Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Blu-ray?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Blu-ray?
Author
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Blu-ray? Reply with quote
Any more chances of Blu-ray titles from Madman? (I own a PS3 and it has a Blu-Ray drive inside.)
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, the Format War is over. So who knows what evil lurks in the minds of Madman?
I'm planning on snatching a Blu-Ray drive for my PC, so having local releases would be nice. Smile
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It might be a while, imo. Sure the format war has been won, but it's no good producing discs in the new format until a large chunk of your target audience has a compatable player.
Example: I don't know about other anime/cartoon network/asian film fans, but I'm waiting until there are a wider range of BD-RE drives available that are compatable with DVDs and CDs, and are dropping into a more affordable price-range.
Likewise, I don't think every Madman customer has a PS3 or another Blu-Ray player yet.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, true. It'll be a while. Still, having taken in a few HD Videos lately, it's nice to dream. Smile
Elric of Grans
Spaurh Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would need to first buy a bigger, better, far more expensive TV so that there could be that 1% improvement that Blu-Ray offers. I am sure I am not the only one in this country. Blu-Ray might be the near-future, but it sure as heck is not today.
Crypt
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think we're looking at a few years before Blu-Ray becomes really established.
The jump from VHS to DVD was a big one, whereas DVD to Blu-Ray... not so much. The DVD format is still incredibly popular so I would be surprised if Madman were to release anime on Blu-Ray in the foreseeable future, anime itself is already a niche market in Australia.
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Once I've finished collecting Eureka Seven, I've decided to stop buying regular DVD releases until I've saved for a PS3 or other Blu-Ray player. It seems silly to by a DVD release of a title I'd probably want on BR - just doubling up unnecessarily. I wouldn't recommend holding off too long from releasing Blu-Ray titles, as it only means more people will buy more DVD releases, making their collections bigger and making them less willing to upgrade them to BR. Plus there's also the cost factor of producing DVD and BR editions of the same title. Just a matter of keeping an eye on the market and switching at just the right time.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well MM doesn't nesassarily have to re-release all it's older titles onto BD straight away. It'd make more sense if once the market base has largely converted to just start releasing new titles in BD, and then maybe start doing re-releases a little further along the line.

It seemed to work with DVD. I didn't see a lot of older films (anime or otherwise) until DVD had been around for quite some time. Not everyone is in a rush to upgrade either. BD is a small step up from BD, and I know a few people (myself included) who took quite some time to upgrade from VHS, and that was a much larger step up.

That being said, it's stated in another thread that MM will be releasing one BD title this year, my guess is probably as a market probe, so likely a re-release. But I could be wrong.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I've been watching Angelic Layer on my Toshiba XE-1; the best DVD upscaler on the market this side of a couple of grand. Aside from a little crappiness around the subtitles, it looks fantastic.

I wouldn't give up on anime DVDs in the vain hope BR is going to swing in and save the day. You'll just kick yourself when you realise 99% of anime really doesn't look any better in HD, since there isn't that much detail there in the first place!
Protocol7
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle is the voice of reason.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
Well, I've been watching Angelic Layer on my Toshiba XE-1; the best DVD upscaler on the market this side of a couple of grand. Aside from a little crappiness around the subtitles, it looks fantastic.

LOL $800 clock! Very Happy
/me is a bastard.

Don't most HD TVs do the upscaling now? Or am I displaying my now famous confusion for nu tec?

The Voice of Reason wrote:
I wouldn't give up on anime DVDs in the vain hope BR is going to swing in and save the day. You'll just kick yourself when you realise 99% of anime really doesn't look any better in HD, since there isn't that much detail there in the first place!

Capital Queue
Capital Eff
Capital Tea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
fallenforever
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seriously I cant see getting any Blue ray myself. I am waiting for those tiny cards in the future that you slot into a miniature player.
I seriously can't see what a big difference the blue ray does. I have brought like over 50 dvds over two years and I aint going to buy something like blue ray anime discs. It is a waste for something that looks the same and does the same thing but with (like Elric of Grans said) 1% difference. WOW! One percent! That is going to make a excellent picture. It would look and sound better with a HD TV and sound system! As long as I got my portable DVD player I'm set.

(As I say, my opinion so no one complain to me)
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No complain dude. Its a legitimate attitude. Not everyone can afford the Few thousand for even the smallest 1080p TV (and for 1080p, "small" is almost pointless in itself) and the $600 for even the cheapest BD player (probably a PS3, so at least it will also play a game or two) Just so they can see the ACNE scars on Sam Jackson's chin.

hell, I CAN afford it.. and still not interested. DVDs for 98% of Joe and Jane Consumer is perfectly satisfactory right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
LOL $800 clock! Very Happy
/me is a bastard.

Don't most HD TVs do the upscaling now? Or am I displaying my now famous confusion for nu tec?

Got it for $520, actually Razz Not a bad deal at all for both the best DVD and HD DVD player around, in my books.

HDTVs do have upscaling, but the quality depends on the chip they use. There are a couple of different upscaling chips around, and they charge through the nose for the best ones. Compared to my older $150 Sony upscaling DVD player, the XE-1's picture is a LOT smoother and cleaner, far less interlacing (those little lines that show up during fast scenes), and practically no "mosquitoes" (the little dots/noise that appears around lines) or "macro blocks" (the off-colour squares that are the result of compression).

It's kind of like comparing a Hyandai Excel to a Ferrari; they'll both get you to the shops, but the drive won't be quite the same Razz

See, I'm picky enough to worry about the difference between DVD upscalers, but don't really care about the move to HD for anime. That's how much I think people shouldn't worry about it Razz TV shows, especially the long running ones, are made as cheaply as possible, so the detail warranting HD simply isn't there. The only titles that'll see any benefit from blu ray are the big-budget movie/OVA releases.
Nadesico Man
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im kinda pissed the BR won the war as Xbox dosnt have a BR drive (that im aware of) but i still dont plan on spending the money to get a BR player when with anime your not going to notice a huge difference..
Its not like they will put more eps on a BR disc anywaz Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:

No, it's the players that do the work, hence the reason of a need to get upscaling players if you have a hugearse (i.e. over 32") LCD/Plasma TV, cause standard DVDs look like ass otherwise.

Mr Waffle wrote:

Well depends really. Though i have seen a comparison all the way from VHS releases, DVD releases and Blu-ray releases. Compared to DVD, it's far more crisper in terms of looks but generally yeah there isn't that much to gain apart from a crisper look (more videophiles than anything and even then you'd need a big screen TV to benefit it.) and uncompressed audio for the audiophiles
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nadesico Man wrote:
Im kinda pissed the BR won the war as Xbox dosnt have a BR drive (that im aware of) but i still dont plan on spending the money to get a BR player when with anime your not going to notice a huge difference..
Its not like they will put more eps on a BR disc anywaz Razz

Don't worry. Microsoft have already begun working with Sony to make a Blu-Ray add on. Whether or not you need a newer XBox or not, I don't know.

Anyway... I'm making the jump today and putting in for a BluRay drive.

Last edited by Darth Tallis on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
The only titles that'll see any benefit from blu ray are the big-budget movie/OVA releases.

And even then it's apparently not a huge difference anyways if I'm to believe a few reviews of anime BR titles I've read.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:
Microsoft have already begun working with Sony to make a Blu-Ray add on.

Possibly not just an add-on, if Gamespot articles (2 links) are more than just rumors.

While the idea of the 60gb HDD sounds reasonable, if MS had their heads on straight they would realise the better way to go (due to manufacture, bang per buck, etc) would be to make the 120gb they already produce being the smallest, and if they are going to invest in manufacturing a new capacity, it should be LARGER, not smaller. COmpare the price of the 20gb to the price of the 120gb and you will see the logic in this.

Then again, Ballmer...

I can not see the BD SKU eventuating. The only thing that would justify that is if they started releasing games on BD. I can not see them doing that, as that would lock out everyone who has the DVD based models. Releasing an add-on at this point seems to make more sense, but considering the HD-DVD had something like 2% takeup (basically a complete failure) before Toshiba pulled out and the remaining units were slashed to $50, I can't see MS being in any sort of rush to tread that very simillar ground again.

Then again, Ballmer...
fallenforever
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I'm still waiting for the cards ...

I have always been a PS fan so a move to Xbox was never my thing so I really don't have to worry about the HD thing.

Anyway upscalers are awesome so why waste it for something that probably won't start to hit until too late. No one that I know thinks that buying Blue Ray is worth it ....

Technology is always updating so when people really start to like Blue Ray for that 1% they would get something else.

In the late 80s they got videos, in the late 90s they got Dvds, now in the late 00s they got ... something with 1% difference.

Give it another 5-10 years and they will develop something ten times better than blue ray

... Like my cards X3
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Am bit confused I have heard people saying "yes you can use your old dvd titles and watch it on blue ray but wont get the picture that crisp but still watch it". Then heard other people say "no you cant watch old dvd titles on blue ray it wont run at all ". I will buy ps3 soon to play the games and try out this new blue ray but worried if my anime colection wont work on the ps3 blue ray system Sad I hate to rebuild my collection again to blue ray anime titles.

So any one can help me confirm this to put my mind at ease Smile .
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jimbo wrote:

I admittedly don't have a player (need a new TV before I even think of getting a BR Player) but both HD formats were supposed to have back compatability as one of their default standards and I haven't heard anything changing.
ultimasupersaiyan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally I don't think anime needs to advanced to HD anytime soon but it also depends on the anime, newer anime look greats already on dvd but some older anime like gundam wing and yu yu hakusho could use a hd make-over, and don't forget the cost of the players isn't cheap! I say give it 2 years tops before they should put anime on Blu-Ray to allow more people to start buy player who don't already have them.

BTW I alreay have a PS3 but I'm on the side of those who haven't got a Blu-Ray player yet.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jimbo wrote:
Am bit confused I have heard people saying "yes you can use your old dvd titles and watch it on blue ray but wont get the picture that crisp but still watch it". Then heard other people say "no you cant watch old dvd titles on blue ray it wont run at all ". I will buy ps3 soon to play the games and try out this new blue ray but worried if my anime colection wont work on the ps3 blue ray system Sad I hate to rebuild my collection again to blue ray anime titles.

DVD's work fine on the PS3, plus upscales pretty well too i've heard. Though it is region locked
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jimbo wrote:

HD DVD and blu ray players can all play DVDs, don't worry. Razz Your existing collections won't go to waste. And as discussed above, depending on the player, the picture will actually be better than ever thanks to the magic of upscaling.

But as mentioned, be aware that they're mostly all region locked for DVDs. My player was region locked until I upgraded its firmware via an update from the Toshiba site, I can't speak for others. I doubt the PS3 can be region free'd for DVDs.
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks guys you put my mind at ease yes I have heard some of the adv new titles be out on blue ray soon.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
. I doubt the PS3 can be region free'd for DVDs.

Which is a shame, though that said, i have a dvd player anyhow and a few better connections (component, VGA, S-video) for when i get an LCD TV, though i'll only be going 26" so upscaling probably wouldnt be an issue. Unless i swiped the loungeroom player for HDMI upscale =D
Jack21
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the difference between Blu-Ray and normal DVD quality wise
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's quite alot clearer and crisper than DVD, though really unless you had a big tv, 32" and above, you probably wouldnt notice it as much.
Other benefit is uncompressed audio, thus giving the best sound quality but unless you own a home theatre, you really wont notice it as much
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jack21 wrote:

Look here (note: large images). Those aren't 100% accurate comparisons due to the nature of the pictures, but it's a good example of the difference.

As said, you'll need a HDTV to actually see the difference when they're running, as regular TVs cannot show the resolution the HD formats run at.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just installed my new Blu-ray drive. I've been playing the sample disc that came with it and Holy ******* ****!! I'm just gob smacked right now.
Oh, man. Very Happy
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
really that good darth tallis ?.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just finished watching Casino Royale on Blu-ray. The picture is glorious. I ran the DVD for a few scenes afterwards, and the picture on that is noticeably softer and less vibrant.
The sound on the Blu-ray is far richer, too.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:

The sound on the Blu-ray is far richer, too.

That's the goodness that is uncompressed audio Very Happy
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
****!! Even Superman, a movie that's 30 years old, looks ******* awesome on Blu-ray. Very Happy
Sakuya
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:
****!! Even Superman, a movie that's 30 years old, looks ******* awesome on Blu-ray. Very Happy

Praise the lord, we have a new believer! Mr. Green
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, I'm definably a believer of this format now. I'm getting Blade Runner 5 disc set and Terminator soon. I've already pre-ordered Predator. Very Happy
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jack21 wrote:

Put a piece of slightly opaque and perhaps somewhat blurry plastic in front of your eyes.

Now take that piece of plastic away.

That's the difference. You seriously will not believe it until you see it for yourself. It's like you upgraded your eyeballs.

We picked up a new Samsung M81 last week, and the difference-- even with DVDs over an upscaling DVD player (we got a Pioneer DV400S) is quite amazing. It's like you're watching the other half of the movie. Blu-Ray discs are astonishingly good. Even Paprika, which isn't exactly the best BRD out there (but is one of the few anime examples right now) looks completely stunning in 1080p.

Oh, and for anime fans, there's an added bonus: Blu-Ray subtitles don't look like total arse, and they scale up much smoother (because they're just text rendered into the video stream by the player) than DVD subs. DVD subs look horrible when you upscale them.

In unrelated news, remember years ago when everyone used to whinge about Madman using frame-decimation for their PAL-converted discs? Remember how most people were like "meh, whatever"?

You really, really notice it when you're upscaling to 1080p over HDMI. We watched the Cowboy Bebop movie, which looked great except for anytime the scene moves horizontally. I'm dreading rewatching Madman's Slayers discs.

So anyway, you can all be grateful that we whinged and got Madman to change their ways.

All that said, the thing I really want, more than anything else, is Foxtel HD. Foxtel Digital looks like badly-compressed AVI on a 1080p set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Jack21 wrote:

Put a piece of slightly opaque and perhaps somewhat blurry plastic in front of your eyes.

Now take that piece of plastic away.

That's the difference. You seriously will not believe it until you see it for yourself. It's like you upgraded your eyeballs.

Yep! That's sounds about right. Smile
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I, for one, welcome our new HD eyeballs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Foxtel are launching HD sometime later this year [i think] but only a certain few channels. Of course they will more then likely slap an upgrade fee to those of us who have been with them for years. I am sick of the crappy quality of foxtel on our HD tv as well.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe we're getting an entire new Foxtel box to take advantage of it, with HDMI connections on it.
Nadesico Man
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok noob question here
Iv got a plasma screen tv, dont think its HD but has a hdmi input. Will i get a better picture with blue-ray or only really notice it with a HD tv?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
if it has HDMI i'm pretty sure its HD set (HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Input)

You would get a better picture with blu-ray if you use HDMI as its the best connection out there. At anyrate you'd notice blu-ray difference on any TV really, just that on HD sets it would look even better.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nadesico Man wrote:
ok noob question here
Iv got a plasma screen tv, dont think its HD but has a hdmi input. Will i get a better picture with blue-ray or only really notice it with a HD tv?

It's a HDTV. Unless you paid a large amount of money ($2,000+ in the last year or so) it won't be able to do "TrueHD" (marketing buzz for 1080p resolution), but you'll still get a significant improvement (720p or 1080i).

Component cables will give you basically identical picture if you don't have any HDMI-capable equipment, by the way.
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Basically the same picture, I guess.

I definitely understand why you describe it that way because some people may not notice much of a difference.... but oh do I feel sorry for them.

The HDMI connection from what I've seen (on devices with component also) is much superior.

But then again there are folks out there who can't tell what frame rate video games run at so yeah, good description!
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I honestly believe it's better not to point out flaws in video signals to people who can't see them.

Ignorance, in this case, is bliss.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was mainly referring to the ability to display 720p/1080i resolutions, rather than image quality. For some reason people sometimes think Component isn't capable of HD signals, so I wanted to get in there first. Razz
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My understanding is that you can only do 1080p over component if the TV specifically supports it.

Fortunately, mine does, and it looks pretty good.
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Damn it stormo. I told you that ages ago and you called me a liar.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: