Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

ARRIETTY Australian release date

ARRIETTY Australian release date
Author
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: ARRIETTY Australian release date Reply with quote
According to the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com),ARRIETTY will be released in Australia in January 2012. Very Happy

No exact day of release is mentioned. Could someone from Madman please confirm this?
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woohoo!

ANN has the US trailer ; which I just watched. Actually the first I've seen of Arrietty and I'm quite impressed.

The story seems like typical Ghibli brilliance and even if we get that dub, I'd be happy; though I would still like the British dub Wink
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SVanD wrote:
Woohoo!

ANN has the US trailer ; which I just watched. Actually the first I've seen of Arrietty and I'm quite impressed.

The story seems like typical Ghibli brilliance and even if we get that dub, I'd be happy; though I would still like the British dub Wink

Much better than what I had expected from the cast, doesn't say much though, I really want the UK cast, and I'm still not that keen on the US dub (Still, I repeat that it's better than my extremely minuscule expectations, but doesn't mean I think it's great)

I dunno maybe it's just because I've already seen the Japanese dub and compared it to that. But the same happened with Ponyo and I still liked that dub (Except for Noah Cyrus as Ponyo though.)

Long story short- Bleagh, I personally wants the UK dub in cinemas and UK or both for DVD/BD if possible Madman~
Of course that could change, I trust the UK cast to do a good dub but that doesn't mean it can't be stuffed up.

EDIT: Wow... Today I feel like one of those big annoying Anti-dub people, please don't look at me like that people D: I like both English Dubs and Japanese Dubs with Subtitles D:
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yay I can't wait for this to come out. I dont really care if its either the British or the American dub.
Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anime Update says January 2012, so there you go. No cast list but looks like the UK dub (probably as expected).

Don't know what to make of the US dub, but damn their trailer is nice.
mikezilla2
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
could just use both dubs ?
Dr.Slump
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to eventcinemas.com.au
Arrietty opens January 12.

Please Madman,get the Palace Nova Cinemas to screen Arrietty in Adelaide.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's up to the cinemas to request to screen it. We have no control over who screens it.
Nakaleen
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't wait, the English dub comes out tomorrow (9th)on Blu-ray. now just got to wait for the shipping Sad

Edit: opps I think this topic is about the Cinema. Looked it up today and was disappointed that Ballarat wont have it (they had Ponyo)
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It will expand to country towns after the city runs. We only have a certain amount of prints so this rolling road show is the only way we can do it.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm hoping that Ipswich, Redbank, Toowoomba, or Warwick will pick it up so I can go see it at the cinema, thinking of taking my sister for her birthday if there is anywhere close enough Very Happy
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
It will expand to country towns after the city runs. We only have a certain amount of prints so this rolling road show is the only way we can do it.

Good to hear Very Happy
Disappointed that the only NSW showings were in sydney but it's good that they will eventually make their way to other cinemas Very Happy
Dr.Slump
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for getting the Palace Nova cinemas in Adelaide to screen it. Very Happy
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indooroopilly are showing Arriety Very Happy plan to see it on the weekend, only thing is that it doesn't say if the sessions are the sub or dub and would prefer to see it subbed but will be happy with whatever release I see.
jedite1000
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dont know why Arrietty isnt in broadmeadows cinema, it it one of the most popular cinema in victoria
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jedite1000 wrote:
dont know why Arrietty isnt in broadmeadows cinema, it it one of the most popular cinema in victoria

Well it's the cinema's choice on whether to screen it or not, Madman just provided the cinemas with the opportunity to screen it I believe
Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
"We have no control over who screens it"
"We only have a certain amount of prints"
Sigh.

Don't blame us it's not playing at x cinema! ...but oh, they may have actually wanted to play it, it may have suited their audience, it may have done well for them. We just won't release it to more cinemas because we don't want to.

Seriously?

I know cinema runs cost lots of money, and more so the bigger the release. I don't think anybody is expecting Hollywood blockbuster treatment, but Arrietty's really just been dumped. It's not just the cinemas it's at - even for a limited / independent release, the advertising (or lack thereof) is pretty abysmal. It really seems as if Madman couldn't care less if Arrietty does well in cinemas, because after all if nobody sees it (or even knows it's out) that just means more DVD sales...

...sorry, I'm just really disappointed to see another Ghibli film get buried. When Disney in the US is doing it ten times better, something is wrong.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
We want to we do. As we mentioned though the cinema has to commit to playing it. Putting it in a cinema that will have no audiences will just a silly use of funds.

We are doing some advertising for it for the appropriate audiences. It's about spending the budget we have wisely targeting the right people. The fact that you already know it's playing means the messages we have done is working.

Please also show me how Disney is doing a better job compared to what we are doing? Keeping in mind the Australian market is 10 times smaller than the US
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
People should just be pleased Madman has not only put it in cinemas, but has provided for fans of both English dubs and Japanese Dubs with subtitles in said cinemas.

Stop complaining about it not being in your cinema, you do actually have time to go see it at a further away cinema, I'm making a trip to go all the way to the city when I have the time and chance, sure I'd love it to be out in my local cinema but I've accepted that it's not going to happen any time soon, and it's not even Madman's fault.

And by the way, good job with even releasing it in cinemas Madman. I also appreciate having more than one screening to choose from Razz
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just saw the first Adelaide screening at the Palace Nova of Arrietty with Japanese audio and English dubs, and liked it more than I expected to.

Not as sad as I was lead to believe, and the audience had a few giggles in places.

Nods to several earlier Ghibli movies as one would expect.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Saw a little clip of the UK dub, a little disappointed in terms of Sho's voice (rather disappointed) but Arrietty's is nice at least, I still will be seeing the dub (because it'd be impossible to drag my friends to a movie that involves reading Rolling Eyes )
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
madchild wrote:
Saw a little clip of the UK dub, a little disappointed in terms of Sho's voice (rather disappointed) but Arrietty's is nice at least, I still will be seeing the dub (because it'd be impossible to drag my friends to a movie that involves reading Rolling Eyes )

I went on my own and talked to a few total strangers (the two next to me had also been to the Ghibli museum).

I might get some friends to the Japanese version yet.
Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
We want to we do. As we mentioned though the cinema has to commit to playing it. Putting it in a cinema that will have no audiences will just a silly use of funds.

We are doing some advertising for it for the appropriate audiences. It's about spending the budget we have wisely targeting the right people. The fact that you already know it's playing means the messages we have done is working.

Thanks for the response Smile

I wanna make it clear (before rant continues below, haha): I do appreciate that the people working on this release are no doubt doing the best they can with the resources they're given, I just think they should have a bit more to work with in the first place.

I know Arrietty is out because I'm a sad enough soul to actually look up the release date >_> Otherwise I probably wouldn't have known about it at all unless I recognised the name in movie listings, or read the Madman newsletter today (which doesn't really count).

Quote:
Please also show me how Disney is doing a better job compared to what we are doing? Keeping in mind the Australian market is 10 times smaller than the US

http://twitter.com/AttackOfTheClaw/status/156997078743138304/photo/1/large
Need I say more?

Seriously though, Disney is releasing Arrietty wide so it's not even comparable. Twitter tells me they have billboards, TV ads, cardboard cutouts in cinemas, trailers before a long list of movies... and it's not coming out for another month over there.

Disney has a huge bank balance they can use for advertising, so it's not a comparison I even want to make, it's simply not fair on you guys. Except to say that it's notable because they've really picked it up vs. earlier Ghibli films. The opposite seems to be true here - and ticket sales will reflect that. If Arrietty does as well as say, Howl's Moving Castle (which I saw an actual trailer for, in an actual cinema, plus posters weeks ahead of time) - I will eat my hat. Razz
kira1000
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a question, when you said that a cinema has to request a film, do you mean the cinema as a whole or each individual branch? Just wondering because none of the cinemas around my area have even HEARD of the film.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
kira1000 wrote:
I have a question, when you said that a cinema has to request a film, do you mean the cinema as a whole or each individual branch? Just wondering because none of the cinemas around my area have even HEARD of the film.

Either or. Cinemas should be able to act independently to acquire rights to screen.
Rod.H
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should go see a screening of this while I can, but I've been literally sitting on a copy of the Japanese BD for months and have yet to watch that.

--Rod.H
"DVD backlog, I haves it"

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: