Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

last episode

last episode
Author
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2000 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see your not to clever... lol... however I will repost what I said in the other thread....

I pity u, u dont even fully appreciate EVA... I imagine u would be watching EVA for the Action or something pointless like that. How can someone watch EVA and hate the last 2 episodes... that was the whole point of EVA. Anno Hidiaki (Sp?) the writer and director of EVA... was facing a serious case of depression.. and EVA was his expression and outlook on life. The first 24 episodes were a lead up to the last 2.... EVA IS basically the last 2 episodes.. without them it is pointless.
The whole point of EVA was to reflect the characters developments... and show the inner turmoil faced by these characters. Thats what made it so interesting... the philosophy between the characters, this human element. Each character goes through intense conflict and turmoil which eats themselves away many of the characters suffer from surveer cases of depression.... Ep 1 - 24 was a lead up to the last two eps..... a giant gap was intentionally left. 3rd Impact had occured the merger of all people... to complement our souls.

For at the core of all people we are empty man yearns to learn about his existence.... but never is complete so... to irradiate this emptiness the complementation of man is shown a true paradise. For what true paradise is their.... one without conflict, sadness and pain... however to eradicate them would irradiate what it is to be human... by some means of devine fate Shinji was left to make the decision the last 2 episodes reflect this decision. At the end of it all after evaluating all what has occured, with all the pain Shinji had faced he bravely decided that man could live in a world of pain.. for to irradiate pain would irradiate love, happiness and what it is to be human this is the point where Shinji adopted all attributes of the siphroth... being the bravest character in EVA... redeeming himself for a life time of drifting.

In reality if we evolved we would only be angels... mindless, senseless, beings.... in a pile of primordial soup only relying on instincts. Just saying that u didn't like EVA cause of the last eps presents to me that u only like EVA for the reality/physical side.... Anno surveere case of depression is what makes EVA interesting.... this Human element... the issue of what is life and intelligent life. The Qabbalah(Kabbalah) is the underlying tone under EVA... and it is used to show the progress of Shinji.... it is the philosophy used in EVA... and I am only scarcely aware of the complexities of the concept.

On the physical side... of course the obvious statement is that their are religious references but that is only on face value... yes their are references from Qabbalah, Christianity, Buddism, Judaism, Shinto... however they only added to the theme of EVA... it was not the focus... Christianity is NOT the only religion used in EVA.... it is in my opinion one of the least used...

The movie End of Evangelion (EoE) was made to please the superficial fans... a cry from the crowds wanting a more realistic end to EVA... hence the movie... however rather good... and consistent with EVA... it focused on the reality side of the events of 3rd impact.. of course I would of been happy not knowing exactly what events took place, but still Anno had it all planned out anyway.. in Ep 25 26... clues were let to the events of what takes place in EoE... e.g. Misato Shot... Ritsuko laying in LCL, Asuka under water in Unit-02.... this was an intentional tease to **** of those that only like EVA... for the physical events.

EVA has been considered by many people that it could EASILY be taught at a University level. The movie and the series complement each other. 3rd Impact is a difficult thing to descibe and I dont think Anno could possible descibe what he felt but he did a very good effort in the ep 25 and 26. The movies were planned to be bigger, more flasher, and more action, with a larger budget then what the series was. That is fine... but EoE is nothing without ep 25 and 26 to back it up.

Shinji is a distubed individual he has killed the one person who he understood fully he is fears Rei because of knowing that it is not the REAL thing... he fears Misato because he wont let anyone get close to him. However Shinji does have... how do I say... almost a preset destiny with Auska... I would almost say that it is destiny that they end up together. In the series tention is formed between the two and even adolensent sexual tension... kissing. They do care for each other... even if neither will admit it. Shinji had no respect for himself because he believed that if anyone really got to know him they would hate him.. and that was somthing he feared. This was brought on from such a low level of self esteem believeing he is not worthy, since being pushed away from his family... that he is onyl worthy if he pilots EVA.

In the series when the statement posed to Shinji is that this is the world we he descides mankind's fate... it was expressing what would happen if mankind did evolve... he expressed that he didnt want the world were everyone died.. and 3rd impact is very closely related to death. Eventually by the end of the series Shinji understood that he could live on without the mergeure of eveyone... he could exists in the real world... he did not fear people as much as he did... it was the relisation of the errors of his previous actions which caused him to reject the mergure of mankind.

I will admit that it would seem that the series did end on a lighter and happier note than the movies did. EoE was definetly darker.. but I would not call it a sad ending. I rather see that EoE ended with the sign of renewed life... of hope... of a new beginning. Yes the world may of evolve or it may return to how it was. But if it evolved and Shinji and Auska are left on Earth it shows a sign of new life. When Noah's Ark got flooded and him and his wife reached the 'new land' in the bible it was not a sad story is one full of promise and hope of a fresh start. If Mankind returns to how it was it still is not a sad ending.... in time all will be well. Either way it is not a sad ending.

I dont think that the movies or the series descibe 3rd Impact as 'heaven'... yes it is certainly could be argued it is bliss. A world without pain or suffering in the movie Shinji is overwelmed by the temptation of 3rd Impact but... he just relises to himself that this is a world without pain and suffering but is also deprived of love and happiness. This relisation that 3rd impact is not what he believes mankind should have is expressed in the series. This is where the series fits in. Yes defineltly the series had time to express many issues while the movies only brought up the fact their would be no love. However this is not an inconistancy. As I said early the series and the movies complement each other. And at annaylsing EVA at this depth that connection between the two is even more visible.

No she knew entering EVA was a sacrifice she never said that she would be without people... she said that she COULD exist without mankind... even without the stars and the planets. She did say she would be alone though. This is true if mankind did die from a bad 3rd impact irradicating mankind she would live alone... but she would be living. She wanted to be the soul of EVA because she had a chance to help Shinji, to look after Shinji... and yes she did want to express the idea that he did have a bright future... and this is true. Both in my oppion the series and movies ended in the concept of a euforic hopeful sensation. Yui would of live lonely for million million years if mankind had died... but with the mergure of mankind she is reunited with Gendou and i think that is a happy thought.

Ok well in summary these are my oppions and thoughts on NG character development. This is the true meaning of EVA, the expression of the characters thoughts and emotions. Dont except all this as dogma, many thing I say may well be wrong.. it is a very complex discussion to make about the characters because it involves a lot of personal oppion. But when I first approached this disccussion I realised I brought along a personaly bias and had to re write many things because of it. I do see their is slight variation between the two. But I dont think it warrants enough to call it an incostancy. I know this is long winded... but if u loved EVA enough u would of read this.... the thirst for knowledge is prepetual....

Hyper C
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to back Access up here. Without the final 2 episodes, Eva would just be another good anime, not the work of art that it is. There are a lot of people who winge about episodes 25 & 25, and I pity them. I pity them for only taking in action, I pity them for not followingthe story as deeply as they could and I pity them for not noticing the character development. The last two episodes are a brillient work of psychology, this stuff lasts. The first few episedes of Eva can get slightly (but only slightly) boaring after a while. But the last episodes are immortal. Discover the brillience of them and them will live in you forever

Hyper C
koolkabanna
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amen, Access... Amen.
Peon
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SPOLIER!!!

This is my interpretation, so not accurate, but I just want to answer it anyway!!:
Asuka got in a bad state after she got mind raped. And she also got depressed for she wasnt able the defeat the angels. Rei out of all people had to save her, let alone Shinji. So in the end she felt very suicideal. NERV had to take her in. When SEELE's army(??) was attacking NERV, Asuka was placed in unit02 under the water bit in the Geo front. The army was firing bombs into the water and as this was happening Asuka was saying "I don't want to die" over and over again. Then her mother(?) spoke saying I won't let you die. So Asuaka discoverd her mother was with her all the time. Unit02 then got activated, and Asuka started to fight the army. The Evas cable got cut, then she goes destroying all the helicopters which is what your probably reffering too ^_^!
bLoBbY
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2000 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I loved the last 2 episodes, a fantastic end to an excelent anime.

------------------
Fav Eva quotes:

"While I'd rather be between Misato's melons, this is where I'd like to be when I die." - Kaji

"I'm sorry newcomer, but I HAD to clobber you." - Touji

"Thermal expansion, how embarrasing." - Shinji

"Grrrr... stuck up egotistical little... Who'd want to watch a snake changing it's skin anyway?" - Touji

"Cool cool cool cool cool!" - Kensuke

"Ahhh, lunch. My favorite part of the entire school day!" - Touji

"You Eva pilots sure are a bunch of wacko's." - Touji

"What? Are you stupid?" - Asuka
"Maybe I am..." - Shinji

"Hey, wanna be friends?" - Asuka
"If I'm ordered to I will." - Rei
"Weirdo..." - Asuka
Peon
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2000 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The bit where Asuka fights the army is actually from the movies
Anywho, what is Neon Genesis Evangelion: Revelations??? What is it about??
And I can't wait for the new street fighter!!
fragma147
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
eva:revelations? what never heard of it show me some proof it exists (webpages). the last thing i heard about a new series was a year ago, some guy started a roumour at school that there would be 52 episodes of eva 26 of death (the series now) and 26 of rebirth (the new one). but that was bull**** and everyone knows that death and rebirth is the name of the movie.
fragma147
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i looked at the page wow didn't know bout this new series. as for the savior robots i didn't see any pictures of them cause the link to them was broken but i believe the eva's will win. being biological they probably have much more power than those robots although its mostly hidden behind that armor of theirs eg. eva unit 1
koolkabanna
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, time to intervene before this gets out of hand...
*... deep breath...* Ok, now for starters there is NO Eva Revelation series... this series is the name two briliant writers have given to each of their individual fan-fictions... www.resurection.cyril.com and www.Eva-R.com both are good interpretations of a new series but... be serious here people a new series would turn a masterpiece into a mockery!... Im with Gainax on this one... leave the Eva series in the PAST, films I can understand (to an extent) but... No a new series would just not work.

And don't think Im burbling **** here... I used to believe that there was a new series as well!... However if you read each sites disclamer you'll find out that they are just a good fun read... (well, they word it slightly more formally than that!!! )
If you need anymore proof...
"DUH!!!" gainax is sick of Eva! its over 6 years old over there now and after the success of the series, the movies and if anyone remembers the Eva Concert about 2 or so years ago? oh it would have been spectacular to be their!... wait, go to www.eva2000.com ... or is it www.evacorp.com ... either way, go to one of these two and you can download the music of the concert (all the eva themes) and listen to various live portions of the event!!!

But im off track here, just accept that there will be no new series... Ok?

------------------
Lancia Longini Forever
Peon
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I highly doubt they would remake the evangelion series. It would be like someone remaking the Monolisa (how ever its spelt) or Michangelo's David and other such famous artworks.
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mona Lisa. It's a name.

------------------
Kermitron Enterprises
Wreaking Havoc Since 1982
fragma147
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
you're probably right about it being fake the box covers dont look right. actually from some other site i heard that evangelion resurection was a remake of the 2 movies
Access
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
EvaCorp..... grrrr... I hate that name...
Access
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2000 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Did the big bad eva corp do somthing wrong"
indeed... but we all agreed to leave it in the past... but I still havnt forgotten...
Access
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2000 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well here is an extract from the Red Cross Book.. with SOME useful info about EVA... I advise u read the RCB... but dont take it on as dogma.

[MAGI]

"A supercomputer whose foundation theory was completed by the late Dr.Akagi Naoko and implemented by her daughter, Dr.Akagi Ritsuko. It is said that MAGI is the brain of the secret agency NERV. It devises, revises and solves many of its mysteries and plans. MAGI is composed of three systems: MELCHIOR-1, BALTHASAR-2 and CASPER-3. Final decision is made after the conference of these 3 computers.

This computer is similar to human not just in the sense that it re-creates on a computer the dilemmas usually held by human, it is also similar in the sense that it uses a personality-transplant-OS which has the thought logic pattern of human transplanted to the computer. The thought logic pattern transplated to MAGI is that of Dr.Akagi Naoko. MELCHIOR-1, BALTHASAR-2 and CASPER-3 has the transplanted thought pattern of Naoko as a scientist, a mother and a woman respectively.

By the way, the name of "MAGI" comes from the name for the three wise men from the east who prophesized the birth of Jesus (PY's note: this seems to be a bit misinforming?) in the New Testament of Bible. MELCHIOR, BALTHASAR and CASPER are their respective names.

At the beginning of movie ep.25 "Air", started from MAGI #2 at Matsushiro, the five builds of MAGI from Germany, USA and China etc. tried to hack into the original MAGI sitting in the NERV HQ."

However I HAVE just written a big post on Naoko, Ritsuko and the MAGI... here;
http://www.madman.com.au/madboard/Forum10/HTML/000011.html
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2000 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 'brains' in the Magi are her personalities, of a woman, a mother and a scientist. These personalities alter the way each one thinks, and allows the Magi to observe problems from three different standpoints, so it can more accurately deal with problems.

Back onto the original topic, I watched Final Genesis again andp osted my opinions in Gohan's Final Genesis! thread.

------------------
Kermitron Enterprises
Access
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2000 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
When End of Eva hit the Japanese theates a little book could also be puchased called the Red Cross Book. Inside is a few pages on some of the stuff in EVA. It explains some of the things that they couldnt explain in the show.... or just restates some of the more ovious things in the show. Alot of sites have the Red Cross Book availible... just search for it.

However the RCB was NOT written by Anno... someone.. from Ganinx was paid to write the book.... and knowone knows ANYTHING about EVA except Anno. Even the person who was directing the Manga etc... didnt have a clue about half of what he was copying from the Anime. Their are few incorrect facts in the RCB and thus should not be taken on as gospel or fact. It should be consiodered just as any other opinion is...
koolkabanna
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2000 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In Lamonds terms...
The RCB was a small, loose leaf booklet which was issued out to members of the japanese populance whom were present during the screening of the Eva films. The contents were an (occasionally poor) discription of some of the, somewhat "shadowed" (shadowed meaning: hard to make sense of), issues that were present in the Eva series... There are plenty of sites where you can download a copy of a translated RCB. Try www.planetrevelation.com for starters...
Make up your own mind about the quality... m'kay?... You'll agree, without a doubt, that it is somewhat... Lame.

------------------
Lancia Longini Forever

[This message has been edited by koolkabanna (edited 15 December 2000).]
Hyper C
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by animeslayer:
Hey guys if u's watch Burn up w vol 2. U's can see a mecha that looks like Eva unit 1 just a bit bulkyer. It has the same face and colours.

The entire Burn Up W episode is an intended rip off of Eve.

Mech that looks like Eva one - BIG Budget needed
El Halagente then has ideas od its own (that prro bridge! )

and at the end of it all someones trapped inside it. hmm

Hyper C

Captain_Ginyu
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is supposed to be a rip off of eva, it's a ****-take!!!
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everyone is entitled to thier opinions, but those opinions shouldn't be slanderous.

------------------
Kermitron Enterprises
Hyper C
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by animeslayer:

It was a computer program. not some one.

dont make me quote Yuji

Hyper C

koolkabanna
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
might help that...

------------------
Lancia Longini Forever
SSJ Egg
Melfina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2001 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a quote from a primer about NGE on www.animeondvd.com
Quote:
NGE was originally a 26 part television series directed by Hideaki Anno that aired in Japan in 1995-96. These 26 episodes were intended to be the totality of the series from start to finish. However, despite a tremendous budget for a television series, the money ran out towards the end, leaving Anno-san without the funds to shoot his original script for episodes 25 and 26. The resulting final episodes, while enjoyed by many fans, caused an outcry by others - an outcry that was heard by Anno-san. Shortly after the initial TV run of the series ended he set about funding a new OVA ending to replace the television episodes 25 and 26, with a revised script based on his original

Now I don't know if this person has any idea what he's talking about but it seems that Anno didn't plan the last episodes from the start like someone said he did.

------------------
Tragedy is when I cut my finger.
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.
@ndy
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2001 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting...
@ndy
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2001 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know, that does have some cred, but I still hold the opinion that the last two episodes are the essense of Evangelion. Although, there still are a lot of unanswered questions at the end of the series, you still have enough information to draw your own conclusions (like some episodes of The Bill - except not so simple).
Access
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2001 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A statement by Anno Hideaki on July 10, 1995. Originally published in Anime FX Iss 10.

"The worldview (of SHINSEIKI EVANGELION is ) colored with a pessimistic vision. Actually, I started the story with a setting from which I had purged all feelings of optimism. A fourteen-year-old boy (Ikari Shinji) is afraid of getting close to other people. He tries to live in a closed world, making attempts to get to know him useless, and ruining efforts made to try and understand him. Convinced that, since he feels abandoned by his father, he is an unwanted person, he is yet a coward, unable even to commit suicide.

A 29 year-old woman (Katsuragi Misato) also keeps her contacts with others as light as possible. She protects herself by running away into relationships that are strictly on the surface. They are both afraid of being hurt. They might both be thought of as being unsuited to be heroes, lacking the strength of self that marks such a person. And yet I made them the heroes.

It is said that "To live is to change". I started this production with the desire that they and the world change by the time the story reaches its conclusion. That is my genuine sense of things. I am able to put all of myself into SHINSEIKI EVANGELION - a self who for four years was a wreck, unable to do anything. I began this thinking just one thing: "I mustn't run away"- after having done just that, run away, for four years - where all I was doing was simply not dying.

I thought of this production with the feeling that "I want to see if I can put these feelings on film." I know that this is a senseless, arrogant, and difficult course of action - but it is my objective. I don't know what the result will be... because the story has not yet ended in my mind. I don't know what will become of Shinji or Misato, or where they will go. This is because I don't know what the staff will be thinking as we go on.

I feel that this is irresponsible... But it is also natural, given that we are striving for a synchronization of ourselves and the world of the story. At present this is the only theory I can use to create, despite the risk of being 'derivative'. That is the only place where our 'original' exists, after all..."

"Now I don't know if this person has any idea what he's talking about but it seems that Anno didn't plan the last episodes from the start like someone said he did."
So after reading Annos statement, it seems no he didnt plan the last episodes but he hadnt planned anything.... of course their are rumours of an expired budget and such... maybe that is true.... however Anno in the end was satsifed with his creation.... he had no idea where his characters were going...
SSJ Egg
Melfina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2001 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very interseting. Thanks.

------------------
Tragedy is when I cut my finger.
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.
@ndy
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool, thanks Access. It's surprising to learn that Anno didn't even know himself (to some degree) what an epic he was to create.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: