What is a Geis (Geas)?

What is a Geis (Geas)?
Author
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: What is a Geis (Geas)? Reply with quote
Greetings all, allow me to present random but related trivia!

The usage of "Geass" is based on the mythological Geis (also Geas). This reflects the nature of Lelouche's ability. Wink
Especially interesting that this ability is traditionally Irish/Welsh, given the relationship of both locations to Britain.

The Geis could also be viewed as a type of curse. In literature the geis will affect the subject until they have carried out a certain task (or not carried out a task), and will have unpleasant consequences for them should they fail. While this is a little different to a traditional curse (which effects the subject regardless, and the subsequent quest is intended to remove it), the essence is essentially the same. The subject must often complete a quest in order to fulful the requirements of the Geis.

There are also similar stories in Classical and Nordic mythology. And since a sacred oath is generally seen as binding in any society, there are almost certainly examples from other cultures. However, in this instance, it is the Irish concept which is most relevant.

Furthermore, who is actually subject to the Geis? In episode one, it is Lelouche who swears an oath. He gains his power as a result of this. Perhaps he is equally as bound by it as those whom he controls?
Sylontack
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
YAY info Smile))

anyway... that was more interesting than i expected Smile
Vella Malachite
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adding to that, the punishment for disobeying a geas (in the Irish mythology, anyway) was to die. It may not be directly related to the task or instruction you disobeyed, but you would die if you broke a geas.

Lelouch's ability, I think, is the only one which really follows the 'Geas' frame, as he is pretty much imposing geasa on other people. Rolo's Geass is to stop time, which really didn't have that much to do with making people do things.

Although, it is possible that the 'Geass' refers to the contract between a Geass user and the person who gave it to them, but given that, in-series, the term 'geass' is used to refer to the power itself, I think it's more unlikely.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: