Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Need some more "good" anime to watch

Need some more "good" anime to watch
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Need some more "good" anime to watch Reply with quote
So I posted this on another forum, but I thought I'd get some local input as well and see how we go.

I'm really very sorry for my quite broad criteria, but honestly, I haven't seen a good series in a while, and I'd really like to watch some decent anime again. Basically I'm looking for a good story, interesting characters, an emotional investment with the previous two, and a real climax.

If any of you guys have the time, you could check out my List and give me recommendations off of that. But without that, I'd like to mention my favourite series, and why I liked them.

Cowboy Bebop:
This one showed me that Anime was more than just boyish power fantasies like DBZ. It was just oozing with cool, and when I started really watching I discovered fun episodes, great characters, some real tearjerker episodes, and a good conclusion.

Samurai Champloo:
Ditto for the above, but a different setting.

Serial Experiments Lain:
I love these "thinking" anime that really put the mind in a completely different place. The suspenseful story coupled with that brooding atmosphere really made this show very unique and more of an experience than just "a show".

Neon Genesis:
More thinking anime, a little bit more exploitative in that it just draws upon lots of tropes, but I love the Shinji character study and the mysterious conspiracy plot line that I kinda forgot where it went...

Haibane Renmei:
It really shows how great ABe and crew are at designing atmosphere, this one was completely serene and almost hypnotizing. I loved the drama of the show, which was really only the protagonist and two other key characters coming to terms with identity. Good stuff.

GTO:
Just some simple, serialized whackiness, and Onizuka is just a very entertaining character for the ways he deals with situations.

Melancholy of Haruhi:
The basic high school moeblob BUT with added elements of sci-fi and mystery. Makes for a great hybrid of sorts that kept me very entertained.

Welcome to the NHK!:
A simple show about some deeply flawed individuals, which made it a lot easier to associate with than most shows out there. It didn't let itself get too dark by introducing elements of humour, and the escapades of the three main characters was fun to watch.

Ghost in the Shell (movies 1 & 2):
Your basis for all the mystery and suspense anime for years to come. It took the Blade Runner question of whether androids are really people, and tied it to an investigation story. The second got a little too carried away and became a little pretentious, but a good watch nonetheless.

Grave of the Fireflies:
A simple story of children caught in extreme circumstances, the adventures they go through, and the heart wrenching ending. Beautiful.

FLCL:
Distilled and condensed Japanese madness, despite not knowing what was going on, it was just so crazy and insane, you couldn't stop watching. Soundtrack was also EXCELLENT.

Trigun:
Another hybrid series of sorts, the first half was you typical comedy romp, while the second became very dramatic and probed the character of Vash. I remember the ending was quite abrupt and disappointing though.

That's probably just about it for my favourites, I've crawled through other recommendations and put them on my List under Plan to Watch. I also have movies/series I've "acquired" and are ready to watch, I just don't have suitable encouragement to really start watching. And I'm really trying to do good and start buying my anime, and as such I've kinda slowed down my watching as well. Really want to get hard copies of my favourites first, then move onto new stuff (in terms of purchases, I still want to d/l a series if it has my immediate interest, and I'll consider the purchase after watching.)

That was probably longer than your usual recommendation topic, so thanks in advance to those who take the time and read all this!
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't recomend d/loading anything that has been licensed since that's not good. You should have a look at some magazines like Otaku USA, Mym and Neo for anime.

Titles to recomend. :

Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex/2Gig/Solid State Society

Baccano

Rurouni Kenshin

Heroic Age

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Knight of L-sama
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try Planetes. It's essentially a blue collar work drama... in space.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
Try Planetes. It's essentially a blue collar work drama... in space.

I agree with that. I got vol 1 with box for supplying MM info about what extra's to use. Got them to talk to EOS Space Systems which is in the extras

Planetes is also a bit different to the manga. If anything, I think the anime is better simply due to the fact, that there's no aliens in it, unlike the last 2 vols of the manga.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
[..]

I agree with that. I got vol 1 with box for supplying MM info about what extra's to use. Got them to talk to EOS Space Systems which is in the extras

Planetes is also a bit different to the manga. If anything, I think the anime is better simply due to the fact, that there's no aliens in it, unlike the last 2 vols of the manga.

I had no idea that Planetes had aliens in the manga, so glad they didn't have them in the anime because I think that would've ruined it for me. But I have to agree with Planetes it is excellent.

As for my suggestion maybe Durarara
Sethscar
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex/2Gig/Solid State Society

Baccano

Backing both of these, Baccano is one of the most under-rated shows ever.
Kurano
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
I don't recomend d/loading anything that has been licensed since that's not good. You should have a look at some magazines like Otaku USA, Mym and Neo for anime.

Oh yeah, I've slowed down quite a bit on anime watching anyway, and I'm more than glad to plonk down some money for a quality series. It was just that before I really got into it, $100 for a 26 episode series was really painful, and I didn't really know if anime was my thing or not.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Feball3001 wrote:
[..]

I had no idea that Planetes had aliens in the manga, so glad they didn't have them in the anime because I think that would've ruined it for me. But I have to agree with Planetes it is excellent.

It is 1 alien posing as a human and Tanabe finds out by accident. That was quite interesting, but would've been better without it.
Quote:

Part 1
Tanabe meets and befriends The Baron, a fellow debris hauler who claims he is an alien from the planet Retikle on a mission to make a hundred friends on Earth.

Also in the manga, the Von Braun that Hachi and his father is on makes it to Jupiter.

Blaze
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Based on your criteria I would suggest the following:

Noein
Tears of Tiara
Slayers
Starship Operators
Outlaw Star
Freedom
Aruki
Hajime Saitou