see any of the benefits.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BroKeN wrote:
I hate yet envy you Jester and yes you too Ops. I wish I had that many Sad. The thing with me is that I pretty much refuse to buy a fatpack unless I have no other option available. I wouldn't import either, I would rather my DVD's be from the same region I live in.

Very Happy

I'd say at least 60% of my anime is R1 and a lot of the titles I get are either not coming to Australia, it has extra stuff I'm interested in and that MM won't have or that I got tired of waiting for MM to release the series or rest of the series.

I prefer boxsets and hate the fatpacks I do have. I didn't include those in my total and didn't add the half dozen or so digipacks I do have either.

As for picture quality, I can only go on my R1 and R4 Gundam SEED Destiny vol 12 and vol 10 (MM version) and say that the R1 was superior in this case. The picture and sound quality was better than MM's release. However the R1 version of You're Under Arrest - The Movie was only in 2.0 while MM's release was 5.1 which made the R4 release better than the R1.

Otherwise I haven't noticed any real differences between the R1's and R4's of my dvd's. I have multiple boxsets where I started out with R4, but halfway thru got tired of waiting and finished R1. I couldn't see any real differences in any of those series.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
to be honest I don't see much difference between some anime titles when compare between their counterparts when it comes to dvd...

i've noticed this alot lately when comparing some of the other gundam series (as example) to the r4 releases of the newer series there is almost no difference that i can see..

the only thing i detest is when they start changing format style through a series, a great example of this is the orphen and the galaxy angel series.
Mr popo
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CruelGenesis wrote:
[..]

What he said.

Page 4 of 4

Jump to: