Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

NEW Fullmetal Alchemist series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
NEW Fullmetal Alchemist series
Author
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sakuya wrote:
Nana

Ah, so the Madman translation of Nana will be differerent to the US one? At least make sure to have a signs-only track, the US release didn't so I had to turn on the subtitles every time I wanted to read what was written on someone's mobile. Razz

Also it turns out the FMA: Brotherhood will in fact run for 64 episodes, not the 63 like we all thought.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Also it turns out the FMA: Brotherhood will in fact run for 64 episodes, not the 63 like we all thought.
Where did you find this out?
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-08/fma/b-ends-july-4-sengoku-basara-2-starts-july-11
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yahoo!
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Best news in that link is that the second season of Sengoku Basara is starting next month.

PUT YA GUNS ON!

Also, i was telling this to my friend the other day. Will bones be able to resist the urge to end the anime on a cliff hanger and have the final chapters as a movie. (i mean, they are always saying the anime itself in ending at the same time as the manga, not storywise).

Personally i would like that, cause animation is always better in movies, but i really can't see it happening.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No way will they do the end as a movie. Most people would hate needing to pay for the end of the story after 64 episodes of television. It would generate a lot of ill will towards the studio. And, due to being different productions, wouldn't be in complete DVD/BD sets as standard.

So, no movie.
Sakuya
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.madman.com.au/actions/video.do?method=view&videoId=2115

Episode 60 up for all!

Regarding Nana, yes I will be putting in a signs track which the US release didn't do.

FYI Fullmetal Alchemist manga has ended, the last chapter was recently released - I've read it and it's quite a nice ending to the series. It's a little open ended which could possibly spawn other Fullmetal spin offs but I think Arakawa wants to do something new (it hints it a little by saying look forward to her next work).
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
No way will they do the end as a movie. Most people would hate needing to pay for the end of the story after 64 episodes of television. It would generate a lot of ill will towards the studio. And, due to being different productions, wouldn't be in complete DVD/BD sets as standard.

So, no movie.

I also want to see the main story end with the series. I've mentioned previously that I thought more could have been done with the early story, perhaps as OVAs or a movie.

Anyway I'm going to make a coffee and settle down for ep 60.
Ahh..life is good Wink

EDIT: Well... Shocked ... after watching that I'll amend my comment and say; "Life Was Good!"
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that what happened in the second half of this episode was something that I absolutely hated when I first read it in the manga, but the anime version just felt better somehow, and I enjoyed it a lot more. There were a few chilling scenes there, most notably the shot of Ross' lifeless face. Pure creepy.

Last few episodes are gonna be fantastic!
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Impressive second half. What chapter in the manga does that happen? I remember seeing some of it.

4 episodes to go! Almost there!
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Impressive second half. What chapter in the manga does that happen? I remember seeing some of it.

4 episodes to go! Almost there!

Chapter 104. So four chapters left to cover in four episodes (apparently), but bear in mind these last few chapters are significantly longer than most.
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
great ending to a great series for the manga, was refreshing to follow a manga who's quality didn't start to go all over the place after a while *cough* Bleach *cough* sad to see it end though

I so called FMA finishing at ch108 Razz or at least I knew it would >.> seen a few manga finish around that mark for some reason

o and I now have broadband wooo! but I think I might wait for any airing or release of the dub, hard to switch between sub and dub when you start with one or the other

my money is on the old voice of Alphonse voicing Ling Razz
oscilator
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
exe3 wrote:
my money is on the old voice of Alphonse voicing Ling Razz

actually ling is voiced by Todd Haberkorn and i dont really think thats a spoiler
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
exe3 wrote:
I so called FMA finishing at ch108 Razz or at least I knew it would >.> seen a few manga finish around that mark for some reason

May I direct your attention to this? That's right! I just lead you to TV Tropes! Enjoy having the next few hours and/or days taken from you!

As for Aaron Dismuke in Brotherhood, I hear he's playing young Hohenheim.

This clearly makes me the very best, like no one ever was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
[..]

May I direct your attention to this? That's right! I just lead you to TV Tropes! Enjoy having the next few hours and/or days taken from you!

Nooo I just got that site out of my system! I've been living there for like a month. >.>

Uhm, um...FMA stuff! Yeah...

At this point I'd say young papa Hoho is most likely who he'll voice, but then again I would like to be surprised...
exe3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh well, I haven't been following Brotherhood so don't really know what's what Razz also I closed the link Razz
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sakuya wrote:
Just got the bluray test discs for Brotherhood, it wasn't done by us so it won't have the "aussie" changes that I did for the upcoming local dvd release.

You're not wrong (clearly because you're staff). I received my Blu-Ray edition today, watched the first episode, and nothing on it except the DVD case art on it says Madman. No opening logo when the disc starts up, it's Funimation's one, as per the DVD previews, it's DBZ Kai, and although we too are getting it, what is shown is Funimation's copy.

Did Madman have no editing control over this? Or was it simply due to its ease?
Loki4life
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hagane_Gir wrote:
[..]

At this point I'd say young papa Hoho is most likely who he'll voice, but then again I would like to be surprised...

Totally agreeing. I'd be surprised if it wasn't him.
In other news, got the first collection delivered a few days ago. The foil slick is gorgeous... Very Happy
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Renton7 wrote:
[..]

Did Madman have no editing control over this? Or was it simply due to its ease?

I admit to feeling a sense of disappointment that the BD won't have the Madman/Sakua touch. It's clear to me that the Madman crew has a passion and pride in the work they do and it shows consistently.
I'm pretty passionate about my anime and as a fairly hardcore collector (as much as I can afford to be at least) and in knowing there is that difference between the DVD and the BD, I wouldn't mind having both versions....or is that just starting to get a bit crazy?
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't worry, I thought about it too UncaBou, but adding it all up, that's where it seems crazy.

With 5 collections @ approx 13 episodes each with 64 episodes in the series:

* $65 per Blu-Ray collection - multiplied by 5 = $325
* $60 per DVD collection - multiplied by 5 = $300

Therefore $625 on doubles lol.

It just seems weird Madman couldn't go in and edit the Blu-Ray, they haven't even changed the Region coding, with it still being A and B. But looking into it even further, it doesn't even seem as if the disc was produced here. Usually Madman DVD's have the logo printed on them, this however, does not. It seems to be a simple import from Funimation, and swap out the cover art to a new one.

This is my first Madman Blu-Ray, I wonder if all are like this. I'm not complaining, just curious. Can we get clarification?
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went to my local JB this morning but alas not FMA-B on the shelf as yet. I'll restrain myself just enough to see what the June Newsletter 'Offer Of The Month" is and that should be out any day.
Wow, I haven’t been as eager to get a home release video since “The Lord of the Rings”!
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll be going to Supanova this weekend anyway (cosplaying as Red from Pokémon), so I'll try and grab one there before getting it signed by Vic Mignogna. Razz

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Renton7 wrote:

It just seems weird Madman couldn't go in and edit the Blu-Ray, they haven't even changed the Region coding, with it still being A and B. But looking into it even further, it doesn't even seem as if the disc was produced here. Usually Madman DVD's have the logo printed on them, this however, does not. It seems to be a simple import from Funimation, and swap out the cover art to a new one.

This is my first Madman Blu-Ray, I wonder if all are like this. I'm not complaining, just curious. Can we get clarification?

This is done on purpose. Reason being that if we authored the disc locally and printed ourselves to be region B only, we would be charging a lot more than $65. The cost of producing our own BDs is still extremely expensive. So if there is an alternative available to us, we will use it.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ Slykura
One would expect the time will come when the BD production process for Madman will be entirely local. I suggest you point that out on your packaging and include source material quality info such as "Produced from Native 1080p Masters".
As I mentioned previously, Madman's rep for quality is high in my view. Providing the consumer with this kind of detail on the packaging will only support Madman's image as a quality supplier.
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ Sly

That's all good. It's understandable too. Also save us the hassle from having to import and convert currency etc Very Happy
Andy_ubio
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Renton7 wrote:

Yeah Madman have done this with a few of their other Blu-Ray titles. The only titles I know of are the two Afro Samurai BD's. They dont have a MM logo or previews on either of the discs. It just has the MANGA logo on it and the age rating symbols that are used in the UK.

But i know Sword of The Stranger and Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence both have MM logos menues, previews and what not.
Although i cant tell you about any of their other Blu-Ray releaes.
I also have GITS 2.0, Akira and FMA Movie... But i havent got around to opening/watching them, so can tell you if they have the Madman touches or not. Lol.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neither the Fullmetal Alchemist movie nor Vexille disc labels have the Madman logo. It stands to reason that they are US-authored discs.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neither the Fullmetal Alchemist movie nor Vexille disc labels have the Madman logo. It stands to reason that they are US-authored discs.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see the June Anime newsletter has the complete original FMA series for $120 as the offer of the month. It's a good deal but I was hopeful they'd also do something special for the manga. Perhaps now the series is ended a complete set package will be worth the extra wait.
FMA-B BD has arrived at my local store at last so I'm off to shop!

EDIT: Back from the shop with my FMA-BD in hand I checked for Ep61 which is now up and what a thrilling episode it is. Sad to think it all ends in 3 weeks but what a good thing it has been.
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, so 61 is up, and right at the end of the preview it says 'don't miss the last 3 episodes!' so I guess there are 64 episodes, but that actually leaves me wondering how they'll space out these last two chapters into three episodes.

First, 61 was amazing, but it brings up something that bugged me in the manga, too, that Father's ultimate plan is foiled rather quickly. At the moment I'm trying to figure out of this is a good or bad thing, really. I feel its...different, at least. Razz

Anyway, 61 ended with a few pages of chapter 106 to go, which then makes me think that they really went through 105 and 106 quickly. I was surprised at how fast it went by. But anyway, that leaves us with two and a bit chapters, and judging by the episode preview for 62 most, if not all of chapter 107 will be covered. I know that 108 was a longer chapter at 112 or so pages but I don't see it filling out two episodes unless there's some added scenes (which honestly I'd enjoy).

Going to hopefully by the first DVD collection tomorrow at Supanova. Really looking forward to it now.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
UncaBou wrote:
Perhaps now the series is ended a complete set package will be worth the extra wait.

It's finished running in Monthly Shounen Gangan but the last five chapters have yet to be released in their collected format in Japan yet let alone an English language version. I wouldn't expect that until late next year.

On episode 61 there are several things to say. Saraba Wrath, Yay Kimbely! Now let the ass whooping commence!

Though given the number of episodes vs the amount of manga left to animate, even though I can confidently state the animators will draw everything out to wring as much drama from them as possible the only way to fill out three episodes (from my POV) is for episode 64 to basically be an expanded version of the epilogue section of chapter 108
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ Knight of L-sama
Thanks for that. I didn't know about the English release situation etc.
Is there any talk about manga for tablet/eReader devices? Reading the FMA manga on an iPad or something similar is very appealing to me. With the Japanese zest for such technology, it seems a natural fit.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For all that Japan has a reputation for the home of the techo-fad manga publishers are actually being very slow on the uptake when it comes to adapting digital distribution models (or even giving the go ahead for foreign language sub-licensor to test out such models).
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hagane_Gir wrote:
First, 61 was amazing, but it brings up something that bugged me in the manga, too, that Father's ultimate plan is foiled rather quickly. At the moment I'm trying to figure out of this is a good or bad thing, really. I feel its...different, at least. Razz

I'm only up to V22 with the manga but watching episode 61 today I had similar thoughts on that particular point. I guess it has been building up and I thought it was a great epiosode but I think maybe some more time spent describing what Hohenheim had done with the souls of the citizens of Xerces in order to foil the plot so to speak might have been beneficial - that being said there are only 3 episodes to go so I guess they have to put as much as possible into these few weeks.

@UncaBou, I would probably look at an e-book reader or something like an iPad if manga was widely available, I saw that Borders have launched a new reader for $199 last week. Personally I've not been into downloading stuff, I buy all my books and dvd's but as I get more into manga than I was previously I would like to see the option of buying an e-book version or a combination of both a physical and a device friendly copy. It might be worth starting a thread about downloadable content in regards to manga if there has not been one already started. (If you sign up to the About.com manga newsletter I am sure that I have read about this topic a few times over the past 12 months or so)
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Knight of L-sama
I wonder how deeply that attitude extends beyond the comic/manga genre and how long it will last? Ah-well, as with all things, time will tell. I'm a tail ender of the baby-boomer generation. Comics were a dominate part of my childhood entertainments, particularly the Disney comics crafted by Carl Barks (Google him and learn what a stand out talent he was). Western comics went into decline from the 70's, but the Japanese have done wonderful things. I think as eReaders such as the iPad proliferate a comic book renaissance could come about. I hope so.

EDIT:
Just read your post Trav. I'll check out that newsletter you suggested and I think a separate topic would be very good if as you say one isn't already running.

EDIT 2:
I've seen an eReader at Borders but it was monochrome and really only suited to text.
Sakuya
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Man Sydney Supanova was crazy this year!

Anyway was working there over the weekend, managed to get my Brotherhood and Conqueror Of Shamballa blurays signed by Vic Mignogna (Edward Elric), Travis Willingham (Roy Mustang) and Laura Bailey (Lust).

I got a couple of copies signed since my sister wanted a set too.

Not long now till the end of the series, another run at Supanova this time in Perth.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I mentioned on the "ANIME ON TV (FREE ON AIR AND PAY TV) GOODNESS" thread how I was unable to make Supanova (Sydney) again.
Sorry also to have missed this opportunity to talk with you in person Sakuya.
I've only been able to see Ep 1 of the FMA-B BD so far and how the quality shines. One thing I find curious, from time to time the production includes a super title, in Japanese, such as the one that identifies the prison in Ep1. The producers knew this series was going to be released in the English speaking market, why not produce an English version of the shot? Instead we have a Japanese super lower screen and a "signs" translation top of screen. It's a very sloppy production practice on what is otherwise a high quality production. I realize there's a lot of anime set in Japan so "signs" are needed for the art work translations but this is not the case for FMA which is set in an English speaking society. It would be the easiest thing to allow for, particularly during original production.

Last edited by UncaBou on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is episode 62 coming today? I may start suffering withdrawal if it's not.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Is episode 62 coming today? I may start suffering withdrawal if it's not.
I hope so, I took an annual leave day from work so I could watch it and also rescheduled a business meeting I was supposed to attend in Europe so if it doesn't come up today it will be all for nothing. Sad actually I'm fibbing, I did however delay some things so I could watch it.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obnoxiousness level... MAXIMUM!

Picture me if you will as a hyperactive child in the middle of a long car trip that still has several hours to go and you've been driving since the early hours of the morning.

{Takes a deep breath}

Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet? Is it up yet?Is it up yet?

(And if this doesn't work there's always the option of heading down to Madman's offices and singing 'This is the Song Which Doesn't End')
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:

(And if this doesn't work there's always the option of heading down to Madman's offices and singing 'This is the Song Which Doesn't End')

Thankyou so much for getting that stuck in my head.

I think I need some new FMA to get it out...Razz
Ravenhart
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shocked Where is it?? Where is the next episode?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Where is episode 62?!?!?! Shocked
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's now 8.45pm on Friday night and I'm hyper ventilating.
They say Kevin Rudd was cruelly treated but how cruel is this. We're all hanging by our finger tips in these final episodes and not a word to say what's happened to the third last episode.
C'mon Madman, put us out of our misery and tell us it when it will be up.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Usually if there is any kind of delay something gets mentioned on here or there is something written about it on the Screening Room. Maybe it's getting to the stage where people are hanging out for episode 62 so much that there are those who are willing to go through the White Pages and see which Madman staffers (who's names are known that is) have listed home phone numbers and start a phone blitz to find out what is the situation! Razz
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is something strange about the Madman website this weekend. I've tried to send a Private Message but it won't work. It may be what's delayed episode 62.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm guessing we probably won't see it until after the weekend, what with Perth Supanova and all. Confused

Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I typed it into Google and was able to watch it but I'm not sure that it was a legit version - I'll watch it again when it does go up on the Madman site. From what I watched then it is going to be worth the extra couple of days wait as it is an awesome episode.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe they're storing up the last three episodes to unleash them all at once.

Maybe.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's definitely something wrong with the Madman site. Yesterday it was taking ages to load and I've also stopped receiving Email notifications when a new post is up, plus as mentioned I can't send a Private Message.
As SaiyamanMS says, I’m not expecting to see it before Monday afternoon.
Might follow your lead Travku!

EDIT Monday 28/6/10 10.27am - I see that episode 62 is up.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was watching the first Blu-ray, and I realised something. The first person in the OP, in front of the stone alchemy array is young Hoenheim. It never clicked before, I had just assumed it was a strange representation of Ed.

Re ep 62 - I can't find it on either the SR front page, the FMAB page, or the RSS live feed.

EDIT - it's there now, but it's already marked off as watched - wha?

Page 15 of 16

Jump to: