Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

More Godzilla Please!

More Godzilla Please!
Author
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: More Godzilla Please! Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the Godzilla (1954) DVD from Eastern Eye. Didnít realise the massive rearrangement and edits of the film for the US version were so drastic. I think it was great idea to have the subtitled version on there as well. I believe this the first time the film has actually appeared in an English subtitled version on video (officially) anywhere in the world. Good on ya Eastern Eye for doing that.

The only real problems I had with the release was the print quality, but Toho is to blame for that (wish they would remaster and clean up the print), and the lack of a US trailer (which appeared on the Japanese LD. The insert (especially) and everything else about the release was great.

I noticed that there were trailers for Godzilla 2000 (Godzilla Millennium) and Godzilla X MechaGodzilla (2002). I assume Eastern Eye will be releasing these in the future (with optional Japanese dialogue and subtitles I hope).

Is Eastern Eye looking into releasing any of the direct sequels to the original 1954 film? Any of these would be great on DVD in a subtitled format;

1955 Godzilla Raids Again
1962 King Kong vs. Godzilla
1964 Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster
1964 Mothra vs. Godzilla
1965 Monster Zero
1966 Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster
1967 Son of Godzilla
1968 Destroy All Monsters
1969 Godzilla`s Revenge

I believe they all have dubbed versions as well. Siren has released a couple of them, but I believe these are cut AIP versions and not the longer uncut dubbed prints. Itíd be really nice to have a complete set of subtitled Godzilla films on DVD, but thatís probably not feasible. If Eastern Eye put out the above films, Godzilla fans around the world would be ĺ of the way there with only Godzilla (1984) to Godzilla Vs Destroyer not having subtitled DVD versions available anywhere in the world.
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Too early for finalised specs for Godzilla 2000... but for Godzilla vs Mecha-godzilla the DVD will have both a Japanese Dolby 5.1 track (with English subtitles) and an English Dolby 5.1 as well.

We are definitely looking looking at other Godzilla films. Can't give any definite news with regards to direct sequels, but will keep ya posted. Cool
Choos
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
PRAISE FOR EASTERN EYE!

Godzilla 50th Anniversary edition was magnificent!

It was the first time I have seen the original, sure I have a couple of bad to fair copies of the Ray Burr edition but wow the original is WAY better.

Checking around the internet my understanding is this is the full Godzilla list of movies (with release year in Japan).

Further except for the first two movies which were shot in academy standard aspect ratio of 1.33:1 the rest were shot in widescreen so that's what needs to be on the DVDs!

Godzilla, King of the Monsters aka Gojira 1954
Godzilla Raids Again aka Gigantis, the Fire Monster 1955
Godzilla vs. King Kong aka King Kong vs. Godzilla 1962
Godzilla vs. the Thing aka Godzilla vs. Mothra 1964
Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster 1965
Monster Zero aka Godzilla vs. Monster Zero 1965
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster 1966
Son of Godzilla 1967
Destroy all Monsters aka Parade of the Monsters 1968
Godzilla's Revenge 1969
Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster aka Godzilla vs. Hedora 1971
Godzilla vs. Gigan 1972