Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Holy **** Madman licensed Cardcaptor Sakura.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Holy **** Madman licensed Cardcaptor Sakura.
Author
Shana

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Difference between BRD and DVD is noticeable in this gallery

OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:

Would Bluray really make much of a difference with a show like this? I don't really own any Blurays for older shows so I'm not entirely sure how they scrub up is all.

As Claus said, if it's on film it'll show up well. I've watched the Japanese Blu-Ray release of CCS, and let me tell you, it looks bloody amazing.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It does really make a difference. Not so much that I'd boycott a DVD release (not that I'm particularly interested in CCS) but definitely noticeable.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep in mind Madman is getting BD masters so we will get the HD remaster, just... not in HD. For whatever sense that makes.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I read that, good news on that front. I'll still be buying it, I just hope they don't decide to do a blu release 6 months later or something.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
madchild wrote:
Keep in mind Madman is getting BD masters so we will get the HD remaster, just... not in HD. For whatever sense that makes.

It means it's pointless. Like buying a smartphone and then only using it for calls or buying a professional camera and uploading the pictures to Facebook.

It's a watered down release and definitely not worth my money being handed over for it.
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
[..]

It means it's pointless. Like buying a smartphone and then only using it for calls or buying a professional camera and uploading the pictures to Facebook.

It's not pointless at all. I'm like almost everyone else in that I would much rather a Blu-Ray version, but having a PAL release authoured from Blu-Ray masters is much, much better than having a PAL release converted from NTSC masters.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sourcing from an HD master can still conform to the NTSC standard. Hopefully Madman will convert it down to whatever format they get it in. If they get a 1080p 24fps digital master, then converting to PAL for DVD would be the best choice.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
It's not pointless at all. I'm like almost everyone else in that I would much rather a Blu-Ray version, but having a PAL release authoured from Blu-Ray masters is much, much better than having a PAL release converted from NTSC masters.

Yes, but it all ends up as a low resolution DVD. Entirely pointless, especially after the Japanese Blu-Ray release has been out for a couple of years.

Really, if Madman is going to re-release it, they should make it worthwhile. Maybe then folks will import from Australia for once, rather than the other way around.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
Really, if Madman is going to re-release it, they should make it worthwhile.

I am of the opinion that any re-release of it at all is worthwhile.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like I said before, it won't look horrible being upscaled, most anime looks pretty good most of the time, as long as there is no bad compression artifacts. Having it on DVD will be better than nothing absolutely.

Although nailing this release in the blu ray format would be the best option.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:

^ This.

Thank you
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:

Not in 576i it isn't. I'd rather import the old Region 1 collection.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the new DVDs will be 480p30 (ie progressive NTSC). They'll look much better than the old Pioneer DVD release.

Perhaps a BRD release will come later. Either way, just getting a progressive version of it will be really nice.

CG wrote:
Would Bluray really make much of a difference with a show like this?

H.264 is much better at encoding animation than MPEG-2, so if nothing else, you'll get a much crisper picture without any macroblocking in dark regions and banding in gradients.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd definitely hope they would not do a blu ray release later, either release at the same time or never bother .
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
Not in 576i it isn't.

Speak for yourself.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Oh, ok. I wasn't aware there were folk that were ok with poor quality interlaced crap. In 2012 of all years, too.

Driving a Daihatsu and being ok with it doesn't change that their cars are generally of an inferior quality.

StorminNorman wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the new DVDs will be 480p30 (ie progressive NTSC). They'll look much better than the old Pioneer DVD release.

I haven't bothered buying any Madman DVDs as of late, due to either importing or just buying Blu-Ray. Have they released any other DVDs in 480p recently? Because I wasn't aware it was something Australian companies did- if at all.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
Oh, ok. I wasn't aware there were folk that were ok with poor quality interlaced crap. In 2012 of all years, too.

"ohnoes, an old show doesn't have a spotless ironed out release while every other release would take a large bite out of my wallet whereas everyone else seems to be able to get over it."

Really? This is your problem? This tiny little thing, when we've been using DVDs for so many years? You know, it's not like we're lucky to be getting it or anything, how dare Madman not master a BD, which they've outright said is too expensive. How dare they get something constantly requested then not get the format good enough for you.
The image used to represent the meme even addresses your complaint.
Actually, be glad it's coming out, don't like it, don't buy it, at least everyone else who wants Blu-Ray can accept that it's not happening at this point in time and not make it into some serious business @_@
Seriously. Stop it. Pretty please.

To everyone else, this will not become a big argument should this continue as I am done here. I just had to say something. And I apologise for the rage post.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I think the point to make is that this will to my knowledge be the only really affordable release right?
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Claus wrote:
I'd definitely hope they would not do a blu ray release later, either release at the same time or never bother .

Well that's hardly fair.

Hopefully that this release will get enough sales for madman to consider a blu-ray release later down the track. It might be a few years down the track before that might even happen but I wouldn't say "either do it the first release or don't bother ever".

As much as I want it on Blu-ray, I'm not really willing to spend the crazy amounts to import it. Already did that once for the pioneer release.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
Driving a Daihatsu and being ok with it doesn't change that their cars are generally of an inferior quality.

While the Porsche would be nice to have, if it isn't an option the Daihatsu is better than not being able to drive at all.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
madchild wrote:
"ohnoes, an old show doesn't have a spotless ironed out release while every other release would take a large bite out of my wallet whereas everyone else seems to be able to get over it."

I don't see everyone else 'getting over it'. I'm just complaining with more words than they are.

Quote:
Really? This is your problem? This tiny little thing, when we've been using DVDs for so many years? You know, it's not like we're lucky to be getting it or anything, how dare Madman not master a BD, which they've outright said is too expensive. How dare they get something constantly requested then not get the format good enough for you.

Yeah, we've been using DVDs for years. Know what we've also been using for years? Blu-Ray.

Since it's such a requested title, maybe Madman should... I dunno... Take a risk? I mean, surely considering how requested it is they're going to actually get a lot of people purchasing it, right?

If we're going to consider us getting it to be 'lucky' and that that's a reason enough to not complain, well, why even buy the release then? As far as I consider it, it's not even a worthwhile release. Some folk will probably buy it for the nostalgia, but really, once the initial honeymoon is over it's going to end up just like the Digimon collection - sitting on store shelves for many months without a purchase, and then not re-stocked in retail stores due to lack of demand. At least that's how it is in most Wollongong and Sydney stores. If you want it, you have to order it in or buy it right from Madman.

If it comes down to customers *knowing* that they could have a show in HD, but it not being released and DVD sales suffering as a result, then take a look at Adventure Time.

Quote:
The image used to represent the meme even addresses your complaint.

Aw poo poo, a first world problem about what is essentially a first world luxury in the first place?

Sorry, but as a joke response and something used as a troll response to someone overreacting, that meme works. But as a serious response to something like this? F*ck, you're a silly one aren't you?

Quote:
Actually, be glad it's coming out, don't like it, don't buy it, at least everyone else who wants Blu-Ray can accept that it's not happening at this point in time and not make it into some serious business @_@
Seriously. Stop it. Pretty please.

To everyone else, this will not become a big argument should this continue as I am done here. I just had to say something. And I apologise for the rage post.

Yeah, it did come out - many years ago. I got my standard definition fix back then. I'm not forking out my hard earned cash for a *sub-only* release of a show that's only going to be in slightly better quality than what I could buy a decade ago.

At least Digimon came out on a format it wasn't previously released on with a more than noticeable jump in quality.

HimuraBattousai wrote:
While the Porsche would be nice to have, if it isn't an option the Daihatsu is better than not being able to drive at all.

I could likely buy the Mitsubishi brand car too for a slightly higher price than the Daihatsu and see a world of difference in the driving experience.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
[..]

Well that's hardly fair.

Hopefully that this release will get enough sales for madman to consider a blu-ray release later down the track. It might be a few years down the track before that might even happen but I wouldn't say "either do it the first release or don't bother ever".

As much as I want it on Blu-ray, I'm not really willing to spend the crazy amounts to import it. Already did that once for the pioneer release.

See that's be problem, it's unfair to do a double dip later, I would pay extra money for the blu ray if it was coming out either with or maybe a few months after the DVD release. Telling everyone that there will be no blu ray, everyone who wants it will likely buy the DVD release. So if there were ever to be an eventual blu ray most people would most likely not re-purchase. It would anger people more that way, unless of course it didn't happen for another 4-5 years down the line.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, this has blown up a bit. Razz

I'm of the opinion that something is better than nothing. While a Bluray release of any show is preferable I don't think that a DVD release is the end of the world. On a decent, up-scaling player there are only minor problems and I don't feel they detract from the rest of the show.

But at the same time I understand that some people like having the best and it's our right as consumers to decide what we want. Once Bluray authoring becomes a cheaper process then depending on how this release goes maybe MM - or another company - will decide to do it later on down the track.

As it is, I think MM is taking a bit of a risk by re-releasing a show like this in today's market and given the age of the show. Cardcaptor Sakura was big in my day but you'd struggle to find younger kids that are interested in or know of the show so it's only going to be something for the fans. In all honesty, I didn't expect to see the show re-released for quite some time anyway.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I'm going to get the release when it comes out, it will look decent enough on DVD. I'd be unhappy though if they see it sells well and then a year later bring out a blu double dip.

Although if this sub only release for a show like this is successful, could that pave the way for maybe something like sailor moon getting a similar release?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
Wah wah entitlement entitlement wah wah priveliged white kid problems wah wah wah

Seriously, though, that's what your post reads like.

Literally nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy this this, so like... don't. Last I checked the Japanese BRD release was right there if you wanted it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will madman also release the two movies?
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it was previously mentioned that they're not doing the movies at this point.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Seriously, though, that's what your post reads like.

Literally nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy this this, so like... don't. Last I checked the Japanese BRD release was right there if you wanted it.

I'm pretty sure that's what the whole 'not a worthwhile release' thing that I keep mentioning is all about... Y'know, the reason why I'm not buying this? Did I not make this clear? I liked how you called me a 'kid' though. That doesn't often happen these days.

CG wrote:
As it is, I think MM is taking a bit of a risk by re-releasing a show like this in today's market and given the age of the show. Cardcaptor Sakura was big in my day but you'd struggle to find younger kids that are interested in or know of the show so it's only going to be something for the fans. In all honesty, I didn't expect to see the show re-released for quite some time anyway.

That's what I meant when I talked about the 'honeymoon' period. Once everyone that's nostalgic enough or a big enough fan to buy this (dated) release (format) has done that, it'll likely end up treading water. If it weren't DVD exclusive at this point, it'd likely spike the interest of folk like me. However, that doesn't change the fact that whenever someone is at my apartment and sees an older title that aired on TV here in Australia, they're always like 'hey, I remember that!'... And that's about it. And then you go to conventions, and the kids can't even recognise the characters or the show title...
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's the low down. We are not doing a BD release. the BD release in Japan was also a LIMITED EDITION release. It's now out of print.

When it was originally released last year it was priced at - 78,000 yen. Roughly $1000. That's also for the first 35 eps. I honestly do not believe that our market would be willing to pay $1000 for 35 episodes. Even at half the price it would not be a feasible release.

The format that we decided to release this is on was based on the widest available audience scenario like we always do with our releases. We cannot cater to 100% of the market it doesn't make any business sense. For this release we believe that the format that we releasing it in is the most affordable and cost effective way for both the consumer and our production costs to make this release a good one.

We're happy that people are passionate about the show but commercial realities are something that we need to look at for every title that we release. If the opportunity arises in the future that we can work on doing a BD release, I'm sure we will look into it and make it possible. But for now I really hope that everyone can enjoy this upcoming release.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info slykura. I will definitely be buying this release anyway.

Just wondering though, and you probably won't be able to answer. Obviously releasing a blu ray set would cost more from just the media costing more to produce, but if you are getting an HD master already then I don't understand how it would cost so much more when you already have access to the source.

So would it cost extra in fees to the Japanese company if madman were to make a blu ray? Or are the files you are getting not actually in the HD format, but are the downscaled DVD masters from the HD source? In that case I can see why as madman wouldn't have it.
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Long story short.

Madman doesn't actually have a bluray production line. All their blurays get produced off shore by companies like funimation, etc.

That is a simplistic version of how we get our blurays. So if an American or uk company isn't releasing it on bluray then the likelihood that madman will bring it out on bluray here is slim to none.

Bluray production at the moment for a company the size of madman is still too expensive for the relative size of our market.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Claus wrote:
Thanks for the info slykura. I will definitely be buying this release anyway.

Just wondering though, and you probably won't be able to answer. Obviously releasing a blu ray set would cost more from just the media costing more to produce, but if you are getting an HD master already then I don't understand how it would cost so much more when you already have access to the source.

So would it cost extra in fees to the Japanese company if madman were to make a blu ray? Or are the files you are getting not actually in the HD format, but are the downscaled DVD masters from the HD source? In that case I can see why as madman wouldn't have it.

We have blu-ray production facilities in house. We author our own Blu-Rays from time to time when something is not available for us to use. E.G. Madoka Magica, All of the previously released Studio Ghibli films etc. But we have a bottleneck in the production as the licensing for the authoring software costs six figures. We also have other films who need to use the BD authoring facilities that we have. People forget sometimes that we also release films and TV shows and other products, not just anime.

Blu-Rays also cost around 3x as much to master, where as DVDs are essentially a cost neutral exercise depending on how many we can order.

The BD market in Australia is also much weaker than people believe it to be. Stats that we have show that the percentages of BD vs DVD is just not worthwhile a lot the time to do BD releases. For something as costly as this where it would be 3-4 BDs for each season and to be able to maintain the price that we have set? It's not worthwhile for us to the numbers that we would ultimately sell.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
The BD market in Australia is also much weaker than people believe it to be.

I can attest to this. As someone actually selling these products at retail, I can say without a doubt that DVDs sell a lot more than Blu-Rays do.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
I can attest to this. As someone actually selling these products at retail, I can say without a doubt that DVDs sell a lot more than Blu-Rays do.

It's crazy, isn't it? I still find myself having to explain what Blurays are to customers and most still don't understand and more than most don't even know what a Bluray is as they've somehow never heard of them. Then those that do understand also don't realise that Bluray players also play DVDs so they don't upgrade for fear of making their DVD collection redundant. Oh, and for some reason people think Blurays are "too complicated" and they'll stick to DVDs. Confused

These are of course the people who are buying high-end $2500+ TVs as well...
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah there are people I know who have these big modern tv's but connect everything up to it through composite cables. :S
azn2newbie
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Claus wrote:
Yeah there are people I know who have these big modern tv's but connect everything up to it through composite cables. :S

Such an utter waste lol, I got a mate watching blu-ray movies with his old CRT lol!
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah it is a waste, mostly that happens when the people just aren't into looking a little more into how they set it up. I find it's usually with people in the 45-60 age bracket, most of the time as long as it looks ok and they can see everything relatively clearly that is good enough.

Also it's not always older people, some younger friends don't care all that much either.
Sethscar
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
[..]

It's crazy, isn't it? I still find myself having to explain what Blurays are to customers and most still don't understand and more than most don't even know what a Bluray is as they've somehow never heard of them. Then those that do understand also don't realise that Bluray players also play DVDs so they don't upgrade for fear of making their DVD collection redundant. Oh, and for some reason people think Blurays are "too complicated" and they'll stick to DVDs. Confused

It would make sense that the average Australian consumer would buy a HD screen purely to watch SD content. I'm not being sarcastic, I swear people are so dense, it's almost rage-inducing.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It really depends on the title on whether people will buy Blu-ray or not. I have the extended ltd ed Avatar on blu-ray, but have bought others like The Descendants on dvd. Even though the resolution is higher on blu-ray, it's simply cheaper to get the dvd esp when they're uncertain of the contents value in enjoyment wise. People also can't sometimes tell the difference even with HD tv's esp when dealing with older titles that haven't been remastered.

Also if they can't get the title locally or if they're unhappy with the local product, then dvd is the way to go. It's harder to find a multi-zone blu-ray player than it is for a multizone dvd player.

My younger sister may go for CCS, but more than likely she'll look at getting what I'm getting or have.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:

Which is quite sad, considering that Blu-Ray has been a usable format since about 2006. It seems to be much more of a 'thing' in the USA, where they pretty much started off by forcing the format on the general public.

In general, people are fairly retarded. At the same time though, those retarded people probably aren't really going to buy this release. An even nicher audience within a niche market.

Slykura wrote:
When it was originally released last year it was priced at - 78,000 yen. Roughly $1000. That's also for the first 35 eps. I honestly do not believe that our market would be willing to pay $1000 for 35 episodes. Even at half the price it would not be a feasible release.

The Japanese yen is also worth next to nothing and is no way a reflection of how much it'd cost in a western nation. Remember Baccano? It was released in Japan for several hundred US dollars, but when sold here it went for... $60-100?

If you were importing the limited edition CCS release then trying to sell it for a profit, or at minor loss, yeah it's inconceivable. You didn't even consider a limited Blu-Ray release?

JESTER wrote:
It's harder to find a multi-zone blu-ray player than it is for a multizone dvd player.

Only if you're limiting yourself to shopping at physical stores, of course. There are cheap Blu-Ray players that can natively play Blu-Rays from all three regions.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
If you were importing the limited edition CCS release then trying to sell it for a profit, or at minor loss, yeah it's inconceivable. You didn't even consider a limited Blu-Ray release?

Licensing costs.
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
The Japanese yen is also worth next to nothing and is no way a reflection of how much it'd cost in a western nation. Remember Baccano? It was released in Japan for several hundred US dollars, but when sold here it went for... $60-100?

You cant really compare the two markets given that the japanese price gouge their customers. However this still doesnt change the fact that bluray production is still expensive compared to dvds.

The fact is that the Australian anime market is like mercury (the planet) to where as American and Japan togher would be like Jupiter.

If you dont have large enough market for production means that each disc is going to cost more to produce which will result in a higher cost to the comsumer.

There is some price sensitivity in the anime market, besides those with huge wallets Razz , meaning a huge increase in cost to buy anime would result in consumers either going to competitors or finding cheaper substitutes to entertain themselves.

As far as I am aware madman is going in alone with these CCS Dvds meaning they alone will be burdened with the cost. Whereas most of their bluray titles, currently in their catalogue, production costs would be shared with other companies in the USA and Uk. However I dont know the inner workings of madman but this is the most likely way they do things in my opinion (Yes, Sly I know.............Timesplitter shut up........you known nothing about madmans inner workings Razz )

OniV2 wrote:

Only if you're limiting yourself to shopping at physical stores, of course. There are cheap Blu-Ray players that can natively play Blu-Rays from all three regions.

You can get a multi-region bluray player from JB for around $79 these days
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure it would cost more to do a blu ray, but the likely hood of imports would go up as well.

A limited edition would be cool, although going to the effort for a limited release may make even less sense. But the people who want the blu ray would probably be willing to pay extra to cover those costs, I dunno.
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Claus wrote:
Sure it would cost more to do a blu ray, but the likely hood of imports would go up as well.

A limited edition would be cool, although going to the effort for a limited release may make even less sense. But the people who want the blu ray would probably be willing to pay extra to cover those costs, I dunno.

Is anyone actually thinking Slykuras points from a business point of view or is everyone just ignoring the fact that if they did produce every show on bluray that they would be out of business within 12 months?

Each anime madman selects to go after probably goes through an acquisition analysis which takes into account the possibility of how big the import market would be for the title in question. If madman thinks it isnt worth going after the title then they wont purchase the rights to it.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes we read the posts, just doing further speculation. There's no harm in discussing what kinds of thought processes they might have gone through etc. I don't even care all that much, just continuing to add some thoughts.

The main hurdle is that blu ray production costs more, they have already acquired the show/masters, and from what has been said they will have access to the actual HD version and not just a downscaled copy.

Maybe a limited edition, which is actually limited, could be accomplished. But of course the price of such a release would have to be at least double or more than the standard DVD set to make viable.

Discussing the release and business side possibilities is fun to talk about sometimes.

Last edited by Claus on Tue May 15, 2012 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShaolinHandLock
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I may not post on these boards much any more, but the comments about DVD's are grinding my gears.

I'm one of those people who watch and collect DVD's on a HD TV. Why? Because I just don't see the point in upgrading just yet. Heck, I still watch VHS tapes occasionally. But my basic point is this: I am perfectly happy with the picture quality of DVD's, and I object to being called 'dense', 'retarted' and whatever other slurs in this thread directed at people like me who just don't care about whatever extra quality Blu-Rays might bring.

The difference between VHS and DVD was justifiable enough for me to upgrade then. The difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is not justifiable enough for me to upgrade now. I'm perfectly happy with my DVD's, and as I've already said, I object to people like me being made out as some sort of idiot for watching them on a HDTV.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ShaolinHandLock wrote:
I may not post on these boards much any more, but the comments about DVD's are grinding my gears.

I'm one of those people who watch and collect DVD's on a HD TV. Why? Because I just don't see the point in upgrading just yet. Heck, I still watch VHS tapes occasionally. But my basic point is this: I am perfectly happy with the picture quality of DVD's, and I object to being called 'dense', 'retarted' and whatever other slurs in this thread directed at people like me who just don't care about whatever extra quality Blu-Rays might bring.

The difference between VHS and DVD was justifiable enough for me to upgrade then. The difference between DVD and Blu-Ray is not justifiable enough for me to upgrade now. I'm perfectly happy with my DVD's, and as I've already said, I object to people like me being made out as some sort of idiot for watching them on a HDTV.

Just to be clear, I was not saying simply watching DVD versions on a modern tv is bad. I was merely saying I know people who have these tv's and connect them up incorrectly, resulting in un-neccessary visual quality loss. Such examples as using a blu ray player with composite cables.

I still buy DVD copies of things all the time. Usually these days though I'd opt for a blu ray if the source is good enough to warrant it.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Claus wrote:
[..]

Just to be clear, I was not saying simply watching DVD versions on a modern tv is bad. I was merely saying I know people who have these tv's and connect them up incorrectly, resulting in un-neccessary visual quality loss. Such examples as using a blu ray player with composite cables.

I still buy DVD copies of things all the time. Usually these days though I'd opt for a blu ray if the source is good enough to warrant it.

=P I'm one of those people that uses blu-ray player with composite cables. Really need to fix that up one day (cable I was using died (I think the cat chewed it) so using the composite cable from my dvd player)

I have a mix of dvd's and blu-rays. If madman have a blu-ray version of the anime I will mostly get the blu-ray version unless I started collecting a series on dvd before I had a blu-ray player (FMA: Brotherhood being the main one) I hate mixing and matching pre-existing dvd sets with blu-ray for later on.

If madman only release a dvd version of a show it doesn't worry me perfectly happy with DVD. So I am very happy that madman are releasing CCS even if it is on dvd only and hoping that this subbed release will be sucessful so there is a chance to get other subbed versions of previously dubbed shows where sub wasn't possible because of how cut they where (Yu-Gi-Oh, Mew Mew Powers both come to mind though I think they where released by other companies originally) and great shows that have never had a English dub before.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Feball3001 wrote:
[..]

=P I'm one of those people that uses blu-ray player with composite cables. Really need to fix that up one day (cable I was using died (I think the cat chewed it) so using the composite cable from my dvd player)

I have a mix of dvd's and blu-rays. If madman have a blu-ray version of the anime I will mostly get the blu-ray version unless I started collecting a series on dvd before I had a blu-ray player (FMA: Brotherhood being the main one) I hate mixing and matching pre-existing dvd sets with blu-ray for later on.

If madman only release a dvd version of a show it doesn't worry me perfectly happy with DVD. So I am very happy that madman are releasing CCS even if it is on dvd only and hoping that this subbed release will be sucessful so there is a chance to get other subbed versions of previously dubbed shows where sub wasn't possible because of how cut they where (Yu-Gi-Oh, Mew Mew Powers both come to mind though I think they where released by other companies originally) and great shows that have never had a English dub before.

Yeah let's get back to being happy that this is actually getting a release. I would love more subbed anime, mostly shows that have never had an English dub, such as things like future boy Conan, or things that were butched with their English dub like astro boy 2003.

Page 2 of 6

Jump to: