Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Seen FMA, Will Brotherhood be a good buy?

Seen FMA, Will Brotherhood be a good buy?
Author
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Seen FMA, Will Brotherhood be a good buy? Reply with quote
I initially never wanted to watch Brotherhood, being content with the original FMA when Brotherhood was first announced. Having just rewatched FMA with my girlfriend, who is seriously getting into anime, I am considering buying Brotherhood. Is it a worthwhile purchase and would having recently seen the original make Brotherhood harder to enjoy? Is it worth the money to get it?
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, it is worth it. Brotherhood is better in every way than the original.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In what ways is it superior?
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Basically, Brotherhood is an actual adaptation of the original manga, unlike the old series which started making up it's own plot halfway though.

The first 15 or so episodes of Brotherhood will seem like somewhat of a retread of the first half of the old FMA, but after that it'll take a wildly different turn. Basically, it's all your favourite characters from FMA, back in an all new adventure!

This clearly makes me the very best, like no one ever was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What Saiyaman said. Oddly enough having watched the first anime can help in one regard. There's one story in the manga that was adapted in the first anime (the one with the corrupt mine owner) but skipped in Brotherhood though there's a character introduced in it who plays a fairly large role later on.

Also the first episode of Brotherhood is completely new and not from the manga or first anime.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
There's one story in the manga that was adapted in the first anime (the one with the corrupt mine owner) but skipped in Brotherhood though there's a character introduced in it who plays a fairly large role later on.

Well, Yoki does relay the story as a (hilarious) flashback at one point, giving the basic gist of what happens. Razz

But yeah, a lot of the early episodes are a tad more rushed in their storytelling considering that much of the material in them was already covered by the old series.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are the voice actors different or the same?
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends on whether you plan to watch dub or sub.

Most of the dub cast is the same, but there's a few exceptions such as Al, Scar, Dr. Marcoh and Hohenheim off the top of my head.

Most of the Japanese cast is new, however it still has the original Ed, Al, Hughes, Armstrong and Bradley.

The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Almost all the English voices are the same; Scar's VA is different, and obviously Alphonse has changed, although his VA is coming back in another role. The two Japanese Eliric VAs are the same, but there's more difference in the rest of the cast than the English dub.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was thinking about the English version. Why has Al's obviously changed?
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Puberty. They had a real 12 year old boy the first time. Razz

UncaBou
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My feeling is that the original series, in the episodes that cover the manga, sets up the plot and characters in a superior way to Brotherhood. I can understand that the producers in working on the new adaptation could not repeat old ground on an all new broadcast series; however the first season of Brotherhood is in my view a mildly clumsy handling of the early story. Having seen the original series really helps the viewer better understand the characters.
The exclusive story components in original series are likewise very well developed and executed. I would imagine the creator had some influence in the direction the story takes as it feels consistent and maintains the attraction in all episodes. The story in the original series comes to an end with the movie "Conqueror of Shamballa", which is in my view a little confusing at the start but comes together for a satisfying conclusion.
It seems to me that the bad guys in FMA-B have a darker evil to them and the series really begins to shine after episode 13.
In relation to music, I loved the character themes and main themes of the original (not talking about openers or closers here) and as good as the music second series is there was something very special about the original.
FMA-B is produced in High-def 16x9 aspect while the original is 4x3 (Academy) aspect with the movie as 16x9.
If you loved the original series you will also love Brotherhood. There are aspects I prefer from each but apart from the first 15 or so episodes, these are two different developments of the story which in itself is interesting to compare.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all of the input guys. I shall definately have to put away to get Brotherhood.
Blazemanau
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
my advice on brotherhood would be wait untill at least the first 3 collections come out then start buying it

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: