Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Some movies are on......

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Some movies are on......
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lupin:
Drunken Master 1&2 have Jackie. DM2 is easily one of his best films.

DM3 stars Willie Chi, Andy Lau, Simon Yam & Michelle Reis (mmmmmm) and is directed by Liu Chia-Liang.

Ahhh, it must have been 2 that I saw recently then. Roman numerals give me a headache.
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Drunken Master 3?? I didn't even know there was such a thing! ~sigh~ *AZNSSJ writes down DM3 on list of movies to watch* I have a very long list of movies to watch, this weekend i'm going to watch Fong Sai Yuk and The Young and the Dangerous parts 1 & 3.
Anyway, back on topic, Nowhere to Hide is on this weekend, and tomorrow there is Wait and See on at 12:30pm on SBS.
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BUMP
Just bumping this thread, to remind everyone that Nowhere to Hide is on tonight at 11pm.
Armisael
.:Harlot:.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just cought the last half an hour of that movei. =(

Looked really really good. Wish I could of seen it from teh start. ><

------------------
poom poom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recently I saw a Korean flick called Legend of Gingko. It was brilliant. The themes represented in this film were love, friendship, betrayal and destiny. Add to that a lot of action, bloodshed and some decent cinematography and you got yourself one hell of a flick. When it eventually airs on SBS everyone should watch. Oh and it's a prequel to the 1996 movie the Gingko Bed. The films have very little in common though besides a tree.

------------------
Anime reviews, pictures, sounds and movies
100% Australian
Mangadude's Japanese Animation
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll remember to look out for that tree
Edit: Did anybody catch Unholy Desire or Seventeen years? I missed both, except for 5 minutes of Unholy Desire, which I've seen before....Anywho, tomorrow at 12:30am, Kitchen is on.

[This message has been edited by AznSupersaiyan21 (edited 22 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by AznSupersaiyan21 (edited 22 January 2003).]
mrgazpacho
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Har - this is way too late as well, but I just had to share it...

"Kitchen" was on SBS again the other night so I taped it. It's a Hong Kong adaptation of a Japanese novel by Mahoko "Banana" Yoshimoto.

It seems to be mostly your standard HK twee modern-love story, but nice all the same. It was a fun watch.

Anyway, the lead actress turns out to be Yasuko TOMITA (I couldn't pick her as Japanese - she looked like yet another one of thos HK girls). IMDB lists her as doing the voice for the shopping centre information attendant in my all-time favourite anime: My Neighbours The Yamadas! I was unnaturally happy when I discovered that.

------------------
--
Chris
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seventeen Years was very good. I taped it the last time it was on, and put off watching it for ages because I tend to have to be in a certain mood for Mainland dramas.

I like the HK production of Kitchen a lot too. The novel was adapted for film previously in 1989 by Yoshimitsu Morita, starring Ayako Kawahara in the role later performed by Yasuko Tomita.

[This message has been edited by Lupin (edited 27 January 2003).]
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's the next group of SBS screenings. Two premieres in amongst the repeats.

Feb 15th (Sat) 11:00pm - Baby Cart at The River Styx

Feb 21st (Fri) 12:30pm - Hanoi: Winter '46

Feb 21st (Fri) 1:00am - Sada

Feb 26th (Wed) 10:00pm - Love Letter

Feb 28th (Fri) 12:30pm - Hidden Whisper

March 1st (Sat) 11:00pm - Ghost Vixen

Well, let's see.

Baby Cart At The River Styx is the best (imo, o'course) of the LW&C series, so you need to see that.

Didn't catch Hanoi: Winter '46 last time it was on.

Sada is worth a look, if only to see a completely different take on the events depicted in the world-infamous Ai no Korrida (aka In The Realm Of The Senses).

Love Letter is a terrific film. If you're up for a light drama with beautiful cinematography, mark your calendar because you don't want to miss this. It's directed by the immensely talented Shunji Iwai, and stars Miho Nakayama (in a dual role), Etsushi Toyokawa & Miki Sakai.

Only managed to catch the final twenty minutes of Hidden Whisper - liked it enough to want to see the rest.

Ghost Vixen is another premiere (unless I haven't been paying attention). Haven't seen it before (it's really hard to find on any format) so I'm looking forward to it.
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently saw another great Korean film called Ghosts in Love. The special effects were decent enough and while the story wasn't all that powerful I couldn't help but enjoy the film immensely. I Also saw a film from called Thailand 6IXTYNIN9. It's basically about a simple woman who is a victim of circumstance. Very interesting.

------------------
100% Australian
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangadude:
I Also saw a film from called Thailand 6IXTYNIN9. It's basically about a simple woman who is a victim of circumstance. Very interesting.

Hopefully SBS won't take too long to screen this. I saw another film by director Pen-Ek Ratanaruang, Fun Bar Karaoke, and thought it was really good.
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another SBS newie for March...

Wednesday 19th - Durian, Durian

Directed by Fruit Chan, who also directed the excellent Made In Hong Kong (which was on sbs a couple of years ago). The first half of Durian is up to the standard of MIHK, but the second half drags a bit. Still worthwhile viewing though.
mrgazpacho
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
... but first, this Saturday at 11 p.m...

Mutant Aliens by Bill Plympton. Can get boring, but it's got some nice bits and worth a look.

------------------
--
Chris
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently saw the Hong Kong romantic comedy Needing you starring Andy Lau. I really don't know exactly what I liked about the film but I found it really entertaining. I think it may be playing at select cinemas and if not people might like to catch it when it comes on SBS.

------------------
100% Australian
Ahazmaksya
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lol Mutant aliens was a cracker

------------------
\m/METAL\m/ \m/TO\m/ \m/THE\m/ \m/MASSES\m/
Hyper C
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I just experienced my fav movie since Spirited Away last night. Love Letter turned out to be well worth staying up for, a simple but beautifully filmed movie that tackles the way love in relationships can work and effect people in a very unique and involving way. My only real gripe is that my SBS reception wasn't as good as it sometimes is and I felt I was missing a part of the still-obvious visual splender.

Hyper C

------------------
"I'm Sam, he's Max. We fight crime"
"And we enjoy long walks along the beach!"

Newtype USA now flys down to Australia!
Buy it now or else Tim will get upset and cry.
Hyper C
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
*Hype digs up TV guide and noticed that LL got a very good review*

It's not often I agree with them this much and the forums are a little quiet today, so I'm gonna go waste lots of time by typing it up... *ahem*

Film of the Week
Love Letter (1995), SBS, 10pm

They don't come much better than this for poignancy in addressing spiritual concerns. Shunji Iwai's feature film debut is a cracker. In he tradition of Japanese literature, it concerns ghosts and the rememberance of departed souls.
On the anniversary of her fiance's death in a mountaineering fall, Hiroko Watanabe visits his parents' home after a memorial service. Mrs Fujii, Itsuki's mother, shows Hiroko her son's yearbook and, in a moment of yearning, she jots down his old address in Hokkaido, as listed in the book.
Later, back home in Kobe, she writes a letter asking Itsuki how he is and posts it to the old address. She is astonished when she recieves a reply.
It comes from another Itsuki - Itsuki Fujii - an introspective librian, who was as school with her doppelganger and who endured years of ridicule from classmates keen to tease a boy and a girl with the same name.
As correspondance between the two women proceeds, it becomes apparent there was a bond between them. Flashbacks illuminate the anguish both youngsters, sensitive and different, experienced. Itsuki - an athlete, a loner, a thinker - was not, overtly, interested in his librian counterpart.
As Hiroko seeks to understand more and Miss Fujii tries to oblige by ventilating unhappy memories, both Hiroko's future and her corrospondent's past are clarified. One woman needs the remeberance of things past to give her the freedom to make make a transition into her future; the other needs to discover a secret buried in the past to rehabilitate her perception of it and to embrace an unexpected reconciliation.
A fragment of verse springs to mind which aptly encapsulates the mofit of this visually magical film.
Life will fly if held too tightly
Life will die if held too lightly
Tightly, lightly, how do we know
If we're holding life or letting it go?

Love, loss and a communication across time are the suppositions wrought by Iwai into one of the most exquisitely sad yet liberating films you could hope to see. It is a marvel of restraint, beautifully acted by acted by Miho Nakayama (as boto Hiroko and Miss Fujii).
Memory as an aching barrier - and as a unifying force.
Love Letter provides a rich seam of emotion to explore and as Iwai pursues his theme, the opposites unite - to perfection.

Damn straight.

Hyper C

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hyper C (edited 28 February 2003).]
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That was a really nice review.

I'm glad you liked it Hyper C. I'm curious, did anyone else watch it? If not, be sure to catch it the next time it's on.

And if you enjoy it, most of Iwai's other films are available on DVD with english subtitles. April Story (Shigatsu Monogatari) is the closest in tone to Love Letter, though it's only short (about an hour) it's still a fantastic movie.

The Japanese DVD of April Story doesn't have english subtitles, but the Korean disc does:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/12776.html?id=ZbVeAs3m

Both the Japanese & Korean DVDs of Love Letter have english subtitles.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/14360.html

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIBF-63

With two exceptions ("All About Lily Chou-chou" and "Shonen tachi wa hanabi wo yoko kara mitakatta") all the Japanese Iwai discs have english subs.

[This message has been edited by Lupin (edited 28 February 2003).]
Bakchoy
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw it! Well......the last hour or so. What I saw made me seriously regret not watching earlier. It took me a while to get connected with the characters, mainly because I didn't know what was happening, but once I did I loved it. Now I just need to find somewhere to see the parts I missed
Hyper C
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
like say, a DVD?

I think I'll be getting onto Madman about the possabilaties of liscencing this title as it's one I would certainly pick up. It'd also certainly make a very worthy adition to their world cinema catalogue and I really can't afford to import anything atm (and even if I did although I'd be torn between the quality of the 2 films, I'd probally pick up Princess Mononoke instead)

Heads up Timmy (I wonder if I'm allowed to call him that?), email's coming atcha ^_^

Hyper C

------------------

AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
'Ell all, haven't been here for a long while! I managed to catch the last half of Love Letter, and found it pretty good, and now I regret doing my homework at that time. Did anyone manage to catch Ghostly Vixen? If you didn't, then you missed a helluva good movie! I cried with laughter throughout the entire movie! Anywho, I better get back to my assignments......
Zorin
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw it, it was stupid Razz (but funny too in parts)
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't find Ghostly Vixen funny or entertaining. What I did find enjoayable was the Korean action film Shiri. It was very fast paced with lots of action. The only downside I guess was that it was a litle predictable.

------------------
100% Australian
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I enjoyed Ghostly Vixen. Good for a laugh, and it's got Amy Yip!

Anyone else seen Robotrix, which also stars the Yipster?

I think Shiri is an excellent action flick. The shootouts occur on a regular basis & can get pretty bloody (that kneecap...ouch). Cast is tops - Han Suk-kyu is excellent in the lead (he can also be seen in the superb thriller Tell Me Something) and Choi Min-Shik & Kim Yoon-jin do fine jobs too.
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure if anyone posted it, can't be bothered checking, but some great movies have been on recently. On Saturday night, on of my all time favourite movies was on - Project A. Starring a rather young Jackie Chan, plus all of his gang (can't remember their names, and can't be bothered finding/writing them anyway). Basically, the storyline is about Jackie and his friends, who are mostly sailors, trying to rid their waters of pirates. The storyline is more complex than that...But I'm too lazy to write anymore about that >.<
Also, on Channel 7 last night was Shanghai Noon and Hackers. Both are great movies.

Ok, time to go and sleep now....
Hyper C
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now my nets back and less restrictive with sites I can visit now I can do stupid things like this

C'mon, get over to my shelf, you know you want to... please?

Probally just as well it's out-of-stock actually, I cant really afford even it >_<

Hyper C

------------------

Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the version that comes with the OST is out of print. A shame, because it really is a nice CD.
Noa
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Abit late for me to be posting about it, but Love Letter was brilliant.

Now where can I get a copy? I've been looking online and in the city but with no luck
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noa:
Now where can I get a copy? I've been looking online and in the city but with no luck

I posted a couple of links above. One for the Korean disc, the other for the Japanese.

These are currently the only DVDs of Love Letter available.

Noa
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh I didn't seem them, thanks though

------------------
"4 out of 5 Japanese people are Ninjas" - Channel 31
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently saw a Korean movie called Il Mare. It's about a woman from the year 200 who is able to send letters to man from 1998 and vice versa. The story moves along at a very slow pace but was entertaining none the less.

------------------
100% Australian
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Il Mare, haven't seen that yet, but from the reviews I've read it sounds like something I'd like. So many DVDs to buy, so little money...oh well, with any luck I'll see it before the US remake comes out.

But keeping with the topic of the thread, tomorrow at 10pm on SBS is Junji Sakamoto's FACE.

A review here:
http://www.pulp-mag.com/archives/5.03/reviews_film.shtml
Rice God
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, this thread hasn't been active for awhile...so I thought I'd do something about it! In the past week, there have been some movies on. I didn't manage to catch any of them, but did anyone else? The movies were Game of Death, Girls' Night Out, Seventeen Years and Wait and See. Anyway, there are a ton of great and not so great movies coming up on SBS, here's a list of them:

21 April Mon, 10:45pm - Lan Yu
23 April Wed, 12:30pm - A Scene at the Sea (ano natsu, ichiban shizukana umi)
26 April Sat, Perth 12am, Everywhere else 10pm - Peacock King
30 April Wed, 10pm - Taboo (gohatto)
6 May Tues, 10pm - Il Mare
14 May Wed, 10pm - The Emperor and the Assassin (Jing Ke Ci Qui Wang)
20 May Tues, 12:30pm - Hidden Whisper (Xiao Bai Wu Jin Ji)
24 May Sat, 10pm - Young and Dangerous 6
12am - Nightmare (Gawi)
26 May Mon, 12:30pm - Hanoi - Winter '46
12:30am - Nowhere to Hide

31 May Sat, 10:30pm - Another Heaven
12:50am - [b]Durian Durian (Liulian Piao Piao)

So there you have it! Just like to add that movies that people should make a point on seeing are: A Scene at the Sea, Young and Dangerous 6 and Nowhere to Hide. If you want more information about these movies, just do a forum search and you'll find more than enough information for each of these movies!

[This message has been edited by Rice God (edited 18 April 2003).]
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is Nightmare a Korean flick? I think I might have seen it if it's about a group of people who kill some weird woman and one by one get killed themselves. I look forward to seeing Young and Dangerous 6 although I hope it doesn't rely too much on the premises of parts 4 and 5 as I have not seen them.
Oh and a little while ago I saw Jet Li's latest film Cradle 2 the Grave. It sucked. Bad script, acting and not one memorable fight scene. What are you doing Jet?!!!!!
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rice God:
Well, this thread hasn't been active for awhile...so I thought I'd do something about it! In the past week, there have been some movies on. I didn't manage to catch any of them, but did anyone else? The movies were [b]Game of Death, Girls' Night Out, Seventeen Years and Wait and See[/B]

I've seen all of those. Game Of Death is a lot of fun, Girls Night Out, Seventeen Years & Wait and See are all great dramas. Wait and See gets my vote as the best of the bunch, a superb film from the late Shinji Somai.

Lots of great stuff coming up too. Anyone who has missed A Scene At The Sea the previous times it was on should really, really catch it this time around if in the least bit interested in Takeshi Kitano.

Peacock King is discussed a couple of pages back, I recommend it.

Gohatto is fantastic. Directed by Nagisa Oshima (of In The Real Of The Senses fame) and starring Ryuhei Matsuda (son of legendary Yusaku Matsuda), Tadanobu Asano (Shark Skin Man & Peach Hip Girl) and Takeshi Kitano. Gorgeous looking, gripping film, with a good score by Ryuichi Sakamoto.

I'm not too fussed about The Emperor And The Assassin. Maybe worth a look if you like epic dramas, and it has some pretty good battles.

Have seen most of the others, but I'm outta here. Bottom line: watch 'em all
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Is Nightmare a Korean flick? I think I might have seen it if it's about a group of people who kill some weird woman and one by one get killed themselves.

Yep, that's the one. Has been on SBS at last once, maybe twice. Love it! Ring-style atmospherics crossed with a teen-slasher. Very enjoyable stuff.
Mark Morrison
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Il Mare is both inventive and charming, and one of the best romances I've seen in recent times. It introduces a nifty premise and somehow keeps it aloft for the running time. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Mark

------------------
Heroic-Cinema
The Guide to Hong Kong, Japanese & Korean Movies in Australia

HK-Spam: a weekly email about Asian film screenings in Melbourne
To subscribe, send a blank message with no subject header to:
<hk-spam-subscribe@heroic-cinema.com>
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did anyone catch Game of Death? It's hard to believe that people actually fell for it back when it was released. Some of the techniques they used were almost as bad as when they made the Radioactive man movie in the Simpsons and Milhouse went missing. Despite this there were a few scenes (and I'm not talking about the old film footage scenes) where the Bruce Lee lookalikes really pulled it off. The fights though were still a dead giveaway as I'm pretty sure they were sped up to match Bruce's incredible speed. The action didn't really heat up until Bruce actually made an appearance. The fight scene between him and the 7 foot tall basketballer was worth it.
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Did anyone catch Game of Death?

Yep.

It's no Enter The Dragon but still well worth a look, for the last 20 minutes or so alone. Don't suppose you caught Bruce Lee doco that screened a couple of weeks ago on SBS? Very interesting stuff, especially in regard to Game Of Death.

On an unrelated note, anyone watch Lan Yu? I saw about an hour and taped the rest. It struck me as a poor man's Happy Together, pretty disappointing considering it's directed by Stanley Kwan (of the very good Centre Stage & excellent Hold You Tight) But maybe it has a strong finish...
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
The fight scene between him and the 7 foot tall basketballer was worth it.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. And his height is 7'2" apparently. The man practically invented the hook shot, and was the Michael Jordan of the 80's.

Pro Playing Highlights:

• NBA Milwaukee Bucks (1969-75)
  • NBA Los Angeles Lakers (1975-89)
  • Pro Playing Highlights:
  • Holds NBA career records for most minutes (57,446), most points (38,387), most field goals
    made (15,837) and most field goals attempted (28,307)
  • First player in NBA history to play 20 seasons
  • Led NBA in scoring (1971-31.7 ppg, 1972-34.8 ppg)
  • Led NBA in rebounding (1976-16.9 rpg)
  • Led NBA in blocked shots (1975, 1976, 1979, 1980)
  • NBA MVP (1971-72, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1980)
  • NBA Rookie of the Year (1970)
  • All NBA First Team (1971-74, 1976-77, 1980-81, 1984, 1986)
  • NBA All-Defensive First Team (1974-75, 1979-81)
  • NBA Finals MVP (1971, 1985)
  • Played in 18 NBA All-Star Games (1970-1977, 1979-89)
  • NBA championship with the Milwaukee Bucks (1971)
  • NBA championships with the Los Angeles Lakers (1980-82, 1985, 1987-8Cool
  • NBA 35th Anniversary All-Time Team (1980)
  • NBA 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1996)

------------------
No matter how repulsive the peace, it's still vital to guard it. It may be an immoral peace, may be an unjust peace, but an unjust peace is still better than a just war.
meyora
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
for hong kong film buffs check out this site
: www.lovehkfilm.com

you guys have probably seen it alredy but hey nothing else to do
Zorin
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the link...

Twins Effect

Doesnt that pic just make you want to see it? Its supposedly got Jackie Chan in it.

------------------
Call me Chief... Kermi does Smile
Zorin
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
damn double post... trying to think of something else to say... nope got nothing.

[This message has been edited by Zorin (edited 24 April 2003).]
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zorin:
Twins Effect

Doesnt that pic just make you want to see it?

Not really

Their appeal is lost on me.
Mark Morrison
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Charlene Choi and Gillian Cheung (Twins) have actually been in some good films.

I think Choi is great in the drama FUNERAL MARCH - she is very frail and sombre. A pretty fine debut.

And, both are good in the excellent Hong Kong movie nostalgia piece JUST ONE LOOK, which is all about the cinema of the 1970s.

But, when the director just has 'em flounce around and be cute (e.g. MY WIFE IS 18 - ew!), then yeah, the appeal is lost on me, too.

Right now the Chinatown Cinema in Melbourne and Reading Market City has two Twins films on - Cheung is in WHY ME, SWEETIE? and Choi is in DIVA, AH HEY. So, whatever you think of 'em, they're pretty massive right now.

Still, TWINS EFFECTS looks to be irresistibly fun - c'mon Lupin, they fight vampires! What's not to love about that?

Cheers,

Mark

------------------
Heroic-Cinema
The Guide to Hong Kong, Japanese & Korean Movies in Australia

HK-Spam: a weekly email about Asian film screenings in Melbourne
To subscribe, send a blank message with no subject header to:
<hk-spam-subscribe@heroic-cinema.com>
mrgazpacho
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Gohatto is fantastic. Directed by Nagisa Oshima (of In The Real Of The Senses fame) and starring Ryuhei Matsuda (son of legendary Yusaku Matsuda), Tadanobu Asano (Shark Skin Man & Peach Hip Girl) and Takeshi Kitano. Gorgeous looking, gripping film, with a good score by Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Saw the ad for it tonight on SBS. Looks very bishie-yaoi (this comment may draw some more punters in LOL ).

------------------
--
Chris
Lupin
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not giving anything away by saying homosexuality amongst the samurai plays a major part in the movie.

But I hope that aspect doesn't actually turn people away from it...
soma
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dammit!! I missed Scene At the Sea (AGAIN!). Grrrrrrrr.

Will watch Taboo tonight, sounds interesting.

Also looking forward to checking out Gawi and Another Heaven.

Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TABOO: Impressive.

I'm sure I've seen a number of the actors in other Takashi films... one is definately in Brother: you don't forget a face after that is done to it.

------------------
No matter how repulsive the peace, it's still vital to guard it. It may be an immoral peace, may be an unjust peace, but an unjust peace is still better than a just war.
YRD9000
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
I'm not giving anything away by saying homosexuality amongst the samurai plays a major part in the movie...

The little dialogue between the senior samurai at the end held the tone of the whole movie for me. When the younger leader recounts the tale of Kikuka no chigiri (The Chrysanthemum Vow) from the Ugetsu Monogatori to Beat Takeshi, he likened the theme of the tale as having homosexual undertones due to the undying devotion between the two major characters in the story, and the chrysanthemum signifying male love. However, five minutes later at the final moment of the film, Beat Takeshi makes a remark very similar to another tale in the Ugetsu Monogatari (I refer to Aozukin, a tale of an abbot who became a flesh eating ghoul after falling in love with a loung boy).

Otherwise, I found the performances in the film to be top notch, and only the occasional "Bloody hell mate, don't stick that there!" erupted from the couch potatoe watching it

------------------
"Think son, what kind of world would it be if everyone resorted to violence?"
"Good question, lets find out."
-=Facta non Verba=-

Page 4 of 7

Jump to: