Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Manifest 2013

Manifest 2013
Author
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Manifest 2013 Reply with quote
I think the last time I went to Manifest was back in 2004 and it was at Melbourne University. It sure has changed a bit since then.

From what I remember back then they played a lot of bootleg (I guess it's called bootleg, but anime that hadn't been released here yet) anime and the screening venues were always pretty packed, but this year there were four screening venues from the different distributors showing their anime (no bootlegs, fair enough) but the venues I went to had very little people in them watching.

One thing I found annoying was the lack of clear indication of where to go for the screening venues. I found two alright, but it wasn't until hours later did I figure out where the Madman venue was (boy did I feel silly when I found it was just around the corner).

I watched the last bit of the Cosplay Idol and the start of the Cosplay competition and that was fun.

One thing I learnt this year was was to bring more money! I only had enough for 1 blu-ray dvd (1st Berserk movie Smile ), food, and a Neon Genesis Asuka bookmark that I got Tiffany Grant to sign. There was so much stuff there I wanted to get, but oh well.

I enjoyed my time there this year but I think in the future I'll have to invest more time and money to get the most enjoyment out of it.

Anyone else from here go this year? I know back in the day a lot of madboarders would go.

Also, did anyone else think that a lot of people lazy-cosplayed by just wearing a onesie? Seriously, it was like onesies everywhere... wish I wore a onesie
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifest 2013 Reply with quote
bardock wrote:
Also, did anyone else think that a lot of people lazy-cosplayed by just wearing a onesie? Seriously, it was like onesies everywhere... wish I wore a onesie

Does it count if it's a home-made cosplay onesie of a character (such as Kyubey)?
Because I was kinda planning to go in the Kyuubey outfit I made next convention I can make it to. Embarassed

Also if you went this year may I ask if there was an AMV competition? I entered one but I think I entered into a 2012 competition that there was no 2013 equivalent to... Rolling Eyes
(Apologies for speaking of AMVs, but at least I am not linking to one?)
Night Stalker
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went to Manifest, but I'm always disappointed with the lack of Anime and Manga there. For the main Anime con of the year, having only 2 main vendors there selling it is stupid. There was about a handful of smaller vendors that had some Manga for sale, but nothing special. Sounds like places like SMASH and AVCON get better Manga bargain sellers; really sucks.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Manifest has long stopped being an anime/manga convetion and is pretty much just a cosplay convention now. It's a little disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bardock
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Manifest 2013 Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:

Also if you went this year may I ask if there was an AMV competition?

Yes there was but I didn't go to it. Should have but I forgot.

Gouki wrote:
Manifest has long stopped being an anime/manga convetion and is pretty much just a cosplay convention now. It's a little disappointing.

That's sad. Sad So many people there like anime but everyone just wants to dress up, no one wants to watch any.

Oh yeah, there was this stall-thing there that was closed off and it took me a while to figure out it was some sort of restaurant that had Japanese (I guess?) women dressed in maid outfits. You could only see inside if you went in but I wasn't interested as there was no menu out front so the idea of paying to get my picture taken with a Japanese maid seemed like a total waste of money. Really, has zero interest for me.
Night Stalker
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That place would have been the Dokidoki Station, a maid cafe.

I saw inside, but didn't go in; they had a few people at the tables. Maids were pretty cute, but as you said; no menu.

Probably would have been expensive.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There, uh, was a menu outside the Maid Cafe. There was also always someone outside willing to explain the whole concept of it to you and show you the menu options.

It was expensive and also a little creepy. It's been a feature of Manifest ever since it moved to the showgrounds, too.

here's an article I wrote about Manifest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bardock
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

here's an article I wrote about Manifest.

Nice review. I agree that Manifest does need a bit of working on. The games, the screening venues, etc. I swear I had to show my pass like a thousand times on Sunday.

About the screening venues, I take it that now it's a no-no to screen unlicensed stuff?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Err, it was always a no-no to screen unlicensed stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bardock
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

They played a few eps of Akazukin Chacha years ago and I checked on the net and its not licensed (which is a shame because I remember it being very funny). Was it always a 'no-no don't you dare' or was it a 'no-no we'll look the other way for now'?
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Now, maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: