Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Post Quoting

Post Quoting
Author
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Post Quoting Reply with quote
Here's something that's always bugged me about the Madboards: when you quote a post via clicking the 'Quote' button, you end up with a '[...]' and then the very last paragraph of what you wanted to quote. You then need to scroll through the thread history below your post, find what you actually wanted to quote in that post and paste it in. The '[...]' also shows up on small posts too, posts with one line, meaning you need to delete the '[...]' and the two extra line breaks it creates.

I think this forum 'feature' should be removed. When we quote a post, we should be quoting the entirety of a post and be able to remove what we don't wish to respond to.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The results of very old forum software. We are not going to upgrade it, ever. Unfortunately the database is semi corrupt and we would need to start fresh if we were to upgrade the forum software, losing over a decade of posts along the way, something we're not prepared to do.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right the Madboards still runs on phpBB 2.X, doesn't it?

It's sort of concerning that the database is semi-corrupt though. Is that what results in older threads creating newer pages before the post count for a page is reached, thus displaying a 'no posts on this page' error message too? Or that simply an old phpBB bug that wasn't fixed at the time?

Personally, I'm not entirely sure what you'd be afraid to miss. There seem to be a lot of boards with, well, no activity.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's more that we want to preserve this as an archive. 10 years + of content is quite amazing to keep and preserve really. TBH most new fans are now interacting with us via our FB page so we keep the forum around for old time's sake. It does what it does chugging along.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I remember when that feature was introduced. It was supposed to stop people toying with pyramid quoting I think? Pyramid quoting was fun, but I do seem to recall it getting abused pretty badly back in the day.

Been manually quoting on here for so many years now I got used to it. Its all just part of the boards for me. Still the best forum on the internet. Warts and all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
It's more that we want to preserve this as an archive. 10 years + of content is quite amazing to keep and preserve really. TBH most new fans are now interacting with us via our FB page so we keep the forum around for old time's sake. It does what it does chugging along.

Understandable, I guess. It'd be nice if the forum could be completely moved to Facebook, or another social platform Madman is more active on. However, it's hard to replicate the forum experience there, which sucks.

If you want to preserve the forum as an archive, why not hide a lot of the archived posts? Or move them into another section, thus decreasing the amount of scrolling required on the forum's main index? Just throwing things out there.

A bit off-topic Sly, but did you receive the email (from oniv2@live.com) I sent you about my university's anime club?
jeff
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
Understandable, I guess. It'd be nice if the forum could be completely moved to Facebook, or another social platform Madman is more active on. However, it's hard to replicate the forum experience there, which sucks.

Not everyone uses Facebook or similar!

R1 DVDs
Current totals DVDs = 3756, Figures = 430, Soundtrack CDs = 1466, Artbooks = 364.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jeff wrote:

Not everyone uses Facebook or similar!

Not everyone does, but most do. Why do you think the Madboards only have, like, 10 active members despite the size of the company?
kbz333
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
People come and go. I know of a few of the older* members who pop back in here from time to time. Besides, I like the boards here. I don't always see when someone has posted a topic on FB and I really can't be bothered scrolling through tons of questions to find the answer to something that I'm after.

*older meaning being here longer
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a facebook page but don't use it and prefer the forums. I don't think I have ever been to madman page on facebook.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
It's sort of concerning that the database is semi-corrupt though. Is that what results in older threads creating newer pages before the post count for a page is reached, thus displaying a 'no posts on this page' error message too? Or that simply an old phpBB bug that wasn't fixed at the time?

It's actually an artifact of the conversion between UBB and phpBB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaden1
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd absolutely HATE to see these forums disappear and be replaced by Facebook. While it's true that there are far less people posting here than there used to be, after reading some of the Facebook posts, I'm kinda glad that the Facebookers have "mostly" ignored these forums. Having to read constant whines and stupid assed questions on when the next dvd is being released (when a little research would reveal such answers) must drive Madman's staff completely crazy having to answer them.
Seriously, PLEASE, PLEASE don't ever remove these forums. They are one of the last places anime fans in Australia can come and have a proper conversation, without the "twitter/Facebook/other social media" tween speak being used.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

Y'know, outsourcing your communications to your customers to a third-party provider is a bit dodgy. It's "where the people are", to be sure, but some of their UI decisions seem crafted to make it difficult to stop

[the rise of "social media" and the resulting centralisation of communications on the internet to pass through a handful of servers is something that's got me honestly a bit concerned... but I can't see a way to avoid at least index-building and whoever builds an index is going to want to monetise it.]
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
We also have a newsletter and a blog. So plenty of outlets.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

It's actually an artifact of the conversion between UBB and phpBB.

Makes sense. Things screwed up, resulting in said bug.

Nargun wrote:
Y'know, outsourcing your communications to your customers to a third-party provider is a bit dodgy. It's "where the people are", to be sure, but some of their UI decisions seem crafted to make it difficult to stop.

So it's dodgy because you don't like the changes they've made to their UI over the years?

Also, I wouldn't consider it to be dodgy in the sense that Madman still maintains the Facebook page. Unless Madman is letting people living in India maintain the page for them for cheap, whilst responding to enquiries on their behalf, then it's about as dodgy as downloading free forum software and using it to your advantage.

Jayden1 wrote:
I'd absolutely HATE to see these forums disappear and be replaced by Facebook. While it's true that there are far less people posting here than there used to be, after reading some of the Facebook posts, I'm kinda glad that the Facebookers have "mostly" ignored these forums. Having to read constant whines and stupid assed questions on when the next dvd is being released (when a little research would reveal such answers) must drive Madman's staff completely crazy having to answer them.
Seriously, PLEASE, PLEASE don't ever remove these forums. They are one of the last places anime fans in Australia can come and have a proper conversation, without the "twitter/Facebook/other social media" tween speak being used.

Sounds 100% like the Madboards to me - including 'tween speak', constant whining and stupid arsed questions - except the only one that seems to answer questions here is Sly.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm the only one answering questions anywhere.....
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
I'm the only one answering questions anywhere.....

Maybe you guys should hire some more PR guys?
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:

So it's dodgy because you don't like the changes they've made to their UI over the years?

No, the UI changes demonstrate the problem. The actual problem is that Facebook's a rentseeker, and economic rent is by-definition non-productive.

[specifically, Facebook inserts itself as an intermediary between Madman and anime fans: Facebook "has the people" and so Madman must work with Facebook and permit Facebook to profit, not out of Facebook's own productive efforts but through Facebook's control-of-access to the people who use facebook. The UI changes are just put there by Facebook to keep the users on the reservation.]

... all the social-networking sites are terrible for this, btw.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:

No, the UI changes demonstrate the problem. The actual problem is that Facebook's a rentseeker, and economic rent is by-definition non-productive.

[specifically, Facebook inserts itself as an intermediary between Madman and anime fans: Facebook "has the people" and so Madman must work with Facebook and permit Facebook to profit, not out of Facebook's own productive efforts but through Facebook's control-of-access to the people who use facebook. The UI changes are just put there by Facebook to keep the users on the reservation.]

... all the social-networking sites are terrible for this, btw.

I think you're going about it wrong, really.

Facebook does not 'have' the people. Facebook is merely the most popular platform in which Madman and anime/manga fans interact currently. The second is likely Twitter, followed by the Madboards. Sure, Facebook has a lot of users, but they're not funnelled to Madman's page just because it's Facebook. If Madman does not advertise the page themselves, the page will get no new hits and no new fans to interact with via that platform. Sure, Madman can pay Facebook to host banner adverts for a high fee, that's fair. I'm sure Madman has banner ads set up through other advert services on other websites and social networking platforms. That is, after all, how this whole 'advertising' thing works.

Facebook is not an intermediary, is it a social networking platform. No one has to go through Facebook to get anything done on either end. If I want to interact with Madman via Facebook, I can choose to 'like' their page and receive updates there. It doesn't stop me coming here. It doesn't stop me being able to contact Madman via their email address nor subscribe to their newsletter.

When it comes to Facebook UI changes somehow demonstrating the supposed 'problem' here, well, it doesn't sound like you use Facebook much. There is nothing keeping me on Facebook in some 'evil' way. I still go to Madman's website, as well as the Madboards. I've been using Facebook for about the same length as I have the Madboards.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: