Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Holy **** Madman licensed Cardcaptor Sakura.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Holy **** Madman licensed Cardcaptor Sakura.
Author
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I almost thought you said you'd seen Cardcaptor Sakura collection 2 for that price for a second there... Razz
CCJ
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
[..]

The actual answer to your question probably lies in different levels of compression applied to an episode, and to the textless openings and endings. Less compression was likely needed to fit the short clips on the disc, thus making them appear to be of a higher quality.

Still, it's on a PAL encoded DVD. You're paying for something only a notch above Standard Definition web streaming. You should expect artefacting and lower quality video overall.

Well I don't think either of you are actually understanding what I'm talking about. You see the textless opening and closings are from the HD remaster converted to PAL resolution, but the episodes are just from the old masters, which have artifacts like dirt and scratches on them (from damage to the animation cells) -Not to mention the obvious colour vibrancy difference!

And may I just say that the episodes and the textless opening and closings are the same resolution and that the production of the tv series was in 4:3 and when remastered was kept in that aspect ratio. Smile
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
To clear things up.

The masters are from HDCAM tapes. They are the HD masters with no filtering done to them.

We did however have some time to tweak the textless openings and endings That was about all the time we had to be able to do this, hence the colour difference etc.
CCJ
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
To clear things up.

The masters are from HDCAM tapes. They are the HD masters with no filtering done to them.

We did however have some time to tweak the textless openings and endings That was about all the time we had to be able to do this, hence the colour difference etc.

Ok I understand now, it came down to time constraints.

So Slykura, will the second set be the same? Or will you have had time to do the filtering on those episodes? 36-70
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CCJ wrote:
And may I just say that the episodes and the textless opening and closings are the same resolution and that the production of the tv series was in 4:3 and when remastered was kept in that aspect ratio. Smile

Yes, but the Blu-Ray masters specifically (as in, the footage from the original remastered footage intended for Blu-Ray authoring) would have been 16:9. 1080p is exclusively a 16:9 resolution (1920x1080, 'true' HD), whilst 1080i can be both widescreen 1920x1080 and 4:3 1440x1080. As is with most 4:3 series that end up on Blu-Ray they just add black bars to the left and right of the image Smile. You'd need to remove that when going back to 4:3 for DVD authoring if you'd been given the Blu-Ray masters, y'know?

As for the filtering, since the show hasn't been completely redrawn (like Serial Experiments Lain), wouldn't it be totally coolies to leave the artefacting from the old masters in there for the actual episodes? I think the filtering was the only complaint most individuals had for Madman's release of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, too.

Last edited by OniV2 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
To clear things up.

Ah ok, so you actually used the original masters that were used to create the Japanese BD's? Rather than say, using the 'remastered' 1080p files?
The aspect ratio of the HDCAM tapes would have been native 4x3 then?
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:

Ah ok, so you actually used the original masters that were used to create the Japanese BD's? Rather than say, using the 'remastered' 1080p files?
The aspect ratio of the HDCAM tapes would have been native 4x3 then?

One would hope, although I do remember 'Blu-Ray masters' being mentioned a few times previously.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
[..]

One would hope, although I do remember 'Blu-Ray masters' being mentioned a few times previously.

Yeah it's a little misleading. Most of the debate would have probably been avoided if the term 'HD masters' was used from the outset rather than 'Blu-Ray masters'. Oh well, what's done is done.
CCJ
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
[..]

Yeah it's a little misleading. Most of the debate would have probably been avoided if the term 'HD masters' was used from the outset rather than 'Blu-Ray masters'. Oh well, what's done is done.

Well yeah...... thats pretty much my point.....

The textless openings and closings are done in the same way the Blu-ray masters are with the vibrant colours and filtering, and the episodes themselves are done without.

And they all came from HD masters.

Sooo Weird..... Confused

Its still strange they advertise it remastered video when only the textless openings and closings qualify as being advertised as that!
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
oh by the way, you will eventually be able to buy CCS in HD off itunes

Any word on when?
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I uh, just finished watching this... Any hope for the Movies Madman?
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
So I uh, just finished watching this... Any hope for the Movies Madman?

Good question. Surely it will be a yes, Madman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I meant to post this post here. I completely missed this thread in the search results.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
NIS America is releasing the complete series across 9 BDs in a single Premium Edition set for $249.99. It includes a 76-page artbook.

There's also a standard three-set DVD release.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Out of curiosity. Who here would double dip and purchase a dual language BD set if we were to release it?
d.v_3
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Out of curiosity. Who here would double dip and purchase a dual language BD set if we were to release it?

I would!

I was about to buy the DVDs although after seeing a post that it will be released in NA on Bluray this morning I decided to hold off.

Having said that, I'd much prefer to buy it from you guys! Smile
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd probably buy again. Dual language would be good, even if it's the suspected Animax dub. Blu-ray would be even better. Very Happy
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

I probably would buy it in 2015 at the earliest. Kind balancing the finances at the moment.

I would rather prefer a barebones release that minimised costs to us.
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I certainly would! BD and dual audio would make that release perfect, I'd have the Japanese for general viewing and the English for nostalgia trips, and it would be in sweet HD! ^_^

EDIT: Just finding out now it's using the Animax dub, there goes the nostalgia. I would buy on blu-ray regardless, but dual audio dvd with Animax would probably be a no-go for me.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

Blu-Ray? I'd be seriously tempted. I didn't get Madman's release because I managed to pick up the R1 version many moons ago. I'm not going to double dip to go from DVD to DVD. Upgrade to BD... that's another story.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd probably consider it, I actually haven't bought the second DVD volume yet, I was going to soon though. If Madman were to do a Blu release, I'd hold off.

Presentation wise, if it were duel audio, would the parts that were cut just be silent on the english track?
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW our current DVD release is actually based on the Remastered HD/BD masters from Japan if that's not reason enough to double dip Wink

IF and IF we were to do this, the BD English audio is completely uncut as it's been confirmed NIS are using the Animax dub, not the Nelvana one.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Missed the part in Sly's inital post referring to Blu-ray, and though it was just DVD. If it was Blu, I would definitely buy.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

I would finally have a reason to buy it from Madman. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alphamone
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would indeed double dip for a dual language blu-ray. Heck, I would possibly even double dip if it was a subs only blu-ray.
d.v_3
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
BTW our current DVD release is actually based on the Remastered HD/BD masters from Japan if that's not reason enough to double dip Wink

IF and IF we were to do this, the BD English audio is completely uncut as it's been confirmed NIS are using the Animax dub, not the Nelvana one.

I would love for Madman to get the Nelvana dub and release it on DVD purely for nostalgic purposes. Although I doubt that would ever happen. :'(
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

Try and stop me from double dipping in that situation Razz (Especially because for some reason my Collection 1 has no Disc 1... I legitimately don't remember if it ever came with one but all I know is there is no disc 1 in my set >_> wouldn't mind actually having those episodes Razz)
Although I wouldn't mind a premium style release (kinda like how NISA's approaching it, but with less back-alley-bootleg art, I loved the cover art approach made for your DVDs for the record) but I wouldn't complain if we just got Standard Editions because that'd be cheaper.
I don't really care either way about the dual language to be honest, like I'd watch the dub unless it was godawful (I've heard both good and bad Animax dubs so I'm happy to approach it just like any other dub)- but it wouldn't be the deciding factor.
However would it have a disc-count similar to NISA's? NISA's release seems to have a decent disc count for the BD and I'd be a little cautious in purchasing if it was very much lower. (Like anything below 8 discs and I'd be looking into the releases before buying anything, The 9 that the U.S. is getting seems pretty reasonable to me though)

But anyway: Yes please, I would very much be willing to double dip (as well as a good friend of mine who has stated to me he wants it on BD) especially because your DVD release was a pretty good price so I wouldn't feel like I'm spending too much on the one series
and sailor moon in a perfect world where Toei was easier to deal with
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't believe people are wanting to support another local release, after how poorly Madman handled the previous releases.

The subtitles on the local DVD releases of Cardcaptor Sakura were far too small, and they never bothered to even fix the audio sync issues either.

Plus Madman couldn't be bothered to include the English dub from Animax, which NIS America has no problems including on their upcoming releases.
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kirben wrote:
I can't believe people are wanting to support another local release, after how poorly Madman handled the previous releases.

The subtitles on the local DVD releases of Cardcaptor Sakura were far too small, and they never bothered to even fix the audio sync issues either.

Plus Madman couldn't be bothered to include the English dub from Animax, which NIS America has no problems including on their upcoming releases.

It is possible that NIS America has had this in the pipeline for a long time now. You also have to remember that they are releasing fewer titles than madman per year.

As for the audio and subtitles, you got used to them after a while Razz. Sentai filmworks has also had problems with their english dubs leaving out WHOLE sentences Razz
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timesplitter 01 wrote:
As for the audio and subtitles, you got used to them after a while Razz.

I found the small subtitles a struggle on a smaller screen (24") from a short distance, and ended up upgrading the size of my screen at the time.

Timesplitter 01 wrote:
Sentai filmworks has also had problems with their english dubs leaving out WHOLE sentences Razz
The scripts for English dubs are frequently different, compared to English subtitles for original Japanese versions. Which is why I rarely watch any English dubs anymore.
Chii_123
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to clarify, is the Animax dub the one they used for the Second CCS movie?
I would probably double dip as I generally prefer dubs. Smile

My Eureka 7 avatar was made by 'starshapedcandy' @ http://starshapedcandy.livejournal.com/?tag=animanga:+eureka+7
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chii_123 wrote:
Just to clarify, is the Animax dub the one they used for the Second CCS movie?
I would probably double dip as I generally prefer dubs. Smile

The second movie hasn't been released (or announced?) yet.
We're getting the first movie next month and I'm fairly certain it's Japanese Audio only
EDIT: Correction, I just checked, the first film is listed to have English audio
SVanD
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have Geneon's release of both movies; the first movie's dub is edited like the TV series. I listened to 5 seconds of it and turned it off.

The second movie however, the dub is fairly decent; Kari Wahlgren does Sakura's voice (she kinda sounds like a less savage Kagami). It's uncut from what I can tell; they even left in Sakura's "ho~e"s.
d.v_3
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any news that Madman will bring over the Limited bluray release to Aus?
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No news. Madman hasn't brought over any of NISA's products, so it's not really a given. There's the possibility that the Blu-ray of the first movie may be licensed by Madman sometime next year, after Discotek releases it in the US, though.

As for the second movie, I hope Madman are holding off to see what develops in the US with regards to a possible Blu-ray release.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
No news. Madman hasn't brought over any of NISA's products, so it's not really a given. There's the possibility that the Blu-ray of the first movie may be licensed by Madman sometime next year, after Discotek releases it in the US, though.

As for the second movie, I hope Madman are holding off to see what develops in the US with regards to a possible Blu-ray release.

There is also that period shortly after NISA announced their release where Madman sort of unofficially-ish mentioned the possibility with absolutely no definite answer or promises.
redoverdrive1
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Replying here in hopes to spark interest in the topic again. I had thought about importing the NISA blu-rays but honestly it wouldn't be worth it considering i would have to get a new blu-ray player and set it to region A. Is there any hope of madman doing a dual-audio blu-ray release or is it pretty much out the window at this point?
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can't change the region code on your current player? My Soniq one from JB HiFi lets me swap it when I need to with a button combo input and its 3 years old.
redoverdrive1
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a PS3 so I don't think it works to change it. Probably should buy a new one anyway though.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, yeah they aren't able to be changed. It is worth getting a standalone to region change for any import titles that may not make it over here.
Sethscar
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I purchased a second player for Region A BD for <$150 @ JB, works like a charm.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
...the manga-bundled prologue for the Clear Card Arc HAS ENGLISH SUBTITLES!
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funimation has the new 2018 season - Trailer

EDIT: with an english dub I should add!
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I'd buy a Blu Ray set of CCS if they did one, duel language would be nice too.

Page 6 of 6

Jump to: