Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Arson Attack at Kyoto Animation

Arson Attack at Kyoto Animation
Author
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Arson Attack at Kyoto Animation Reply with quote
24 Dead and dozens injured at an arsonist attack at Kyoto Animation studios

The suspected arsonist has been detained and is in police custody. He was seen throwing some sort of liquid, presumed to be an accelerant onto the fire and yelling threats at those in the building.

I... don't know what to say really.
strideryb
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's horrific! Hopefully the 33 (!) toll doesn't climb any higher, and the injured recover fully.

I can never understand how someone can lose it enough to do this kind of atrocity, but coherent enough to actually have the skills to carry it out.

Initial reports that it was someone unknown to the studio (not a disgruntled ex-employee).

BTW: Here's the ABC article if anyone can't use ad-blocker like me. News.com.au had ads all over the article.
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really unfortunate. It's been known for a while that most people working in the industry, especially animators are treated poorly.
Definitely not an excuse to go an do something as heartless as this though.

I really loved Kyoto Animation's work on Clannad, Kanon, Air...and the Haruhi Suzumiya titles too.

Air was the first Anime that I bought on DVD. It changed my life along with Clannad & Kanon. Those series really make you feel like becoming a better person.
I think Tasuya Ishihara directed most of them.

Last edited by Speeny on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
strideryb wrote:
Initial reports that it was someone unknown to the studio (not a disgruntled ex-employee).

Ah I see, I was guessing it was an employee originally.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's a Go Gund Me to help support those effected if anyone wants to help out.
strideryb
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
There's a Go Gund Me to help support those effected if anyone wants to help out.

Thanks for the heads up. Happy to contribute in a small way.

<Strikeout>Was the default tip for Go-Fund me always 15%? I thought they were 5% + CC processing fees.<\Strikeout>
EDIT: Dr Google FTW. They changed to voluntary donations on personal campaigns Dec 2017. Used to be 5% + 2.9% processing + 30 cents per donation.
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Man, I can't believe this happened to the studio I held in the absolute highest regard. I watched Clannad in 2009/2010, and it quite literally changed my life. I started looking at things differently and changed my outlook on life in general. My mum passed shortly after and the Kyoani shows in particular (K-On!, Kanon, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc.) entertained me and helped through a time I was grieving. Kyoani has done so much for me personally, that it's almost impossible to process that someone would hate the company so much, to burn the building with the entire staff still inside? It's too much.

I pray for Kyoani's long recovery.

edit: Forgot to mention that I donated $10 to Sentai's gofundme. It isn't much, especially in comparison to the one million dollars+ they have already received, but I needed to return the favour somehow to the company that gave so much more to me.
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sabmabab wrote:
Man, I can't believe this happened to the studio I held in the absolute highest regard. I watched Clannad in 2009/2010, and it quite literally changed my life. I started looking at things differently and changed my outlook on life in general. My mum passed shortly after and the Kyoani shows in particular (K-On!, Kanon, Haruhi Suzumiya, etc.) entertained me and helped through a time I was grieving. Kyoani has done so much for me personally, that it's almost impossible to process that someone would hate the company so much, to burn the building with the entire staff still inside? It's too much.

I pray for Kyoani's long recovery.

edit: Forgot to mention that I donated $10 to Sentai's gofundme. It isn't much, especially in comparison to the one million dollars+ they have already received, but I needed to return the favour somehow to the company that gave so much more to me.

Great post man & my late condolences to your mum.

I agree, those series really make you want to become a better person. Easily some of my favourites for sure. I watched Clannad/Afterstory in 2011 I believe. I wasn't attending school at the time. I was probably 13-14 around then. It really resonated with me. Kyoto Animation really took the VN & the harem genre a step further.

If you liked Kanon btw, I recently watched the 2002 adaptation. It's nothing in comparison to the 2006 version though, Just my opinion. Razz Yuuichi is much more jolly...where as Kyoto's version really hit the nail on the head. It's a solid example of the source material.
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:

Thank-you. I will definitely donate.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:
Really unfortunate. It's been known for a while that most people working in the industry, especially animators are treated poorly.
Definitely not an excuse to go an do something as heartless as this though.
Kyoto Animation is known for paying a regular wage unlike the majority of the industry, places female staff in higher roles, has an extended maternity leave policy in place for it's employees, has a ban on recurring overtime, takes time to train up new staff etc, so you're totally off the mark in that regard.

This is also why it's such a tragedy, the studio beloved by anime fandom that treats it's staff really well, promotes women to higher positions on projects was attacked in such a way.
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
[..]

Kyoto Animation is known for paying a regular wage unlike the majority of the industry, places female staff in higher roles, has an extended maternity leave policy in place for it's employees, has a ban on recurring overtime, takes time to train up new staff etc, so you're totally off the mark in that regard.

This is also why it's such a tragedy, the studio beloved by anime fandom that treats it's staff really well, promotes women to higher positions on projects was attacked in such a way.

My apologies then. I guess I was just thinking in general terms from what I've heard come out of some of these studios. Then again, this isn't necessarily fact. It's just what I've heard and I base my opinion around that.
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:
Great post man & my late condolences to your mum.

Much appreciated. ^_^

Thanks to their business practices, they put such high production values in each and every piece of work that they do, which definitely give me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, a long lasting impression of a great story with great characters.

And the people who made this all possible is the incredible staff, they are the least deserving of anything as awful as this.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There must be a load of private grieving by all the family, friends and fellow staff of those who were in that building, plus all the Japanese and other language voice staff and all who contributed music to Kyoto Animation's shows.

Some people who had a strong connection to Kyoto Animation have gone silent on social media since then.

Their animation and one of the seiyuu made me want to visit Japan enough to get there in 2011 - and somehow I actually met the seiyuu.

The entire industry including the voice actors, singers, musicians and composers for anime, not just those who worked on Kyoto Animation's work are grieving.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noticed blog posts from:

Minori Chihara:

https://lineblog.me/minori_parade/archives/1852785.html

Aya Hirano:

https://ameblo.jp/hirano--aya/entry-12496699788.html

and a couple of tweets from Hiroaki Yura:

https://twitter.com/Yuraphy/status/1153100608745816064

https://twitter.com/Yuraphy/status/1153101083872337920

Page 1 of 1