Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

RK Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next
RK Manga
Author
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: RK Manga Reply with quote
Do you think you guys will be buying the RK manga? Volume one by Viz comes out in October. Do you reckon Madman should pick it up.. so it's a little bit cheaper?
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd definitely get it. If the manga is better than the anime then you'd be crazy not to buy it. So yes, Madman should release it here.
Asuka: Hey, get up you! It's time to wake up you stupid dork! *screams* You stupid pervert I didn't mean for you to get THAT up! Shinji: I can't help it, it's morning. I gotta take a wiz or something... Asuka: *screams* Don't POINT it at me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah Madman should definitely pick it up...but I've heard they're not exactly best buddies with Viz...

I was thinking that maybe they could pick the manga up and translate it themselves but I think we would have to wait and see if the initial bunch of manga they're releasing sells well enough to warrant them translating and printing manga locally.
Wandering to the edge of time.
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well Madman's manga licenses come from a Singapore company or something. They could get the RK manga or Madman could use them to bypass the rights that Viz have. I know very little about manga licensing but if Madman were to get the RK manga I'd buy it, if only for the Revenge arc.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I feared what Viz would do to Ruroken so I brought the original. Not so much worrying about translations because from what I've read of theirs they do a decent job there but I was mostly worried about how they always must translate the sound effects so you can understand them thus making it more enjoyable. I've seen translated sound effects in the French version of Ruroken it totally murders the beautiful artwork in parts and I just couldn't waste money on something like that.

So if Madman do get it I'd consider buying it as long as there is no westernising at all.
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, If I remember correctly, the first volume of Viz's RK Manga was meant to be previewed in some magazine on October 7. And it's now past that date. So, does anyone here get that magazine (I forget it's name)?? If so, what's the translation, quality etc. etc. like??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kakarotsan wrote:
Well, If I remember correctly, the first volume of Viz's RK Manga was meant to be previewed in some magazine on October 7. And it's now past that date. So, does anyone here get that magazine (I forget it's name)?? If so, what's the translation, quality etc. etc. like??

Its Shonen Jump the same magazine it was release in weekly in Japan. And I'm pretty sure that the preview or volume 1 I'm not sure was set for November.
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, 'cos I checked the press release again (the one that announced that Viz would be publishing it) and it said October 7. Must of changed. Anyway, according to Viz's website, Rurouni Kenshin Graphic Novel Volume 1 comes out on October 30. Here's the link http://store.viz.com/browse/RUROUNIKENP/GRNOV/s.BQkIyx7Q
Hopefully it's good quality.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kakarotsan wrote:
Hopefully it's good quality.

I can just picture it. They always translated sound effects so people can understand to make the experience better which ruins the artwork. Translated Kenshins "Oro!?'s" into something like "Huh!?" or whatever they English dub of the anime was meant to be.

I'll take a look when it comes out but I doubt I'll be buying it.
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there you go. Inside that magazine (which has been released) is part of the first volume of the translated RK manga.

I found a site that reviews the Shonen Jump and here's what they said about the Kenshin preview:

Quote:
The Kenshin preview was cool and I plan to buy the graphic novels of it.

Not much I know, but it's still something. Laughing

The review also mentioned:

Quote:
Rurouni Kenshin which will only be in Shonen Jump graphic novel form.

There you go then. Hopefully the RK preview will be put in the 'Online Manga' section of Shonen Jump's website soon. (www.shonenjump.com)
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found more stuff...

Uh, I think these are the covers for the graphic novels. I don't know what to think...

I also found out that there will be 42 graphic novels. Which means that each graphic novel will be less than one volume. Oh, this means the wait for the Jinchuu Arc will be even longer. *sighs*
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of all, sorry for the triple post. The problem is I keep finding more stuff.

I tried to add this pic to my previous post but it kept stuffing up. So, I had to make a new one. Forgive me.

Anyway, this is the cover for the first RK graphic novel.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So they have changed a 28 volume series into 42 volumes!? WTF!? And those covers and the Ruroken logo are shocking.

I can see myself not buying these even more then before.
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just for the interested, the covers are sorta almost the same as the original ones see:

Volume 1 Original Cover:

Same Kenshin and Kaoru pic as the graphic novel.

The volume 2 cover is completely different, but the Volume 3 cover is...

...kinda the same as the graphic novel to.

I'll see if I can find pics of the inside of the graphic novel. That's the most important part after all. Don't judge a book by it's cover...
Penguin
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey I found that magazine too. They left Kenshin's "oro" as "oro" and not "huh" or something like that which is good. As for the novel count: 42 grpahic novels, just like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. Sigh Sad its been 2 years, and still something like 20 more graphic novels to go. If DB/DBZ are anything to go by my Tales of the Meiji boxset, which I'm waiting anxiously for, will be collecting dust by the time Jinchu Arc gets published Crying or Very sad
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So Penguin, have you actually read the preview from the Shonen Jump magazine?

By the way, is anyone around here subscribed to Shonen Jump or something like that?
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Penguin wrote:
Hey I found that magazine too. They left Kenshin's "oro" as "oro" and not "huh" or something like that which is good. As for the novel count: 42 grpahic novels, just like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. Sigh Sad its been 2 years, and still something like 20 more graphic novels to go. If DB/DBZ are anything to go by my Tales of the Meiji boxset, which I'm waiting anxiously for, will be collecting dust by the time Jinchu Arc gets published Crying or Very sad

42!!!!!! You have got to be joking! The original manga was only 28 volumes! I'll be an old lady by the time they bring out the the Jinchuu arc -_-;;;

Those covers....there is just something wrong about the font...and the background colour. They also left out the cool subtitles Watsuki-sensei had for each volume Sad

Aww well...I hope if Madman do get the rights...maybe they can use the original Japanese covers and make it a 28 volume manga hmm?
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I took a quick look at it today when I was in the city. The preview is only like the first 10 pages of chapter 1.

They seem to have done a good job with the translation, (I admit I only took a very quick look so don't hold me to that) Kenshin still calls himself a Rurouni for example.

And the sound effects are translated as Viz must always do dammit.
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How do they do the sound effects? Do they scrub the original ones out and write in new ones? Or do they write the translation next to the original sound effect?
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kakarotsan wrote:
How do they do the sound effects? Do they scrub the original ones out and write in new ones? Or do they write the translation next to the original sound effect?

They write the english sound effects over the japanese. Where they can they take the japanese sfx out and put the english in. Otherwise they just cover over it, so it has to be big enough to fully cover the japanese so you lose more of the image. And English letters are much fatter then Japanese characters.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is an example of what I was talking about in my last post for the sound effects.

Here we have the raw manga in all of its beautiful glory.

And then we have the French version with the translated sound effects and everything else.

Its not pretty and this is what Viz will be doing to Kenshin. This was a page from chapter 67 from Volume 9 of the manga, but going by Viz's 42 book release it'll be around volume 16 or 17.
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats rediculous. Do they really think people want some retarded rectangle box over the original sound effect? I mean, the english effect over the japanese one is acceptable, but thats just plain stupid. No way im buying this if this is what viz is going to do to it.
Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That big white square? Shocked Shocked
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*Faints from shock*

@_@

Viz...no....no.....NOOOOOOOO!
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Who made the French version? *hopes it's not Viz*

Also, (if anyone still intends on buying the graphic novels) the second graphic novel has been set for release on November 26. This means that Viz may be releasing the novels as 'one each month'. Therefore, the whole of the Kenshin manga will have been released and translated within two years. The wait for the Jinchuu Arc may be not as long as expected.

Info on first novel: http://store.viz.com/product/GNVAH0001/b.RUROUNIKENP/s.3vRyoZP2

Info on second novel: http://store.viz.com/product/GNVAH0002/b.RUROUNIKENP/s.3vRyoZP2

*continues to pray that Viz won't do the sfx translation thing badly*
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMFG, that stupid white box!!! WTF is with that? I've seen better workarounds on fan translations FFS!!

To show my displeasure with that translation, I am giving them a row of frowny faces...

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Penguin
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What the Hell!!! That's insane! Oh please oh mighty powers that be let the Viz english version not be like the French version! I beseech yee, Jinchu Arc not getting animated is bad enough, but those white boxes are eyesores enough to drive my failing eyesight completely blind!
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Graphic Novel 3: January
Graphic Novel 4: March

It probly doesn't matter though. Most people seem to have lost faith that the graphic novels will be any good.

*all the dates mentioned have been American (for the REALLY slow people out there)*
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kakarotsan wrote:
It probly doesn't matter though. Most people seem to have lost faith that the graphic novels will be any good.

Then my job here is finished.
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kakarotsan wrote:

It's good to see that they're only being released two months apart, but, as always, I'm going to wait to see them before I pass judgement either way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Requiem

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
merric wrote:
It's good to see that they're only being released two months apart, but, as always, I'm going to wait to see them before I pass judgement either way.

42 * 2 /12 = 7 YEARS. 7 years for the RK manga to finish. A rational release would take 28 / 12 = 2.3 or 2 years, 4 months. If madman doesn't get it, im not getting it.
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:
42 * 2 /12 = 7 YEARS. 7 years for the RK manga to finish. A rational release would take 28 / 12 = 2.3 or 2 years, 4 months. If madman doesn't get it, im not getting it.

Yeah, I forgot that it was 42 volumes instead of 28. Your point is duly noted. Smile
jinsenblade
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope they don't mangle it. I think I'll order a copy and post my thoughts later.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Ruroken preview is up on the Viz sites online manga section well part of the preview anyway. The link is stuffed from the main pages so here is the direct link. http://www.shonenjump.com/onlinemanga/rk-hi-chapter-1.html

And from the first page yes we have the white boxes. Translation good but I doubt I'd buy it.
Nosaj
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm, It doesnt look that bad. I would like to buy it, ahhh damn you Viz for increasing the volume count. Smile
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
YES!! Finally I get to see the preview with my own eyes!!

And I'm not dissapointed. You can tell where they've scrubbed out SFX if you look closely, but it took me a while to actually notice it. All good I think. I'll buy it when I have the chance.

Oh, and when they say 'Bakumatsu Era' they mean the times of the revolution or the reign of the Tokugawa Shogunate don't they? (they only say Revolution in the subtitles Confused )
Nosaj
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
kakarotsan wrote:
Oh, and when they say 'Bakumatsu Era' they mean the times of the revolution or the reign of the Tokugawa Shogunate don't they? (they only say Revolution in the subtitles Confused )

The Bakumatsu was the name of the Civil War that cause the changeover to the Meiji, IIR.
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bakumatsu is the late Edo/Shogunate period.

Edit: As Nosaj said, it basically is the Revolution, but I think that it dates from about the time that Japan started opening up to the west until the end of the shogunate.

Last edited by merric on Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
kakarotsan
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I thought right...

Thanks.
Requiem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The revolution didn't really have a start date, unless you call it 1853 when Perry sailed his black ships in to the harbour. I always took "Bakumatsu" to mean the actual revolution itself, not the era between 1853 and 1868, which is the start of the Meiji era.
I suggest anyone who owns the "trust" dvd to go and have a look at the historical background section in the extras.
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that the revolution is generally dated from 1866, when the Satsuma and Choshu clans forged an alliance with the aim of restoring the Emperor.

Bakumatsu means 'last shogun' or something (the Tokugawa shogunate was known as the 'bakufu') and basically covers the last decade and a half of the Edo period. The bakumatsu is dated from Perry's arrival in 1853 to the end of the shogunate in 1868, but only the last couple of years were actually revolutionary.
Nosaj
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So it was spoken. Razz
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
merric wrote:
I think that the revolution is generally dated from 1866, when the Satsuma and Choshu clans forged an alliance with the aim of restoring the Emperor.

Bakumatsu means 'last shogun' or something (the Tokugawa shogunate was known as the 'bakufu') and basically covers the last decade and a half of the Edo period. The bakumatsu is dated from Perry's arrival in 1853 to the end of the shogunate in 1868, but only the last couple of years were actually revolutionary.

"Bakumatsu" literally means "The end of the curtain." The Tokugawa Shogunate was nicknamed the "Bakufu" because they literally placed a curtain around japan blocking it off from outside influences and the Emporer was basically a puppet.
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, that's interesting (although see my post in the What annoys you the most? thread for my opinions of the misuse of the word 'literally' Wink).
Miyuki
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
merric wrote:
Ah, that's interesting (although see my post in the What annoys you the most? thread for my opinions of the misuse of the word 'literally' Wink).

hehe ^^;; well I think I used it in the correct context ne? ^^;;;
Requiem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Miyuki wrote:
hehe ^^;; well I think I used it in the correct context ne? ^^;;;

If you used it properly, the shoguns would have created a physical curtain out of cloth and strung it up around the island. Which does create an amusing mental image Smile
Penguin
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:
If you used it properly, the shoguns would have created a physical curtain out of cloth and strung it up around the island. Which does create an amusing mental image Smile

Hehe, I remember a few years back during a history class, we were studying European history and the teacher mentioned how at the beginning of the Cold War an Iron Curtain descended over the continent separating the rival blocs. Then one guy chipped in "so they actually had this big iron thing strung up across the continent?" Rolling Eyes
musashi
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: where can you buy it? Reply with quote
where is the rurouni kenshin manga available? i'll be in sydney soon so where can i get it there? thnx
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not from Sydney myself, but maybe this thread might have something.
jinsenblade
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found out who you are merric. You have to be a lexicog or Kel Richard's himself Smile

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: