Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

R3 Orders: What Are You Getting?

R3 Orders: What Are You Getting?
Author
Belldandy

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: R3 Orders: What Are You Getting? Reply with quote
Gah, Sorry to make a thread about this.
I just feel bad posting it in the R2 thread because there is nowhere else to put it.
But I figure I might as well make it, for the very occasional R3 purchases people here might make >.> I made the thread title the same as the others though so it doesn't look ugly and out of place.
So this thread is for Region 3 DVD purchases (or Blu-ray equivalents) of course. Please refrain from posting bootlegs from countries considered "Region 3", a lot of bootlegs can be found from those countries, please only post here if you are completely certain you have ordered an official release. Thank you.

Anyway:

I just received my copy of Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children) from Hong Kong today. It is a legitimate release from Neovision.
Neovision released 3 different versions of this film, 1 and 2 disc DVDs and a Blu-Ray. Only the 2-Disc DVD edition has English subtitles.
Looking at the subtitles they appear to be the same as the subtitles Madman was given for the screenings of the film. Those were pretty good subtitles (and I trust the translation to be of high quality too, though I compared it to a fansub set and they are roughly the same in terms of translation so I can assume it's a decent translation Razz) so I am quite pleased with the subtitles on this release.

Only the film has English subtitles as far as I see, the rest is subtitled in Cantonese I think. It's also in quite a nice slipcase (which was unfortunately damaged in shipping but that's just my luck).

I also plan on purchasing Madman's release, I just couldn't NOT buy this considering how much I fell in love with it after Madman organised a wonderful screening of the film for us. I had to have it Laughing
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to movie 4989, apparently DS Media in Korea are releasing "Letter to Momo" on BD with English subs;
Quote:
자막 : 한국어 영어 일본어
That's Korean, English and Japanese subs. YesAsia is only listing Korean and Japanese subs, so I'm not sure if I should take the plunge. The DVD version didn't include subs (or YesAsia isn't listing them).
boredandlazy
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll let someone else be the guinea pig for that one... Razz
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, so the Korean BD of "A Letter To Momo" doesn't have English subs, but the Hong Kong DVD does; DDD House, Yesasia.com, Play Asia. No Cantonese dub, which is a bit odd. I don't know what the likelihood of this film is being picked up in the US or UK, so I might just go with the R3.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
I don't know what the likelihood of this film is being picked up in the US or UK, so I might just go with the R3.

I am pretty sure Gkids (The company who got the latest Ghibli film - From Up On Poppy Hill) recently announced Letter to Momo so it might be worth waiting a bit longer if a dub matters to you.
Loki4life
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: R3 Orders: What Are You Getting? Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:

I just received my copy of Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children) from Hong Kong today. It is a legitimate release from Neovision.
Neovision released 3 different versions of this film, 1 and 2 disc DVDs and a Blu-Ray. Only the 2-Disc DVD edition has English subtitles.
Looking at the subtitles they appear to be the same as the subtitles Madman was given for the screenings of the film. Those were pretty good subtitles (and I trust the translation to be of high quality too, though I compared it to a fansub set and they are roughly the same in terms of translation so I can assume it's a decent translation Razz) so I am quite pleased with the subtitles on this release.

I absolutely adored Wolf Children, more than words could say. I fully intend to pick up Madman's (presumably) blu-ray release whenever it comes out, but would you say this is worth picking up just for the collectors value? Given that it's only $20 right now I am tempted to pick it up purely so I can display it.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bizarrely most of the online retailers (Yesasia, DDDHouse and Play Asia) are now saying AVP's "Wolf Children" BD has English subtitles like the DVD version.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My "A Letter To Momo" DVD and "Wolf Children" BD arrived today. Yes, the "Wolf Children" BD does have English subtitles. If you can't wait for the Funimation version and want sub only with no extras to speak of, then you might as well pick this up.

Eos Entertainment in Korea is releasing "The Life of Guskou Budori" on DVD with English subtitles. It's a 2012 Gisaburo Sugii film based on a Kenji Miyazawa story. Gisaburo Sugii did the the 1985 film "Night on the Galactic Railroad", also based on a Miyazawa story with cats as the main characters.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neo Vision will be releasing Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo in Hong Kong in late August. Both the BD and DVD will have English subs. It's not up for pre-order yet though.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pre-orders for "Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo" are up;

Yesasia DVD BD
DDDHouse BD
Play-Asia DVD BD

Deltamac in Hong Kong is releasing English subbed DVDs and BDs of "The Garden of Words", but it's already been released in the US, so there's probably no point in getting that. It's around the same price as Sentai's discs.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Might as well resurrect this thread.

Some newish stuff;

Buddha 2: The Endless Journey
Deltamac, Hong Kong (English Subtitles)

Yesasia DVD BD
DDDHouse DVD BD
Play-Asia DVD BD

Also there the two GitS SAC Blu-ray boxes released by DS Media in Korea with the English Dub and English subtitles. The boxes are Kimchi DVD exclusives unfortunately.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig

Edit: Just noticed that nearly two years on, there's still no other English language release of Evangelion 3.33 than the Hong Kong Neo Vision version.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: