Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Reflecting Reflection

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reflecting Reflection
Author
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Armisael wrote:
sgt_tediz wrote:
I thought Trust/Betrayal had a lot more emotion to it and was more sad =/
i watched through Reflection and though, meh, that was alright, and nothing more.

Yes, but Reflections was in itself a depressing anime. I mean, T&B were more of an action anime, with politics and such, but Reflections was a more humain story.

Hmmm I'm inclined to think the opposite. I don't think Trust and Betrayal is more an action anime at all. It is more like a tragic love story in very troubled times. Sure the beginning is fairly violent but the pace changes completely after the second episode as we focus more on Kenshin and Tomoe's relationship and the ending was really very sad but we see what made Kenshin the man he is in the anime and why he so desperately wishes to never kill again.

But at the end of Seisouhen I had mixed feelings. I felt like the first episode was used as an excuse to re do the Jinei vs. Kenshin fight and I just couldn't swallow the ending. The only things I like about Seisouhen are the fight scenes and thats about it...
Wandering to the edge of time.
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Theres a reason that T&B was subtitled (in the traditional sense - a secondary title) "Romantic tales from the meiji era".

As for seisouhen, I liked it. I daresay ive posted my opinion in this topic when it was first started, so I won't repeat myself now.
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:
Theres a reason that T&B was subtitled (in the traditional sense - a secondary title) "Romantic tales from the meiji era".

As for seisouhen, I liked it. I daresay ive posted my opinion in this topic when it was first started, so I won't repeat myself now.

Eh to...that wouldn't make much sense, since T&B didn't take place in the Meiji era at all...it took place in the dying days of the Tokugawa. The original title for Trust and Betrayal in Japanese was Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen (Rurouni Kenshin: Remembrance).

I believe Tales of the Meiji was the subtitle for the filler arc volumes of the TV series on DVD.
Armisael
.:Harlot:.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I thought of Reflections as a more humain sotryline. It was mainly about them thinking of the past, what they went though and what was happening within themselves, then the world around them.

Nods.

clem is my movie aggressive go-getter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Requiem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Miyuki wrote:
Eh to...that wouldn't make much sense, since T&B didn't take place in the Meiji era at all...it took place in the dying days of the Tokugawa. The original title for Trust and Betrayal in Japanese was Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku-hen (Rurouni Kenshin: Remembrance).

I know what the original name is. put the dvd in and go to title 04, chapter 02, 6:44. Then read the screen. It will say "Samurai X: Rouroni Kenshin. Romantic tales from the meiji era".
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:
Miyuki wrote:

I know what the original name is. put the dvd in and go to title 04, chapter 02, 6:44. Then read the screen. It will say "Samurai X: Rouroni Kenshin. Romantic tales from the meiji era".

Hmmm...thats really strange since Trust and Betrayal doesn't take place in the Meiji period at all.
Lacutus
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was not expecting Kenshin to be as great as it was.
I saw Samurai X: Reflection today and I cried at the end of it. After all that...and I still feel all teary now thinking about it. I went around the house having a sook...
I can get emotional with Anime and Movie and my therapist says I can't understand human emotion lol.

Crying or Very sad WAAAAAAAAH!
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:

Hmm, is that the original Japanese title, or one that ADV made up for the release in the west (my DVD Player's broke at the moment, so I can't check it out myself Sad)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Requiem

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
merric wrote:

Hmm, is that the original Japanese title, or one that ADV made up for the release in the west (my DVD Player's broke at the moment, so I can't check it out myself Sad)?

No idea. I don't have an r2 to see. It does say Samurai X though.
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
merric wrote:
Requiem wrote:

I have the R2 versions and nowhere does it say "Romantic Tales from the Meiji...."

The title in the Japanese version has always been Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, and thats it...
Lacutus
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fine just ignore that I exist ya pile of meanies.
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aaarr, ye do that then Lacutus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sgt_tediz
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Miyuki wrote:
merric wrote:
Requiem wrote:

I have the R2 versions and nowhere does it say "Romantic Tales from the Meiji...."

The title in the Japanese version has always been Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, and thats it...

i'm pretty sure its just ADV putting it in just to look nice or something. AFAIK, "Romantic Tales from the Meiji" is [only] used as the subtitle for the TV series (the entire thing, not just the post-Kyoto stuff), though i'm not too sure if i'm completely right.
Lacutus
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
sgt_tediz wrote:
i'm pretty sure its just ADV putting it in just to look nice or something. AFAIK, "Romantic Tales from the Meiji" is [only] used as the subtitle for the TV series (the entire thing, not just the post-Kyoto stuff), though i'm not too sure if i'm completely right.

Quite possibly....and yeah Media Blasters lumped the Kenshin TV filler arcs with the "Tales of the Meiji" subtitle.

And Lacutus why don't you turn that frown upside down....I often skim over posts so usually a few fall through the cracks but hey I know a lot of my posts get ignored all the time so don't take it personally if we don't reply straight away k? I know Reflections affected a lot of Kenshin fans deeply but I didn't have the same feelings towards the animators conclusion to the Kenshin series as others (and obviously you) did.
Degenerate
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I've finally forced myself to rent this (after I've read all the manga). And on its own its a very good work, good music, very emotional. However as a part of the 'Kenshin legacy' I didn't like it. The posts on the first page of this thread cover pretty much everything I didn't like about the story so I won't bother typing it all out. I will attempt to think of this as a separate story as the manga ending is where I prefer the story to end.
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that Degenerate has summed up the feelings of all of the Kenshin fans who don't like Reflections - not a bad anime on its own (although a bit too jumpy for my liking), but a pretty mediocre ending to the Kenshin saga.
akemi
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reflection was so sad *sniff sniff* I watched it with my brother and his fiance (they're now married) and i couldn't cry infront of them coz they'll call me stupid. But i cried my eyes out that night (when no one was looking). Reflection was sadder than Trust/Betrayal because we have already bonded with the characters in the series and we're used to seeing the happy Kenshingumi running around trying to kill each other in mockery. But in Reflections it seems everyone was worlds apart. Although they were still there for each other. It was sad how Sanosuke said his last goodbye to Kenshin. He was the closest friend Kenshin had. There when Kenshin needs to rely on someone for a fight or two. BOOHOOHOO...i think i'm gonna cry

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: