Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

New look website - www.madman.com.au

Goto page 1, 2  Next
New look website - www.madman.com.au
Author
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: New look website - www.madman.com.au Reply with quote
check it out Very Happy

http://www.madman.com.au/
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks awesome. The layout is really nice, big improvement over the previous one.
Spritza
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Madman. Mad about entertainment.

I like it, is that a new tagline? Very Happy

Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind...
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks awesome but can no longer access it properly at work (proberly shouldn't be accessing madman at work anyway Razz) site takes a long time to load pages but I am guessing that has to do with the fact that my work computer still runs IE6 (and no way to change that). Looking forward to when I get home from work this afternoon so I can explore the website properly.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ehhh, i like the old one. This is all too new and shiny. Get off my lawn.

Seriously though, it's a pretty nice layout, easy to read. Though i don't like change unless necessary or get dragged kicking and screaming Razz but really it's a nice and easy streamlined look. I guess that new web guy was put to the test Razz
Renton7
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely little lumps.

Slykura wrote:
check it out Very Happy

I drive these brothers crazy,
I do it on the daily,
They treat me really nicely,
They buy me all these ice-ys.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I wondered why I couldn't visit the site this morning. Nice change. So sleek and shiny. Razz
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Madboards now have the MM logo icon. Is that part of the makeover? It use to have an icon years ago.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I noticed that the favicon had changed to the current madman logo one.
krysinello
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the new theme, looks awesome.

Only problem I've seen so far is that Sports and Lifestyle link overlaps with the search area, while nothing too bad, it's something that could easily be fixed.
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally, I don't really like it. The screen seems sort of cluttered. I liked the old one better, it was easier to navigate and nicer to look at.
Lisa86
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wasnt the "old one" just done up last year or something.
not a fan off the new look.
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
astro98 wrote:
Personally, I don't really like it. The screen seems sort of cluttered. I liked the old one better, it was easier to navigate and nicer to look at.

This... I don't see why they had to change it. -_-

Seems like the new thing for websites is getting rid of the side bar and giving us annoying drop down menus... this is the third website that I use regularly thats changed to this style in the last month. Confused
All the ghosts that broke my heart!
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
After having a good look at it, everything seems less.......defined?

On the main page and similar pages, all the different sections just don't really stand out from one another. With the old one, it was better sectioned and easy to see at a glance.

The listings for the catalogue, et al are a little plain on the "list", without the alternating colour lines/bars for each row. The detailed view is a little too spaced out.

Will take some adjusting but i do prefer the older style too. Really, a visual facelift would have been preferred over a more in depth design change.

One thing that the new design allows is more screen space for stuff, without the sidebar but really, it wasn't that bad to begin with, heck it worked fine when viewing on my netbook and that's only 8.9"
Jaden1
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Things definately load much much slower now. The Madboards link seems to be missing from the Fanzone, unless I missed it.

I DO like the fact that you've included the Madblogs/News into the Fanzone though.

Will reserve my final judgement for a couple of weeks from now.. to see if I get used to it, or decide to hate it.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still on dial up and it's definitely taking about least twice as long to load up the page.

The Madboards is the Fanzone drop down menu. The 4th one done on the left.

It's a lot more flashy looking and the problems mention in the above posts appear to have been fixed from what I can tell.

An awfull amount of content on the home page. I didn't mind the previous one and this one will take some time to get used to.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the new top of the page, and the bigger ad slideshow at the top but beneath that...I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Astro;

astro98 wrote:

Cluttered was the word I thought of first, once past the slideshow (and, awesome! Madman have The 5th Element?! Now I wanna go dig up my copy!) bloody confusing at a glance, coming in a close second.

While "at a glance" may not be the best way to 'view' a webpage to some, it's the way I casually browse, and if it looks cluttered and confusing at a glance to me I'm less likely to hang around and navigate my way through the page more...It doesn't help the lower portions of the page that the top bit, that I first see, is very nicely arranged and streamlined. Probably in the future I won't look much below the slideshow, and just use the search function.
animeinfo
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah its great piece of work.

From my view of a web designer I this one better from the other one.
Low Lines
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Being and IT student studying at uni and having all these standards and requirements burned into my skull, I'm kind of disappointed in the new site particularly from a developers point of view.

It does not follow the layered enhancement model in that say for instance if you have Javascript disabled the nice big "latest" ads block thing (which is quite awesome when it all works) doesn't have anything to fall back to leaving you with a little "loading" bar that does nothing. Also I had a hard time navigating through the site with CSS disabled, the HTML should be laid out in a logical way so that say for instance a screen reader is able to navigate with little difficultly. Finally validating the homepage using the Firefox Web Developer Tool results in a total of 260 errors and 2 warnings, which might be hell for older or less compatible browsers to try and display properly.

Visually though it is pretty damn awesome except for the fact that the section headers don't stand out enough, making the content just appear as one big blob of text. One suggestion is to use effective imagery in the headers to make it easy to identify what's what, ie Latest News could have a newspaper, or In Cinemas could have two movie tickets or maybe a film role.

As a student, we are being constantly told that businesses won't even hire us if we don't follow web standards these days, which is why I'm being overly picky here.

[edit]

Just a few things I remembered after writing this...
Its actually called "Progressive Enhancement", though it still means the same thing. Basically its where HTML sits in the HTML file, CSS sits in the CSS and Javascript sits in a JS etc

The other thing is most of those errors are encoding errors. All that needs to be done to fixs those is to change all uses of "&" to "&" in the PHP code. Even though it's a trivial thing, its more about following standards than anything, ie if we had a handful of Anime distributors with their own standards, you don't get that consistency like you would buying all your anime from Madman :p
Spritza
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woah it's like magic! Looks like our boards just got a refresh as well... O_O

They seem faster, wonder if there are any new features etc? O.o

The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've still got a tab open with the old look, I'll see what'st different. It's probably just a cosmetic change.
Sleepless Beauty
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everything seems slightly larger... or brighter. And having everything more spaced apart, making the page longer is annoying. Also, I liked the old background better... the white of the boards doesn't blend with the new background... its a bit of a stark contrast and kinda distracting. Neutral

I know I'm grumbling, I just don't see why they had to change it.
All the ghosts that broke my heart!
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's just a fresh coat of paint, it's still the same carpy old forum software. /wrists
Spritza
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I keep scrolling down to the bottom of the page to make a post and getting lost in all the information that now sits down there... is it all nessesary Confused

StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
It's just a fresh coat of paint, it's still the same carpy old forum software. /wrists

It'd be nice if they could apply the most recent security patches, at least. Sad

Also, a bug: The font for the post message body is Courier. Please fix.

EDIT: Also, there seems to be an issue with the cell spacing on the forum index pages in Firefox. There just seems like there's too much space between each topic in the list. On the other hand, it looks fine in Mobile Safari, so... I dunno.

Overall, though, I like the new look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh hello... suddenly everything looks pretty around here. Tachi approves.

Some feedback:

Bit of CSS polishing needed in some places. Margin and padding around some forum elements is lacking. For example, quote text, buttons above the post box, etc. Not sure whether that's intentional.

I think the font size for the forum categories/thread headings is disproportional compared to the font size used for the posts. Reduce the former by a notch and increase the latter by a notch.

Overall, nice work, give your web monkey some food as a reward.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^^ I agree with the text size issue. Overall I like the look though.
Travku
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There used to be the link to go straight back to the Madboards directly under the bottom of each page, it is still present at the top (eg. Madman Madboards > News & Announcements) but down the bottom it is now a drop down menu.

I'm using IE and some things look really squashed (like the emoticons on the left) whilst other things almost seem to have too much space.

I was pretty used to the older styled format of the site so it may just be a case of me getting used to this one.

Regarding the main Madman site, one change that hasn't been put into place which would be really good as well as immensely popular is that the product prices are still pretty much the same. If you could round them all to around the $10 mark that would be much appreciated, could that be done within the next day or so please? Thanks Razz
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Travku wrote:
There used to be the link to go straight back to the Madboards directly under the bottom of each page, it is still present at the top (eg. Madman Madboards > News & Announcements) but down the bottom it is now a drop down menu.

I don't recall what is was like when you posted that, but now at the top and bottom of the white part of the page, there's a row of graphics like what was there before (eg. "The Madman Madboards > News & Announcements" is visible on the post reply page right now). Unfortunately, they are also pale-coloured and fade into the background. Perhaps change them to a contasting colour, with strong letter colouring will make them stand out, for easy navigation.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Travku wrote:

It's still there, it's just down further.

The huge gaps with the link backs is a bit too great for my liking.
The topic title is far too large as well. Everything is just spaced too far apart, the text seems a little smaller too, well i noticed it on my netbook
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Muscle memory is gonna kill me for weeks now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, i know what you mean Neutral

The main issue for me i've found is that all Topic titles, forum and thread link titles are all in capitals, which just makes it look terrible.

Also i think the overall spacings between lines and said links as above are a bit too big.
slasher000
BT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks great. It took me a little bit to find were the links were located but i love it now. And now that i have adsl 2 its loads real fast which is great
astro98
Kuu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't want to complain again, but, I am really hating this new Madboards layout. Once again, the old one was much better. It was simple and it was easy to use and look at. I think the new lettering and background looks terrible.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The background aint too bad, though I agree with the font. IT is a bit unsightly and just the spacing isn't right. Don't need to have thread/forum and topic titles in capital letters =/
dl
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ugh. The new forum font is annoying to look at, can we have it changed back please?
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
spoiler tags don't work either i just found out.

stuff in spoils here
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, I don't come on for a few days and this is what happens? The fanzone seems to be fine, love the dropdown folders. Makes everything neater and cleaner.

Not liking the squished emoticons, otherwise, from what I can tel, it appears to be fine, though I'll reserve final judgment for another week or so and see how things go.

@ Lowlines - hiya, how have you been?

@ Speedy - whilst replying here, i noticed that the spoiler tag is infact working, though it wasn't before I replied. Mayhap they've fixed it?

EDIT - nope, still not working, though \I'm curious as to why it was working whilst in the reply area?
Spritza
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wonder if our feedback will be acknowledged? Or is it one of those cases where we just have to learn to live with it...

simantic
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys, spoilers should now be working Smile

See? Sorry about the mishap

A different stylesheet is being applied in the reply area, which is why it was working there.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm love a new version of phpbb too Razz
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
I'm still on dial up and it's definitely taking about least twice as long to load up the page.

The Madboards is the Fanzone drop down menu. The 4th one done on the left.

It's a lot more flashy looking and the problems mention in the above posts appear to have been fixed from what I can tell.

An awfull amount of content on the home page. I didn't mind the previous one and this one will take some time to get used to.

Holy cow you still have dial-up and this will probably be murder to your modem trying to load the page.

I have to say to any NEW websites to eliminate any pop-up banners as banners are murder for downloading speeds.
No banners the better.

@Jester I think you need to take a baseball bat to you modem and smash it to pieces (once you go to broadband that is), as once you go to broadband you don't wanna go back to slow dial-up. Laughing

Yeah I have to get use to it, as some of things look strange.
The Emoticons looks smaller now or is that my imagination that the page looks wider but things are shrinking. Laughing
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised that people still use dial-up these days.
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My only REAL complaint is the fact you got so much stuff at the BOTTOM of the page eg credit cards, newsletters, etc
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
Holy cow you still have dial-up and this will probably be murder to your modem trying to load the page.

I have to say to any NEW websites to eliminate any pop-up banners as banners are murder for downloading speeds.
No banners the better.

@Jester I think you need to take a baseball bat to you modem and smash it to pieces (once you go to broadband that is), as once you go to broadband you don't wanna go back to slow dial-up.

My pre-paid $20 card will last me up to 3 months with dial-up and I can't be bothered to go to broadband. Hell, I haven't used my mobile phone in nearly 6 months.

One day I may be bothered and go broadband, but at present, I'm not bothered.

After being on the madboards for a while tonight, I've noticed that I'm starting to get a headache and I lay the blame to the new squashed format.

Having the black on the sides is most likely a big part of that. This is on top of the smaller font which is making me move my face closer to the screen in order to see the writing better.

PLEASE get rid of the black border and bring the old madboards page back. This is too damn annoying and will make me only look at the madboards for a greatly reduced time. I don't need migrains every time I come here. It's not worth it.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Currently not liking how that you can only log out on the main madboards page, where you could use to find it on every page.
Spritza
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kbz333 wrote:
Currently not liking how that you can only log out on the main madboards page, where you could use to find it on every page.

This also applies to any pm's as well... your inbox can only be accessed from the main page Mad

Kalgar
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why is there a post new topic button next to the reply button?

I foresee many an accidental new thread...

http://kalgar-ramblingsofageek.blogspot.com/ - my blog
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's always been like that, only this time they've been reversed.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've clicked on New Topic a couple of times by accident. Luckily it prompts for a topic subject (if you leave it blank) if you try to post it.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I've done it too. "New Topic" shouldn't even be available inside a thread imo.

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: