Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Sri Lankan cricket team target of terrorist attack 6 injured

Sri Lankan cricket team target of terrorist attack 6 injured
Author
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Sri Lankan cricket team target of terrorist attack 6 injured Reply with quote
Quote:
New Delhi: Unidentified gunmen opened fire on a bus carrying members of Sri Lankan cricket team to Gaddafi stadium in Lahore on Tuesday morning, Dawn news channel reported.

The attack took place at Liberty Chowk in the heart of the Lahore city.

A Pakistani official said six of the players are injured and have been admitted to a city hospital.

The players reported injured are Thilan Samaraweera, Kumar Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis, Mahela Jayawardene, Tharanga Paranavithana and Chaminda Vaas.

Pacer Chaminda Vaas was carried off in a stretcher.

The attackers - who came in a white car - lobbed two grenades at the bus carrying the players.

The gunmen, reportedly surrounded the team van and opened fire indiscriminately. They reportedly continuously for two to three minutes.

The attackers then started firing at a police van which was providing security to the Lankan team.

Five policemen are reported dead.

Officials said rocket launchers were used in the attack as well.

Dawn channel showed footage of two gunmen opening fire.

At least 12 gunmen are believed to be involved in the attack.

The Sri Lankan tour has been officially called off.

Six members of the Sri Lankan team were injured near Gaddafi Stadium, Pakistan Cricket Board security official Nadeem Iqbal said.

City police chief Haji Habibur Rehman said five policemen died in the shooting.

"Samaravera has a thigh injury, Ajantha Mendis has also been injured, all players have been taken to the hotel but two of them are in the hospital," Sri Lanka Sports Minister Lokuke Gamini said.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/gunmen-attack-lankan-team-6-players-injured/86657-2.html

A few conflicting reports depending on which news server you go to, some say 2 injured, some say 8. However, this is devastating news. Thoughts go out to the 5 policeman who died in the attack. Policemen always get a rough deal.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to the BBC report, the Sri Lankan media is the source of the "2 in hospital" figure. The sports minister says the injuries to players and team staff are minor.

This will mark the end of cricket tours of Pakistan for the foreseeable future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dang. But seriously all that and they only had minor injuries? That must have been one strong bus...
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was shocking when I seen it on the news hope the players pull through I can see why out aussie team wont go to parkistan for security reasons.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So yeah, the captain* was injured as well as Vaas and Sangakara. They're not sure if it's shrapnel or not. Also reports about the Aussie coach and the fact that he may have been injured. Of course, a lot of these reports are conflicting.

On a more political side of things, this is a huge blow to Pakistani cricket. This will effectively end tours in Pakistan (and maybe even have an effect on Sri Lanka) until the Pakistani government get off the arses and deal with the terrorist threats in their country but seeing as how the majority are corrupt I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Realistically, the ICC should have banned players travelling to Pakistan quite a while ago, even before the bombings that affected the New Zealand team. Unfortunately, they're just as bad and are more concerned with money than they are for the players welfare and even the game.
TidalWave_Jeannette
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Aiya. Reply with quote
BTW, if I were the ICC, I would reschedule matches and have them in North America instead of cancelling the tours. (At least until the current situation in Pakistan is better)
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Aiya. Reply with quote
TidalWave_Jeannette wrote:
BTW, if I were the ICC, I would reschedule matches and have them in North America instead of cancelling the tours. (At least until the current situation in Pakistan is better)

North America don't have the facilities. I think Australia play their neutral venue games against Pakistan in the UAE. In fact, while the test series between Australia and Pakistan is still cancelled (they didn't manage to reschedule because of Australia's crazy international cricket schedule this year) they managed to reschedule 5 ODI's and a couple of 20/20's to be played gainst Pakistan in the UAE straight after the tour of South Africa and before the tour of England. Poor compensation for Pakistan but it's the best they could do at the moment.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aiya. Reply with quote
drae wrote:
I think Australia play their neutral venue games against Pakistan in the UAE.

Ooh, that's not going to be fun. Last time that happened several players from both sides came perilously close to suffering severe dehydration and they were forced to take drinks breaks just about every over.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: