Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

DEATH NOTE ON ABC2 STARTS APRIL 14TH 9:30PM!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
DEATH NOTE ON ABC2 STARTS APRIL 14TH 9:30PM!
Author
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stoss wrote:
I watched it. But man... I hate the dubs.

Feel free to buy the DVDs then Smile
Dime_fan3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn it would be good if Channel 10 ran their shows on time. I bugs me when 2 shows that you want to watch clash. Good thing mum brought a dvd/HD recorder But yeah did watch Death note last night after missing the first ep last week, but i could still follow whats going on. Its quite the interesting series.

...Also, it really sucks when you got 3 good shows on the same night, and 2 are on at the same time. (Good game and Good News Week) Caught the tail end of the Mario Kart Wii review, too! Evil or Very Mad

I have a new blog!

http://thirtypixels.wordpress.com
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dime_fan3 wrote:
...Also, it really sucks when you got 3 good shows on the same night, and 2 are on at the same time. (Good game and Good News Week) Caught the tail end of the Mario Kart Wii review, too! Evil or Very Mad

Well Good Game is shown twice each week, at 9:00 PM on ABC2 on Tuesday, and at 12:25 AM on ABC1 on Saturday.
Itachigotchi
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Feel free to buy the DVDs then Smile

Dont worry... I'm up to date with the DVDs. Wink
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stoss wrote:
I watched it. But man... I hate the dubs.

Death Note is one of the shows that I would never watch subbed, just toooo much dialogue to keep up if you were reading subtitles Razz

also, is it just me or did L's voice seem a bit deeper than you'd expect? I expected him to have a kind of lighter, nerdier voice tbh
Norbie
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
'some people who are like "why get the dvd if you have seen it on TV" and wont bother buying the dvd.'

The first Anime show i started collecting one dvd at a time when it came out was NGE Plat. ed. Why? Well its just something that you need to have in your collection whether you liked the show or not. The next series that i collected one dvd at a time was Fullmetal Alch. Why? Well...... I just had to have those 'limited edtion' Tins to hold the dvds. I am now collecting Hellsing Ult. one at a time since i don't want to wait when the whole collection is released in 2011.

Besides those cases mentioned above, i'd rather wait for the series to be released in one collection to save $50 or so.

Here we are now with Deathnote. I saw a couple of episodes on the net which i liked and i thought it would be a good series to get when the whole collection is released in a one big box set. Has my mind changed since hearing that Deathnote will be shown on tv? (I can recieve ABC2). You would think that i wouldn't even bother getting the box set when i can watch the whole series on tv for free.

Well.....i purchased Vol.1 and Vol.2. I've preordered Vol.3. Why? I just love the Limited Edition Collector's Figurine that come along with the individual dvds.

I believe the incentive is worthwile to get the dvds as they come out rather than waiting for the show to come out in one box set.

Well....i'm sure i could have said what i meant with half the words i used above, but what the hell.

So what is my advice to the question: Should i wait get the whole set when it comes out in the near future, or should i get the individual dvds as they come out? Can you guess my answer?

Get those individual dvds with the collectors figurine, they are really worth the extra $10.

Thats all for me now.

Enjoy the show

NH
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
Get those individual dvds with the collectors figurine, they are really worth the extra $10.

if your talking about the difference between getting the boxset and everything individually I reckon that the price difference would be a lot larger than that

also with this weeks ep, was it just me or was the picture kind of weird again? not as bad as week 1 but kinda small again
Itachigotchi
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
exe3 wrote:

also with this weeks ep, was it just me or was the picture kind of weird again? not as bad as week 1 but kinda small again

I agree.. I think it was small.
djtaki
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have never caught the show on DVD, so I am loving the ABC2 broadcasts. Regarding the weird sizing that is going on - I have a theory they were showing it "small" so all 4:3 TVs could see the full widescreen picture. I wish they would just broadcast in proper 16:9 like the ads for the program! 4:3 TV owners can just miss out on the sides!

I don't mind the dub at all. I think they have done a really good job with all the voice actors! Nice to team it after Good Game too... it's a very entertaining way to spend an hour. With Skins coming back to SBS on Monday nights at 10pm, it is really going to be a great couple of hours of TV (I know Skins isn't Anime, but Madman does do the local distribution!) Very Happy
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
exe3 wrote:
[..]

Death Note is one of the shows that I would never watch subbed, just toooo much dialogue to keep up if you were reading subtitles Razz

also, is it just me or did L's voice seem a bit deeper than you'd expect? I expected him to have a kind of lighter, nerdier voice tbh

What c'mon, I watched it subbed and from comparing my reading speed with my peers, I'm actually quite a slow reader. It's not that hard. Shocked
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*sigh* New Boston Legal starts airing at the same time, and it looks like ABC2 is likely to catch up to the DVDs in time. Why is everything good on at the same time on different channels on Mondays?
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did anyone watch it last night? How did it look?
Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
El^Presidente wrote:
Did anyone watch it last night? How did it look?
It was in proper 16x9 again.

Good episode, that. Smile
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
IS it just me or do the episodes go really quickly. I sit down at 9:30 and the next thing I know its 9:55.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That happens in any really talky series that's only punctuated by occassional action. That plus on a channel without ads.
chibi_ric
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timesplitter 01 wrote:
IS it just me or do the episodes go really quickly. I sit down at 9:30 and the next thing I know its 9:55.

I feel exactly the same way. Its like, damn, over already! Crying or Very sad

They should do 2 back to back! Very Happy
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
chibi_ric wrote:
[..]

I feel exactly the same way. Its like, damn, over already! Crying or Very sad

They should do 2 back to back! Very Happy

like they do Noein lol, which sadly ended today though I had to tape them cuz I was out (mothers day, go figure Razz ) and haven't seen em yet, actually 2 eps back to back would be ideal considering the show goes for a lengthy 37 episodes
Mr popo
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will the TV series airing on ABC 2 finish before all the DVDs are released?
Nakaleen
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I have Vol 4 at the moment (up to ep 16) and getting Vol 5 at the end of the month. So I have a while to go before the TV overtakes me. Don't know where Oz is up to.

Funny side note. Was watching Full Metal Panic 2nd raid the other night and spotted L riding a push bike. Rewatching it (and searching on the net) found out that most of the main char from Death Note show up in that one scene in FMP (I didn't spot Light and his father the first time as their had their backs turned, but spotted Misa)
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nakaleen wrote:
Funny side note. Was watching Full Metal Panic 2nd raid the other night and spotted L riding a push bike. Rewatching it (and searching on the net) found out that most of the main char from Death Note show up in that one scene in FMP (I didn't spot Light and his father the first time as their had their backs turned, but spotted Misa)

lol, which ep and at what time?

also, does anyone know if Death Note has a repeat day? I missed the ep today and I can't find one, if not, i'll have to get it elsewhere Evil or Very Mad
Nakaleen
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Episode 6, Outside the hair dressers.

Here is the shot

Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
exe3 wrote:
[..]also, does anyone know if Death Note has a repeat day? I missed the ep today and I can't find one, if not, i'll have to get it elsewhere Evil or Very Mad
Nope, no repeats at this stage Confused
leewill
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first episode to move ahead of the dvd releases was on tonight, well the Australian release the R1 ones are still further on. Guess I won't be able to miss watching it anymore Razz
narutofan11-2008
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timesplitter 01 wrote:
Exactly. I Got Foxtel IQ i record the show and i fast forward the ads then i think whats the point it's only promos for the channel it's self! Not like ads for like 'The ab king pro, red rooster, rugmart' and all of that etc. etc. but either way i guess how think it is? it is confusing! Anyway it is convinient that anime is getting popular aroung the globe and on your tv! Yeah I Find when i watch on my dvd it seems much longer! i think some bits they cut out! but volume 4 is rated pg and they're up to the middle of vol 4 on abc2 and they still rate it M and one time i was looking through the planner on foxtel iq i look at the episode synposis for ep 12 and it said MA then it said M and what's the point there was no blood and also not the tiniest bit of violence! i would rate that episode PG but that's just my opinion!
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's more than likely rated MA or M due to the themes the series is based on - aka killing lots of people.
Crypt
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well after seeing episode 15 with the capture and interrogation of Misa I think it's more deserving of its M rating now.
djtaki
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't watched a whole anime series on TV since Neon Genesis's first screening in the 90s. I can't believe how good the series is so far, and I have resisted all spoilers so far, so it's all new and exciting for me.

Can't wait to get my hand on the final Death Note box when Madman release it (with all the volumes). Do you think that the final big box will be available maybe mid-next year?
narutofan11-2008
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crypt wrote:
Well after seeing episode 15 with the capture and interrogation of Misa I think it's more deserving of its M rating now.
Quote To Both These Posts about ratings! i also stated that it said EP 12 (LAST EP IN VOL 3) They said it was MA and nothing happened misa sent in a bunch of tapes to a the sakura tv station! i reckon that was a pg tops!
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*sigh* this is where Death Note starts to go downhill, not to the point where it gets bad mind you, but it doesn't get as awesome as it has been in the last 15 eps again Sad
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bumpity bump.

Ooph, I was not looking forward to tonight's episode. Obviously won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but for those who have, and have read the manga, there's quite a difference in the two adaptations for this scene. So, spoilers away.
In the manga, as he dies L thinks to himself that he knew Light was Kira all along. In the anime this is absent, but from the added scenes earlier in the episode he seems adamant about it anyway, and has somehow figured out he is going to die soon. Which version feels better to you guys?
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hagane_Gir wrote:
Bumpity bump.

Ooph, I was not looking forward to tonight's episode. Obviously won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but for those who have, and have read the manga, there's quite a difference in the two adaptations for this scene. So, spoilers away.
In the manga, as he dies L thinks to himself that he knew Light was Kira all along. In the anime this is absent, but from the added scenes earlier in the episode he seems adamant about it anyway, and has somehow figured out he is going to die soon. Which version feels better to you guys?

I reckon the anime version is terrible, absolute filler and padding completely destroys the shock and gravity of the situation, part of what made the event so important was that it happened out of no where, but the anime just filed it up and attempted to add some sentimentality to it and 'lead up' to it, very disappointing imo

it's not the first time the anime has mucked up a scene the part when Light regains his memories and is all evil looking and goes "All according to plan!!!" was epic in the manga, while in the anime the shot of him regaining his memories was cool the rest of that bit was dull
animefreak.97
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with u exe3.

Is there any difference between the Death Note Live-action movies to the anime and manga?
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a big difference between all three. I've only seen the movies and up to where Madman series release is at (haven't read the manga but I imagine there is some difference), and so far, while the story is essentially the same, there are quite a few different scenes in the series compared to the movie (some scenes are quite different but the same outcome is achieved if you get my drift).
Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exe3 wrote:
[..]I reckon the anime version is terrible, absolute filler and padding completely destroys the shock and gravity of the situation, part of what made the event so important was that it happened out of no where, but the anime just filed it up and attempted to add some sentimentality to it and 'lead up' to it, very disappointing imo

I remember being glued to my seat watching this episode for the first time. Razz

I haven't read a lot of the manga but I'm guessing the difference here is that in the anime L has kind of figured out (or at least suspects) what's going on. This kind of makes sense - L is pretty smart, but for once he just wasn't in a position to do much about the situation.

I guess it's worth noting that in Japan, pretty much everyone knew how the story went before the anime even went to air, so you couldn't really rely on the impact of an "unexpected" plot twist. Perhaps this is why they tried to up the drama a bit. It worked well though IMO.

animefreak.97 wrote:
Is there any difference between the Death Note Live-action movies to the anime and manga?

Yeah, there's quite a few differences (especially towards the end). Since there's only 2 movies some of the side plots are skipped over and a lot of stuff from later in the story is missing altogether - the ending is different. There's worse adaptations though Razz
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Hiker wrote:
I haven't read a lot of the manga but I'm guessing the difference here is that in the anime L has kind of figured out (or at least suspects) what's going on. This kind of makes sense - L is pretty smart, but for once he just wasn't in a position to do much about the situation.

nah, L always knew it was Light he's just trying to find proof, the problem is that nothing in that episode actually happens, when they get back to the station after the 'take down' L never gets depressed (I don't think) and instantly goes into the next phase in which Rem realizes what's happening and kills him, no plodding around in the rain etc, an instant and shockingly unexpected death
Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, of course L suspected it was Light all along, I just meant in this particular episode he seemed to have some idea, after everything that's just happened, what Light's actual plan was; he knew he was about to die.

Sure the "angsty" stuff was all made up for the anime, and yeah a lot of it was a bit contrived, so I can see why people prefer the manga version. I just didn't mind it personally - the extra stuff adds a bit more tension building up to the moment everyone knows is coming anyway. Plus, L being truly outsmarted is kind of hard to believe. Razz

Then again, I think even the movie ending was kind of cool in its own way.
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
argh, now they're skipping content :/
animefreak.97
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do u think its a coincidence that last night was the 10th of November and in last nights Death Note episode it was the 10th of November aswell?
Hmmmm...
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
animefreak.97 wrote:
Do u think its a coincidence that last night was the 10th of November and in last nights Death Note episode it was the 10th of November aswell?
Hmmmm...

lol, I never noticed such a thing
Crypt
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
animefreak.97 wrote:
Hmmmm...

I noticed that as well. Just a funny coincidence Razz
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crypt wrote:
[..]

I noticed that as well. Just a funny coincidence Razz

or was it? >.>
Crypt
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dun dun dun
animefreak.97
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crypt you have broken a rule please change your gif avatar to a jpg with the specified size.
(just saving you from the crazy mods)Smile
Crypt
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware that we aren't allowed .gifs.
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Swinging more on topic again, I managed to miss last week's episode. So if anyone could give me a quick recount of what happened in it before tonight's episodes, much appreciated. Razz I've already read the manga so I don't mind spoilers, just wanna see where we left off from last time.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
www.deathnote.com.au <- We post a summary of each week's ep on the Friday before the episode airs Smile
animefreak.97
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im not gonna be able to watch Mondays episode because im going to Canberra for 3 days with school so luckily the Death Note website has episode summary's.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aaand it's all over. Personally I preferred the manga version, especially for the finale and L's death, but still pretty good.

Now I just gotta complete my DVD collection so I can watch it again w/e.

My biggest disappointment though was that Ryuk killing Light wasn't done face to face, so there was none of that pleading, and no flashback to the "heaven or hell" discussion from the beginning.

Anyhoo, that's my $0.02
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inniss 1428 wrote:
Aaand it's all over. Personally I preferred the manga version, especially for the finale and L's death, but still pretty good.

Now I just gotta complete my DVD collection so I can watch it again w/e.

My biggest disappointment though was that Ryuk killing Light wasn't done face to face, so there was none of that pleading, and no flashback to the "heaven or hell" discussion from the beginning.

Anyhoo, that's my $0.02

Having not read the manga I thought the ending was great. Anything that could make me feel slightly sympathetic for Light must have done something right.
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I told everyone I didn't like this show... but I was indeed watching it on tv. So the ending, yeah, I had absolutely no sympathy for Light. I couldn't wait to see him get what he deserved. Also, I wasn't all the big on L, either. Personally, I like Near more, he was far better, and I wouldn't mind a series about him, actually.

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: