Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Gundam newbie...where to start?

Gundam newbie...where to start?
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Gundam newbie...where to start? Reply with quote
Pretty self explanitory. There's so much readily available that I have no idea where to begin. I saw some random episodes some years ago that I enjoyed and only now have decided to follow it up.

So, Gundam fanatics - where do I begin?

*for reference's sake; I did check the rest of the forum but am more interested in what I can pick up locally rather than importing.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's just been released by Madman so you might as well start at the very beginning

Mobile Suit Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Char's Counterattack

Gundam Unicorn

08th Mobile Suit Team and 0083 are sidestores. 08th MS Team is set at the same time as the original, 0083 is set between the first series and Zeta. Gundam Unicorn is set way after anything else available in Australia.

Gundam Wing (OAV/movie after the TV series) is an independent series that can be watched at any time. Same with Gundam 00 (Season 1, Season 2, movie. That order).

Gundam SEED is also an independent continuity (the bane of Gundam fandom). It's also unique in being the only non-UC series (depending on how you count 00's split season) to have a TV series sequel, Gundam SEED Destiny.
azn2newbie
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
G Gundam if you wanna see Gundam's with super powers. PEW PEW
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
azn2newbie wrote:
G Gundam if you wanna see Gundam's with super powers. PEW PEW

You can't get that locally and it's also abit of a wack job. I still have to get down to watch the 2nd half of the series.

As for what Gundam series to watch. I guess it all depends on whether you want to watch the original which does show its age or something more modern looking.

I'd recomend Gundam SEED and its sequal Gundam SEED Destiny. G SEED is the modern adaption of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. It follows alot of the scenarios that MSG goes thru, but with more powerfull Gundams and warships. Also the battles are alot bigger than the original. Destiny follows 2 years after, though Shinn takes over from Kira as the main character. Shinn gets annoying pretty quickly which is why Kira returns before the end of the first half of the series. It's also worth getting the Final Plus dvd as its a redone version of the last ep of Destiny, though more than twice as long.

Gundam 00 isn't bad, though there are a couple of eps that are boring as hell and is better skipping. Also I recomend NOT getting the movie. If you watch the ending and epilogue, you'd proberly want to go on a killing spree. It's that bad.

Gundam Wing is also worth a look at. The Gundam designs aren't the best looking, but the characters are pretty good and there isn't an ep that I actually skipped, unlike Gundam SEED and Gundam 00 S1. The sequal OVA Endless Waltz isn't bad, but the designers went to la la land with the Gundams.

Gundam 08th MS Team is my fave for the UC universe. The characters are good, doesn't have any annoying people and is contained in 12/13 eps plus the Millers Report OVA.

Gundam Unicorn is looking like a real good series, but it's taking a long time for it to come out.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
azn2newbie
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gundam Seed and Destiny were okay, the repetitive use of stock footage drove me insane.. 00 was better in my opinion but yeah don't watch the movie, it was complete bull.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
azn2newbie wrote:
Gundam Seed and Destiny were okay, the repetitive use of stock footage drove me insane.. 00 was better in my opinion but yeah don't watch the movie, it was complete bull.

In that case, don't watch Rosario + Vampire. I love the manga, but the anime is total crap and the Moka transforming sequence gets boring by the end of ep 2.

I didn't mind the reuse of footage in Destiny. There are some recap episodes, but I actually enjoyed them. I thought the recap ep FATES was good enough to replay every now and then. It's the Shinn stuff that peeves me off no end.

Final Plus is hell of a lot better than the final ep of GSD.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
azn2newbie
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been streaming Gundam Age via Gundaminfo's Youtube channel.. and I gotta admit, it's better than I expected. Smile
I am Thorge
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
azn2newbie wrote:
Been streaming Gundam Age via Gundaminfo's Youtube channel.. and I gotta admit, it's better than I expected. Smile

I agree. Plus I like that, at least for now, the main character dosen't have the special abilities like his father and enemies so he has to rely on skill (and Gundam) to win.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am Thorge wrote:
[..]

I agree. Plus I like that, at least for now, the main character dosen't have the special abilities like his father and enemies so he has to rely on skill (and Gundam) to win.

Gundam 00 and 08th MS Team is like that. In fact the Gundams in 00 get trashed a bit. 08th MS Team is better though since the Gundams are all generic and have a more robust feel to them. Shiro is a good lead character since he's already seen his fair share of war.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: