Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

What Anime do you own that looks best on Blu-ray?

What Anime do you own that looks best on Blu-ray?
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: What Anime do you own that looks best on Blu-ray? Reply with quote
The Studio Ghibli films look gorgeous in my opinion.

Also, surprisingly, K-on The Movie is probably the sharpest looking Blu-ray I've seen in terms of Anime at least. Wink

A friend of mine said he doesn't get the point of Anime on Blu-ray. His argument was "they're just lines." Honestly, at the end of the day he does have a point but I will continue to support buying Anime physically for as long as I can.

I think though, once Blu-ray has had it's day I'll stop collecting. Space has become an issue for me right now. I think 4k physical media will be the last of things before everything becomes primarily digital. Just my opinion though. Smile Will start making use of this forum more often. Thanks guys.
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Naturally, any movie by Miyazaki, Hosoda or Shinkai look fantastic on blu-ray, with Garden of Words and Wolf Children being my favourite PQ wise. Other personal favourites for high quality background art and/or sharp animation are A Lull in the Sea, Attack on Titan, Flip Flappers, FMA Sacred Star of Milos, Grimgar, Madoka Magica, Penguindrum, One Piece Film Z, One Punch Man, Psychic School Wars, and others but these are a quick few in my head that stood out.

I would be listing a LOT more series by studios like KyoAni and Studio Bones, although that's too much to list here!
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sabmabab wrote:
Naturally, any movie by Miyazaki, Hosoda or Shinkai look fantastic on blu-ray, with Garden of Words and Wolf Children being my favourite PQ wise. Other personal favourites for high quality background art and/or sharp animation are A Lull in the Sea, Attack on Titan, Flip Flappers, FMA Sacred Star of Milos, Grimgar, Madoka Magica, Penguindrum, One Piece Film Z, One Punch Man, Psychic School Wars, and others but these are a quick few in my head that stood out.

I would be listing a LOT more series by studios like KyoAni and Studio Bones, although that's too much to list here!

Madman's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Selecta Vision master) isn't the best PQ wise. Neither was Madman's earlier printings of Your Name (though the new printings are very good).
Speeny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's good that I finally got a couple of replies on this thread. This forum seemed so much more active back when I joined in 2014. Oh well. Sad
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's quite a few which come to mind. The Bandai Entertainment/Honneamise (USA) version of "Akira" looks pretty nice. I think this disc is a dupe of the version Bandai Visual released in Japan.

Nozomi Entertainment's "Utena" box set is really nice. All the Anime's "Escaflowne" box set is also pretty good, possibly a whole lot better than Funimation's discs. All the Anime's "Psychic School Wars" looks stunning as well, even though a lot of people don't like the film itself.

The other sets which comes to mind is Discotek's "Magic Knight Rayearth" and Maiden Japan's "Patlabor" Early Days OVA (first OVA series). I think both were shot on 35mm film and both had pretty good transfers, but I think Maiden Japan did a better authoring job than Bandai Visual did for the Japanese blu-ray.
Speeny
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
There's quite a few which come to mind. The Bandai Entertainment/Honneamise (USA) version of "Akira" looks pretty nice. I think this disc is a dupe of the version Bandai Visual released in Japan.

Nozomi Entertainment's "Utena" box set is really nice. All the Anime's "Escaflowne" box set is also pretty good, possibly a whole lot better than Funimation's discs. All the Anime's "Psychic School Wars" looks stunning as well, even though a lot of people don't like the film itself.

The other sets which comes to mind is Discotek's "Magic Knight Rayearth" and Maiden Japan's "Patlabor" Early Days OVA (first OVA series). I think both were shot on 35mm film and both had pretty good transfers, but I think Maiden Japan did a better authoring job than Bandai Visual did for the Japanese blu-ray.

Nice list.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: