Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Kenshin?

Kenshin?
Author
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Kenshin? Reply with quote
Im interested in rurouni kenshin but i have a quick question

do you watch samurai x or the series first???
Degenerate
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Either way is OK - depends on opinions.

Trust and Betrayal is set (story timeline wise) before the TV series. Also because it was released first, I saw T&B before the series.

With the story, T&B doesn't mean much until the Kyoto storyline of the TV series (2nd season), so some people say its best to watch Kyoto TV then T&B because you will understand T&B more (which is true, when I went back and re-watched T&B after Kyoto I understood more of what was going on).

So there is no real right or wrong order to watch Kenshin. But if you are interested in other opinions, have a search through the Kenshin forum here, there is at least one thread on this topic (if not 10)
Weis
Meryl Strife

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too don't think it matters too much. I would recommend having seen past them all now to watch the TV series first then watching the Trust and Betrayal OVAs after the Kyoto arc (volume 14). Just remember that the TV series and the OVAs are very different, one tells a story and tries to be humourous in parts, but the other is very dark.

Warning: Use with caution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Wing-Gundam
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally, I`d watch Trust and Betrayl first, to get a background on some of the main characters, then watch the Tokyo Saga (First 7 DVD`s). After that, you might want to go back and rewatch Trust and Betrayl (don`t worry, you`ll feel like it, they are superb pieces of anime).
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The way I saw Kenshin was I saw the OVA's, then I read the manga and then I watched the tv series. But the manga doesn't come into this so just ignore that.

Even though I saw the OVA's first I still recommend watching the story in the order TV series first volume 1-14 then the OVA's. After that you can watch the rest of the series, the movie and Seisouhen if you want but I highly recommend against that.
Jef
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok thanks for the info Smile
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a link to a FAQ which answers, among other things, your question (don't scroll down too far though, you may run into some spoilers) ...

http://www.madman.com.au/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7734
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Lacutus
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenshin? Reply with quote
Puke wrote:
Im interested in rurouni kenshin but i have a quick question do you watch samurai x or the series first???

I was thinking the same thing. I don't know much about the series and I was planning which one to get. Do you have to be into the storyline or just watching blood gore if it has any...
Nosaj
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Degenerate wrote:
So there is no real right or wrong order to watch Kenshin.

Disagree.

Well I always believe that you should watch the end of the Kyoto arc before the OAV's firstly because thats how the manga went, but also because I dont think kenshin is meant to be introduced as the Battousai, as he is in the OAV's, but as Rurouni Kenshin, the carefree wanderer with a mysterious past.

The fact is that throughout the first arc of the series, his full potential is only hinted at.

Degenerate wrote:
With the story, T&B doesn't mean much until the Kyoto storyline of the TV series (2nd season), so some people say its best to watch Kyoto TV then T&B because you will understand T&B more (which is true, when I went back and re-watched T&B after Kyoto I understood more of what was going on).

Agreed.
xXRuRi_HoShInOXx
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've only watched a couple of episodes of Samaurai X when I was in the Philippines and I quite liked it but I'm just wondering (and this is going to sound dumb) but what is the difference between Samaurai X and Rurouni Kenshin?
Degenerate
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
xXRuRi_HoShInOXx wrote:
I've only watched a couple of episodes of Samaurai X when I was in the Philippines and I quite liked it but I'm just wondering (and this is going to sound dumb) but what is the difference between Samaurai X and Rurouni Kenshin?

Samurai X is the name ADV game Rurouni Kenshin when it was released in the US. Sam X is really Rurouni Kenshin.

The Sam X Trust & Betrayal dvd's are set 10 years before the RK TV series when Kenshin was a manslayer. Rurouni Kenshin TV series is when Kenshin has given up being a manslayer to become a wanderer.

There is also the movie which ADV released, the movie is set during the TV series, but because it was released by ADV it retained the Sam X name.

Check out the FAQ in the Kenshin forum for more infor.
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If he saw it in the Philippines, then he could be referring to the original Sony English dub (which was a shocker) of the TV series. That's where the title 'Samurai X' originates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
xXRuRi_HoShInOXx
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, the one I watched in the Philippines was dubbed in english and thanx for the info Degenerate. Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: