Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Changes to Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line and V1 w/box

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Changes to Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line and V1 w/box
Author
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Changes to Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line and V1 w/box Reply with quote
Changes to Madman Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line packaging and Volume 1 and Collector’s Boxes.

Dear Fans,

As you may have noticed over the past year, we have been slowly making a transition to the new slim line “fatpack” packaging that has now become standard for TV shows industry wide.

To avoid confusion over what product has and hasn’t changed and what remains in the older collector’s box format, we will henceforth change the listing for those collections that are in fatpacks and slimpacks with a (FATPACK) or (SLIMPACK) after the name of the release. The images associated with the product will also reflect this new change.

Of special notice for retailers, this means that some collections will be receiving a new catalogue number and new barcodes. This change will be reflected in an upcoming complete catalogue, so please ensure that your systems are updated to reflect this.

Additionally, as of February, all new series titles which receiving volume-by-volume release will only be receiving Volume 1 and Limited Collector’s Box releases and will no longer receive a collector’s box when released as a complete set. Instead these products will go straight into a fatpack / slimpack style slim package when collected. This is explained in the flow chart below:

Old style release:
V1 and Collector’s Box > Collector’s Box Collection > Fatpack / Slimpack

New style release
V1 and Limited Collector’s Box > Fatpack / Slimpack

From February 2009, the classification for V1 and Limited Collector’s Box products will be printed onto the box to comply with the standards set out by the OFLC. To compensate for this we are also announcing a price drop of $5 SRP on all future V1 & Limited Collector’s Box releases to $34.95SRP.

Currently unfinished series’ will still receive a Collector’s Art Box with their initial release as a complete collection, but in strictly limited quantities before transitioning to a slim-line package. Our traditional bellyband solution will still be implemented for ongoing series’ which are yet to finish and will be receiving a future volume with collector’s box release such as BLEACH and CODE GEASS: LELOUCH OF THE REBELLION R2 in order to give collectors a consistent presentation.

We appreciate your continued support and hope that these new space saving standards will continue to represent the high quality product we always strive to release in line with our by fans, for fans” motto.

The Madman Anime Team
Sephiroth_FF
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I knew this would happen! I just knew it! Evil or Very Mad

Why are you doing this MM?? Is this about the money? Is that what it is? You make more when we buy each volume individually and you scab on the packaging when you release it in those hideously flimsy cases!
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sephiroth_FF wrote:
Why are you doing this MM?? Is this about the money? Is that what it is? You make more when we buy each volume individually and you scab on the packaging when you release it in those hideously flimsy cases!

I expect the changes were made to reduce costs, and to reduce the amount of space required for those large boxed sets, especially in their warehouse. Madman should be able to store more stock in future (hopefully less items going out of stock), and retail shops can stock even more anime titles.

Madman Entertainment seems to be one of the last companies to switch to more compact packaging. Most DVD releases from other companies switched to using slimpacks long ago, other than limited editions.
Protocol7
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As long as we still get our anime, who cares?
fallenangelash
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
its all good and all for causual buyers, but that really does suck.
i was going to wait for darker than black in aus, now that the ugly OFLC logo is there, i'm reconsidering.
i think i'll have to reconsider my "buy in australia whenever possible" policy.
this is a sad day for aussie collectors.

Last edited by fallenangelash on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i agree... but why print the rating directly onto the box....

it's dumb, i dont like having an incorrect rating as much as i dont like the fatpack idea... but i cant stop this... i sure as hell can complain though...

NO PRINTING DIRECTLY ONTO THE BOX!!!!! IT STUFFS UP THE ART AND I JUST GOT USED TO IT BEING PRINTED ON COLLECTIONS.....

(but i can be rich on ebay in a few years...)
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Changes to Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line and V1 w/box Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Additionally, as of February, all new series titles which receiving volume-by-volume release will only be receiving Volume 1 and Limited Collector’s Box releases and will no longer receive a collector’s box when released as a complete set. Instead these products will go straight into a fatpack / slimpack style slim package when collected.

Can't Breathe!!! I haven't paid for individual releases in years... YEARS!

Slykura wrote:
From February 2009, the classification for V1 and Limited Collector’s Box products will be printed onto the box to comply with the standards set out by the OFLC. To compensate for this we are also announcing a price drop of $5 SRP on all future V1 & Limited Collector’s Box releases to $34.95SRP.

OH WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME??? Damn @#$%^&* OFLC, its like your in cahoots with the boxset opposition. And I suppose its going on the side, right where I have to look at it! Can't you at least put the classification on the bottom of the box?
All the ghosts that broke my heart!
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sephiroth_FF wrote:
I knew this would happen! I just knew it! Evil or Very Mad

Do you even read?

Slykura wrote:
now become standard for TV shows industry wide.

such a crybaby Rolling Eyes God forbid madman tries to make a profit in this world. Plus if you know where to shop you can get a good price and not pay the RRP you know.

They're only following industry standards, plus they are actually rather sturdy unlike the flimsy cases you get in the US thinpack releases.

Looks like i'll have to keep a closer eye as to what madman releases volume by volume now, sure it's going to suck financially but that is the way of the collector Razz

Though i would like to know what will be the average in terms of releasing individual over half season collections will be.
Sephiroth_FF
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19, just because everyone else changes doesn't mean MM have to. Why can't they be independant? And why are you always the first one to give me a hard time? If I want to complain, I have the right to do so. If you don't like it, that's you problem. I don't want to hear about it.

It doesn't matter if everyone else switches. Anime is different. Artwork is VERY important.

Will individual volumes come down in price? They should be $20 maximum. And no speedfreek19, I'm not talking to you so I'd appreciate you ignoring my posts from now on because they're pointless.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fine with me. More shelf space... if I want to look at artwork I'd buy artbooks. Better quality than you'll ever get on the spine of a box...
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sephiroth_FF wrote:
speedfreek19, just because everyone else changes doesn't mean MM have to. Why can't they be independant? And why are you always the first one to give me a hard time? If I want to complain, I have the right to do so. If you don't like it, that's you problem. I don't want to hear about it.

Cause you make it sound like it's the end of the world and you're getting screwed over?
There is a difference between complaining and accusing Madman of being scabby.

They still are independant in that they still offer the individual releases, very rarely now you'll get individual volume releases as it's mostly season collections.

I'm of the same mind about you when it comes to this announcement but i don't go ranting and raving about it and accusing things.

I agree that in a way, Anime is different in which the Artwork is a big selling point, heck it can make or break a show. Madman still are doing the box releases for some shows, yeah sure there will no longer be complete box collections next year but it's better than nothing though.

What if madman did slipcases for the half seasons or fatpacks, kinda like a collector version which has premium artwork or something and you can decide if you want to keep it on or not.
BroKeN
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your going to be such a aggressive go-getter over the artwork go and spend your money on another release (such as the R1 releases)

Plus, would you rather Madman NOT give you your anime or not? The OFLC suck I know, but you simply don't mess with the government.

Lets say Madman is in it for the money (I couldn't care less either way) but given that they are pretty much the only provider here in Australia you don't really have the room to tell them what to do.

I understand your pain though, I too was a boxset only person but I'm glad I changed now. I might be coming off rude but it's all the same. I support Madman 100%.

I'm not trying to insult anyone but since you have a right to complain, as do I.

Just my opinon though guys so don't take it to heart.
Itachigotchi
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like it'll be individual releases whenever possible for me.

You can't blame Madman though, especially in these financially turbulent times.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
exactly

At least they're still catering to both types of fans. Can't please everyone all of the time.
Shinji 3.141
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well that’s what I thought was happening; I suppose I don’t really mind expected for the OFCL tag being printed directly on the box; couldn’t it be a sticker that you could potentially remove, or have it on the bottom as was already mentioned.

BroKeN wrote:
The OFLC suck I know, but you simply don't mess with the government.

People should not fear their government; governments should fear their people.

Play Star Trek Online or Star Citizen? The Ausmonauts!
Elric of Grans
Spaurh Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What an amazing collection of absolute stupidity this thread has managed to gather. Get over yourselves, people!
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is extremely good business sense on Madman's part to do this.

Not so happy with it myself as I like the box set format more than the fatpack and haven't got the finances to buy the individual volumes but I will still get the collections when they are released in the fatpack format.

Elric of Grans wrote:
Quote:
What an amazing collection of absolute stupidity this thread has managed to gather. Get over yourselves, people!

I would interpret some of the above statements more as people being passionate about what they like and dislike rather than just call it stupidity but that's just my opinion.
Awex
Shana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sly, im just wondering, if there are any boxes left over, will there be an extremely limited run of a boxset, to get rid of the boxes? Because I think chucking them out or just selling more vol.1 + Box isn't a great idea...
But thats just my opinion.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that they will do more of a limited run of the V1 + box, they don't just "chuck em out". Once they're all sold from the warehouse and retail level, that's it.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the thread Elric. I am quite sure everyone who has so far voiced an opinion feels much better knowing that you consider their feelings to be stupid. You are a real stabilizing influence with your well thought out non-bias, and well constructed input. I am sure they would all look forward to, as you are obviously the one who sets the standards and tone, that you will also follow your own valuable advice.

You box lovers are getting pretty boned with this one. That is a shame. I feel for you. I really do. Its not like you can reverse your Box like we can with our FatPack Slips. OFLC takes another victim. *shakes Fist. Mini-wohoo for us FAPs. Only a Mini, as it seems a hollow win when the loss for our fellow MadMan and Anime Fans seem to have taken such a nasty bums rush. I understand why this has happened, it is just a shame that Ican't really be as happy about it as I should. Sorry dudes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:

You box lovers are getting pretty boned with this one. That is a shame. I feel for you. I really do. Its not like you can reverse your Box like we can with our FatPack Slips. OFLC takes another victim. *shakes Fist.

Mini-wohoo for us FAPs. Only a Mini, as it seems a hollow win when the loss for our fellow MadMan and Anime Fans seem to have taken such a nasty bums rush. I understand why this has happened, it is just a shame that Ican't really be as happy about it as I should. Sorry dudes.

You are a true gentleman HeDanny. I know that this is a victory for you as one of the founding members of the FAP's but I sincerely thankyou for your words of condolence to us BAP's.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awex wrote:
Sly, im just wondering, if there are any boxes left over, will there be an extremely limited run of a boxset, to get rid of the boxes? Because I think chucking them out or just selling more vol.1 + Box isn't a great idea...
But thats just my opinion.

Unfortunately not. This is why we are now listing the entries as LIMITED collector's box, rather than just Colletor's Box. Since the rating of V1 is printed on the box itself, it would not be possible to use that same box for the release of the complete collection.

Keep in mind that $34.95 is a $5 drop in price from what we have had since we started doing V1 and Box. Most stores also discount this as well. There will not be ANY sort of boxsets for serie's starting from February in a hard box, ever. BUT Keep in mind that series' that are still in indivdual releases that are yet to recieve a boxset release will get a limited run of boxsets if there are enough boxes available at the time of the collection's release. So our Convention exclsuives will still have a collection in a box, and anything released before Feb 2009. The first effected series will be Claymore. BUT remember that any series that we have started to release that hasn't finished yet such as BLEACH, or CODE GEASS R2 will still get the clean box treatment as a way to keep things consistent looking.
darktruth90
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not surprised with this at all.

Yes it sucks for box lovers but what can you do? Just wondering if the American companies will eventually follow this plan as well (unless they already have).

Lucky for me there's only one title affected from Madman's recent license list that I'll have to buy each volumes individually (Darker Than Black), the others I don't really have an interest in. Have already been buying like this awhile ago for shorter series such as Midori Days and Haruhi but I can understand that some don't have the financial resources to do this for the average 24/26 episodes series.
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wait I'm confused, so many different questions and understandings. Please someone correct me here in my understandings.

Sooo...
    * Madman will now release Anime as a V1 + Collectors box up until February, followed by individual Volumes of that series. Then after February Collectors boxes will no longer exist for future titles, it will only be Slimline/Fatpacks

Quote:
    Additionally, as of February, all new series titles which receiving volume-by-volume release will only be receiving Volume 1 and Limited Collector’s Box releases and will no longer receive a collector’s box when released as a complete set. Instead these products will go straight into a fatpack / slimpack style slim package when collected.

* Does the above quote link specifically to those title out now ie Bleach and Code Geass R2. For example:Code Geass R2, once fully released will go straight to Fatpack, and will never be released as a Collection

* There are two posts that contradict themselves regarding Collectors boxes. What's the go with collectors boxes?
    Sly wrote:
    Additionally, as of February, all new series titles which receiving volume-by-volume release will only be receiving Volume 1 and Limited Collector’s Box releases and will no longer receive a collector’s box when released as a complete set.
    And
    Sly wrote:
    There will not be ANY sort of boxsets for serie's starting from February in a hard box, ever.

The main areas I'm lost is what's happening in February to Collectors boxes. I don't care about the OFLC logo, I don't really notice things like that seeing as they're everywhere.

* And one last question what's happening with Claymore, you mentioned something Sly but I didn't understand.

I know this is annoying but any clarification will help. Thanks. Confused
darktruth90
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What Sly means is that current series that are still being released volume by volume will still be released as a collector's hard boxset full collection if there is still remaining stock of its V1 + box release. E.g. Code Geass, Bleach etc

Series that are not released until February 2009 and after will first be sold as a V1 + limited box and once all volumes are released, it will go straight to fatpack/slimpack for its full collection. No hard boxsets. E.g. Claymore.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah basically any yet to be finished shows will get limited box collection run, after that feb deadline it'll be straight to fatpack once collection time comes, with the exception of Bleach and Code Geass R2 as to keep it the same.

Methinks Bleach will be the only one after that deadline that will get box collections after a full season is done that you will see (that is after CG R2 is done and dusted) as it is a rather long show

darktruth90 wrote:

Yes it sucks for box lovers but what can you do? Just wondering if the American companies will eventually follow this plan as well (unless they already have).

American companies have been doing this for a while, thinpacking their series after an individual release, also older series are getting the thinpack treatment as well.

What really sucks is that not all series get a Vol 1 (or whatever volume they put the box with now) + box release so you either have loose individuals or get the thinpack.
The difference as well is that they're more likely to strip any extras from the discs originally and even drop the disc count, so you really are getting screwed over comparatively compared to here where as all discs and such are intact.

That said for the larger disc count releases the thinpack boxes are of the sturdier artbox material and they're generally as big as a 3-4 disc boxset which in a way is a minor win. Though i hunt down the individuals as much as possible.
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this is great news! Finally, I'll know exactly which way to collect a certain series - if I want the box, I know I HAVE TO purchase each volume individually. If I don't mind having it in a fatpack, I know I don't have to wait as long as the previous system.

As for the OFLC labels - the couple of collections I currently have with ratings logos (Last Exile is one) aren't all that bad. Hey, I'm an anime fan as well, so that means I love the artwork as much as the next guy, but it's never put me off before so I don't see why it should now. There's obviously some stipulation that means Madman can't just bellyband it rather than having to print directly, but hey, I'd still prefer my boxes to fatpacks.

Sly - Just to clarify, the Old Style release flow chart is still in effect until Feb 2009, then it switches to the New Style; so does that mean that series such as Death Note or Beck will still receive a 'strictly limited' run of complete collection boxsets? They're probably the only two I was really waiting for complete boxset collections of...
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind clarification as to what release Hell Girl & XXXHolic will be getting. By the above I would assume they will get a 'limited' run of the boxset, but as there's no date for a collection release yet and won't be before Feb, I'm wondering whether I should start buying the individual dvds.
All the ghosts that broke my heart!
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
To clarify, only NEW I'll say that again NEW series' starting from February will be getting the straight to fatpack collection after volume release pattern.

ALL exisiting unfinished and yet to be collected collections will receieve a limited collector's box run, ONLY if there are enough boxes left over to do this.

EG - Death Note, xxxholic, Tsubasa Season 2, Bleach, etc.
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
Fine with me. More shelf space... if I want to look at artwork I'd buy artbooks. Better quality than you'll ever get on the spine of a box...

I agree with what Waffles said.

I couldn't give two hoots if the OLFC logo is on the box, all I care about is what plays on my TV. I would've preferred fatpacks from day one just to save on shelf space (ie I have none left now due to the collectors boxes I have amassed over the last 8 years), but I'm impatient so I'd rather get a series disc by disc instead of waiting for a full collection release.

I don't see what the big fuss is about - as long as we still get anime that we want and enjoy, then who cares if it comes in a cardboard box or not.
Dragon Flame
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Changes to Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line and V1 w/box Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

...as of February, all new series titles which receiving volume-by-volume release will only be receiving Volume 1 and Limited Collector’s Box releases...

Sly does Madman have a figure in mind for 'limited', or will it depend on the series?

Sleepless Beauty wrote:
Can't you at least put the classification on the bottom of the box?

Is it possible to do this, as it would mean the art work is not spoiled?

From Ulysses, by Lord Alfred Tennyson.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then you would have to lay the box flat to display the rating.

The rating is more for at a retail level to inform the buyer of it and you have to have it in an obvious, easily seen place unfortunately.

Limited will be a set figure i would gather, more so than it is now to reduce the amount of potential leftovers.
Dragon Flame
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
Limited will be a set figure i would gather, more so than it is now to reduce the amount of potential leftovers.

Yes, but what will that figure be? 2000? 3000?

From Ulysses, by Lord Alfred Tennyson.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
more 1000 i would think, if not less.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Changes to Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line and V1 w/box Reply with quote
Dragon Flame wrote:
[..]

Is it possible to do this, as it would mean the art work is not spoiled?

Limited = whatever we have on hand, could be 1000, could be 200. Could be none at all. But where possible we will always try to put out a collector's box first with the stock we have on hand before going to fatpack, but as I said, it's not guaranteed.

Regarding the rating on the bottom of the box - Not possible. OFLC standards dictate that the ratings need to be on the "front", spine and "back" of the box. If it's on the bottom, consumers cannot see it when it is displayed on the shelf.
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Changes to Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line and V1 w/box Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
[..]Regarding the rating on the bottom of the box - Not possible. OFLC standards dictate that the ratings need to be on the "front", spine and "back" of the box. If it's on the bottom, consumers cannot see it when it is displayed on the shelf.

To be honest I don't care too much about any of this ... so long ass anime is still being released that's my main concern so if this is best for MM to stay in business then no issue.

However, just an idle thought. If a fatpack/slimpack has a reversible cover, are you required to print the OFLC logo on that as well? Seeing as technically at retail it's none of the above, being just the inside. This might be a way to satisfy those people who are seriously put out by the whole logo issue...
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reversible covers are ususally clean and any logos are either removed or made less prominent, for example, take a look at the chobits fatpack i posted up in the october sale thread.

There needs to be at least one side with all the proper stuff within regular guidelines for retail level. The other side can be however you choose really.

Majin Cell wrote:

I don't see what the big fuss is about - as long as we still get anime that we want and enjoy, then who cares if it comes in a cardboard box or not.

There are those that do care what it looks like as well, it doesn't change the way the show is but, there are those that do like the asthetic value of a collector box. If people didn't care about what the packaging look like we may as well would have it all on blank white labelled discs in clear cases with just the name on it.

What it comes in is a fairly big factor for me, obviously more than others of course, though i'm always a sucker for collector packaging and such.
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I think I get it now. Again correct me if I'm wrong.

After February there will still be Collectors boxes (for Volume 1) for future series, but once the series is fully released it will go straight to Fatpack/Slimline, and never go to Boxset Collections, with the exceptions for Bleach and CG R2. Hence making 'Collectors boxes' now, 'Limited Collectors Boxes'

Makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification people.

Very Happy
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:

Ditto. All my boxes are hiding behind boxes which are hiding behind boxes, so I dont really get to see them anyway.
Sephiroth_FF
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
How long will it be before the individual volumes get discontinued AFTER the fatpack release? I hope at least they stay around longer then it'll give me time to get them. And again, any price drop in individual volumes?
Zhabroah
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Artbox collectors have been well and truly been pwnd hard.

Slykura wrote:

So if you like your artboxes for series (which I do) you’ve got to grab any and all new series as a monthly release. Anyone who loves their artboxes but instead would wait for the complete collection for series that they had just some interest in but not enough to pick it up monthly have well and truly been killed. For myself I’d only ever pick up the month by month release of a series if it was and series I loved and/or had limited collectors stuff. Anything else I wanted to see I didn’t really mind just waiting for the complete collection release in its artbox but now…

Sure, back when it was announced that collections were being converted to fatpacks after a while I was ‘Well at least I can grab what I want before that happens to it’ but now we don’t even get that option. Any title you may possibly want at the time or wouldn’t mind in the future with the artbox for your collection you now have to pick up monthly which not only cut our choices but also means that now if you want the artbox for a new series you end up paying a massive premium. A six disc series, V1 + artbox at $34.95 with five more volumes at $29.95, makes for $184.97 whilst the six disc fatpack collection would be what, $99.95 to $119.95? A $65.02 to $85.02 premium paid for just having your artbox for any new series seems ridiculous.

For any ongoing series at the moment the artbox collector should be happy to hear that those series will still see a limited release of the series in an artbox collection. Unfortunately the term limited depends on how much stock is leftover after the series completes which means there is no actual guarantee that those ongoing series will actually see an artbox collection released. Oh so too bad, looks like if you want to be guaranteed your artbox collection for any ongoing series at the moment you may have to go and buy the individual volumes. While we’re at it, too bad that some series aren’t even seeing individual releases and going straight to fatpack complete collections or half series fatpack releases.

If the premium you’re paying just so you can have your artbox for your collection isn’t enough to discourage those avid artbox collectors then we go and kill one of the main reasons why people want them. Lets go ahead and tarnish (could have been a far harsher word) the art of the artbox by plastering the rating on the artbox directly. I know it may be required to comply with the classification standards but then why can the bellyband solution be used for ongoing series’ but not new series? And if the rating needs to be on the ‘front’, spine, and ‘back’ of the box does that mean every side of the artbox itself with have the rating on it?! That would absolutely kill the aesthetics that those artbox collectors enjoy.

It seems that everything about this announcement, and Madman’s trend since the announcement of fatpacks, is aimed at trying to make people stop wanting artboxes.
Sephiroth_FF
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zhabroah wrote:
It seems that everything about this announcement, and Madman’s trend since the announcement of fatpacks, is aimed at trying to make people stop wanting artboxes.

IMO, it seems like they're trying to make us want the artboxes even more. They know how crazy anime fans can be and they know that we'll be willing to pay for individual releases and that equals big bucks in MM's pockets.

With the size of the company and the amount they've released, I'm sure MM already made very tidy profits. It's not like they're in danger of going bankrupt.
Jaden1
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm more interested in the PRICING!! If Boxes are $79-99 (or more) then Fatpacks/Slimpacks should be somewhere between $39-59 AT THE MAXIMUM!! (if we are to compare them to TV series sets)
While I realise that Madman haven't got the "regular" discount cycle that major Studios manage with their releases, it would be nice to see a "discount" appear every 6-12 months for a certain period.
(Every three months seems to be the current cycle for TV series.. Stargate retail is $79.99, currently $44.95.. back up to retail at end of the month for 3-6 months, then back down again)
Using fatpacks/slimpacks should be CHEAPER than having to produce artboxes as there is less printing involved. Therefore the entire thing should be cheaper to produce. Unless Madman seek to increase their profit margin by selling at the same price.
I for one am a proud member of the FAP and look forward to FINALLY buying more anime than I currently do, as long as prices fall appropriatlly.. Smile
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sephiroth_FF wrote:
How long will it be before the individual volumes get discontinued AFTER the fatpack release? I hope at least they stay around longer then it'll give me time to get them. And again, any price drop in individual volumes?

I don't think it will all go that way, if it does, the US would be doing it first for all of their releases. Though the actual individual releases may end up being more of the bigger/popular series and the rest going half season/fatpack collections.

Though if that day ever comes i'd be sorely dissapointed and potentially buying less and just getting ones i am really desperate for. That or buying my own individual dvd cases and making my own boxes.
Jaden1
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
[..]

Though if that day ever comes i'd be sorely dissapointed and potentially buying less and just getting ones i am really desperate for. That or buying my own individual dvd cases and making my own boxes.

Yeah.. I foresee a sudden increase of covers appearing on those sites that have covers for people to download.. Which is a real shame.. Sad
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool, so now I can get series sooner.
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jaden1 wrote:
I'm more interested in the PRICING!! If Boxes are $79-99 (or more) then Fatpacks/Slimpacks should be somewhere between $39-59 AT THE MAXIMUM!! (if we are to compare them to TV series sets)
While I realise that Madman haven't got the "regular" discount cycle that major Studios manage with their releases, it would be nice to see a "discount" appear every 6-12 months for a certain period.

Madman still need to recover the costs of licensing and producing DVD releases of anime titles. The costs of licensing anime titles can be higher, and have a more limited market. TV series aren't a valid comparison, since they are sold to TV networks and sales from DVD releases are usually a bonus.

Initial fatpacks of anime collections, were released several years, after the single volumes. The amount of time that had passed, was the reason why a discount could be provided for the fatpacks.

Jaden1 wrote:
Using fatpacks/slimpacks should be CHEAPER than having to produce artboxes as there is less printing involved. Therefore the entire thing should be cheaper to produce. Unless Madman seek to increase their profit margin by selling at the same price.

Yes, but the actual difference in the price of packaging wouldn't be that high. So only a small difference ($5-10) in price could realistically be offered, if Madman wanted to pass along their savings.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, what exactly was wrong with doing the ratings on a cardboard collar like in previous releases, so that the rating is displayed at the appropriate proportions/locations?
Blazemanau
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i got a questions will there be like con exclusives sets like in box collections ie cgR2 and so forth cos i want have both seasons as boxes and not one as a fatpack so just curious if you might have them as con excluisives
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blazemanau wrote:
i got a questions will there be like con exclusives sets like in box collections ie cgR2 and so forth cos i want have both seasons as boxes and not one as a fatpack so just curious if you might have them as con excluisives

Please read my statement clearly and carefully. Your answers are already answered.

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: