Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Your Latest Music Purchases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Your Latest Music Purchases
Author
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been getting into music from the Ultimae Records label just recently. Picked up albums by Solar Fields (he's the guy behind the fantastic Mirror's Edge soundtrack), H.U.V.A. Network, Aes Dana and a couple of others over the past few weeks.

If you like ambient electronic music, then definitely check these artists and their labelmates out. It's brilliant stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chika Akatsuki wrote:
I got the 10th Anniversary Edition of Slipknot's first album.

Been meaning to pick that up. Say what you like about Slipknot but that album was really awesome back when it was first released. Anyway, recently I bought The Downward Spiral and And All That Could Have Been. Just gotta find Pretty Hate Machine now.
Ronald
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i just got mew - frengers because the last 15 or so albums i've bought have been death metal so i thought a change might be in order

mew rule
Gothic_Pepsi
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope to get a Dream Evil album tomorrow, preferably The Book of Heavy Metal! if not im happy to get any of their other albums, dont own any of their stuff yet but all that i have heard of theirs is awesome! Very Happy
Ronald
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh man i got dream evil confused with dream death for a second there and thought you were talking about some mad old school death/doom

dream death are cool

Gothic_Pepsi
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Argh stupid Sanity doesnt have any Dream Evil albums! so i got Death Magnetic and Load both by Metallica so i was happy Very Happy
Bowie
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is why JB is better Cool
Gothic_Pepsi
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bowie wrote:
That is why JB is better Cool

yeah i know but i wasnt in that area Sad however i hope to go there in a few weeks...
Franky01
He's the man.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recent Album purchases

Sarah Blasko - As Day Follows Night
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Mastodon - Crack The Sky
Queen - Absolute Greatest (I already own all their stuff but i wanted the book)
Baroness - Blue Record (Probably my favourite album this year)

All from JB. They've done it again!

Proud Member of Typhoon LongWang

Twister.
Ronald
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gothic_Pepsi wrote:
[..]

yeah i know but i wasnt in that area Sad however i hope to go there in a few weeks...
buying online is better than both i've found

i haven't paid over ~$17 (postage included) for a cd since forever
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
At the start of this topic some said I think stormo said "Do people still buy CD's"

Well yes we do sometimes still buy CD's

The Beatles is another thing too that you can't Download ANY Beatles songs online which you're still have to buy the digitally re-mastered CD's.

And there are some old songs that you can't find online which I find frustrating.

I know when you go to say itunes store and you try and find an old 80's song but it's not online.
I think I have about 5 songs I want but I can't find online as they are just RARE songs.

Even anime soundtracks aren't online so finding them it hard too.
Eg Ghost in the Shell soundtrack or Akira soundtrack are probably the best anime soundtracks I have heard but you can't get them in itunes online store.
Gothic_Pepsi
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I all ways buy CD's, i find it easier and more satisfying then downloading it off itunes etc. but thats just personal preference, i kinda like to look through the booklet cover thing that comes with the CD's as well, something you cant get when you download them.
Martzy
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah i argee with you there, the booklet & album cover art is something you really miss when you download songs.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Franky01 wrote:
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

Excellent record - Phoenix are renown for their incredibly well executed live performances.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
The Beatles is another thing too that you can't Download ANY Beatles songs online which you're still have to buy the digitally re-mastered CD's.

This is going to change soon. Expect Beatles on the iTunes store in the next few months.

Quote:
And there are some old songs that you can't find online which I find frustrating.

On the other hand, I've found some really obscure stuff on iTunes that you simply can't buy on CD at all. Even new stuff can be hard to find.

A few weeks ago, I saw a girl called Juliette Commagiere in concert (she was the support for Ry Cooder). Her CD is not even released in Australia, but you can buy the album off iTunes.

Quote:
I know when you go to say itunes store and you try and find an old 80's song but it's not online.

I honestly haven't found this at all. I have some pretty obscure musical tastes, and 99% of the time when I search for an obscure artist on iTunes, they're on there. The only notable recent exception I can think of is Pelican.

Quote:
Even anime soundtracks aren't online so finding them it hard too.
Eg Ghost in the Shell soundtrack or Akira soundtrack are probably the best anime soundtracks I have heard but you can't get them in itunes online store.

To be fair, you can't buy these in record stores either. You can only get them by specifically importing them from Japan.

There is a very limited selection of JPop on the iTunes store, though. Some of it (ie Genki Rockets) is pretty good, too.

Martzy wrote:
Yeah i argee with you there, the booklet & album cover art is something you really miss when you download songs.

Good thing it often comes with the digital download as a PDF then!

You guys have to remember that when I buy a CD, all I do with it is rip it and put it on my iPod. I never touch the CD again, so all it's doing is taking up space in my small flat. I figure I may as well just cut out the middleman and buy the digital files directly.

Not to mention most albums cost about half as much on iTunes as they do from a record shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gothic_Pepsi
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote Good thing it often comes with the digital download as a PDF then![/quote]

I myself prefer to have a physical copy,PDF version of a cover/booklet would be pretty lame IMO, but then again ive never had one so i cant say for sure.

We all have our own preferences however...
Ronald
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMMAGERE-JULIETTE-QUEENS-DIE-PROUDLY-CD-NEW_W0QQitemZ300374228102QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_CDs?hash=item45efb2fc86

that was easy
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can back up your argument Stormo but still there are RARE onces and even some still partial albums that are not complete.
When I mean RARE I mean like one off hits which are kinda like one-hit-wonders.
You may find the artist but the song or album you want from the artist might not be available which is another thing that's frustrating.

But in time some Artists release more of their albums which is great but not all albums become available depending on the artist.

Eg Regurgitator (Australian band you all know) didn't have all their previous albums released online until people started requesting for it.

So it's not like everything is available in itunes as there are STILL songs from Artists that just aren't released which is strange.

But your right that you do get surprised when songs you had trouble getting before become available and finding stuff you thought you couldn't get anymore.

But yeah sometimes it's good to buy CD's that come with limited edition booklet and great artwork.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I swing by a shop with a Sanity or something I'll grab a CD. Rip it at better quality than iTunes as well. But really, it's just easier to get them from iTunes these days.

Still, some albums don't appear on iTunes. Bloc Party's "Silent Alarm" for instance or Jay-Z's "American Ganster" (which I really want, BTW).
Ookami
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy wrote:
[..]

Been meaning to pick that up. Say what you like about Slipknot but that album was really awesome back when it was first released. Anyway, recently I bought The Downward Spiral and And All That Could Have Been. Just gotta find Pretty Hate Machine now.

I am busy trying to get all of the NIN stuff. Finally figured out where my Halo 13 (The Day the World Went Away/ Star****ers) was and have put that in its place in the collection

Just hate that there is two Survivalisms to get...
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronald wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMMAGERE-JULIETTE-QUEENS-DIE-PROUDLY-CD-NEW_W0QQitemZ300374228102QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_CDs?hash=item45efb2fc86

that was easy

If you bought it off the iTunes store, you wouldn't have to wait for it to ship from the US.

Still, you should probably buy it, it's a really good album. I hope she becomes a lot more popular in the future and that her albums get local releases so those people who still insist on living in the 20th century can enjoy her music!

Razz
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is the 21st Century now.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Designers Republic Boxing Day Massacre"

"The Sakkin' Frakkin' Rakkin' Designers Republic"

"If it's Wednesday, it must be the Designers Republic"

So I'm completing my PWEI CD single collection will all of the single remixes and B-sides I don't have. Missing "X Y & Zee" and "Very Metal Noise Pollution" EP. Actually looking through the credits (apart from the odd DR self crediting system above), there's lot of producers like Boilerhouse and On-U Sound System that I now want to look further into (though I don't think I'll be getting Gary Clail or Tackhead's stuff).

Also looking into getting a lot of bits from the KLF/JAMMs/2K catalogue. Surprisingly most of it is rather affordable despite Jimmy and Bill's post 1992 insanity with the deletion of the entire catalogue. With the exception of the "Kylie Said to Jason" and "K Cera Cera" CD singles which go for absurd prices. Also the "1987" LP is way out of my budget. But I think with the KLF, I'm more impressed with the punk DYI/art terrorist thing they had going on than the music. I always though the burning of a million pounds was pretty funny (it was nailed to wall as an art piece previously). Then they turned the ashes into a brick.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got Jay-Z's "The Blueprint" and RZA's "RZA As Bobby Digital - Digital Bullet" from iTunes today as well as a couple of songs from Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3 (Run This Town and Empire State Of Mind).

Due to having dial-up, I've only got the two songs and a few of Jay-Z's songs so far. So far so good. Stopped it for a bit so I can get a bit of RZA at the moment.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I downloaded Conditions by The Temper Trap on the weekend - It is a really enjoyable listen.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most recent CD I bought was the soundtrack to The Crow. Still debating whether Burn (The Cure) or Dead Souls (Nine Inch Nails covering Joy Division) is the best song on the disc.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nine Inch Nails covered Joy Division? Now I have to hear that - Dead Souls is one of my favourite songs from Joy Division.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
Also the "1987" LP is way out of my budget.

I would love to one day get my hands on this and listen to it.

I got The White Room a while ago, and was amazed at how well it stands up after all these years. It's still a brilliant record, even if it gets a bit cheesy occasionally. You just can't help but grin and punch the air when 3AM Eternal or What Time Is Love starts up.

Also, Build A Fire is wonderful.
Bowie
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought Trash by Alice Cooper and Backwaxed by Anvil at JB yesterday.
Martzy
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Picked up Immortal - Pure Holocaust today at Jb
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This month:

Monkees - Headquarters (LP)(Sundazed)
Gerry Raffetry - City To City (CD)(EMI)
Angels - Beyond Salvation (CD)(Liberation)
Angels - Liveline [20th Anniv.] (CD)(Liberation)

Liberation are one of the few companies who don't seem to be using dynamic compression to make their CD's louder, thus they sound phenominal on our hi-fi.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My Partner allowed me to open a present from under the tree this morning. It was the Triple J Like A Version 5 Compilation CD.

These releases are fantastic, with some of the covers sounding better than the originals.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
^Kat^cassidy^ wrote:

Liberation are one of the few companies who don't seem to be using dynamic compression to make their CD's louder, thus they sound phenominal on our hi-fi.

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to start avoiding records where this has been done to them, because it sounds really, really awful with my iPod headphones.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually have very few records that have been dynamically compressed in the afore mentioned way. The benefits of purchasing from Indie labels, I guess.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I won this cd along with a t-shirt the other day so am expecting this in the post shortly:
PHILADELPHIA GRAND JURY aka Philly Jays - “Hope Is For Hopers”

I bought an MP3 player as a one of the Xmas presents for my wife, can anyone tell me where the best places are to download music legally from?
I kind of know about iTunes, I just have to figure out how to use it properly, the audio formats that this things supports are: MP3, WMA and OGG plus video: AVI(MP4 and Xvid)

Also is there a way to put your tracks from your physical Cd's onto an Mp3 player?
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Regarding your last question Travku - You simply rip the tracks from the CD on to your computer using a program like Windows Media Player, iTunes or Winamp and then upload the tracks onto your MP3 Player using one of the afore mentioned programs.

I am sure there are a number of other programs you could use as opposed to the ones I listed

Last edited by Blue Monday on Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Put the songs onto your computer (normally via Windows Media Player)
and assuming you will be using windows media player to put songs onto the MP3 anyway.

1. go to the "RIP" tab and rip the CD onto your computer.
2. after plugging in the MP3, (whenever, doesnt have to be this step, can be before this step) click the "SYNC" tab.
3. drag the songs you wish to put onto the MP3 into the "Sync list" you'll know it when you see it.
4. after it's all synchronized to the MP3, remove it from the computer (using the saftey removal thing etc.).
5. Enjoy

you can use this method with other songs after they have been put into the windows media player library by doing the same thing.

hope this works Smile
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that guys, I shall fiddle around with it after she opens it and lets me know what she wants me to put on there. I've already got a whole heap of mp3 tracks that we used at our wedding from artists like The Cure, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Nick Cave and many more which will be the first things I put on it for her.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Travku wrote:
Frankie Goes to Hollywood

i instantly think of the song "Relax" when i see this
which randomly makes me think of THIS!

yay i found another excuse to use it again Very HappyVery Happy

anyway.
Travku wrote:
Thanks for that guys

you're welcome ^.^ if you need help with it again later just ask and i'll see what i can do Smile
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
madchild wrote:
i instantly think of the song "Relax" when i see this
Power of Love was one of the songs we used for the wedding, Relax just didn't seem right for the occassion.
Gothic_Pepsi
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Travku: you can also just find the music on your computer and cop and paste it onto your MP3 player, this way is easier if your not familiar with programs like Winamp and Windows media player Razz

EDIT: forgot to put the CD's i got today lmfao, got the Black album from Mettalica and This is Thirteen by Anvil Very Happy
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Travku wrote:
Power of Love was one of the songs we used for the wedding, Relax just didn't seem right for the occassion.

Relax is better
lol Laughing
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two Tribes and Ferry 'Cross The Mersey, IMO.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Two Tribes and Ferry 'Cross The Mersey, IMO.
I'm talking about it being played at a wedding, for the signing of the marriage certificate part. Two Tribes and the rest just wouldn't fit. Not disputing the fact that they are great tracks but think of the context.

Anyway, that comp of the Philly Jays that I won ended up arriving today, now I'll have a chance to actually find out what type of music they play! I know they have a guitar in there somewhere as that was part of the answer I used to win the competition.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Two Tribes is a perfect wedding song. Razz
Gothic_Pepsi
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Two Tribes is a perfect wedding song. Razz

All nightmare long is more fitting Razz
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gothic_Pepsi wrote:
All nightmare long is more fitting Razz
Sounds like you guys have been burnt badly in the past and now your bitter and twisted hearts can't accept the notion of true love that lasts forever. Razz

I don't know if this is 100% true or if it's an urban myth but there was a rumour going around that one couple played Nine Inch Nails "Closer" (uncensored) for when the bride walked down the aisle in front of both their families!
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Closer would make an awesome wedding song.

Star Me Kitten by R.E.M. is pretty great, too.
Bowie
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
White Wedding perhaps? Razz.
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recently got:

Metallica - Master of Puppets
The Killers - Sawdust
Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest 2 disc edition
Muse - Showbiz