Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Incorrect content on bonus disc of Transformers Complete Col

Incorrect content on bonus disc of Transformers Complete Col
Author
Koishi Herikawa

Location: Central Coast (the place being slowly devoured by the hole known as Sydney which I escaped from)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Incorrect content on bonus disc of Transformers Complete Col Reply with quote
I was going through my copy of the special features tonight for the Transformers Complete Collection, when I noticed that someone screwed up with the Season 1 openning sequence clip.

Somewhere along the line, the episodes of season 1 were redone using the animation for the season 2 opening sequence but the audio for Season 1. Most of us just accept that with some episodes it was all that was available. However for some reason, someone didn't do their homework and accidentally used this mistake as the Season 1 Opening Credits clip on the bonus disc.

Also an option is listed for viewing a texless version of the season 1 end credits, however, a textless version of the Season 2 end credits plays.

Not sure if you'd class this as a production error as such, but thought this was worth bringing up as it comes across as though whoever worked out and implemented that part of the special features wasn't that knowledgeable on the show at all.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw a website that listed differences between US and UK Transformers G1 DVDs, but I don't know what site it was. It appeared that the same situation occurred on either the US or UK (I think it was the UK set), so it would be on the masters like that, and not be the fault of Madman.

EDIT - This looks like the site (although I thought it covered the entire series): linkage
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Points out alot of the annoying things like those extra sound effects and stuff that don't need to be there or things like that.
Bowspearer
Koishi Herikawa

Location: Central Coast (the place being slowly devoured by the hole known as Sydney which I escaped from)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
I saw a website that listed differences between US and UK Transformers G1 DVDs, but I don't know what site it was. It appeared that the same situation occurred on either the US or UK (I think it was the UK set), so it would be on the masters like that, and not be the fault of Madman.

EDIT - This looks like the site (although I thought it covered the entire series): linkage

Completely and utterly WRONG!

The section that I'm referring to is on the special features disc called "Opening and Closing Sequences". In that section, the Season 1 Opening Section used is the error where the Season 2 opening sequence has been used with Season 1 audio.

Furthermore, the fact that some episodes have the error is irrelevant. As I already owned the Maverick Entertainment release of Season 1 I was aware of not only the error, but the fact that not all the episodes suffered from it.

Anyway I just checked my Season 1 discs for the Madman release and with the exception of More Than Meets The Eye (Episodes 1-3), Roll For It (Episode 5), and The Heavy Metal War (Episode 16), every single episode in Season 1 has the correct opening sequence!

As such Madman had the correct footage (which can clearly be seen by the fact that the Season 2 opening sequence was clearly taken from the start of the episode "Autobot Spike"), but due to either apathy or ignorance the wrong material was used at the encoding stage. Not happy Jan!

Also as an aside, I'm wondering why the chapter cutoffs were changed with Rebirth compared to every single other episode in Seasons 2 & 3 (I have yet to view Season 1) where the recaps, previews and credits were all given individual chapters, making viewing far more viewer friendly. The way Rebirth was done where chapter changeovers happen mid scene, it honestly looks like no care was taken at all in comparison. Even if the US/UK versions had bad chapter layouts, fixing it is something that even a base model Panasonic DVD Recorder using RAM discs can easily pull off, so I fail to see why Madman should have difficulty doing the same with their own authoring software and hardware when dealing with the masters on hard drive.

One other thing, unless my understanding of Madman's DVD authoring facilities are far more advanced than they really are (and I highly doubt that they are), even repairing the video errors in the opening sequences of Season 1 should have been a piece of cake.

At worst would have involved copying one of the correct episodes, cropping out everything past the opening sequence on the copy, forcing a key frame just past the opening sequence, cropping out the incorrect openning sequence and then merging the correct opening sequence with the episodes in need of it. Where there are the odd episodes that suffer from incorrect credit sequences in the same way, follow the exact same proceedure. All this can easily be done with free editing programs available online, so I fail to see why the authoring software Madman use wouldn't be just as capable of this.

Furthermore it should take them a day at the most to pull all this off- maybe 1 and a half days at a real stretch.
Bowspearer
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, looks like Madman staffers are bypassing this thread altogether- not a good look!
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bowspearer wrote:
Hmm, looks like Madman staffers are bypassing this thread altogether- not a good look!

Take it easy. I've alerted the producer and he will be asnwering shortly.
Blind Lawyer
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

The sequencing of the title treatments looks to be a mastering issue - these discs haven't changed since their first release as season collections, and were authored according to the way in which the masters were delivered to us. I wasn't looking after TF at the time, but I'll see what I can do about it now.

While it's a minor issue I can see this is an annoying niggle. We'll look into whether this can be fixed - please bear in mind that these changes may sound easy to create, with thousands of discs already printed, it may be impractical to do so due to various issues, not just authoring studio time but reprinting the discs. Hopefully it won't impair your enjoyment of the series too much and we'll keep note of it should there be an opportunity to change this.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know I could be tempted to say another thing like namely about the quality of the masters for the episodes "Dark Awakening" and "Rebirth"(season 4, all parts at various points)
With the old echoy sound effects, if I had the chance I'ld march down with my copies of those episode on VHS wich have perfect sound.
Bowspearer
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I appreciate the responses Sly and BL, however it seems like my original query wasn't answered and where the thread got originally derailed to by The Tragic Man was what was addressed.

What I was actually referring to in my original post was the collection of openning and closing sequences on the Bonus Disc. Not only is the "error" version of the Season 1 Openning sequence used, the Season 1 Textless Endng has the same problem.
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The whole g1 series is a product fault that needs to be fixed, including the duplicate episode...

Madman needs to to go back to the drawing board and fix up this colossal stuff up of a release and get what's out in shops off the shelves and junk the disc's as no amount of editing is going to fix the flaws with the release.

You're not the 1st person to bring up the faults with this series, though it looks like they're looking into it now.

With alot of series throughout the 80's had this common problem when things weren't finished so the episode date got pushed back until it was ready so going by original air dates may not be possible, this might be a pain in saying it, Madman may need to sit down and watch g1 to put the fractured g1 series in order so this series has a decent release.

This series will always have an echo in a 5.1 sound setup as the original audio was designed to be listened to in a stereo or quadraphonic setup not 5.1 what we listen to in now days...
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the echo you refer occur to on some episodes like noticably the first half of Dark Awakening and 1-2 other episodes like the Rebirth episodes?
I once brought this up AGES back and Slykura replied to it but didn't take it fully seriously at the time.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: