Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Cooking, Food and Recipe Thread - What are you eating now?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Cooking, Food and Recipe Thread - What are you eating now?
Author
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Cooking, Food and Recipe Thread - What are you eating now? Reply with quote
At the risk sounding really domesticated, I started to take on the idea of learning how to cook various traditional dishes. Partly because I miss some of the meals my grandma cooked back in Europe, and also because I just want to eat properly (instead of relying on take-away or restaurants - not cheap).

I already know a couple of recipes, but I wouldn't mind expanding my horizons. In a nutshell, I'm on the lookout for some decent and relatively easy to do recipes. Particularly Asian dishes like Pho and Sushi, etc.

Currently I'm cooking up a Kangaroo goulash. Should be a nice treat. Razz

What's going on in your kitchen?
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just had a chicken schnitzel sandwich with lettuce, cheese and parmesan cheese-flavoured sauce. It was much yummy. Very Happy
Liete87
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had a chili cheeseburger with bacon cheddar fries and a coke for supper
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You've just answered my prayers with this thread, Tachi.

I cooked a vegan stir-fry last night. It consisted of stir-fry vegetables, udon noodles, and a honey, garlic and soy simmer sauce. It was really easy to make as well, albeit that I didn't have a big enough hotplate and the 'bringing it all together' part took about 4x as long as it should have, but it was still awesome. Something else that I can cook for my vegan friend next year. I'll post the recipe for the vegan noodle stir-fry later, once I've written it up.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had some good old dim sims for lunch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quick question, what to do vegans use as a substitute for eggs in pastry? I am thinking of making Hungarian Plum Dumplings for my friend (who happen to be a vegan), but it's a bit difficult without the eggs.
Awex
Shana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had pupadums (left over from last night's dinner) and a bag of pretzels for breakfast.
^_^
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last thing I had to eat was a cold meat and salad sandwich for lunch. But with the cold meat I cut two pieces, put on some cheese spread and a little wholegrain mustard, stuck them together and then grilled them before putting them on the sandwich. Surprisingly nice.

I can cook though a lot of what I do involves pre-packaged sauces and recipe bases. My most original dish is my pan-grilled steak and chips.
Take one non-stick pan and add olive oil (how much depends on how much steak and what sort you're cooking), garlic and herbs to taste (I use a pre-mix) and heat.
Once the pan is hot add steak, turning as needed until cooked to taste.
Now this is the important part. You should have a bit of oil and fried herbs and garlic at the bottom of the pan. Mix this with your gravy powder and then add hot water until desired consistency is achieved. This is some of the best chip gravy I've ever encountered.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
Quick question, what to do vegans use as a substitute for eggs in pastry? I am thinking of making Hungarian Plum Dumplings for my friend (who happen to be a vegan), but it's a bit difficult without the eggs.

"Egg substitute". I think it's mostly gluten.
isk8er
Ranpha Franboise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh Tachi Tachi Tachi! Goulash is just about the worst Hungarian dish around. For shame! Razz And kangaroo?? Where's the hare or pork, my friend? Very Happy

My grandma used to make the meanest Hungarian grub around (until she developed Alzheimers and had to be put in a home...)
Nowadays my dad is the man for the mean cooking, and I gotta tell you, his csirkepaprikás, bab főzelék, and lángos (mmmm, Hungarian donut) are fantastically fabulous. Of course he can't make grandma's dobos torta, but what can you do?

Everyone here needs to try a proper Hungarian breakfast. Thick slices of white toast, loads of butter, covered with.... Hungarian salami!!

Need an avatar? PM me if you want to use one!
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
"Egg substitute". I think it's mostly gluten.

Freakin' awesome. I may actually be able to make vegan chocolate cake, if I can find any of this 'egg substitute' of which you speak.
Awex
Shana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im eating my favorite personal recipe dinner.
Pork Tacos.
Is thinly sliced pork chops, salted and placed into the taco Shells Topped with Fresh Chopped Lettuce.

Delicious Very Happy
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
Freakin' awesome. I may actually be able to make vegan chocolate cake, if I can find any of this 'egg substitute' of which you speak.

Chocolate cake??

You only need eggs for sponge cakes; anything else, and the gluten in the wheat flour will hold it together quite well enough. I think my sister -- mad vegan cake baker -- recommends adding extra oil to make it "moister", but my cake-baking skills are pretty pants.

Vegan mudcake is pretty traditional, nowadays.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fried rice, little bits of carrot, onion, ham and capsicum, simple yet nice and crunchy also I might add.

Had that for dinner.
filter
Melfina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I cooked a Roast tonight, Roast Chicken with Baked spuds, Baked carrot, baked onion, baked parsnip, brocoli, corn and beans, nice easy meal, healthy,
Dragon Flame
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Breakfast was Chilli Cheese Scrambled Eggs, with fresh chives, spring onion and parsley straight from the garden.

From Ulysses, by Lord Alfred Tennyson.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke
ShiningStar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I made chocolate truffles ^^
Mixed together cocoa, coconut, crushed biscuts and sweetened condensed milk, rolled into balls then put them into the fridge...delicious ^^
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Made a salad. Consisted of soy-marinated chicken, spinach leaves, grilled haloumi and roasted pistachio served with a dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and a touch of seasoning. Simple and healthy yet tasty Cool

On the dessert front I recently had a friends birthday with a bit of a pink theme, so I made him a New York style baked strawberry cheesecake ... coloured bright pink lol Shocked Looked a bit intimidating at first ... but then lasted about 5 mins Wink
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
isk8er wrote:
Oh Tachi Tachi Tachi! Goulash is just about the worst Hungarian dish around. For shame! Razz And kangaroo?? Where's the hare or pork, my friend? Very Happy

My grandma used to make the meanest Hungarian grub around (until she developed Alzheimers and had to be put in a home...)
Nowadays my dad is the man for the mean cooking, and I gotta tell you, his csirkepaprikás, bab főzelék, and lángos (mmmm, Hungarian donut) are fantastically fabulous. Of course he can't make grandma's dobos torta, but what can you do?

Everyone here needs to try a proper Hungarian breakfast. Thick slices of white toast, loads of butter, covered with.... Hungarian salami!!

I usually use beef for Goulash but you can use just about any meat you want. Worst hungarian dish? Hell no! It's one of my favs. Go fishing and put the kettle on the open fire, then let it cook slowly during the day. It's the best!

How do you make Langos? I miss that one too!
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
we just had satay chicken (i had to use peanut butter as i was out of any stir-through sauces) with stir fried veggies and beef and mushroom rice...
Dragon Flame
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For tea we're having mince and mashed potato fritters with tomato, spring onion, cheese and capsicum.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had my specially made taco's tonight and mum did me some lemon coconut slice and peanut cookies when she was at my place recently. Very Happy

She also did a special chocolate cake that was pretty nice till the heat melted the icing and ruined the cake. Sad

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
She also did a special chocolate cake that was pretty nice till the heat melted the icing and ruined the cake. Sad

Which is why you let the cake cool before icing it.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
[..]

Which is why you let the cake cool before icing it.

No. It melted due to mum leaving it on top of the stove as she was doing the peanut cookies and lemon coconut slice in the oven. We had it covered and it pretty damn steamy in there since the stove gets hot when we use the oven.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
anime_queen
Li Syaoran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Made a black and bean sauce stir fry tonight.
I love cooking!
I'll try to make just about anything; if I can afford it. Since I've moved away from home, I've been cooking my meals and staying away from take-out food.
My favorite meal to make is Nachos; since I barely ate Nachos when I lived at home.

Favorite dessert to make is Lemon Meringue Pie. I would love to make one now and share it with everyone Razz!!
I make the best Lemon Meringue Pies hehe!

lordCONAN
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:

I cooked a vegan stir-fry last night. It consisted of stir-fry vegetables, udon noodles, and a honey, garlic and soy simmer sauce.

Doesn't sound very vegan with honey in it ...

I've recently been making taco rice, which is pretty easy. I also do yakisoba every so often, and green curry.

On weekends, when I have more time I like to throw together a lasagna, or something that I need to bake, bread or the likes.
"...Seeing that you speak Japanese, they will wag their heads and smile condescendingly, and admit to each other that you are really quite intelligent - much as we would do in the presence of a pig or an ape of somewhat unusual attainments."
(Basil Hall Chamberlain, 1904)
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lordCONAN wrote:
Doesn't sound very vegan with honey in it ...

Hmm...you've got a point there. Sounds a bit on the cusp, I'll have to ask my friend whether it qualifies as vegan or not. I don't classify insects as animals.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
Hmm...you've got a point there. Sounds a bit on the cusp, I'll have to ask my friend whether it qualifies as vegan or not. I don't classify insects as animals.

Well, they are animals. I think it's quite black and white with vegans, they don't eat anything derived from animals.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
anime_queen wrote:

I make the best Lemon Meringue Pies hehe!

You must make me some!
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
[..]

Insects are animals; most vegans won't eat bees. Or wear silk, generally [silk production traditionally involves boiling insects alive; the same is true for certain red food colourings].

Honey's a bit of a special case, though. Normally, animal products are produced as part of a process that harms said animals, or as a byproduct of processes that harm animals [fifty percent of all chicks hatched for egg production are male; production of milk includes production of "surplus" calves; even wool production is normally an integrated process with production of meat]. But... the commercial production of honey doesn't actually harm bees any. You don't kill them, you don't maim them, you don't even interfere terribly in their natural life cycle. So a lot of vegans -- by no means all -- think, "it's not a problem there, it's nothing I object to".
Dragon Flame
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
Insects are animals; most vegans won't eat bees.

I don't know many people who would eat bees. Razz

As for me I am making Apple Slice, because my Grandma gave me a whole load of apples, and there are too many for us to eat.

Liete87
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If a vegan steps on a bug does it make them sad?
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, it makes them dead.

Oh... you mean the vegan...
~:Sakura:~
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Honey Soy marinated chicken wings and steamed corns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shinji 3.141
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For lunch today I had a type L-5 field ration (don’t try looking it up, it’s my own design for a small, light, non perishable, high energy meal pack) and some bush tucker (hehehe, free food straight from the loving bosom of Mother Nature. Very Happy )

Play Star Trek Online or Star Citizen? The Ausmonauts!
isk8er
Ranpha Franboise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
How do you make Langos? I miss that one too!

I'll find the recipe... It's somewhere in the kitchen. Otherwise (knowing my memory) I will tell you the instructions and you'll end up with limp pancakes instead of garlicky fried goodness.

Btw, a fabulous Hungarian restaurant in Sydney (if anyone is interested and game enough) is Corner 75 in Randwick. Get the langos and the Wiener schnitzel!

Jaden1
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spaghetti with Oil, Garlic and Kabana

500g spaghetti
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, crushed
4 sticks kabana sausage, sliced (smoked kabana is nicer than plain kabana)
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
hot chilli powder to taste
freshly ground black pepper
extra chopped parsley
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

1. Cook spaghetti according to instructions on packet.
2. While spaghetti is cooking heat oil in a fry pan and fry garlic over a low heat till golden (1-2 minutes)
3. Add kabana, parsley, chilli powder and cook for a further 3 minutes. Drain spaghetti and immediately mix in kabana mixture in a heated serving bowl. Season with black pepper, mix well and serve piping hot with added parsley and parmesan cheese.

Serves 4-6

We usually add the parmesan with the chilli powder and kabana, and mix it into the spaghetti instead of putting it on top.
anime_queen
Li Syaoran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
isk8er wrote:
[..]

I'll find the recipe... It's somewhere in the kitchen. Otherwise (knowing my memory) I will tell you the instructions and you'll end up with limp pancakes instead of garlicky fried goodness.

Btw, a fabulous Hungarian restaurant in Sydney (if anyone is interested and game enough) is Corner 75 in Randwick. Get the langos and the Wiener schnitzel!

We should go together. I want to take my boyfriend to a Hungarian Restaurant and get him to like traditional hungarian food because I don't know how to make them for him XD!!
But, I'm surprised you like Langos. I'm full blooded hungarian and think the Langos is a bit bland.
How do you like to have it?
Generally, I like to spread sour cream all over it hehe.

Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm curious now how many people are Hungarian or PART Hungarian? Shocked
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm hungarian........no wait, i'm just hungry Razz
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
we had homemade soup - it's one of those that you basically throw in whatever you have floating around...
tonight we had potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, beans, diced bacon, chicken noodle soup satchet and i think that was it...yummy
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A kurva életbe! Hát mennyi Magyarok vannak ezen a fórumon?
isk8er
Ranpha Franboise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hahaha, more than enough I'd say!

Still digging around for the recipe; I seem to have lost my little cookbook. Will get back to you very soon.

anime_queen wrote:
I'm full blooded hungarian and think the Langos is a bit bland.
How do you like to have it?
Generally, I like to spread sour cream all over it hehe.

Bland!?!?! You're obviously not rubbing enough garlic on it!! And yes, sour cream.... LOTS of sour cream! Very Happy

Blaze
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had stuffed capsicum soup.

Recepie:

Cut the top off 4 to 6 red capsicums, cleaning out the seeds inside.
Then in a bowl mix some pork or beef mince, rice, egg, half a table spoon of salt and tablespoon of paprika. When the ingredients are combined shove the mixture into the capsicum and place them in a cooking pot standing upright so that the opened top of the capsicum is facing you. Pour some warm water into the cooking pot so that its a little bit over the capsicums. Cook for about an hour or until the rice is cooked.
You add some salt according to taste. Only use red capsicums!!!
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was time for the weekly nutritionally-required meat product tonight, and I thought that the vegetarian pizza looked generally unwell, so I had chicken. And fried rice, and this stuff that I don't know what it is, but it looks like coleslaw. And the way res tea is, I'm better off not knowing what it is.

And apple pie. And chocolate mousse. Really looking forward to making another stirfry on Friday as well.
anime_queen
Li Syaoran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
A kurva életbe! Hát mennyi Magyarok vannak ezen a fórumon?

Haha! Wow, that's pretty good Hungarian! I won't be telling the whole forum what you just said though Razz
Hungarian swear words are alot worse then the english ><"
Sometimes, when my dad swears its just so offensive I have to tell him to calm down lol...

I'll be making pork chops with a greek salad tonight. Mmmmm...can't wait hehe...
See that's the problem with being Hungarian...I'm actually hungry all the time and I love food so much ><""

BRASS10
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My friend is holding a surprise party on the weekend, does anyone know any good punch recipies?
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
BRASS10 wrote:
My friend is holding a surprise party on the weekend, does anyone know any good punch recipies?

Alcoholic or non-alcoholic punch?
BRASS10
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alcoholic, but if u have a non alcoholic its easy to change that Laughing
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BRASS10 wrote:
Alcoholic, but if u have a non alcoholic its easy to change that Laughing

Well. This all depends on how much you want to make. We usually make it in a bin. Protip: wash the bin before you make the punch. The thing with punch is that it's like curry: you can use cheap meat and cover it with a strong sauce to mask that fact. In other words, you can get away with using cheap booze. So you get fruit juice (usually mango, but pretty much anything goes), vodka, midori, and cheap cask wine (substitute slang name here), and combine them all in a 1:0.5:0.5:0.5 ratio. Adjust ratios according to desired strength. Add ice.

Be warned though, last time I drank punch was the second-worst hangover that I've ever had. It doesn't taste really great, imo, but if you've been drinking beforehand, it doesn't make much difference.

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: