Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Code Geass on Blu-Ray?

Code Geass on Blu-Ray?
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Code Geass on Blu-Ray? Reply with quote
Apparently in Japan they're selling Code Geass on Blu-Ray, so I was wondering if we'd ever get it as well.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's $70-$100 per disc (with the current exchange rate), which probably only has 2 episodes on it. Gotta love the Japanese anime market!

I suppose if the series is well-received in the west then companies might consider it in the future.
d.v_3
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since i dont have any blu-ray titles yet i i would loveit if Code Geass could be on blu-ray (heck any Madman title on BR will do Smile )
razor053
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
would be awesome if madman started releasing anime in blu-ray, especially code geass
anime in HD brings water to my eyes, love it. heaps better than dvd.
but i dont see madman releasing blu-ray any time soon,
even though appleseed was supposed to be released on blu-ray aswell if i recall correctly
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wonder what the actual resolution on the Code Geass Blu-ray version is? As I've mentioned on another thread, not all Blu-ray releases are Full Hi-Def.
Conspiracy Complex C.
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd be interested in what the episode count per disc turned out to be on blu-ray, 24 ep series on two discs?
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not if it's high definition.

UncaBou, what are some of the non-full definition titles? Do you mean non-1080p video, or SD-sourced masters upscaled to HD?
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Conspiracy Complex C. wrote:
I'd be interested in what the episode count per disc turned out to be on blu-ray, 24 ep series on two discs?

If that was done, you wouldn't have Blu-ray/HD quality video. Just because there's more storage doesn't mean you can fit more episodes, as with HD video and audio, you have higher bitrates which in turn require more space to store.

You'd probably see a similar disc count as you would on DVD, maybe a bit less, as on a single layer Blu-ray it's about 2 1/2 hrs of movie time (give or take) but being production is still expensive compared to DVD, you'd be bound to see a similar, if not a slightly higher episode count per disc (though not by much, maybe an extra ep)
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Not if it's high definition.

UncaBou, what are some of the non-full definition titles? Do you mean non-1080p video, or SD-sourced masters upscaled to HD?

I'll report back on an actual title but the resolution specification is indicated on the Blu-ray label. I've observed quite a few are not 1920x1080p.
Upscaling from a lower resolution source then claiming it as Hi-Def, I'm certain would breach some aspect of Trade Practices or Fair Trading law.
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, what that actually means is taking an NTSC/PAL master, running it through an upscaler to 1080p, then putting the resulting video onto a Blu-ray disc, rather than using a superior film master. Technically, it is still 1080p, but it is inferior to a film-sourced 1080p. No TP/FT circumvention. I believe Firefly is in this category.

Just to make sure - you're talking about the title feature, correct? Not the extra features?
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes main feature. I haven't had time to check the shelves for an example yet.
I understand your technical point. I am certain TP/FT would have a problem with upscaling. There can be no question that an inferior source upscaled to 1080p then marketed as 1080p Hi-Def is misleading. I also expect the creators of the Blu-ray format would not be happy about it.
UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="The Tragic Man"]quote]

Sorry for the delay. Today I had a good look at the current crop of Blu-ray's at JB and to my surprise all the titles I checked were 1080p. This was not the case a few months ago I assure you.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: