Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Godzilla 2000 Question

Godzilla 2000 Question
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Godzilla 2000 Question Reply with quote
Um, this has probably been answered before so I'm sorry to ask again - but is there a reason why the DVD for GODZILLA 2000 only plays with the "questionable" English dub. It's kind of off-putting and more than a little tacky.

Cheers
Jimbo
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A quick use of the search function reveals the answer.

In 2005 Chris wrote:
All our Godzilla materials are direct from Toho. For Godzilla 2000 we were sent the Columbia-Tristar cut from Japan with no Japanese audio available.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you don't mind a 4:3 letterboxed picture and Chinese and English subs appearing at the same time, Universe in Hong Kong released the disc with Japanese audio years back. This one is a re-released version. The original disc would only play English subs with the Cantonese dub. Now you can play the Japanese track with removable Chinese and English subs.
JimboJimboJimbo
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Mr Waffle, Thanks Greoboruri

That solves that Godzilla mystery and now here's another one.

I've just purchased the Madman edition of Godzilla Vs Megalon and noticed that there's no preview thumbnail image on the spine. I wonder if there's a reason for this or if this was a graphic designer oversight?

Has there ever been a English / English dub documentary produced on the history and production of the Godzilla series. That's something I would truly love to see.

Cheers
Jimbo
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JimboJimboJimbo wrote:
Has there ever been a English / English dub documentary produced on the history and production of the Godzilla series. That's something I would truly love to see.
There's been two as far as I know; "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" produced by the BBC in 1998, not on video as far as I'm aware. The second is called "Bringing Godzilla Down To Size" which appears on the "Rodan/War of the Gargantuas" DVD released by Classic Media in the US in 2008. It was pretty good and ran about an hour. I think this two DVD set is out of print though.
JimboJimboJimbo
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like I'll have to do some serious hunting around. Perhaps with the announcement by Legendary Pictures that a new Godzilla feature is in development, re-issues of previous Godzilla material might enter the market. That would be super sweet.

Cheers
Jimbo
Lexx-2
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, from what i've read, Toho have only made the dubbed version available to English-speaking markets. It's also recut and rescored from what I understand. Maybe they're trying to recoup the money they invested with Sony in the reedit at the time.

I'd LOVE to see Godzilla 1985 hit DVD here. I've only ever seen the American edit with Raymond Burr (and lots of intrusive product placement for Dr Pepper), and would be very interested in comparing both versions.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: