Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Changes to Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line and V1 w/box

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Changes to Anime DVD Collections, Slim-line and V1 w/box
Author
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've read the above statements, but am still curious as to what happened with .Hack/Roots? Were there no boxes left to offer that as a boxed collection?
mrgazpacho
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inniss 1428 wrote:
So, what exactly was wrong with doing the ratings on a cardboard collar like in previous releases, so that the rating is displayed at the appropriate proportions/locations?

Technically, it was illegal.

Read Sly's post above about the requirement to print the markings on the front, back and spine of the container.

MM probably pleaded with the OFLC to grant temporary exemptions while they geared up to print "future" boxes properly.
Dragon.vs.Phoenix
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have a question, there is going to be a $5 off v1boxsets right which is fare

but why may i ask are the fatpack be sold for the same price as a collectors boxset?

and you say that all collection releases after feb 2009 will be fatpacks but i just looked on my wish list and gantz , gilgamesh and count of monte cristo has changed to fatpack, and does this mean that the back orders i have been waiting weeks for are now going to be sent me as fatpack
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
All current boxes that are out of stock are being restocked as fatpacks
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dragon.vs.Phoenix wrote:
i have a question, there is going to be a $5 off v1boxsets right which is fare

but why may i ask are the fatpack be sold for the same price as a collectors boxset?

and you say that all collection releases after feb 2009 will be fatpacks but i just looked on my wish list and gantz , gilgamesh and count of monte cristo has changed to fatpack, and does this mean that the back orders i have been waiting weeks for are now going to be sent me as fatpack

Because we have just started a new permanent price reduction, so prices have been lowered from what they originally were.

Titles such as Evangelion, and Fullmetal Alchemist are premium titles and as such have a premium price tag. Keep in mind the original prices of these were $119.95.

I didn't say all collections, ALL NEW SERIES' starting after Feb 2009 will go straight to a fatpack on it's release as a collection. The ones you have quote have already received a boxset treatment previously and are in a transition phase to fatpacks and have been for quite some time. So yes, it is highly likely the titles you mentioned will be fatpacks.
Dragon.vs.Phoenix
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

then why may i ask has no one contacted to tell me that i will not be receiving the goods that i ordered
Blaze
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will all of the february slimpacks and fatpacks be in the region 1 format or will Madman have the region 4 option as well? I would understand if Madman does choose to issue its Slimpacks/Fatpacks in R1 as it will reduce production costs and release dates.
Awex
Shana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blaze wrote:
Will all of the february slimpacks and fatpacks be in the region 1 format or will Madman have the region 4 option as well? I would understand if Madman does choose to issue its Slimpacks/Fatpacks in R1 as it will reduce production costs and release dates.

EEeeer... What?
All of Madman's DVDs are R4... why would they change now?
Sephiroth_FF
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura, will there be a price drop in individual volumes?
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt it, would be nice though. Could almost make up for the removal of complete collections... almost. Confused
All the ghosts that broke my heart!
Sephiroth_FF
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I noticed that there was a price drop about a year ago, which made individuals $25 each. But it seems like that was only on the older titles and most of the newer titles are back to $30.

If they were $20 then I would be able to handle this.
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sephiroth_FF wrote:
If they were $20 then I would be able to handle this.

Yeah 6 x $20 isnt' that bad, however I still doubt we're going to get that kind of generosity.

Slykura wrote:
ALL exisiting unfinished and yet to be collected collections will receieve a limited collector's box run, ONLY if there are enough boxes left over to do this.

So whats the go with Mushishi and Le Chevalier D'eon then? They are both listed as fatpack collections and yet both series still have the individuals dvds available and yet I'm not seeing a boxset release for Jan 14th.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will volumes get dropped in price? Maybe, but it depends on the series. For the most part we will be keeping the indvidual volumes at the prices they are unless there is a need to discount them.

Regarding some sets that are going straight to fatpack now, just remember this. If ANY of the volumes go out of stock or ANY of the volumes run out of slicks or a booklet, and it's close to the time that we're releasing a boxset, it will go to a fatpack. Essentially when we run out of an asset for a title it won't get reprinted if its close to a boxset release. There was probably a volume of .hack//roots / Mushishi / Chevalier that had this problem. It's not JUSt the V1 and box that needs to be out of stock for it to not get a boxset release but go straight to a fatpack.

The individual volumes are still available and if you want them i suggest hunting them down as soon as possible.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me, it means buying vol 1 with box from MM or importing to get their complete series boxsets.

I've been buying less MM titles over the last few years, so it doesn't affect me that much. Having to buy all the individual R1 Eureka Seven dvd's because of the crap MM box will effect me. Sad

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sephiroth_FF wrote:
[..]
Is this about the money?

Well...since Madman is a For-profit company, I'd say that's a rather large part of the consideration, yes.
SethM wrote:
I think this is great news! Finally, I'll know exactly which way to collect a certain series - if I want the box, I know I HAVE TO purchase each volume individually. If I don't mind having it in a fatpack, I know I don't have to wait as long as the previous system.

Very true. Once these initial questions are answered and initial confusions are overcome (and I suspect this is why MM are giving people so much notice about this) this system will be far more streamlined and much easier for people to understand.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
EDIT: damn, the y-axis label is missing. Australian CPI.

Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some anime retailers are well aware of how much this affects collectors and I think we will find that the implementation of various ideas and sales to help people get the complete box sets will occur at certain times.

When I was on my big spending spree last month I was told by my retailer to not get myself into too much financial strife because history has shown that there is always another big sale in the future!

Obviously this has distressed some people more than others but I think Madman do the best they can for us whilst keeping themselves a profitable company.
Sephiroth_FF
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Will volumes get dropped in price? Maybe, but it depends on the series. For the most part we will be keeping the indvidual volumes at the prices they are unless there is a need to discount them.

Roughly how long after the fatpack is released will the individual volumes be available? I don't like what is happening but I can find ways around it with the help of sales and/or price drops but also if I have plenty of time to buy what I need.
Dragon.vs.Phoenix
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
this might sound silly but i think if like a series enough ( and it is a fatpack) i might get out some photo paper and some card and make the art box myself could be fun
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CRAP!! this means im only ever going to have one boxset that is actually in a box!! :cry:
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sephiroth_FF wrote:

Roughly how long after the fatpack is released will the individual volumes be available? I don't like what is happening but I can find ways around it with the help of sales and/or price drops but also if I have plenty of time to buy what I need.

Good question, although I think I know what Sly's answer will be - 'it depends on the series'. Which is fair enough. If a series sells extremely well during its normal box + individual vol run, then there won't be anything left for sales. It'd be great if Madman could shave even a dollar or two of the RRP of indie volumes. Guess it all depends on how much that would bite into the profit margin. Better to be a viable business that barely getting by and maybe even folding just to keep crazy anime fans happy.

I think Madman have made it pretty clear how to buy - If you want the box, the safest way to ensure you'll get it is by buying each vol as it's released. There'll be no other way to guarantee you'll complete the collection otherwise. You'll just be gambling on the chance that the indie volumes will turn up during a sale. Just have to decide if that's a chance you want to take, or have the assurance that even though it might have cost a more, at least you're not stressing about holes in your collection (as well as having seen the complete series before a lot of other fans who'll wait for the fatpack). I don't buy a lot of boxsets anyway, so I'm happy enough collecting per volume. This is only really a problem for those who think it's necessary to buy every single title going in order to feel like a true otaku.

I know there's a couple of people here who will claim this is Evil Madman's attempt to screw us all over and make more money, but what Madman are doing makes total sense from a business perspective. It really does. And at the very least, we'll know who the true otakus are when they post pictures of collections choc-full of post-Feb boxsets Wink
want-san
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm glad to see the box sets gone once and for all.
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SethM wrote:
This is only really a problem for those who think it's necessary to buy every single title going in order to feel like a true otaku.

And how many people on here really do that? Rolling Eyes

SethM wrote:
And at the very least, we'll know who the true otakus are when they post pictures of collections choc-full of post-Feb boxsets.

All the boxsets that I was unhappy about missing out on I picked up as the individuals during the sale yesterday, so I won't be collecting any boxsets in the near future as I have everything I need. Besides MM doesn't seem to have alot going for the next 6months, in terms of releases, anyway. The only box thats affected, post Feb, so far is Claymore.

And I think you're wrong. There really aren't that many people on here who still collect the boxsets and with these changes, people who half-heartedly collect them will probably end up just buying fatpacks. And in regards to myself, and I think I can safely add Sephiroth here too, I don't collect boxsets so I can post them and brag about how much more money I spent than fatpack buyers... I buy them because thats what I like to collect.

SethM wrote:
I know there's a couple of people here who will claim this is Evil Madman's attempt to screw us all over and make more money, but what Madman are doing makes total sense from a business perspective. It really does.

Do you really think that those people don't already know this? Laughing
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sleepless Beauty wrote:

And how many people on here really do that? Rolling Eyes

First off, I think you've taken my entire post a little too seriously. Obviously I was exaggerating and poking a bit of fun at the crazy otakus who inhabit anime fandom. You just have to look at how much some people are spending during these last few sales, then look at the photos people post of their collections to conclude that some fans will buy anything and everything anime related. I often find myself wondering if these people genuinely love all the series and paraphernalia they buy, or whether they buy them because they feel they're 'supposed' to like a certain title.

Sleepless Beauty wrote:

All the boxsets that I was unhappy about missing out on I picked up as the individuals during the sale yesterday, so I won't be collecting any boxsets in the near future as I have everything I need. Besides MM doesn't seem to have alot going for the next 6months, in terms of releases, anyway. The only box thats affected, post Feb, so far is Claymore.

Firstly, my comment about telling who the real otakus are was made purely in jest - I don't for one minute believe that a genuine fan is measured only by the size of his or her collection. I'd consider myself a real fan, but I only own 16 boxsets and a few movies. I also got everything I wanted during the October sale, so I didn't order anything during the 50% sale. At least the light release schedule might help to make the transition to fatpacks a little easier.

Sleepless Beauty wrote:

And I think you're wrong. There really aren't that many people on here who still collect the boxsets and with these changes, people who half-heartedly collect them will probably end up just buying fatpacks.

All true, but I don't see how this make wrong. I was basically saying the same thing - it'll mean fence sitters will have to decide whether they want a boxset or not. People will have to decide whether they want to 'collect' anime (in the sense that boxsets will now be more limited than before and hence collectible), or are happy to just watch anime. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that people will have to decide.

Sleepless Beauty wrote:

And in regards to myself, and I think I can safely add Sephiroth here too, I don't collect boxsets so I can post them and brag about how much more money I spent than fatpack buyers... I buy them because thats what I like to collect.

Good for you. I'm the same. In my opinion, boxsets are what makes collecting anime a bit special and different from normal TV series or films.

Basically, all I was saying - and this has been acknowledged on these boards and other places - is that anime fandom has a habit of taking things to extremes and I wouldn't be surprised if there comes a point where some people start to believe that only those with boxsets are true fans (yes, because they spent more money on them). There's already a belief, unconscious though it may be, that true fans have monstrous collections. Otherwise, what's the point of posting photos of collections if not to show them off? And why show them off if not to demonstrate that you are, somehow, more of a fan than someone with a small collection?
The Letter P
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only reason I like obese packs are because they're cheaper. So I guess my only real question is, will the fatty packs be sold at a discounted price (less than the usual $120 a 26 ep. box set goes for, I mean). 'Coz if they're not, this idea can suck goat janglies.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems that the fats will be sold at regular RRP or slightly cheaper ($100 max it seems), they still are trying to make money back on the licence so chances are, no D:

For me at least i'll have to pay closer attention to what get's released after february just so i can pick up the series i want in box form.

What can i say, i'm a sucker for the shiny Very Happy
jeff
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SethM wrote:
Basically, all I was saying - and this has been acknowledged on these boards and other places - is that anime fandom has a habit of taking things to extremes and I wouldn't be surprised if there comes a point where some people start to believe that only those with boxsets are true fans (yes, because they spent more money on them). There's already a belief, unconscious though it may be, that true fans have monstrous collections. Otherwise, what's the point of posting photos of collections if not to show them off? And why show them off if not to demonstrate that you are, somehow, more of a fan than someone with a small collection?

As a collector with a large collection & who has posted photos of my collection, do I post photos of my collection to show it off? Yes I do. Do I consider my collection to make me a bigger fan because of the size of my collection. NO I don't, I am just lucky that being an older collector with a well paying job enables me to spend money on things I like. And as for collecting for the sake of collecting, admittley I do have a backlog at the moment, but this is partially due to recently buying several secondhand & out of print series. I will watch everything & I have enjoyed 99% of my collection, the other 1% is down to the show not meeting my expectations.

As for the fatpack Vs boxset debate, oh well I tend to collect my anime when it is first released & this means singles & boxes until recently. Some of my latest R1 sets have comeout in thinpack 'boxes' & I appreciate the space saving.

R1 DVDs
Current totals DVDs = 3756, Figures = 430, Soundtrack CDs = 1466, Artbooks = 364.
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh for crying out loud! Stop taking it all so personal! I never named any names or pointed in fingers. What I was saying was just general observations. I never claimed that EVERYONE who has a large collection and posts photos must be a raving lunatic, just that anime fandom IN GENERAL seems to attach too much importance to having a big collection, much more than other popular subcultures seem to.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My shelf space is limited these days, so I see this as a good thing.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sleepless Beauty wrote:
[..]And in regards to myself, and I think I can safely add Sephiroth here too, I don't collect boxsets so I can post them and brag about how much more money I spent than fatpack buyers... I buy them because thats what I like to collect.

You can safely add me too in regards to this too! I don't think I've really spent much more financially anyway than what I would have if I had have bought the fatpacks rather than the boxsets, maybe just a bit more time in regards to hunting some of the ones I have wanted down.

SethM: You are most likely quite correct in that many people do take the collecting to an extreme, I know I do.
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SethM wrote:
You just have to look at how much some people are spending during these last few sales, then look at the photos people post of their collections to conclude that some fans will buy anything and everything anime related.

0_0 ... I don't have to look, I am one of those people. I think you should be more careful before concluding that just because people have bought a whole lot at once, that they're just buying because they can.

Before the sales in the last few months, apart from a few anime related teacups, I had bought nothing to do with anime all year, except for the Haruhi boxset so I could get the redemption offer. Many of the titles I have recently purchased I've been waiting forever to obtain. And like Jeff said, alot of titles have gone out of print recently, so when all of these things have happened at once, its only natural that some people would have alot to purchase.

SethM wrote:
Otherwise, what's the point of posting photos of collections if not to show them off? And why show them off if not to demonstrate that you are, somehow, more of a fan than someone with a small collection?

I like looking at other peoples collections, if alot of the same people have a series that I don't, it makes me think that anime might be worth checking out. And if their collection is bigger/smaller than mine, it doesn't bother me, as long as we both like anime.

Travku wrote:
You can safely add me too in regards to this too!

How could I have forgotten you, consider yourself added! Smile
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you see a lot of the same names coming up, there's not many conclusions you can come to though. And when you read about people maxing out their credit cards and getting advances on their pay just to buy cartoons, then I think you've got a problem. Now, let me make it PERFECTLY CLEAR that I AM NOT criticising those people directly, only the (sub)culture that tends to put these people on something of a pedestal, and as such subconsciously encourages the rest of us to act in the same way. Since it is 'people' who make a culture work, and nameless, faceless 'people' whom I was criticising, I'd ask again that my comments not be taken personally. Obviously, I can't comment on everyone's individual situations and can't fully know why someone would/does spend whatever sums of money they want on anime and related products.

I'll admit, I spent $500 during Madgate. But I was new to anime at the time and had just happened to have saved that money, so the coincidence was nice. Like I said earlier, I only have 16 boxsets, so I've hardly added to what I bought then. At the time I bought Otogi Zoshi because it looked cool and was cheap. But I only bought the one volume to test. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it wise to buy a whole bunch of series I'd never even seen in the hopes they're gonna be cool.

As for sharing what we've bought - I've got no problem with that, and yes, this is the place for it. What I have a problem with is the tendency for this simple act of sharing to become something of a contest of one-upmanship, of trying to outdo the last person.

When I see pictures of people's collections and the same series crops up, part of me thinks it might be worth checking out, so yes I agree with you there, but the other part of me wonders if its just hype and how many of those people actually like that series. Because when I check it out for myself, 9 times out of 10 the series is rubbish and hardly worth all the hype.

Maybe I just see things a bit differently to you all, but while I love my anime, I think there's some attitude problems that have somehow become imbedded in fan culture.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Though it's not just restricted to the whole anime/manga subculture either. Applies to a lot of other hobbies and such too.
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I won't deny that. You get your crazy fans with anything. But anime subculture strikes me differently than others I've been involved with over the years. For example, I listen to hardcore (electronic/techno, not metal) so you might think that a music style like that might encourage a violent or combative attitude amongst fans, but the total opposite is true. It's all about unity and that kind of thing. There's no reason for anime fans to be as crazy as they are, but they are. Any ideas why? (serious question).
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe its just such a niche area.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
want-san wrote:
I'm glad to see the box sets gone once and for all.

That really hurts me.

Goes off to cry

Just means that I import more or buy vol 1 with box unless I decide to import it that way. With MM giving up on releasing the finished series as a boxset, unless there's sufficient individual copies of the dvd's, it'll just decrease further the amount of dvd's I buy from MM.

As for the whole collection debate. The photos of the collections and the listed titles can sometimes be an ego trip for members. Other times, it's a constant reminder of how much of our hard earned cash, we've spent on this addiction. And with that thought, I want to cry sometimes.

cries at the thought, that all the money spent on anime/manga etc could've paid for a 6 month overseas holiday. Sad

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SethM wrote:
There's no reason for anime fans to be as crazy as they are, but they are. Any ideas why? (serious question).

Your question is too broad in its scope, as not all anime fans are 'crazy'. Obviously thats not what you meant, but incidentally, in your opinion, what are the prerequisites for a 'crazy' anime fan?
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
maybe its just such a niche area.

Just as niche as a lot of other subcultures I would've thought. Certainly bigger than the hardcore electronica subculture, I can tell you that much.

Sleepless Beauty wrote:
Your question is too broad in its scope, as not all anime fans are 'crazy'. Obviously thats not what you meant, but incidentally, in your opinion, what are the prerequisites for a 'crazy' anime fan?

I think it would be naive to posit some kind of checklist that you could tick off and say 'yes, this person is a certified crazy fan'. I guess I'm talking more about a mentality or attitude towards the acts of collecting and demonstrating your passion. I think I've said earlier that the things like sharing what you've ordered and other anime fandom related activities (cosplay, etc) aren't inherently bad activities, that is, off themselves they can't bring about a certain attitude. But they are activities whose intentions can be misappropriated. For example, you only ever see pictures and reports about the best cosplay outfits. No one wants to know about the rubbish ones (maybe with good reason, maybe not). This tends to bring out a competitive mindset - mine is better than yours.

Similarly, even on these boards there can be a fairly combative attitude that's different to other message boards. I haven't quite been able to put my finger on what it is exactly, but it has been noted around here before.

Sorry to return to my trusty old hardcore example, but we never post lists of what we've bought or tallied up the totals or anything like that. The closest we get is a 'what are you listening to now?' kind of thread. That's to say, it's all about the music. There's an unconscious agreement that if it wasn't for the music we all wouldn't be posting on this particular board. Here, we have a 'what are you watching?' thread of course, but we have all these other things going on as well. Please don't take this out of context, but it almost feels, in comparison to other subcultures like I just mentioned, that we're not here so much for the anime as we are to compare ourselves to each other. Is it about the anime, or about posting pictures of collections, half of which probably haven't even watched yet? Is it about the manga, or about telling everyone how much you spent and how you plan on paying back your maxed-out credit card?

These are things I've honestly never encountered on other boards before. Take a look at the Empire Magazine forums - we have a Latest Purchase thread there, but no one ever bothers posting how much it cost or how much they saved. That, plus even during the biggest sales, no one is maxing out their credit cards or getting advances on pay just to buy movies. Doesn't advances on pay seem just a little crazy?

Wow, this got wildly off topic. Nice little debate though Wink
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SethM wrote:
Wow, this got wildly off topic. Nice little debate though

Your right, we have gone far too off topic. Its a pity that we can't have a thread based on this discussion, as it would probably only end up in petty squabbling. Do you mind if we continue this through pm? There's still quite abit I'd like to discuss.
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure, if you're up to it Wink Cool
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seth, after reading other post's they are giving their opinions of what they know to true of being a collector, whether you own 1, 50 or over 1,000 disc's you are still a collector..

people do list their collections on this forum, whether it be for pure gloating reasons or just to let other know what they own and what they have seen...

It's safe to say most people on this forum are anime and manga fans..
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:

Here's your cape, Captain Obvious Razz
Sephiroth_FF
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SethM wrote:
At least the light release schedule might help to make the transition to fatpacks a little easier.

How I wish this were true. However, many new releases from the last few months are already being fatpacked so I don't think I'll get a break for a while. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy too many new releases for a while but no such luck.

The Letter P wrote:
The only reason I like obese packs are because they're cheaper. So I guess my only real question is, will the fatty packs be sold at a discounted price (less than the usual $120 a 26 ep. box set goes for, I mean). 'Coz if they're not, this idea can suck goat janglies.

I know we've gotten some price drops in anime this year but the price drops seem to count for both the box sets and the fatpacks. MM said that the fatpacks will reduce costs. It looks like just for them and not the consumer because I've never seen a fatpack cheaper than a box set. That sort of defeats the whole idea of saving costs doesn't it?

jeff wrote:

As a collector with a large collection & who has posted photos of my collection, do I post photos of my collection to show it off? Yes I do.

I really enjoy looking at other people's collection so show it off all you want. It's really amazing to see how much people have collected.

Sleepless Beauty wrote:
except for the Haruhi boxset so I could get the redemption offer

What is this redemption offer you speak of?
BroKeN
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was where you buy each volume individually and you get a code or something from each one. Once you have all 4 codes you send it to Madman along with $10 and they send you a limited edition 2 DVD set that shows the original broadcast order. I happen to have it Smile. The fatpack also has the broadcast order so your not missing out on it.
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sephiroth_FF wrote:
[..]

What is this redemption offer you speak of?

It was rendered obselete when MM included the broadcast order DVD's in the complete collection, but basically if you wanted the 2-disc set that had the episodes in the order they were broadcast on TV in Japan you had to buy each of the 4 volumes separate and then send in each little card that came with them before date of x (+$10 I think it was) and MM would send out the broadcast dvd.

Of course, as I said, they included them in the complete collection anyway (which kind of irritated me because if I'd thought that was going to happen I'd've saved myself some cash and gotten the complete collection!)
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:
Seth, after reading other post's they are giving their opinions of what they know to true of being a collector, whether you own 1, 50 or over 1,000 disc's you are still a collector..

I don't think I've read anything quite so badly written in a long time.

I never said anything about the size of your collection determining how big a fan you are. In fact, I was saying the opposite. Obviously you haven't read what I've been saying, so I'll say it again - my point was that IMO there's a tendency in anime fandom to place too great an emphasis on the size of people's collections, and it subsequently becomes the yardstick for measuring how true a fan you are.

black_ops wrote:

people do list their collections on this forum, whether it be for pure gloating reasons or just to let other know what they own and what they have seen...

So what's your point?

black_ops wrote:

What ... huh? Yeh, I'll just second Speedfreak's reply on that one.

Sephiroth_FF wrote:

SethM wrote:

At least the light release schedule might help to make the transition to fatpacks a little easier.

How I wish this were true. However, many new releases from the last few months are already being fatpacked so I don't think I'll get a break for a while. I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy too many new releases for a while but no such luck.

I was thinking more in terms of it being easy for boxset collectors - a light release schedule would mean you'd have some time up your sleeve to grab those last few boxsets you wanted before they're fatpacked. Like you say, if want fatpacks, then you'll have a heavy release schedule coming up.
anime_queen
Li Syaoran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm starting to not mind the "slim packs" as they look somewhat better then the fatpacks.
I just wish fatpacks were done ages and ages ago so my collection doesn't look so odd lol...
I've been collecting the box-sets since MM started releasing anime onto DVD (ah...the old times hehe) and the fatpacks will now look out of place in my collection.

Would be cool if some fatpacks came in a really, pretty form like they did with the El Hazard box-set.
The cover art and the way it was put together made me think that fat packs wouldn't look so bad after all.

Sakaki
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My collection is starting to look strange too with most being box sets and a couple being fatpaks. I still prefer box sets over fatpaks anyday.
SethM
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd wouldn't mind fatpacks if they came in a slipcase or a slim version of the current box style that the fatpack could just slip into. Actually, that would look rather smart and fit in nicely on the shelf with standard boxsets, and still be extremely space saving.
Awex
Shana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SethM wrote:
I'd wouldn't mind fatpacks if they came in a slipcase or a slim version of the current box style that the fatpack could just slip into. Actually, that would look rather smart and fit in nicely on the shelf with standard boxsets, and still be extremely space saving.

Now this, this is a great idea.
Also slipcases for half season sets please?

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: