Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Goodbye, Manifest

Goodbye, Manifest
Author
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Goodbye, Manifest Reply with quote
(Posting here so people actually see it).

Manifest made the decision yesterday to close for good.

I know a lot of us on the Madboards have fond memories of Manifest, and a fair number of us have been involved in it at some point or another.

For me, this is bittersweet. As much as I've complained about the poor management of the convention at various times, it's also been an amazing experience to be involved with. I'll write a more comprehensive post on my blog about it during the week.

If you have Twitter or Facebook, you can use the #manimemories hashtag to collect your thoughts with all the others.

Share your favourite Manifest moments here, and feel free to ask me, Nargun or HB anything you want about our experiences behind the scenes of Australia's first anime convention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Andy_ubio
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a shame, considering there is pretty much no other anime focused convention of its size in melb (or Australia really)
Supanova used to have quite a heavy anime influence, but the past few years its really dropped off and been more and more pop culture centric. There used to be multiple high profile Anime VA guests (US and JP) and multiple panels and orher anime bases wvehts and games. The past few years has seen the anime side of the con really drop off.
And then theres Armageddon which is mostly sci-fi and little but of games.

So for something that is purely anime and manga focused to go is a real shame...
(Even if it had mostly turned into pretty much a "cosplay con", where a lot of people didn't actually seem to care about the events and panels and stalls and seem to just use it as a place for cosplayers to get together and show off.)
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like i said on twitter, manifest was the first con I went to about 3/4 years ago. It really was the best experience but for some reason or another I never made it back after that.

But from what I heard the general gist was that manifest was slowly on the downhill which is furthermore a shame. It really had that friendly "like your own family" feel that you really can't seem to find in the other larger events.

But I suppose all good things must come to an end. Farewell Manifest, it was fun.
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm quite surprised, Manifest was the first convention I had heard of, and while I never went it was thanks to Manifest that I was aware of anime conventions in the first place.
Dime_fan3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Such a shame, my first Manifest was back in 2004, and each one I've gone to since has been a great experience. I have missed the last two though, due to being interstate and unable to get down for the event. From what I hear from some on twitter/facebook this past one was a shell of what it once was.

The strange thing is while Manifest is ending, Smash is expanding. I wonder why....

I have a new blog!

http://thirtypixels.wordpress.com
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been attending Manifest every year since the second one, and been involved in running it to some degree for... I can't actually remember how long. Most of that time, I think. Years and years, certainly.

Attending it has always been enjoyable. From the humble beginnings as a somewhat glorified marathon screening to the variety of panels and events it's held in more recent years, they've always been fond experiences. Not without the odd hiccup of course, but I've always come away with it with something I've been happy with - particularly when the traders got into full swing.

Running it... well, that's certainly been an experience. There's been times it's been stressful, times it's been frustrating, times it's been very hard work. But there's been some very good times behind the scenes too. Going out to dinner after committee meetings, drinking too much and playing video games at things like the New Years party, just talking about everything and nothing with the various other people also running it.

I will miss it. As has already been mentioned, it is - or was, rather - the only really anime-focused convention in Australia, and that's what I loved it for, because that's what I always wanted out of a convention. I can only hope that another will rise up to fill the void left by it, but nothing will truly be able to replace it.
evil_kenshin
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I admit I only went to manifest once (cant recall what exact year but it was at melb uni)due to the lack of getting friends to come a 2nd time but a shame its closing down

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: