Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

OMGZ

OMGZ
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: OMGZ Reply with quote
omg.. my wish list/padded cell on madman is starting to spiral out of control lol what started out as just buying naruto dvds because i got sick of the re runs on tv has crossed over other titles >.< i havnt been on in a while and i just spent $280 in about 5 minutes.. whats up with the volumes of k-on and vampire knight? why cant they just be in collection box sets? if you work it out u are paying more for a full collection then just buying a boxsex collection ""eye twitching"" my tally now is at 3 grand at madman that probly dsont sound like much to most people because here im shre alot of you buy anime for collections but it is rather expensive for a hobby
idk where i was going with this Smile just rambling i do ahve 1 question though.

i know that pirating dvd is illigal and most people stay away from it, but is watching anime online the same as piracy? i alway wondered about this i have watched a tone of pokemon dragonball and a few other short series that madman dont have online
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
Hellion wrote:
.. whats up with the volumes of k-on and vampire knight? why cant they just be in collection box sets? if you work it out u are paying more for a full collection then just buying a boxsex collection ""eye twitching"" my tally now is at 3 grand at madman that probly dsont sound like much to most people because here im shre alot of you buy anime for collections but it is rather expensive for a hobby

Madman used to do individual volume releases for everything, or at the very least, most things. It's how everything was done, even regular TV shows, there has been a shift to full series/seasons collections because it is more cost effective for the consumer but there are those that do prefer the box collections such as myself.

Those that are in individual releases are really only those that are worthwhile series that will make their money back, or have a better chance of making the money back on the licence sooner I would think, seeing as a good portion now is half season collections.

Obviously you can wait till the full season collection is released of course Wink

Hellion wrote:

i know that pirating dvd is illigal and most people stay away from it, but is watching anime online the same as piracy?

If you're going for stuff outside of legal streaming by companies, then yes, it is.
secret secrety secret
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
[quote="Hellion"] buying a boxsex collection

sorry but tee hee he said a naughty word
krysinello
Kuu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
Hellion wrote:
omg.. my wish list/padded cell on madman is starting to spiral out of control lol what started out as just buying naruto dvds because i got sick of the re runs on tv has crossed over other titles >.< i havnt been on in a while and i just spent $280 in about 5 minutes.. whats up with the volumes of k-on and vampire knight? why cant they just be in collection box sets? if you work it out u are paying more for a full collection then just buying a boxsex collection ""eye twitching"" my tally now is at 3 grand at madman that probly dsont sound like much to most people because here im shre alot of you buy anime for collections but it is rather expensive for a hobby
idk where i was going with this Smile just rambling i do ahve 1 question though.

i know that pirating dvd is illigal and most people stay away from it, but is watching anime online the same as piracy? i alway wondered about this i have watched a tone of pokemon dragonball and a few other short series that madman dont have online

I'm glad I got my wishlist to below $5000 again. Currently at $3600. It's a never ending battle Razz. My $2000 Christmas orders did help that alot though. (still tackling that mountain)

As for watching online, eh, I'll watching stuff on Chrunchy Roll sometimes. Other stuff not released, while technically piracy and illegal, I'm kinda meh too, cause it's the only way we can watch most of the time, besides learning Japanese and buying from Japan. Although if anything gets localised and released, I'd go for that for sure, I think anything that you can get that's been officially released in your language you should buy rather then watch online, and I don't like people who just stream and download, and claim themselves to be an anime fan, and not support the industry.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
Hellion wrote:
whats up with the volumes of k-on and vampire knight? why cant they just be in collection box sets?

Perhaps that's because that's how they're being released in the United States?

Last edited by OniV2 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
krysinello wrote:

I'm glad I got my wishlist to below $5000 again.

I've long forgone that, it gets too depressing to think about how much I want Razz

krysinello wrote:
while technically piracy and illegal,

No techincality about it, it just is.

krysinello wrote:
I don't like people who just stream and download, and claim themselves to be an anime fan, and not support the industry.

Without turning this into a debate, you really can't place conditions of being called an "anime fan". If they love watching anime and get into it, then they're a fan, simple as that. How one obtains and buys/does not buy their anime (or if they buy merch) doesn't matter.

It does however make them a bad person or not if they do such things without really making an effort to do the "right thing"
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
No techincality about it, it just is.

Well I have heard it said that using proxy servers and the like to bypass geolocking for otherwise legitimate streaming (some Crunchyroll stuff, Funimation, Hulu) is technically illegal if not piracy per se but anyone who condemns people for doing that is an ass.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:

I've long forgone that, it gets too depressing to think about how much I want

It's depressing for me how much you want as well! Smile
krysinello
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
[..]

Without turning this into a debate, you really can't place conditions of being called an "anime fan". If they love watching anime and get into it, then they're a fan, simple as that. How one obtains and buys/does not buy their anime (or if they buy merch) doesn't matter.

It does however make them a bad person or not if they do such things without really making an effort to do the "right thing"

That's just my opinion, I think you should support what you love, if you love anime enough to watch a lot of it, buy it(or at least watch it by legal means like legit streaming sites etc that do provide support the the industry), support what you like. It's just one of the things that annoy me about a lot of the anime fan community, they apparently "love it" but obviously not enough to spend a bit of money on. I didn't really mean to place conditions, but more like express how much it annoys me.

As for the technically illegal... got me there.
Jaden1
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My wish list is $4,905.40, and my collection is $7,690.25.. LOL

I hope that in the next year, the wishlist will decrease significantly, and the collection will correspondingly incease.. thanks to inheritance money I'm currently waiting for.. Wink
Hellion
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i use my wish list as likea guide to buy im buying next i never have more then 2 pages.. im abit ocd about it lol cus i got a bad memory so my wish list isnt more then a few hundred $
but seriously 4,900 thats like half of madman lol
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
[..]

Perhaps that's because that's how they're being released in the United States?

Vampire Knight is definitely being released that way in the US and also the UK. Lucky for us we get a box for each season of Vampire Knight with vol 1. The US and UK don't. The UK has Vampire Knight on 4 dvd's unlike Australia with 3. You can get the first season as a boxset in the UK, but not with vol 1 with box like us.

K-On! doesn't get a box with the US release either, unlike MM's release here. It's individual releases over there as well.

Be happy that you will get a better looking release than the US, though in a lot of cases now, the US releases are looking a lot more superior to MM's. I'm refering the Funimation's boxsets to MM's normal dvd cases.

If I have to put a figure on my total expenditure on anime/manga and related products. I'm looking around the $40 000 mark. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hellion wrote:

Not really, just a portion of what they have Razz
Hellion
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:

when i was younger i was a keen comic collector so i know how frustrating collecting manga will be so i just save myself anxiety and just watch anime
slasher000
BT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hellion wrote:
i use my wish list as likea guide to buy im buying next i never have more then 2 pages.. im abit ocd about it lol cus i got a bad memory so my wish list isnt more then a few hundred $

My wishlist is currently sitting at 427 items at $14,457.65 and my collection is at 459 items at $12,593.75.

and thats only including what madman actually sells. i have a lot of manga that madman dont have which would increase my collection.

the main problem i have is that my wishlist doesnt ever go down. cause im always adding more to it so when ever i buy something i dont notice a change.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: OMGZ Reply with quote
Hellion wrote:
[..]

when i was younger i was a keen comic collector so i know how frustrating collecting manga will be so i just save myself anxiety and just watch anime

Problem is that there's a lot of manga that isn't animated and when it is, deviates from the manga. Love Hina and Rurouni Kenshin are good examples of this. The anime finishes before the manga.

So don't limit yourself to just anime. You're missing out on a lot of titles that are just bloody addictive. Wink

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: