Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

How do they pick the music for anime

How do they pick the music for anime
Author
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: How do they pick the music for anime Reply with quote
I wonder how they pick the songs for anime shows like Bleach and make the artists cut their songs down to about 60-90 secs for an opener/ending?

Also, does it help the Japanese music industry as well?

Also, I wonder they also watch some Japanese MTV videos to pick the songs? If they find a good one...'hey, let's contact the band and ask them if their song can be used in the opener/ender to this anime'?

PS. Do they have storyboards when they make anime opening and end sequences?
Gothic_Pepsi
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im not sure about other anime's but i know with Afro Samurai the maker was a big fan of the Wu Tang Clan (excuse me if i get it wrong, i dont like hip hop/rap) and contact one of the guys from there who was also an anime fan, he then came in and made all the music for it etc.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anime is usually made by a committee of several companies, one of which is a music company. That company says "We want you to use this artist/song."

It's generally used as a way to promote artists.
TidalWave_Jeannette
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Oh... Reply with quote
and also so 'we don't have to write the theme song ourselves, but on one condition, you must make a 60-90 second version of your song to fit as well.'

I wonder if it might be a two for one for the Japanese anime and music industry, because without local talent or groups seen on Japanese MTV, the anime may have to use American songs instead?

PS. If you could see a storyboard (s) for your favorite anime series openers and enders, what anime would it be.
PPS. Do the songs fit the opening/closing anime sequences at the start and end credits. Speaking of which...for example, in the opening sequence to the first saga of Bleach, while Orange Range sings stuff about being your own light (hikari) or something like that, we see the Bleach characters in several kinds of outfits and styles, even a 60s look at one point, plus I think there's a scene where Ichigo's sisters 'tag' the camera with spray paint. Does the song 'Asterisk' fit the animation...or maybe we should have used a different song instead that conveys the animation scenes right?
PPPS. Do the J-Pop bands get to see some making of the opening/ending animation being made, or do they to wait till TX Networks (TV Tokyo, TV Osaka, TVh, etc. screen the anime?
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
It's generally used as a way to promote artists.

Or one of the cast who's looking to break into music.
TidalWave_Jeannette
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you say so. BTW, I'm curious...would it be nice to actually find a storyboard or script for an anime opening and end sequence?

PS. BTW, for one of the endings of Bleach (during some of the Bount episodes), would an edited version of 'Shut 'Em Down' by Public Enemy fit the length of the visuals? I figured because that song and 'My Pace' might be at the same BPM.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: