Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Your Latest Music Purchases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Your Latest Music Purchases
Author
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
[..]

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to start avoiding records where this has been done to them, because it sounds really, really awful with my iPod headphones.

Is there a way I can tell if this has been done on a CD I'm looking at buying?
(IE. Is it listed anywhere on the CD usually? And if so - what would it say? )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think it would be listed on the record packaging - It is painfully apparent in the track production though.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
~:Sakura:~ wrote:
Is there a way I can tell if this has been done on a CD I'm looking at buying?

It's something you won't know about until you hear the album. The best you can do is check the internet to see whether or not an album you plan to buy has been mastered in this way.

The worst example of a recent album with the problem is probably Metallica's Death Magnetic, which is so bad you can actually hear the clipping at times. To give you an idea of how bad it is, the version of this album that was used in Guitar Hero has been ripped out of the game and distributed via the internet, as it used an older master that was not so badly compressed. There's a subtle irony in a band so opposed to the internet releasing an album where the only way to hear it properly is to download it.

Oasis' (What's The Story) Morning Glory is another example of an album with really hot production, although it's nowhere near as bad as more recent examples.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Martzy
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recieved Haggard - Tales Of Ithiria album for christmas. This is a great album if you like symphonic metal.
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought Muse's new album today.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isis have finally released Live V - Oceanic Live In London - The infamous live recording of the record Oceanic.

I hope JB Hi-Fi will get this in stock soon, as that will save me from having to ship it from the US.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do want.

Isis are a fantastic band.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I am a huge fan and I have always wanted to listen to this recording - I wonder why it has taken almost four years for it to be released?
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was given a Sanity gift voucher for $25 from my darling little sister and lovely brother-in-law (urg). That damn store is full of crap. Was seriously considering buying a Fleetwood Mac "Best Of" disc as there wasn't anything else I could find and I always loved "Tusk". However I did find a couple more discs; a David Bowie compilation, which although did have a lot of the 1970's stuff and most importantly "Ashes to Ashes", was weighted down with his 1980's stuff which I never enjoyed. So I settled for this;

Always have been intrigued by the band especially after seeing the recent self titled documentary. Great thing is that it has all of the BBC sessions on the second disc including "She's Lost Control" from a TV show called Something Else. It's a fantastic version which makes the original studio recording look lethargic. Great songs. The band at times feels like it's going to fall apart any moment in a mess of sound. Why the flap are the CDs at Sanity so bloody expensive?

Also received this in the mail today;

This is just the same JAMMs UK compilation called "Shag Times" with the horrible Gary Glitter vocal remix of "Doctorin' the Tardis" stuck on at the end, sans the second half which was full of crappy remixes and for about $60 less than the current asking price of "Shag Times". So most of all the important early KLF/JAMMs recordings are here on the one disc. So at this point there like a Scottish Beastie Boys. Yeah, others were probably ahead of them in terms of UK house and sampling like Beatmasters, Coldcut and Bomb the Bass, but the songs are dumb fun. Like mixing "The Ride of the Valkyries" and "Foxy Lady" together or their first single which has got samples from The Beatles, MC5 and Samantha Fox. Also I think even though "Doctorin' the Tardis" is supposedly a dumb novelty single (though probably the best ever novelty single made), it seems more like the commercial work they produced after it rather than what came before it. Seems like the catalyst for what was to come.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Why the flap are the CDs at Sanity so bloody expensive?

I don't know but it couldn't possibly be justified other than the fact that they want to cheat people out of their money.

I am currently downloading No Love Can Save Me by The Carrier.
Martzy
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Picked up a few cd's at JB HiFi Geelong yesterday

Municipal Waste - Hazardous Mutation
Municipal Waste - Waste 'Em All
Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt
King Diamond - The Spider's Lullabye
King Diamond - The Graveyard
Evile - Infected Nations
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got some more albums recently - some from iTunes others in hard copy. I've give a brief synopsis of what I think though I haven't either fully downloaded or properly listened to them all.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - Very good, but hardly as essential as it was made out to be.
Timbaland - Shock Value II - A singles album. Some good songs, some rubbish ones but mostly average ones.
Midnight Juggernauts - Dystopia - One of the albums that I haven't listened to properly yet. Still, it's quite good from what I've heard so far.
Jay-Z - American Gangster - So far my favourite Jay-Z album eclipsing even The Blueprint. Still need to get some more of Jigga's older stuff though.
Rihanna - Good Girl Gone Bad Reloaded - Decent enough. Singles are the obvious highlights and quite decent songs but the rest falls a little flat. Still, Rihanna is quite a cool vocalist so they seem better than they probably are.
Daft Punk - Discovery - If you need an explanation of why this is awesome then there is something quite clearly wrong with you.
Dizzee Rascal - Maths + English & Tongue 'n' Cheek - Put these together because they're quite similar. Some brilliant songs (Bonkers, Holiday, Flex) while the rest are also quite good to awesome as well.
Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon: The End Of Days (Deluxe Edition) - Brilliant. Easily one of the best albums I've heard all year. Day'n'Nite is getting a fair flogging on the old iPod too.

The below are albums that are currently downloading on iTunes (dial-ups a aggressive go-getter) so I can only give impressions of the songs I've currently heard.

Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3 (Deluxe Edition) - Seems quite good. Modern but keeping with Jigga's more traditional roots in some songs. A bit too modern for my liking but some songs are pretty great.
Daft Punk - Alive 2007 (Deluxe Edition - No explanation is needed. Only complaint is I bought this on iTunes but saw it at JB for $10 a few days afterwards.
Bowie
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
only a couple of new things today, I restrained myself in light of a huge (relatively) order I'm going to do to get many less available CDs next month sometime.
Rum, sodomy & the lash - The Pogues
Dream Police - Cheap Trick
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I downloaded The '59 Sound by The Gaslight Anthem today. It's a great record - I thought I had this already but I must have deleted it inadvertently.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Now For A Feast", 2003 re-issue by Pop Will Eat Itself. I had the original album which was a compilation of their first two EPs plus a bunch of B-sides, singles. As I wanted to complete my PWEI collection, it is far more easier to re-buy this compilation (which is already out of print) than to buy all of the 12" singles and the "Def Con One" CD single which is about $30 alone. Lots of good stuff I previously didn't have from the "Sweet Sweet Pie" and "Love Missile F1-11" singles/EPs.

I think the version of "There is No Love Between Us" on here is 12" mix which sounds like a bad outtake with the odd samples. The original version of "Def Con One" is great to have. Not as beefed up as the Flood remix on the "This is the Day..." LP, but it's fun. Annoyingly you still have to own the "There is No Love Between Us" CD single reissue from 1991 to have the (majority) of the rest of their pre major label material (which I bought around 1991 or 1992 anyway). Still waiting on the reissue of “Box Frenzy” to come. I’ll have just about everything then.
Shawaazu
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got these yesterday Smile

Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I downloaded Sleepwalkers by Dead Swans a few days ago and I did not know what to think at first.

It has really grown on me - I love the discordant guitars and the frantic vocals.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
All of my KLF related CD singles came via various European eBay sellers;
KLF - "What Time Is Love? (Live at Trancentral)"
KLF - "3 a.m. Eternal (Live at the S.S.L.)"
KLF - 1991 "Last Train to Trancentral (Live from the Lost Continent)"
KLF - "America: What Time Is Love?"
KLF - "Justified and Ancient (Stand by The JAMs)"
2K - "***K the Millennium"

So I'm missing the JAMs "It's Grim Up North", but I'll probably get that soon. Also out on the hunt for the original trance version of "3 a.m. Eternal" which is on a compilation from the early 1990's (the other two trance trilogy songs are on the corresponding Stadium House Trilogy CD singles). Think all up it cost me less than $5 per single, which is pretty amazing as they deleted their entire back catalogue in a fit of insanity in 1992. "***K the Millennium", their 1997 CD single/23 minute reunion thing is fantastic as they've got this band called Acid Brass doing a brass band version of the original trance "What Time Is Love?".
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've actually seen the video for Grim Up North. Rage played it late one night.

Great song.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought Dream Theatre's album - Images and Worlds cd today. Found it long winded and it put me to sleep.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A few more CDs came today that I bought before Christmas. The 2003 reissue of "Box Frenzy" by Pop Will Eat Itself. Truly an awful album really, clearly the worst out of their five studio LPs ("Dos Dedos Mis Amigos" is their best overall). Between the F1-11 Single and Def Con One they were trying to find themselves as a post pop punk band into uh, whatever you'd describe PWEI at the time. I do like about half the album, the rest is pretty sucky. Once "Def Con One" arrived (and Dr Nightmare), they were PWEI.

I also got PWEI's "The Radio 1 Sessions 1986 - 87" which is more like an EP than an album as it has only 9 tracks and clocks in at less than 25 minutes. Mostly some really good versions of their songs plus three originals which they never recorded in a studio proper. Two are good ("Ha Ha Empty Head" is exeptional) and the last one is a little sucky. Over all really good grebo era PWEI. Only have a couple more CD singles to get and I think have most of catalogue (also need to chase down some non-album compilation tracks).
Martzy
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yesterday i picked up from Jb

King Diamond - House Of God
King Diamond - Voodoo
Norbie
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Vinyl Reply with quote
I've decided to start a vinyl collection. Now... i'm not one of those people who believes that the only way to listen and appreciate music can only be done by listening to vinyl. But i love the.....how should i put it....physicality, and the inserts are great if they are included. When they say poster included they mean poster and not some stamp size picture.

Ok...this is what i got.

DEVO - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
I always loved their early work and this LP came in Yellow Vinyl. Looks Cool.

NIRVANA - Nevermind
Alls been said and done. By the way.... it cames in a cool looking blue vinyl.

SERGE GAINSBOURG - histoire de melody nelson.
A 70's Classic Concept Album and it only runs for 26min. It's supposedly limited edition. It comes in 180g vinyl but i have been finding recently that 90% of vinyl comes in 180g. Serge is France's most revered pop songwwriter and a national icon some dacades after his death from a heart attack in 1991. His oeuvre of over 500 songs remains swollen with double - or triple entendres and trenchant, tarry poesy that still escapes exact english translation and appreciation. And the last one is..

JOHN LENNON - Imagine. Another limited edition release, how limited? I have no idea but this came with a huge poster. Huge.

All i need now is a turntable.

Norbie.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You better hurry up with that. I hear they're discontinuing the SL-1200.
Kalgar
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Picked up Daft Punk - Musique Vol 1 for $10 at JB the other day. Quite the awesome.

Got a Sanity $50 voucher for Christmas, but am finding it completely useless as my local Sanity store has practically turned into a DVD shop, shafting all the music into the corner, and completely removing its dance music section (heathens!!!).

>.>

http://kalgar-ramblingsofageek.blogspot.com/ - my blog
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two more PWEI CD singles; "Very Metal Noise Pollution" EP which includes the very first appearance of "92°F" with Clint and Adam on vocals backed up with a verse by Sylvia Tella who wholly did the vocals on the album version. It's half way between the heaviness of the album version and light poppy 1992 single version. Also got "X, Y & Zee" single which is probably the most commercial thing PWEI ever released. Quite a different mix to the album version. Was never a fan of this song and it's really a million miles away from the previous single "Dance of the Mad".
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
I've decided to start a vinyl collection

Welcome to the madness. Like you, I buy Records not because I am an Audiophile but because I enjoy Vinyl more than CDs - Though, the sound quality is nothing short of amazing on a decent record player.

If a band or artist I like releases an album, I will purchase it regardless if it is an LP or CD.

StorminNormin wrote:
I hear they're discontinuing the SL-1200

After a little searching I found the below statement regarding the Technics SL-1200. I have always planned on getting one.

Quote:
OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM TECHNICS/PANASONIC UK:
As a major global business, Panasonic keeps all of its operations under constant review. However, there are no current plans to discontinue the Technics Brand.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I downloaded Cycles by Soul Control last night - Great record with a strong mid-90's Hardcore influence.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Reply with quote
Pearl wrote:
After a little searching I found the below statement regarding the Technics SL-1200. I have always planned on getting one.

Yeah, I can't seem to find anything about it, either. A friend of mine assured me that they were, though. Confused
Martzy
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my rituial friday night Jb HiFi visit i picked up two albums

Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death
Over Kill - Under The Influence
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
On Monday I picked up Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I've decided to eventually get all the 09 Beatles reissues. I already have the Yellow Submarine Songtrack CD from 1999, but playing The Beatles Rock Band has made me interested in getting al the albums.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vinyl Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
A friend of mine assured me that they were, though. Confused

Bummer. I was reading an article the other day saying that the discontinuation news was a rumor started by a retailer in New Zealand and Australia. However, it is only inevitable that it will be discontinued some time eventually.

Here is the link to the article.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought Scars - Bassment Jaxx the other day. Pretty much worth it for Raindrops alone.
Martzy
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Picked up earlier today

Overkill - W.F.O
Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose Of Death
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My pre-order of At Least We Tried by Sentiments arrived in the mail today - The release date was delayed by a week. I don't know what to say, other than it has exceeded my expectations and I was expecting a lot after hearing their demo in 2008. One of the best Hardcore/Punk records I have ever heard.

I recommend it for anyone who likes bands such as Modern Life Is War and Go It Alone.

Also, it is going to get pressed on Vinyl later in the year.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm thinking of picking up a Beatles album next week. Which album would people suggest? I was thinking of the White Album. (I already have Sgt. Pepper.)
Franky01
He's the man.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Revolver.

Proud Member of Typhoon LongWang

Twister.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most (all?) of the albums have songs I know, so whichever album is fine. Revolver, huh? Taxman, Elanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine, Good Day Sunshine...
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rick Ross - Deeper Than Rap
Muse - The Resistance

Wasn't hugely keen on getting the Muse album (sorta got over them) but they had that great new single on at Big W and so I ended up getting it.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Picked up Revolver by The Beatles. Read about it in the Dodgy thread.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
New Massive Attack record, Heligloland, comes out tomorrow.

Can. Not. Wait.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just found out that The Bright Side by Break Even will be getting pressed on Vinyl some time soon. Great news, The Bright Side was one of the best albums of 2009.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not even sure what I would label 2009's album of the year.

Crack The Skye was probably the closest. Seeing Mastodon perform the entire thing live last week was awesome.

EDIT: Actually, Movements by Solar Fields. Fantastic record.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Actually, Movements by Solar Fields. Fantastic record.

I just searched them on Google - I'll have to check out more from Ultimae Records, as I recall you posting about them a while ago.

My nomination for album of 2009 would be Wavering Radiant by Isis. Not as ground breaking as Oceanic or In The Absence of Truth but as Isis albums do, they tend to grow on the listener over time.

The last half of the album is epic. No other word could be more fitting.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
New Massive Attack record, Heligloland, comes out tomorrow.

Can. Not. Wait.

I really need to try some Massive Attack. JB and iTunes has there greatest hits album (Collected I think it's called) for around $10.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just get Protection, Blue Lines and Mezzanine. They're all fantastic records, and absolute must-own titles.

100th Window is great too, just not quite as essential as their other records (and it's technically a Robert Del Naja solo record).

Pearl wrote:
[..]I just searched them on Google - I'll have to check out more from Ultimae Records, as I recall you posting about them a while ago.

If you like "chill-out" or ambient electronica with some trance-ish leanings, then definitely check them out. I'm gonna try and collect the entire catalogue on iTunes when I get a bit more money.

Quote:
My nomination for album of 2009 would be Wavering Radiant by Isis. Not as ground breaking as Oceanic or In The Absence of Truth but as Isis albums do, they tend to grow on the listener over time.

Man, I didn't even remember I had that record. It's been sitting in my iTunes for months but I haven't got around to listening to it yet.
Martzy
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my adventure to JB tonight i picked up

Overkill - Horrorscope & Behemoth - Ezkaton

Also my vote for album of 2009 would be Lord - Set In Stone, it is an awesome album
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Man, I didn't even remember I had that record. It's been sitting in my iTunes for months but I haven't got around to listening to it yet.

Listen to the track 20 Minutes/40 Years - It pretty much sums up or epitomises the aesthetic of the album.
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently got Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" and "Ride the Lightning".
Bowie
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ordered a shedload of CDs to be imported in via JB HiFi the other day Very Happy, I did kinda feel sorry for the employee I held up for the better part of half an hour though Razz.

Page 3 of 8

Jump to: