Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Region 4 Dragon Boxes?

Region 4 Dragon Boxes?
Author
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Region 4 Dragon Boxes? Reply with quote
Funimation Dragonball Z Dragon Boxes are in region 1 and 4.

So I guess alot of Australians bought those.

Considering that the Dragon Boxes are out of print and goes for mad money on the 2nd market.

Is there any chance Madman could release region 4 Dragon Boxes?

I am one of those people that did not buy the Dragon Boxes so to my chock and dismay when I checked the 2ndary market, I now hope that Madman will release the Draon Boxes.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
All the countries south of the US are Region 4, so presumably FUNImation had a license that covered the entire Americas. That Australa and New Zealand are also Region 4 was just a bonus for us.
SGD_Eirikr
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm rather surprised we didn't get them considering Madman bothered with the x.x series...
Throttle
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Considering the high prices on the 2nd market for the Funimation releases, there should still be market for DBZ Dragon boxes if Madman should obtain these.
Throttle
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SGD_Eirikr wrote:
I'm rather surprised we didn't get them considering Madman bothered with the x.x series...

I'm surprised to that Madman have not obtained the Dragon boxes.

Why bother with the remaster from the orange bricks?
SGD_Eirikr
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Throttle wrote:
[..]

I'm surprised to that Madman have not obtained the Dragon boxes.

Why bother with the remaster from the orange bricks?

Uh, you're not familiar with the releases, are you? Here's a rough run down of the order, from memory:

>Dub Only Volumes, some missing I think and only the severely edited Saiyan and Namek Sagas.

>Re-Do of Saiyan Saga through Namek, canceled during Saiyan Saga I believe.

>Orange Boxes replace the Re-do.

>Kai

>Dragon Boxes in US.

>X.X Blurays, another remaster, canceled because of cost.

To be perfectly frank, DBZ is far too long, Kai was a great idea, I would have bought it if Buu had been done.
Throttle
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's the point of your post?

The Dragon Boxes is the only release worth getting.
The complete uncut DBZ series completely remastered.

Everything else is rudundant.

The first DVD releases have the edited kiddy version of the first two seasons. Not worth getting. Everything else is cool since it's uncut with original japanese audio, they are just not remastered.

I'm not even gonna start on the Orange Brick releases. Every person know that it is the worst DBZ release ever!

While Kai does have great picture quality it's edited to the point where I call it "cut to pieces" and in my oppinion too short.

From what I know the Bluray releases
got canceled because of quality not being up to bluray standards.

So until a uncut DBZ Bluray release does happen.

The DBZ Dragon Boxes is the best and only release worth having. Unfortunately I did not buy them in time and now some of the boxes goes for very high prices.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only have the orange brick release and the way top and bottom of the video is cut really annoys me. Would of liked DBZ on blu-ray but only having a few episodes per disc for a long series and not knowing if Funimation where going to do the whole series was the only thing preventing me from getting them. Glad I didn't since funimation have now cancelled them.

Having a look at rightstuf the only Dragon Boxes they have left are 5, 6 and 7. The only way to get a complete R1 release is the Orange Boxes.
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SGD_Eirikr wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Madman have released basically everything DBZ related Funimation ever brought out, including at least two cancelled releases.
So why skip arguably the most significant release of them all beats me, although I would have to weigh heavily on the licensing details.

Thankfully I picked up the Dragonboxes as soon as I heard they got a US release. Didn't even know they were Region 4 until I received them.
Rather puzzled they stop producing them so quickly though.

Leads me to believe they were only given a brief time to release the gear rather than a free reign like usual.
Would also explain why Funimation didn't just remaster/upscale the Dragonboxes to Blu-ray for the failed 'Level' releases. That seemed a common tactic of there's.

Anime News Network Australia
SGD_Eirikr
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Throttle wrote:
What's the point of your post?

Everything else is rudundant.

The point is, the Dragon Boxes were only recently made available to the west, and judging by the little time they were on the shelves, a limited time deal.

Everything else not worth owning? I agree, but they were the only things available at the time and the Orange Bricks continue to be the only release truly available.

Whining about the Orange Bricks over the Dragon Boxes is a stupid argument when you consider what was available to Madman via Funimation. The X.X Blurays, another matter entirely.

The X.X Blurays got canceled because of cost, not quality. Unless you want something with the Orange Box's colouring problems, you'll probably never get Blu Rays short of Kai.
Throttle
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whining and complaning are two different things and clearly you don't know the difference.

The Dragon boxes were a limited deal. but they were only released in the US reg 1 but are also region 4 coded.

I am sure it was not only a cost issue with the DBZ Blu release. But let that rest.

This is what it comes down to! and my end statement.

Mandman could license/sub license. The Dragon boxes.
The 2nd market value clearly proves there's market for it.

DBZ uncut Bluray release will happen as soon as Toei understand there's enough people who don't want the chopped up Kai Blu release.
Sethscar
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Throttle wrote:
Whining and complaning are two different things and clearly you don't know the difference.

Complain: to express dissatisfaction, pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief; find fault.

Whine: to utter a low, usually nasal, complaining cry or sound, as from uneasiness, discontent, peevishness, etc.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/

You sir, are a moron: a person who is notably stupid
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Throttle wrote:

DVD.

I don't think so. Kai is the way to go, even if it doesn't include the Majin Buu sagas (which are incredibly dumb anyway, so no love lost there).
Sethscar
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some of us want the ridiculously drawn-out power up episodes purely for nostalgia/lost childhood haha
Throttle
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
[..]

DVD.

I don't think so. Kai is the way to go, even if it doesn't include the Majin Buu sagas (which are incredibly dumb anyway, so no love lost there).

People always post that Kai is the way to go even if the Buu saga is missing. But it's not only the Buu saga missing.

Raditz when he is shot does not bleed, there's just a black hole in Raditz body in Kai but no blood as there is in the DBZ series. There are several alterations like this in Kai. So it's not just Buu that's missing.

If you want fast paced story and super crisp picture Kai is the way to go. But that's just not for me... Except for the super crisp picture, that's realy nice.

I will wait for a Bluray release. It's bound to happen but Funi will have to release DBZ as season box sets. Single disc releases are a thing of the past especialy when it comes to Bluray.

Last edited by Throttle on Wed May 02, 2012 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Throttle
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sethscar wrote:
[..]

Complain: to express dissatisfaction, pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief; find fault.

Whine: to utter a low, usually nasal, complaining cry or sound, as from uneasiness, discontent, peevishness, etc.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/

You sir, are a moron: a person who is notably stupid

What are you?

10 years old?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Someone explain to me in ten words or less why this thread shouldn't be moved to the DBZ forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree that it should be in the DBZ forums.

I love Dragon Ball Z, don't like Kai from the random episodes I have seen. If they had actually reanimated it instead of using the old footage I properly would've liked it. Just seems to choppy with the stuff that was cut out of the show.
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Someone explain to me in ten words or less why this thread shouldn't be moved to the DBZ forum.
Because...um, yeah.

Anyway, to settle things...

Throttle wrote:

Is there any chance Madman could release region 4 Dragon Boxes?

I asked Sly last weekend whether or not we'll get the DBZ Dragon boxes.
And his reply was basically that Madman was over re-releasing DBZ, Kai is the current set, and that if you would like to see the Dragon Boxes here, set up a petition for it.
If Madman can see there's enough people behind it, they may look into a limited print run.

Anime News Network Australia
Sethscar
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Throttle wrote:
[..]

What are you?

10 years old?

For the sake of my following argument, yes, I am 10 years old. Making the fact that I highlighted the fact that there is no difference between whining and complaining, subsequently disproving your argument, even sadder.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moved to DBZ Forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Throttle wrote:
[..]

People always post that Kai is the way to go even if the Buu saga is missing. But it's not only the Buu saga missing.

Raditz when he is shot does not bleed, there's just a black hole in Raditz body in Kai but no blood as there is in the DBZ series.

It's really freaking obvious you've only watched the western broadcast of Kai.
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
It's really freaking obvious you've only watched the western broadcast of Kai.

There is a notable lack of blood even in the original Japanese version of that scene in Kai. (Of course, that image also indicates that DBZ added a lot of blood to that scene that wasn't in the manga.)

This clearly makes me the very best, like no one ever was.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LordCrumb
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I registered just for this thread lol

I recently ordered the Dragon Boxes from the US (5,6,7 from Amazon, and 3 from DeepDiscountDVD), so I would also be very interested to know if the Boxes would hit Aus/NZ as boxes 1,2 and 4 are OOP and extremely expensive to import..

I don't see any real reason why Madman would not want to release them, seeing as the DBZ Level Blu-Rays have been supposedly canceled, and the only way to get DBZ in the 4:3 ratio is with the older original 3-Episodes to a disc releases..

We can only hope!!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: