Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Code Geass?!

Code Geass?!
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Code Geass?! Reply with quote
I reeeeeealy want to see this, i heard it was good but that is about it.

Can someone please care to explain? The things about iton the internet seem to be a bit shallow.

Thanks!
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alternate History sci-fi/mecha with a decent dose of politics thrown in, especially in the second season.

Basically the British won the American Revolution. Fast forward a while and they are currently an expansionist Empire. The mother of one of the Princes (main character Lelouch) is assassinated and in the political fallout Lelouch and his younger sister who was left blind and paraplegic from the attack are exiled to Japan.
A few years after that Britannia invades Japan (with mecha known as Knightmare Frames). Some years after that Lelouch and his sister are living in the Britannia controlled Tokyo under assumed names. Due to a series of events he gains the power known as Geass, which in his case is the ability to issue absolute commands. He then uses this power and his own innate tactical and strategic genius to form a fighting force on his own with plans to find out who caused the death of his mother and to bring down Britannia as revenge for abandoning him.

Anything more is very spoilerish. Though I can safely say that it's not just what Lelouch does but they way he does it that makes this series so enjoyable.
AnimeFanX
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh my gawd i just got the vol 1 + collectors box and its sooooo awesomely awesome, thanks for your help Knight of L-sama
chris_da_man
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just started to watch it myself. I have no idea what's going on
rukiasoul
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh you will love it. We are already on season 2 in the states. If you like mecha anime this is for you. The characters are awesome and lots of fan service lol
MoonGoddess17
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Code Geass is alright.
The second season is on crack though~

You should give it a try if you're curious.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The second season is a horrible trainwreck.

That is not to say you wont enjoy it. Not at all! It is a very entertaining trainwreck.
Melbourne Mew Mew
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dr.Jackal wrote:
The second season is a horrible trainwreck.

That is not to say you wont enjoy it. Not at all! It is a very entertaining trainwreck.

I am sick of hearing the word "trainwreck" in relation to R2. It is nothing of the sort.

If you want to see a REAL trainwreck, go watch Gundam Seed Destiny.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Melbourne Mew Mew wrote:
[..]

I am sick of hearing the word "trainwreck" in relation to R2. It is nothing of the sort.

If you want to see a REAL trainwreck, go watch Gundam Seed Destiny.
And I am sick of hearing people bash Gundam SEED Destiny.

You know there are worse anime out there.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Melbourne Mew Mew wrote:

I'll agree that train wreck isn't quite the right phrase (there was no crash at the end) you have to admit that the production stuff did seem to be hell bent on seeing just how far they could escalate things before wrapping up.
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shuddup. Shuddup. Shuddup. I'm at the good part of R2 now, about 6 episodes to go. It seems to be moving fast, but so did the first season. I absolutely love this series, one of my favourites. I don't see how its a trainwreck, but 'to each has his own'. After the series I would like to hear opinions on why you think it, if you do, but not now I don't want spoilers.
Melbourne Mew Mew
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Anime Fan wrote:
[..]

Yeah, but not many.

I remember at AI-con a couple of years ago someone declared My Otome to be the worst anime ever. My response was "You've obviously never seen Don't Leave Me Alone Daisy!".
Bowspearer
Koishi Herikawa

Location: Central Coast (the place being slowly devoured by the hole known as Sydney which I escaped from)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Anime Fan wrote:
[..]

Yeah, like Zeta Gundam. The series has Tomino writing to his weaknesses, his characterisations don't connect at all with the audience, the pacing of the plot is problematic, and the whole series is anti climactic.

Alternately, from the clips I've seen of the movies- they're completely rewritten to Tomino's strengths, and while the characters aren't quite at the same level of heart-string tugging as SEED's, what I saw made me REALLY want to see more!

It's ironic because the series is utterly woeful to the point where I paid $10 USD + shipping for it and still feel ripped off. However, I'd happily pay over $100USD for the movies set.
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished watching Geass R2 today. Loved it, although I didn't want it really being another Death Note, it was kind of expected, although this one was different, it was for the right reasons, and I wouldn't consider it as a loss to Lelouch. And yes people who were thought to be dead but were actually alive was a bit confusing, but it was easy to look past. Don't understand how it was a train wreck though. I enjoyed the series pace, it was never boring, and always left you at the edge of your seat.

I would high recommend.
eschulz
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
its an excellent series, I've had the pleasure of actually seeing the whole 2 seasons, its just gets better as you go, if you think its great now wait until the second season (which will be a while for all of you who are watching it on TV, I feel your pain)
Mukashi
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
[..]

I'll agree that train wreck isn't quite the right phrase (there was no crash at the end) you have to admit that the production stuff did seem to be hell bent on seeing just how far they could escalate things before wrapping up.

Let's be honest here, it really needed a 3rd season to tie up all the plot threads. I don't think it was really all that much of a trainwreck until about R2 episode 20 or so, with things starting to go to hell in a handbasket so quickly, but when it did become a trainwreck, it was a massive one. A massively enjoyable one, but still a massive one. Perhaps due to the series having to be altered slightly after changing timeslots from a late night for the first to weekend prime time for R2.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: