Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

DRAGON BALL Z KAI

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
DRAGON BALL Z KAI
Author
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed; 'new' dbz toys back at places like: Big W,Target, ect.

So its not impossible.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chika Akatsuki wrote:
Cheez Tv had to play the edited version of DBZ. That is what Mad Anime Fan means.

Well, yeah. And due to the different cencorship laws in Japan, Kai is already a little tamer anyway. So shouldn't be a problem if it did air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did that come out differently anyway?
I mean there was the days of those old editted VHS tape versions and the DVDs were uncut ones so much better.

Although with Kai not sure how much they would have to change maybe?
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trailer. Pretty rockin' if you ask me. Gohan's new voice sounds good judging from... the single wordless scream he has.

In other news, the first 3 episodes of the dub premiered at some con over the weekend, leading to a few little things popping up on YouTube (in hideously poor quality, but it's there.) If you poke around, you should be able to find the OP and ED themes, along with Piccolo's Spec-- Wait, no... Piccolo's Makankosappo.

This clearly makes me the very best, like no one ever was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
zeonezeonly
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Trailer. Pretty rockin' if you ask me.

agreed, it gave me tingles, but that could be because im rather cold atm. Laughing,

ive been thinking more and more about this, when it comes to i think i might end up buying all the dragon box's and ill also buy kai, mainly for the fact that there still 2 separate things, one being much, much longer from what i can gather. so what a little extra money handed over to funimation Razz
Tenko
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So Madman is releasing Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Collection 1 (2 Disc Set) (Blu-ray) on June 16th according to EzyDVD's website.. yet there is no sign of DragonBall Z Kai. Yet Kai is released before Brotherhood in the states. Does this mean no Australian/New Zealand Kai love for us? I would just import it, but like people have already mentioned, Funi is one of the few annoying publishers that region locks their Blu-rays. Sad
oscilator
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
dont worry im shore well get it sooner or later i mean it is dragonball
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll be buying DBZ Kai, and it will mark the first time I've watched DBZ since it was on Cheez TV all those years ago.

I've never got the DVDs before because of; 1) all the filler, and 2) because I know as soon as I get them all, Funi would release new versions of the series that are better than the last and I'll have to get them all again.

I'm not really impressed by DBZ Kai's opener though; Not that the original DBZ opener is good for anything other than nostalgia, but I was hoping for something along the lines of the intro to DBZ Budakai 3 or something. That was way better than DBZ Kai's first opener.

Still, I am rather excited -I did enjoy DBZ when it was on TV, so watching it again after all these years will be like reuniting with an old friend. An old friend who's lost 40 kilos and no longer screams at you for half an hour at a time.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, over on the Daizenshuu EX forums, seems a few people have started getting their R1 orders from Right Stuf. Heard a few interesting things so far, such as while we're getting Makankosappo and Kienzan, the Kikoho is still called the "Tri-Beam". Possibly to keep consistency with Dragon Ball? I mean, the former 2 were never used until Z, but the Kikoho has been around since Tenshinhan's introduction.

Also... What does the scouter say about his power level?

... It's over EIGHT THOUSAND!!

Also, in slightly less dub related news... This week's episode in Japan FINALLY provided us with a new ending theme! The opening is still Dragon Soul, but they've added in a few new scenes again. Mostly SSJ Gohan looking kinda cool with his back turned and cape flowing in the wind. Also some SSJ Vegeta and Trunks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't stop, Don't stop! We're in luck now!

English dub of the Kai Opening.
Andy_ubio
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought it was interesting and that it should be brought to everyones attention in this thread.

I saw in another thread (Madman Suggestions & Feedback - DBZ Dragon Box) That Gouki has posted a comment saying that apparently MadMan will be releasing Dragonball Z Kai starting in August.
Although I dont think it has been officially announced or confirmed by anyone from MadMan yet.

Oh and apparently MadMan wont be releasing the Dragon Boxes, just Kai.
zeonezeonly
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

why, oh why? is there always something wrong with dragon ball z?
this song (and the japanese) i dislike. more so the singers rather then the music, it just doesnt seem to fit, although i think funimation did a good job for what they had to work with.
Andy_ubio
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
zeonezeonly wrote:
Quote:

why, oh why? is there always something wrong with dragon ball z?
this song (and the japanese) i dislike. more so the singers rather then the music, it just doesnt seem to fit, although i think funimation did a good job for what they had to work with.

Hahaha... I just checked it out aswell.
Man its so 80's... Which isnt all that bad. But surely they could have gotten someone better to sing it. That way they wouldn't have had to use auto tune (its one of my pet hates in music especially when its noticable)

I recon they should have gone all out on the 80's-ness of it and got someone with a bit more range... Put in a some high notes and actually hold out some notes (the singing is really syncopated) so it would actually go with the style of music.
Its really annoying! I can hear so much potential in it, if only they had embraced how much of an 80's rock song it is.
zeonezeonly
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I recon they should have gone all out on the 80's-ness of it and got someone with a bit more range... Put in a some high notes and actually hold out some notes (the singing is really syncopated) so it would actually go with the style of music.
thats what its missing, although i think it would be amuseing too see a small range of heavy metal singers singing it, *cough cough* should get ur band to do it*cough cough* would be highly amuseing. keep thinking dragonforce could work well with it aswell. but regardless.

Quote:
That way they wouldn't have had to use auto tune (its one of my pet hates in music especially when its noticable)

Brian mcfadden?
Malicious_Ninja
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are we getting the dragon-boxes? Or only Kai?
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malicious_Ninja wrote:
Are we getting the dragon-boxes? Or only Kai?

No Dragon Boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malicious_Ninja
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gouki wrote:
[..]

No Dragon Boxes.

So MADMAN has failed us!woe is me
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, the edited version of the Kai dub has started on US TV. I've managed to uh... obtain a copy of the first episode.

Very curious point... The opening theme. Not only has it been shortened to one minute long (which isn't the odd part), but the vocalist is no longer Sean Schemmel. The TV version of the opening is sung by Vic Mignogna.

Other points... The episode was rather accurately dubbed for the most part, although I was thrown off slightly by the absence of some of my favourite (dub-only) lines of the past. ("I think may have you singed some of my leg hairs...", "I smell death in the air...", "I want to be an orthopedist!")

Also... In the opening part of the episode (the recap of pre-Raditz events) the "天下一武道会" sign at the Tenkaichi Budokai was edited to say... Well, "Tenkaichi Budoukai". Which is odd, considering that while "Budoukai" is an accurate romanisation, they've always used "Budokai" in game titles. ... Well, that and the fact that the tournament itself has always been "The World Martial Arts Tournament" in English too.

And I'm pretty sure a kanji was removed from one of Korin's water jars... But I can't be bothered going to the effort of checking for sure.

Also, Bardock's scar (and all the blood he was covered in as well) is gone. Razz

And dear god... The moment where farmer with shotgun says "Phew, boy..." is so incredibly poorly edited. (To remove his cigarette) It's okay after that, but I just had to point out how horribly that 2 seconds of footage was edited.

Bowie
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forgive me for being ignorant, but does that mean that Kai (or at least the Kai that we will get) is censored?
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it airs on TV (which as far as I'm aware, isn't going to be happening in the foreseeable future as nothing has been said), I think it's safe to assume it'll be edited. Any DVD/Blu-Ray home release however (which Madman are supposedly starting around August) will be completely uncut and bilingual.

(Or at least, as uncut as Kai gets. After all, the original Japanese version of Kai would technically qualify as an edited version of Dragon Ball Z.)

Bowie
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, cool thanks. I was more worried about having editing purely for the sake of a ratings like you mentioned.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I've managed to watch the second episode of the edited dub. They seem to avoiding the words "kill" and "die" (Which I know are in the uncut dub), instead using things like "eliminate", "exterminate", etc.

Also, despite the "Tenkaichi Budoukai" sign in episode 1, while talking about his fight with Piccolo five years ago, Goku calls it "The World Martial Arts Tournament", just like the dub always has.

Didn't really notice any obvious paint edits, it wouldn't surprise me if they were in there somewhere though.

(In news not quite related to the topic at hand, I ordered the Dragon Boxes this morning. They're down to US$26.99 each on Amazon.)

SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I've watched the edited versions of episodes 3 and 4 now.

Pretty well done, there were edits, but if it wasn't for the fact that I was familiar with the Japanese version, I wouldn't have noticed them except maybe the little name thing on King Yemma's desk being translated from "閻魔大王" to "King Yemma".

Well, that and the moment after Piccolo's arm was blasted off by Raditz. The small bit of purple blood on the ground was kept, but the dripping wasn't. ... But the dripping sound effect was.

Unlike the uncut version, Piccolo uses the "Special Beam Cannon" instead of "Makankousappou", but then in episode 4's flashback to the attack... it's the Makankousappou. Reminds me of the time Funimation's edited One Piece dub let in a "Going Merry" rather than a "Merry Go".

SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent! I've been holding on to this news for a little while now as I've been sworn to secrecy, but now that it's publicly announced, I can say Freeza has been recast for the Kai dub. Unfortunately, I can't say who as that part is still secret, but... yeah.

SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, the Saiyan arc has completed it's broadcast run! I lost interest watching Kai in Japanese halfway through the Goku vs. Vegeta fight, but the dub... the sheer level of quality it brings that wasn't there for Dragon Ball Z is just fantastic. And to think that this was merely the edited dub, the watered down version of what we'll see on the Blu-Ray/DVD. It's just fantastic.

Also, in episode 17 we had our first insert song, Over the Star, which like the opening and ending themes, has been dubbed into English. I really like the English version of the song, and am looking forward to hearing some of the later insert songs in English too. I mean, who doesn't want to hear Chris Sabat attempt singing in his Vegeta voice for Saiyan Blood? Laughing (And I'm also looking forward to the possibility of getting a clean version of this song once someone gets it by separating the 5.1 track of the home release in September.)

Having come this far into the show, I figure I'll give some opinions about the new members of the voice cast.

Monica Rial is a fantastic replacement for Tiffany Vollmer. I never cared much for Vollmer's Bulma, I didn't actively dislike it, but... it was just there. Rial's voice is in a somewhat similar vein to Vollmer's, so it isn't a jarring change if you were to say... watch the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai in Dragon Ball before starting into Dragon Ball Z Kai, but it's just much much better.

Colleen Clinkenbeard as Gohan... Why couldn't we have had her as Gohan in the "Ultimate Uncut" episodes a few years back? As much as I love Stephanie Nadolny's work around the time of the Cell Game, she never sounded like a passable four year old. Or even a "four and a half" year old as the dub claims. Clinkenbeard just nails it and really does sound like a really young kid.

As for other voice recasts, Brina Palencia is fantastic as Puar and Chaozu and is essentially indistinguishable from their old voice (Monika Antonelli, I believe?), not particularly surprising though anyway as she's been playing them the last few years in the video games anyway.

Chris Cason as Mr. Popo is... well, good? If I recall correctly, he was originally Popo back in '99 or something but somehow the role changed to Sabat at some point. I'll be the first person to admit that Sabat had way too many roles in Dragon Ball Z, but... I think I liked his Popo better. Of course, Cason's Popo is in the same vein as Sabat's anyway, so it's not a massive shift. (And honestly, Popo really isn't an important character by any stretch of the imagination.) Oh, and Cason is Master Roshi's Turtle too now. Not much to say there.

Bryan Massey as Oolong is... honestly, Oolong? Nobody really cares about him by this part of the series. Some people seem to feel that he's a poor attempt at an imitation of Brad Jackson's Oolong (or in some cases, a decent imitation), but... I don't hear it. He sounds nothing like Brad Jackson at all. Although he isn't bad by any means and... well, it's Oolong, no-one cares anyway.

Gregory... I have no idea who used to play Gregory, and I have no idea who plays him now either. But he sounds different. And uh, yeah.

Aaaand... I think that's all the recasts of the Saiyan arc? Anyway, special mention has to go to Korin. Chris Sabat played him in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z and he still plays him in Dragon Ball Z Kai. Except he sounds like he finally coughed up the dozen furballs stuck in his throat, making him sound completely different than before.

Noticing what a large wall of text this has become, I decided to try bolding some of the more important points so that things stand out more and not just be a big text wall in your face.

... Am I the only one here?

Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:

... Am I the only one here?

I've been reading your posts, just haven't had much to say until now. Razz

I don't like Monica Rial's Bulma. I don't know why, I just don't. (lame excuse, I know). Colleen's Gohan is growing on me, but I hear so much Luffy in it. That doesn't mean its a bad voice for Gohan, just that I associate it with another character. Like I said, its growing on me, though I never hated Stephanie Nadolny's Gohan.

The new Freeza is terrible. I know there was only one line in the latest episode for him but it was just terrible. Sounded like a man's interpretation of Pauline Newstone's Ocean dub Freeza. I don't know what I was expecting, exactly, but this certainly wasn't it.
Then again, once we get to an episode where Freeza has many more lines, maybe my opinion will change. I'm certainly hoping it will.

Also, really digging how Sean has improved with Goku and that Chris Sabat has made Piccolo sound more natural.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hagane_Gir wrote:
I've been reading your posts, just haven't had much to say until now. Razz

Yaaaay!

Hagane_Gir wrote:
Colleen's Gohan is growing on me, but I hear so much Luffy in it. That doesn't mean its a bad voice for Gohan, just that I associate it with another character.

Yeah, kinda like how Usopp's voice reminds me a lot of Krillin. Of course, both Krillin and Usopp are fantastic anyway.

Hagane_Gir wrote:
The new Freeza is terrible. I know there was only one line in the latest episode for him but it was just terrible. Sounded like a man's interpretation of Pauline Newstone's Ocean dub Freeza. I don't know what I was expecting, exactly, but this certainly wasn't it.
Then again, once we get to an episode where Freeza has many more lines, maybe my opinion will change. I'm certainly hoping it will

Yes, yes, YES. I'm not really familiar with much of Chris Ayres's work (except perhaps Johnny in One Piece), but I was expecting something less like Linda Young and more like Ryusei Nakao. I haven't watched the whole of episode 19 yet, but I have seen Freeza's line and... I'm honestly very disappointed.

Of course, while I don't particularly like Linda Young's Freeza, I'm able to tolerate it, and I should be able to do the same here. I really do hope it gets better as we go along though.

SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, yeah. Freeza has grown on me a bit as we've progressed. He seems to fluctuate a bit between doing his own thing and imitating what came before though.

In other news... GINYU FORCE RULES~!! GINYU FORCE RULES~!! GINYU FORCE RULES~!! GINYU FORCE RULES~!! (God I love that song.)

New Ginyus!

Guldo: Greg Ayres (Formerly Bill Townsley)
Burter: Vic Mignogna (Formerly Chris Sabat)
Jeice: Jason Liebrecht (Formerly Chris Sabat)
Ginyu: R. Bruce Elliot (Formerly Brice Armstrong)

... Oh, and Sabat is still Recoome. He seems to have turned the dial down on the retard scale though.

The new voices are all fine I guess, Guldo was pretty good even though he's already dead after one episode... I'll judge the others more as we continue.

... Oh, and despite being recast, Jeice still has his Australian accent.

Andy_ubio
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am really interested in Kai... Its been a while since i have watch any Dragonball. So it will be good to watch a newer DBZ and everything SaiyamanMS has said about it so far is making it sound really good.

The only problem is i am afraid that Madman will make a complete collection/box once its all been released, like what they did witht he remastered and uncut release of DBZ...
So i dont want risk going out and buying the BD's as they get released and then find out that there is going to be a complete box and then feel like a sucker cos i dont have a spiffy box for my collection.

So i think i might have to do what you have been doing and try and watch the TV versions and then when a complete collection gets released... Then i will get myself a copy. Very Happy
And if a complete collection never happens then i geuss i will eventually juts buy all the individual BD's.

Also do you think it might get aired on Aus TV? Cartoon Network has alawys given DBZ a fair flogging, so do you think there might be a chance they will air it?
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It'd be nice if it aired out here, simply because airing things on TV is always good.

As for a complete collection... Well, I certainly wouldn't rule it out, but if it were to happen, it'd be a looong time from now. Episode 64 just aired this morning in Japan, with the debut of Androids 17 and 18. So considering that Japan hasn't even reached Cell yet, it'll be a while before anyone releases a complete collection.

SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, it looks like the TV airing of Z Kai is now going on hiatus with 35 episodes aired. The final episode that was on TV ended with the summoning of Porunga, no wishes have yet been made.

SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
And as of today, the 4Kids edited version has started airing on their Saturday morning block.

Farmer with shotgun is now Farmer with laser.

I have not seen this for myself as of yet, however I do find it hilarious.

SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So... Madman's release of episodes 1-13 came out this past week, right? No-one has anything to say?

(Personally, I imported Funi's release a little while back, although I haven't exactly got around to watching it yet. I blame my parents for getting me interested in Desperate Housewives.)

Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got it last week on Blu Ray and have watched the first 6 eps so far. I'm liking it more than regular DBZ as it is more compact and closer to the manga.

One thing I was disappointed in is that it is in 4:3 ratio. I was under the impression that the Japanese broadcasts were in widescreen so why aren't the DVD/Blu Rays??
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Majin Cell wrote:
One thing I was disappointed in is that it is in 4:3 ratio. I was under the impression that the Japanese broadcasts were in widescreen so why aren't the DVD/Blu Rays??

The Japanese broadcasts were cropped, since they were required to be in widescreen. So the 4:3 ratio is correct, and you are actually seeing more.
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That explains it a bit better then - and yes I understand that I am seeing more.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also as a side note, the Japanese Blu-Rays are 4:3 also. (Their DVD release however is 16:9 like their TV broadcast.)

SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In other news... New episodes of Z Kai start on Nicktoons in two weeks on September 6th! Of course, this is in America, but hey... This is the internet. I'll be watching.

Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've only watched a few episodes of interest in Kai, mostly to hear the new voices.

I'm a bit dismayed by some of the Ginyu Force (although the song was pretty awesome). Guldo/Ghurd is outstanding, which is a shame because he's only around for 1 and a bit episodes. I don't like Vic Mignogna as Burter though, I can't really pinpoint why. It just sounds forced. Jeice sounds terrible, I think its the worst change out of the group, too over the top and just doesn't feel right. Glad Recoome was toned down and just sounds like a brute now. I'm really sad that Ginyu was replaced but his replacement works fine. I'll always prefer Brice Armstrong's Ginyu, but I'm happy with this voice.

Also I'm changing my opinion on Freeza, he's amazing now.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I kinda get that with Sabat playing three out of five Ginyus, we'd get some recasts there, but I really preferred his Jeice to Jason Liebrecht's one.

As for replacing Brice Armstrong, I really liked his Ginyu, but R. Bruce Elliot is a suitable replacement. Especially since from what I've heard, Armstrong has been retired for a little while now anyway.

SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought the Blu-ray version of KAI collection and watched it just recently and I have to say I'm glad the filler episodes are gone but since I don't have DBZ season 1 on DVD I'm glad I waited this long to get DBZ: KAI and glad it's remastered with quality.

Most of my DBZ collection is from the freeza saga and all the way to the end of DBZ because of the uncut episodes.
Because at the time DBZ season 1 was first released it was "edited" version and different voices.
Now I have uncut remastered DBZ: KAI I'm actually glad I bought it and waited this long.

When seeing uncut episodes of season 1 was a bit of a first for me as season 1 tends to be heavily edited with no blood.
The first time I saw season 1 DBZ was on Cheeztv with different voice actors, I didn't bother to buy these episodes as they were the edited version so I waited until Madman released the uncut version years ago.

But uncut episodes only came out until the Freeza saga started which is when the Ginyu force arrive and all the new voice actors vamp it up with better voices.

::Format::
I noticed people have been talking about 4:3 which is understandable as the show is like 20 years old so I didn't expect 16:9 format as the show is old.
I don't think they can make the show any better in quality than they have already done.
But it does have that nice clean look and the colours are brighter.

A few recast voices but I didn't notice much of the difference at this stage as most of the current DBZ are still there.
But seeing season 1 redubbed is a first for me.

But I think I'm bit like everybody else here wanting to get this because
1) no more fillers
2) more manga like
3) uncut and some re-dubbing and remastered.

Even though there's no fillers Gregory is still in it even though he's not in the manga, but they can't cut the episode out because of Goku training in Heaven is still part of the manga based episodes.
Why they added Gregory the grasshopper in the first place is unbelieveable as it's suppose to be only Bubbles and King Kai....ah well.

So I'm looking forward to Kai collection 2 as this I haven't got the first part of the namek saga on DVD.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For any of you who would like to try before you buy in regards to Kai, Madman have put up a few clips on the Screening Room.

Clip 1: Goku and Piccolo vs. Raditz
Clip 2: Piccolo takes Gohan under his wing
Clip 3: Piccolo destroys the moon
Clip 4: Gohan's training with Piccolo
Clip 5: ... Apparently clip 5 can't be found, but I'm sure it'll turn up?
Clip 6: Krillin kills the Saibamen
Clip 7: Goku vs. Nappa

Goku's_Inner_Sayian
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so i've decided that I am going to go the expensive route and purchase the Blue-Ray release of Kai and get the Dragon Boxes. Here's my delema: I don't know where I can get my hands on the dragon boxes. Does anyone know of a good place to purchase he suckers? A reliable site, something? I really want to get them asap.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Goku's_Inner_Sayian wrote:
Ok, so i've decided that I am going to go the expensive route and purchase the Blue-Ray release of Kai and get the Dragon Boxes. Here's my delema: I don't know where I can get my hands on the dragon boxes. Does anyone know of a good place to purchase he suckers? A reliable site, something? I really want to get them asap.

Amazon.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope that Toasted TV will air DB Kai like Cheese TV did with DBZ years ago. I tried watching DB Kai when it was first airing in Japan but didn't like the Japanese voices. I like full collections of DVDs so will be waiting until madman releases a full boxed set of Kai before purchasing it. I had to wait forever for Naruto to be released as a box set so I know that I will be able to wait.
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Goku's_Inner_Sayian wrote:

I would suggest Right Stuff, especially during studio sales. Although it looks like the Dragon Boxes are limited items, with the second box starting to go out of stock in a few places.

Gouki wrote:
Amazon.

Amazon's packaging is terrible, Amazon is definitely not a good choice for collectors items like Dragon Box which could easily get damaged.

Feball3001 wrote:
I hope that Toasted TV will air DB Kai like Cheese TV did with DBZ years ago.

I doubt Dragon Ball Kai will be shown on Toasted TV anytime soon, with Dragon Ball Z still been slowly worked through every Saturday.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kirben wrote:
Amazon's packaging is terrible, Amazon is definitely not a good choice for collectors items like Dragon Box which could easily get damaged.

Oh, please. I've never had a problem with Amazons packaging for anything I've gotten from there, and neither has anything else. The Dragon Boxes are also remarkably sturdy and hardly "collectors items".
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gouki wrote:
Oh, please. I've never had a problem with Amazons packaging for anything I've gotten from there, and neither has anything else. The Dragon Boxes are also remarkably sturdy and hardly "collectors items".

No, it sounds like you don't order many items from Amazon that could get damaged easily.

I have had bad experiences with Amazon (UK and USA), with books and DVD boxed sets suffering damage, due to their ridiculous packaging methods. With the books and boxed sets been sent in boxes the wrong shape or too large, and only useless inside package (i.e. airbags). Any packaging feedback is completely ignored, with items resent the exact same way multiple times!

A recent example would be the Thundercats - Complete Series 1/2 boxed set from Amazon (UK), which was sent in a box double the size, with only a piece of bubblewrap thrown in. So the boxed set moved around, suffering dents, splits and tearing.

On the other hand, Right Stuff has the most thorough packaging of any online store I have dealt with. With DVDs been extremely well packaging, so very little chance of damage.

Parcels can get quite roughed up during the long journey to Australia, so packaging is very important if you want items to arrive in good condition.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not had any problems with Amazon yet, but I have only ordered a few books that I could not get here. For my DVDs that I order its usually between Madman and Ezydvd and I have found that Ezydvd has better packaging overall.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kirben wrote:
No, it sounds like you don't order many items from Amazon that could get damaged easily.

All I order from Amazon is books and DVDs. That's it. And I have not had a single problem with any packaging or item (well except the Reefer Madness musical DVD not smelling like brownies like it was meant to but I think it was customs that replaced the case with a shiity 'recyclable' one that didn't smell).

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: